Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

airsoft forum and discussion board

to add your 468x60 banner, pay ad zone 1
Click Here for the Advanced ASF Search Tool
website template selector
Bookmark and Share

to place your ad here in Zone 3, click here

> General Buy-Sell Forum Rules

THIS AREA IS FOR THE DISCUSSION ABOUT BUYERS, SELLERS, AND AIRSOFT ITEMS AND NO SELLING IS ALLOWED IN THIS AREA - THIS IS THE GENERAL BST DISCUSSION FORUM. PLEASE ALSO READ THE PINNED TOPICS BELOW!

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Admin has an idea we need your input on, post a comment on what you think about this idea...
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #1

Webmaster

Group: Website Administrator
Member No.: 7,858
SOA Name: admin

My Temperament:7,7,2,8
Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 0 (0%)
Add Feedback for admin

I was thinking... It was suggested to me awhile back to setup something where sellers could pay a small fee to have their FS topics pinned or possibly be able to pin and unpin their own topics.... This way they don't have to keep bumping them or have to worry about them getting lost in the hordes of other FS topics here in the BST.

What do you guys think about this and what do you think would be a fair price to pay for that service?

I forgot who mentioned it to me about the pinned FS topics, but I think they said that airsoft ohio or airsoft retreat does a similar thing but since I don't have a clue about either one of those, I thought I'd ask your opinions.

Your thoughts?

This post has been edited by admin: Aug 24 2010, 11:31 AM
Reason for edit: removed the delete post question - issue resolved below

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
serano
post Aug 24 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #2

CQB Devotee - burn and turn as a way of life

Group: Member
Member No.: 33,900

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 1 (100%)
Add Feedback for serano

I think we should have an airsoft retreat system. so that its just basically an Ad but can be updated but not bumped up because then its chronological and easier to find new listings.

--------------------

have a high rof build question? shoot me a pm!

+Quote Post
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #3

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

QUOTE (serano @ Aug 24 2010, 11:10 AM) *
I think we should have an airsoft retreat system. so that its just basically an Ad but can be updated but not bumped up because then its chronological and easier to find new listings.

can you explain the ASR system in detail please for me? thanks

***EDIT*** that sounds like every FS topic will be pinned. That would mean there would be no need for bumping, but it will make 5 or 10 pages (at least) of pinned topics instead of the current way were current (relevant) topics are put back on top by a bump.

If all FS topics are pinned. the seller will either need to unpin sold topics or else there will be an censored2.gif load of outdated / useless pinned / closed topics pinned wasting pages - ya think or ?

Keep in mind that there are currently more than 600 Pages in here right now, just imagine if 20%-30% (or more) of those were pinned? - God forbid we had 300 pages of pinned FS topics lol. think carefully what you may be asking for

This post has been edited by admin: Aug 24 2010, 10:18 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Private Parts
post Aug 24 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #4

STAY FROSTY

Group: Elite
Member No.: 53,090

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 8 (100%)
Add Feedback for Private Parts

QUOTE (admin @ Aug 24 2010, 10:06 AM) *
What do you guys think about this and what do you think would be a fair price to pay for that service?

I don't know, somewhere between $5-$10 seems fair to me.

PP

QUOTE (admin @ Aug 24 2010, 10:15 AM) *
$5-$10 per topic, per day, per month or what?

Didn't think about that. I'd say for two weeks.

PP

--------------------
SELLING A KWA ATP AUTO WITH 50 rd MAG

+Quote Post
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #5

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

QUOTE (Private Parts @ Aug 24 2010, 11:13 AM) *
I don't know, somewhere between $5-$10 seems fair to me.

PP

$5-$10 per topic, per day, per month or what?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knighthawk
post Aug 24 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #6

Shadow

Member No.: 42,095

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 15 (100%)
Add Feedback for Knighthawk

I think pinning them is a great idea...that can go terribly wrong.
I believe we should be able to delete our OWN comments. not thread crappers, because sometimes they have a good point and it makes people aware of a possible scam.

If you give an OP the ability to delete comments, he'll then be like a moderator and you don't want everyone to be too powerful

--------------------
"Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." - John 8:12

35th Mountain Assault Unit is recruiting!
(PM me)
My Navy SEAL kit
Getting into Airsoft? Here's a Guide!

+Quote Post
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 10:27 AM
Post #7

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

QUOTE (IntraTec45 @ Aug 24 2010, 11:19 AM) *
I think pinning them is a great idea...that can go terribly wrong.
I believe we should be able to delete our OWN comments. not thread crappers, because sometimes they have a good point and it makes people aware of a possible scam.

If you give an OP the ability to delete comments, he'll then be like a moderator and you don't want everyone to be too powerful

those are some really good points - thank you.. ok so that rules out sellers being able to delete other member's posts then. There's one issue resolved - thanks. next issue?

I'm a bit confused on your statement; "I think pinning them is a great idea...that can go terribly wrong." ? did you mean it can not go terribly wrong or that its a good idea BUT it could go terribly wrong?

--------------------

+Quote Post
campingtomz
post Aug 24 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #8

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 37,621
SOA Name: campingtomz

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 23 (100%)
Add Feedback for campingtomz

I think its a good and bad idea. the ppl that pay for it will have their sale threads up right there for ppl to see. how many pages do you think that will take up. cause if they are alot of ppl that want this. then there may be pages of FS threads that are pinned. I personally like the current system. it allows for ppl to post in real time and if they want to bump they can. or if they decide to just let it die they can. I have a feeling you will just end up with alot of pinned post and it being hard for ppl to find newer posts.
another idea is you can two different threads set up in the forsale section. have the page where all the sales are now be the page for the paying users. and have a link or separate section for free users that. and have the free user section no bumping and the threads have a 30 day life span. like they are deleted after 30 days. people can re post. and the paying users have bumping ability and are there till the user deleats them

--------------------
I shall call him HERP DE DERP

The most fun you can have with Shenanigans

[airborne101] 8:52 pm: 2 strong Jack and cocks and AB101s feelin gooooooodddddd
[campingtomz] 8:52 pm: umm cocks airborn?
[airborne101] 8:53 pm: ???   
 [airborne101] 8:53 pm: ....oh #$%^&*
[campingtomz] 8:53 pm: im dieing lol
[airborne101] 8:54 pm: I typed cock, not coke

I got starfolder to beg, a wonderful day
[1:33:51 PM] starfolder : PLEASE, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS, TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT!

+Quote Post
Private Parts
post Aug 24 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #9

STAY FROSTY

QUOTE (campingtomz @ Aug 24 2010, 10:38 AM) *
I think its a good and bad idea. the ppl that pay for it will have their sale threads up right there for ppl to see. how many pages do you think that will take up. cause if they are alot of ppl that want this. then there may be pages of FS threads that are pinned. I personally like the current system. it allows for ppl to post in real time and if they want to bump they can. or if they decide to just let it die they can. I have a feeling you will just end up with alot of pinned post and it being hard for ppl to find newer posts.
another idea is you can two different threads set up in the forsale section. have the page where all the sales are now be the page for the paying users. and have a link or separate section for free users that. and have the free user section no bumping and the threads have a 30 day life span. like they are deleted after 30 days. people can re post. and the paying users have bumping ability and are there till the user deleats them

If there's a lot of pinned topics getting in the way, you could raise the price. That would possibly bring down the number of pinned topics. I definetely think that the sellers should be able to delete and edit their own topics whenever they want to.

PP

This post has been edited by Private Parts: Aug 24 2010, 10:43 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #10

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

QUOTE (campingtomz @ Aug 24 2010, 11:38 AM) *
I think its a good and bad idea. the ppl that pay for it will have their sale threads up right there for ppl to see. how many pages do you think that will take up. cause if they are alot of ppl that want this. then there may be pages of FS threads that are pinned. I personally like the current system. it allows for ppl to post in real time and if they want to bump they can. or if they decide to just let it die they can. I have a feeling you will just end up with alot of pinned post and it being hard for ppl to find newer posts....

QUOTE (Private Parts @ Aug 24 2010, 11:41 AM) *
If there's a lot of pinned topics getting in the way, you could raise the price. That would possibly bring down the number of pinned topics. I definetely think that the sellers should be able to delete and edit their own topics whenever they want to.

PP

you are both exactly right, it would have to be priced high enough so that not everyone could afford to do it because otherwise, we're talking possibly hundreds of pages of pinned topics

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knighthawk
post Aug 24 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #11

Shadow

QUOTE (admin @ Aug 24 2010, 11:27 AM) *
those are some really good points - thank you.. ok so that rules out sellers being able to delete other member's posts then. There's one issue resolved - thanks. next issue?

I'm a bit confused on your statement; "I think pinning them is a great idea...that can go terribly wrong." ? did you mean it can not go terribly wrong or that its a good idea BUT it could go terribly wrong?

Pinning sales is good, but then we're going to see a lot of newbies pinning what we all know as useless sale threads.

And then when an OP does sell whatever is in the thread, they might just leave it pinned, so there should be some type of penalty for leaving topics pinned and not marking as sold.

So my point is its a good idea, that CAN lead off into a mess if it is not constructed correctly

--------------------
"Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." - John 8:12

(PM me)
My Navy SEAL kit

+Quote Post
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #12

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

agreed. that's why I'm thinking that if we do something like this, it will have to be priced fairly so that its fair but at the same time, not so high that its not worth it.

I'm pretty sure that very few people will unpin their sold item. Quite a few people don't really care about this website, they just want to sell their item no matter what. Therefore if they pay to pin and sell their item - great. who cares if they close the topic or unpin it. I can see that happening a lot in the case of where someone is trying to get out of airsoft or maybe someone who is not a regular member here but maybe just showed up long enough to sell their item because they know we get a lot of traffic.

You can pretty much bank on the idea of having loads of pinned topics over time. granted new ones will and new replies will get prioritized above other pinned topics, but we will still eventually end up with dozens and dozens of pages of pinned topics - probably into the hundreds of pages in the next 6-12 months (depending on what it costs for a seller to do it)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maverick_v46
post Aug 24 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #13

ASF Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Authorized Seller Elite
Member No.: 29,229

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 56 (100%)
Add Feedback for Maverick_v46

I think this is a bad idea. There will be pages upon pages of pinned topics and the people who don't pay will get buried and have no face time to sell their items. No offence to you admin but I think this is just another way for asf to try and make money, are things really that bad? The current system the way it is works fine the way it is. I was against paying for authorized seller to begin with but now I'm one and have no problem. All change will be accepted eventually I guess.

--------------------

Maverick Custom

Professional work for the average player.
I repair, upgrade, and custom build AEGs, GBBs, and sniper rifles.
PM me to set up a job.
Quality work, Guaranteed.

MavericksRepair @ gmail.com

+Quote Post
psychobunny
post Aug 24 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #14

That guy. You know. The one with the face.

Member No.: 31,834

Add Feedback for psychobunny

QUOTE (IntraTec45 @ Aug 24 2010, 09:04 AM) *
Pinning sales is good, but then we're going to see a lot of newbies pinning what we all know as useless sale threads.

And then when an OP does sell whatever is in the thread, they might just leave it pinned, so there should be some type of penalty for leaving topics pinned and not marking as sold.

So my point is its a good idea, that CAN lead off into a mess if it is not constructed correctly

exactly. It might be convenient for a while and for some of the sellers but I just see a bunch of threads being left unattended and therefore more trouble for admin and all the other mods to have to go and clean up or going through the trouble of bugging all of the sellers with "so did you sell your stuff yet?"

I think bumping is good because it keeps the seller involved in his/her own sale thread. If it keeps being bumped then that means that they are still paying attention to it and actively updating.

Interesting idea but in the long run I don't think you should do it to keep the inconvenience away from yourself and the rest of the mod crew.

--------------------

My Youtube Channel
^For awesome builds and tech videos!

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/hop-inst...al-t225374.html
^ For the absolute best in accuracy in your AEG.

+Quote Post
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #15

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

QUOTE (Scope - MIRAG @ Aug 24 2010, 01:01 PM) *
...No offence to you admin but I think this is just another way for asf to try and make money, are things really that bad? ...

Ya think? lol

no offense taken, but yes we're growing exponentially right now and yes we need to come up with alternative ways to generate money. Currently I am paying $657 a month for 3 servers and we're about to max that out in the next 3 to 6 months at the current rate of growth. In fact, I am generally late on it each month and there's a $20 late fee so In all honesty I have been paying $677 a month for many months now.

***EDIT*** did any of you notice the websites were actually down for about an hour yesterday? They were disconnected for non payment and I had to do some scrambling to get the bill paid. Most of you probably didn't even notice and probably many more would not have cared as long as they don't have to pay for it - right?

Our handful of advertisers and paid members are helping greatly to afford this, but in order to sustain the growth and be able to afford and grow this website, it takes money to do that. I'm pretty sure I don't have to remind many of you that have been around a few years what its like to try and get on the website and you can't because it either takes for ever to load or is crashed with an IPS / database error. those issues were from when we were hitting around 20,000 people a day and before the last server upgrade...

Right now, we're averaging about 35,000-45,000 people a day. When we sustain 50K people a day we're going to start experiencing some server problems. The only "next upgrade" I can do at this point is to add a 4th server and load balance two of them. That's going to be probably be another $200 a month so I'm just a little nervous about it.

If some of you think I'm sitting here getting rich and sipping on margaritas from the little bit of money the website does earn, you're mistaken. It would be nice, but its not happening unfortunately.

This post has been edited by admin: Aug 24 2010, 01:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
theyoungone10
post Aug 24 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #16

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 38,365
SOA Name: theyoungone10

Add Feedback for theyoungone10

QUOTE (Scope - MIRAG @ Aug 24 2010, 09:01 AM) *
I think this is a bad idea. There will be pages upon pages of pinned topics and the people who don't pay will get buried and have no face time to sell their items. No offence to you admin but I think this is just another way for asf to try and make money, are things really that bad? The current system the way it is works fine the way it is. I was against paying for authorized seller to begin with but now I'm one and have no problem. All change will be accepted eventually I guess.

I agree with this. Many of us already pay for selling and while I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to get my topic pinned, neither would everyone else. Your either going to end up with hundreds of pinned topics or maybe even pages of them or you're going to have a few pages and no-one else is going to get any face time.

This post has been edited by theyoungone10: Aug 24 2010, 12:59 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (MARSOCdoc @ Apr 5 2011, 02:17 PM) *
I hate aeg's more than I hate terrorists.... and trust me I HATE terrorists....

Props to Koper

+Quote Post
Private Parts
post Aug 24 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #17

STAY FROSTY

QUOTE (theyoungone10 @ Aug 24 2010, 12:58 PM) *
I agree with this. Many of us already pay for selling and while I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to get my topic pinned, neither would everyone else. Your either going to end up with hundreds of pinned topics or maybe even pages of them or you're going to have a few pages and no-one else is going to get any face time.

That's why we said that it would be affordable but high enough that not everyone would be able to have their topics pinned due to money.

PP

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knighthawk
post Aug 24 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #18

Shadow

How about limiting guests? and getting more ads here and there

--------------------

(PM me)
My Navy SEAL kit

+Quote Post
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #19

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

I agree and hence the reason I didn't "just do it" without getting a feel for what you guys think here in this topic.

I remember now who it was that suggested we do this pinned topic / make it like ASR, suggestion and that person was irritated at me that I would not add him back the "Authorized Seller - Elite" member group for free. Actually I think there were 2 members that suggested it over the last few weeks.

One of them was pissed because I told him that I am no longer adding people to the "Elite Seller" group for free. If they want access to the hidden forums and be able to sell in here they have to pay now.

And again guys, I am aware of the risks in doing this which is why the price (as I said) would have to be high enough that not everyone could afford it (because there would be loads of useless pinned topics as many of you are figuring out) but at the same time the price would have to be fair enough that it would be worth the seller's while to afford it...

What about this...

What about "Authorized Seller - Elite" accounts could pin and unpin topics and to get into this group you have to pay $29.95 - $39.95 a year?

that price is high enough to keep many people out of the "Elite Seller group" but low enough that you can still make it worth your while to pay it. with a limited number of people paying that, it would keep the pinned topics low - maybe around 50 or so on average if I had to guess.

AS-Elite members would also be able to delete their own posts (not their topics - their posts). They would also have a longer edit times to go back and revise their posts. Larger PM boxes and other assorted benefits.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knighthawk
post Aug 24 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #20

Shadow

QUOTE (admin @ Aug 24 2010, 02:15 PM) *
AS-Elite members would also be able to delete their own posts (not their topics - their posts). They would also have a longer edit times to go back and revise their posts. Larger PM boxes and other assorted benefits.

How about letting people delete their topics in the B/S/T threads solely for it to be cleaned up. I know that keeping everything there not only takes up a lot of space, but is also useless, because people arent going to need the same thing they did a year ago. Im just saying it would be nice if we had the option to delete B/S/T threads (after 30-60 days?) if we don't need them anymore without losing post count etc.

--------------------

(PM me)
My Navy SEAL kit

+Quote Post
Private Parts
post Aug 24 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #21

STAY FROSTY

QUOTE (admin @ Aug 24 2010, 01:15 PM) *
What about "Authorized Seller - Elite" accounts could pin and unpin topics and to get into this group you have to pay $29.95 - $39.95 a year?

that price is high enough to keep many people out of the "Elite Seller group" but low enough that you can still make it worth your while to pay it. with a limited number of people paying that, it would keep the pinned topics low - maybe around 50 or so on average if I had to guess.

That sounds like a lot better idea. Just let everyone know about the changes to Authorized Seller-Elite.

PP

--------------------

+Quote Post
MARSOCdoc
post Aug 24 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #22

^ LOOK... IT'S A MILK SHAKE... mehkakaka

Member No.: 49,956

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 9 (100%)
Add Feedback for MARSOCdoc

hey admin, here's my 2 cents. im not a huge seller or contributer to the site, so I understand if my advice seems kinda dumb or doesnt make sense. having people pay to pin topics would be a bad idea to me. you'd have three pages of pinned topics and no one would bother going back 3 pages to see newer sale threads. for that 13 year old who is a "authorized free seller" who doesnt have the income, even 5 bucks to pin a topic, well, his thread wouldnt even stand a chance. it shows way too much preferential treatment to the people who contribute financially to the site, and for an open forum where anyone can join, it seems kind of unfair to me. maybe I'm just looking at the extreme negative side of the situation, but I think the system in place now works, and if it aint broke, don't fix it.

QUOTE (admin @ Aug 24 2010, 07:46 AM) *
it would have to be priced high enough so that not everyone could afford to do it

lol discriminate much? poor people arent allowed on ASF!!!! j/k

this is a great site, and whatever u decide, I'll keep coming back and paying my seller fee. good luck bud.

EDIT... maybe pin THIS topic.... and add a poll

This post has been edited by MARSOCdoc: Aug 24 2010, 01:31 PM

--------------------
-Kagami-Vainguard-MARSOCdoc-<3Bromance<3-

Hepatitis Mac and Cheese FOOLZ!

+Quote Post
Maverick_v46
post Aug 24 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #23

ASF Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 29,229

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 56 (100%)
Add Feedback for Maverick_v46

Admin maybe figure out a way to do a trial period with some sort of select group for a while and leave this topic pinned so opinions can be posted. Have it last for like two weeks or something. I have no idea how you would pick or if they would have to pay or any details for that matter. That is why you are the boss.

--------------------

Maverick Custom

Professional work for the average player.
I repair, upgrade, and custom build AEGs, GBBs, and sniper rifles.
PM me to set up a job.
Quality work, Guaranteed.

MavericksRepair @ gmail.com

+Quote Post
Perturbed Panda
post Aug 24 2010, 01:39 PM
Post #24

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 46,297

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 11 (100%)
Add Feedback for Perturbed Panda

While I see this as an option worth thinking about, I think a more viable option would be to just charge to list items. It's only logical and fair. I mean what auction site doesn't charge it's users to list individual items. If you really want to get into it, you could charge more for xnumber of pics ect. Another option would be to split the FS page into different groups based on the value of the item, ie one for items priced between $5-$50, $51-100, $101-200 and so on. Then have different listing prices.

You do provide a very unique service here. Where esle will someone find this many people interested in airsoft in one spot. Just my two cents.

--------------------
   “Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life. 18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field. 19 By the sweat of your brow
 you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken;
for dust you are and to dust you will return.” Genesis 3:17-19

"When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, well you know the rest."
-I'm not telling you where that's from. Let's see how many other fans of this show are out there.

Beware of the man that owns but one gun.

+Quote Post
Private Parts
post Aug 24 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #25

STAY FROSTY

QUOTE (jlocopb @ Aug 24 2010, 01:39 PM) *
While I see this as an option worth thinking about, I think a more viable option would be to just charge to list items. It's only logical and fair. I mean what auction site doesn't charge it's users to list individual items. If you really want to get into it, you could charge more for xnumber of pics ect. Another option would be to split the FS page into different groups based on the value of the item, ie one for items priced between $5-$50, $51-100, $101-200 and so on. Then have different listing prices.

You do provide a very unique service here. Where esle will someone find this many people interested in airsoft in one spot. Just my two cents.

I think that having different groups going by price would help clean up some of the clutter that is to be expected.

PP

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knighthawk
post Aug 24 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #26

Shadow

QUOTE (jlocopb @ Aug 24 2010, 02:39 PM) *

That would be good but what about the constant price changes? That limits the sellers advertising capabilities.

What about dividing it into 4 sub-topics (AEG/GBB/Gear/Accessories) within the FS thread?

--------------------

(PM me)
My Navy SEAL kit

+Quote Post
SHWELL
post Aug 24 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #27

ASF Citizen

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 49,236

My Temperament:Choleric
Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 12 (100%)
Add Feedback for SHWELL

If it aint broke, you cant fix it.

BUT, I think you are gonna try and pull this off no matter what.. So here is input on how to do it without tainting/polluting BST..

For $15 a month, a seller can have his item listed in in the Elite BST section that is a STICKY to the regualar BST section. items in this section will be listed in chronological order, and the sellers will have priviledges to modify the original thread as needed. If the item is not sold, and the seller is a paid Seller ($5 fee) their listing will then go into the regular BST section.

You could also make the fee $20 and put $5 of it towards a regualr sellers account.. So they pay the $20, have an item in the Elite BST for 30 Days, then it is automatically added to reg BST after the 30 days.

To promote further use of this option, after someone does the initial EBST payment, any other EBST listing for any following 30 day periods will only be $10...

Scenerio:
-Shwell Pays $20 and lists an M4 in the Elite BST (EBST) for 30 Days. ($15 covers Initial EBST fee, and $5 covers seller Account Fee)
-At the end of his 30 days, his thread is then moved to the Regular BST section
-If Shwell wants to list another EBST anytime after that, it would only cost him $10 per 30 days

*If Shwell had previously paid for a sellers account ($5) then he would only have to pay $15 for that initial EBST Thread.

In total this could earn the Site a total of $130 if someone participates for 12 months.

This should appeal to most sellers, because items generally sell within the first 30 days..

This is as simple as I could put it.

This post has been edited by SHWELL: Aug 24 2010, 02:25 PM

--------------------

The Harder I work, the Better I live..... I'm retired, what am I supposed to do now?
Die. Please tell me if I'm right. Love, vietec <3

+Quote Post
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #28

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

QUOTE (IntraTec45 @ Aug 24 2010, 02:21 PM) *
How about letting people delete their topics in the B/S/T threads solely for it to be cleaned up. I know that keeping everything there not only takes up a lot of space, but is also useless, because people arent going to need the same thing they did a year ago. Im just saying it would be nice if we had the option to delete B/S/T threads (after 30-60 days?) if we don't need them anymore without losing post count etc.
no, that's not a good idea. those old topics believe it or not are very helpful in terms of other new members finding us here from search engines. Deleting topics would be one of the largest mistakes of the century. If you doubt what I am saying, ask one of our moderators. We have a level 2 moderator here who is a forum administrator on one of our other forums: http://yourcivildefense.com/board who thought it would be a good idea to do something similiar. I'm not mad at him but awhile back he thought it would be a good idea to go through and clean up that forum by deleting "useless topics" that he felt were not needed...

Needless to say, that very effectively destroyed the new member growth and search engine content that had been indexed. Now we have a forum there that I will have to go back and start over with here in the next few weeks.

QUOTE (MARSOCdoc @ Aug 24 2010, 02:30 PM) *
...maybe I'm just looking at the extreme negative side of the situation, but I think the system in place now works, and if it aint broke, don't fix it....
I appreciate your input and yes you make some valid points - thank you.

QUOTE (jlocopb @ Aug 24 2010, 02:39 PM) *
While I see this as an option worth thinking about, I think a more viable option would be to just charge to list items. It's only logical and fair. I mean what auction site doesn't charge it's users to list individual items. If you really want to get into it, you could charge more for xnumber of pics ect. ...

Thank you, those are also some really good points and suggestions. I have tried to push people towards the http://sportsonlyauction.com (SOA) website were we could do exactly what you are suggesting, but it's like puling teeth and many people prefer a forum type system.

I am not sure how I would implement some sort of "pay per topic" or "pay to list items" on a forum platform. On the SOA website, that could happen very easyily, but I don't have a clue how to make that happen here on this forum.

I have actually been giving a lot of thought to getting rid of the "Free Seller" accounts completely. Recently I went through and removed several hundred people from the AS-Free member group who were not keeping up their part of the deal in using the SOA website. After many complaints, and forcing people to update their profiles and actually use the SOA website, I have re-added many people to the free seller member group here on ASF.

It would be so much easier to forget the whole SOA / free ASF seller issue all together and just make everyone pay for an authorized seller account... But I don't want to handicap the ASF BST from people without a paypal account and nor do I want to kill the traffic to the current BST.

2 years ago when we went to a paid and free system here as it is, there were many people (mostly from ASB) who screamed bloody murder that charging for the ASF BST would be the death of airsoftforum.com. To the surprise of those idiots and many others, including myself, we have actually doubled in size

Now, I find myself having to draw a thin line between doing the right things to afford this website and its growth and making sure that members are happy and enjoy coming here. If this website and forum was a total free-for all, I suspect we'd probably already be doing more than 50,000 people a day, but guess what?

This website would crash and be shut down the first day because I could not afford to pay for it.

I think however, that together, we can find a solution where members can stay happy and enough money is generated to sustain and grow this website.

This post has been edited by admin: Aug 24 2010, 02:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Perturbed Panda
post Aug 24 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #29

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 46,297

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 11 (100%)
Add Feedback for Perturbed Panda

QUOTE (IntraTec45 @ Aug 24 2010, 01:58 PM) *
That would be good but what about the constant price changes? That limits the sellers advertising capabilities.

What about dividing it into 4 sub-topics (AEG/GBB/Gear/Accessories) within the FS thread?

While it does limit the seller, I think it would help buyers find what they're actually looking for. I mean who likes digging through ten pages of threads to see if someone is selling that lipo, cammies or gun you want? I just think it would not only clean things up a bit, but add a lot of structure to the buy/sell forums.

I think those four groups would work fine.

To those who keep saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," please read the entire thread. The site soon will be broke, no pun intended, if we don't figure out a way to raise more money. I'd rather deal with this sooner, rather than later.

--------------------
   “Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life. 18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field. 19 By the sweat of your brow
 you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken;
for dust you are and to dust you will return.” Genesis 3:17-19

"When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, well you know the rest."
-I'm not telling you where that's from. Let's see how many other fans of this show are out there.

Beware of the man that owns but one gun.

+Quote Post
SHWELL
post Aug 24 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #30

ASF Citizen

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 49,236

My Temperament:Choleric
Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 12 (100%)
Add Feedback for SHWELL

you guys are fast..

Check my post for edited info on my idea.

Oh, and instead of merely a Sticky, make that section like an anouncement. Where there is a tab to it on every page.

This post has been edited by SHWELL: Aug 24 2010, 02:28 PM

--------------------

The Harder I work, the Better I live..... I'm retired, what am I supposed to do now?
Die. Please tell me if I'm right. Love, vietec <3

+Quote Post
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #31

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

QUOTE (jlocopb @ Aug 24 2010, 03:17 PM) *
...To those who keep saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," please read the entire thread. The site soon will be broke, no pun intended, if we don't figure out a way to raise more money. I'd rather deal with this sooner, rather than later.

lol very very good insight - yes thank you, you are correct sir. a-salute.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
admin
post Aug 24 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #32

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

QUOTE (SHWELL @ Aug 24 2010, 03:06 PM) *
...For $15 a month, a seller can have his item listed in in the Elite BST section that is a STICKY to the regualar BST section. items in this section will be listed in chronological order, and the sellers will have priviledges to modify the original thread as needed. If the item is not sold, and the seller is a paid Seller ($5 fee) their listing will then go into the regular BST section.

You could also make the fee $20 and put $5 of it towards a regualr sellers account.. So they pay the $20, have an item in the Elite BST for 30 Days, then it is automatically added to reg BST after the 30 days.

To promote further use of this option, after someone does the initial EBST payment, any other EBST listing for any following 30 day periods will only be $10...

Scenerio:
-Shwell Pays $20 and lists an M4 in the Elite BST (EBST) for 30 Days. ($15 covers Initial EBST fee, and $5 covers seller Account Fee)
-At the end of his 30 days, his thread is then moved to the Regular BST section
-If Shwell wants to list another EBST anytime after that, it would only cost him $10 per 30 days

*If Shwell had previously paid for a sellers account ($5) then he would only have to pay $15 for that initial EBST Thread.

In total this could earn the Site a total of $130 if someone participates for 12 months.

This should appeal to most sellers, because items generally sell within the first 30 days..

This is as simple as I could put it.

Thanks for the in depth explanation, but I don't see any way in policing that. I do not see anyway to make that happen short of creating a full time job for someone to make sure people are doing what they are suppose to be doing. Hell, I have a hard enough time as it is making sure the AS-Paid members have a completed profile and the AS-Free members are using the SOA website...

It's needs to be an automated system so that you get what you pay for and when you stop paying, you get returned to your previous member group.

The order of the pinned topics would be as they are now - which is newest topics and topics with newest replies get pushed to the top of the pinned topics list. Additionally, making it $15 to be able to pin your topics would (in my opinion) not be high enough to keep the majority of people from doing it and thus you would be back to the root of the problem here in this discussion with too many useless pinned topics.

In order for the topic to be no longer pinned, you're assuming that either the OP would un-pin it or a moderator would do it. requiring a moderator to do it is too much to ask for, we have a hard enough time just keeping up with what we have now. Additionally, it would be nice if everyone played by the rules, but there will be many many people to pay to pin their topic who will never un pin it causing moderators to have to do it anyway.

If the price is high enough I think the only people to pay it are the people who actually care and are the people to use it accordingly. It's kinda like giving something to someone verse making them pay for it. If you give it to them, there is little value (generally), but if they have to pay for it - the more they have to pay, generally the more they will value and take care of it.

If we could some how force all transactions through the SportOnlyAuction.com website and if we were charging a fee there, then that would be one thing... But history has shown me that the majority of ASF members refuse to use SOA regardless of how easy it is to use. That site is easy, clean, functional, organized, etc but it just doesn't work in many cases or so I am told. And therefore, I have no way to charge a fee per sale (which is the fairest method by far) as someone just pointed out above.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xander Bolanos
post Aug 24 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #33

If ain't Custom it ain't Mine
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,066
SOA Name: Xander Bolanos

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 75 (100%)
Add Feedback for Xander Bolanos

admin I pmed you the basic info on gold ups on pinning items to top of the page for 4 days and how to set up a bump box for bumping to top only once every 24 hours not everytime someone posts, also if you set up a annual supporting membership with free giveaways and specific forum for only asm memberships it would generate capitol. at the end of the day this is a buisness that is costing you money if you can't make a profit thats fine but losing money is not good for you is it? pm me as I emailed you the break down all ready. I can tell you people are going to be pissed if you change things but my gold up idea like pbn's, will allow free listings and if you check pbn every classified page that has gold ups isn't page after page of gold ups the most I've ever seen is 3/4 of a page.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yee245
post Aug 24 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #34

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 35,467

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 6 (100%)
Add Feedback for yee245

Just to add in my two cents, but I don't usually browse through all the sale threads in the actual subforum. I am probably part of a minority that usually just goes through the "View New Posts" feature and just reads through the titles and descriptions of the new threads that have replies, selectively looking at threads that might be of interest. With a system with stickied sale threads that probably won't get bumped like normal sale threads, I would not see any of those threads show up, giving them a disadvantage from the type of user like me. Granted, I generally am only looking for specific things when I go browsing through the threads, so I wouldn't be the typical user that this system would be meant for.

For the general idea of paying a premium to be able to get your threads stickied in the BST area, I think it could be a good source of a little bit of extra income for ASF, but as it has been mentioned, there is a concern about the forum eventually filling up with so many stickied threads that they'll start taking up the first page, then the second, and so on. If there was a way that you could have another tier of authorized seller above elite such that they had the same permissions as elite, but could also sticky their threads, I think that might be slightly better, since it may affect the OT section if suddenly, you had to pay a significantly larger premium just to access that area, but didn't necessarily need the BST powers. Hopefully that made sense. Anyway, back to what I was saying about the forum filling up with stickies, would it be possible to set it up such that those users could sticky their thread, but it would only remain that way for a certain amount of time, like say a week, before falling back to being a normal thread? The seller could then "bump" their thread back up again by restickying it, which they could do an unlimited amount of times as long as they have the subscription, so it would effectively be like having a week-long bump that sort of supersedes the normal thread bumping. That could help eliminate those threads of some users just coming to the forum to sell one item, then leave without dealing with their thread after the sale. I don't know if it's possible to do, but it seems like it could help reduce the amount of stickies that are always up. I just don't know if it would be possible to automate something to unsticky threads that haven't had any activity in a given amount of time, or if that would require that there be a moderator manually doing that which could be as frequently as once a week or something, just to clear up some of the excess stickies.

Another idea that I'm not sure would be possible is to have some sort of fee that would allow a user to somehow enhance the listing of the title of the topic, so it would stand out more. The only real way I can think of off the top of my head would be to somehow allow titles of topics to have a different color or something that would catch more attention than the basic ones. The seller would still need to bump their thread, but as a user is browsing, it might lead to more views when on the first page, subsequent pages, or the "view new posts."

As for pricing, I can't really give a good opinion, since I personally wouldn't have a need for those extra features, so I can't give them a real dollar value. Currently, I am content with my occasional sales to put it up and bump it once every day or two.

+Quote Post
leejinwen
post Aug 24 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #35

kk

Member No.: 11,541

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 35 (100%)
Add Feedback for leejinwen

how about having a limit of ~10 a week on these pinned ads

I personally won't use it though since bumping once a day is sufficient enough. If someone saw the ad once and doesn't want to buy it, having it on the top constantly won't either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Miah
post Aug 24 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #36

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 19,177

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 9 (100%)
Add Feedback for Miah

Yes, I was also thinking to keep from ending up with pages of stickied ads that limited slots is the way to go. There are say 5-10 slot available for a week's time period & first-come-first-served on an empty slot.

Also like the idea of very special characters or colors/fonts to make ads stand out for those that are willing to pay extra.

This post has been edited by Miah: Aug 24 2010, 05:37 PM

+Quote Post
Sir. SAW
post Aug 24 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #37

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 56,893

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 12 (92.9%)
Add Feedback for Sir. SAW

Well, I mean, the whole pinning thing doesn't seem to me like a great idea. It would put so many pinned topics at the top all the time, and they would just stack up and stack up. I really like the way you have it now, but by pinning topics, that means one topic would stay at the top longer. One thing I think may or may not be helpful (share your thoughts on this guys) is to offer a service which bumps your b/s/t thread yto the top automatically at a specific time. If anyones like me, you tend to forget or not have the time to go to your thread and bump. This service could, or could not, be very popular. Pay say $2.50 per thread to automatically bump. Would this even be possible?

--------------------

+Quote Post
carbonfibreguy
post Aug 24 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #38

That weird guy down the block.

Member No.: 52,093

Add Feedback for carbonfibreguy

I say that the thing should be pinned for two days or such, and have a limited number of slots available so that money can come in quick.

Any other way, IMO, would be lame, mainly because we have some sellers that like to bump all the time. It would give them an unfair advantage, but still.

Also, just another recommendation that has to do with the B/S/T forums. Could there be a list of options in a search criteria, and have sellers PROPERLY title their ads (I hate seeing those OMGWTFBBQ GIGANORMOUS SELL BIGEZT ZELL EVUR!1!!), and have it so under criteria you choose, you'll find sales specifically related or similar. I'm not talking about sell individual items, but to have it set up rougly on that.

--------------------

^^^Props to KOPER for the awesome sig^^^
QUOTE ( Romeo_Delta @ Jan 16 2011, 01:13 PM) *
The best way I can describe it is you're a single core processor trying to pretend to be a dual core via hyper-threading.
Ask Carbon thread~

+Quote Post
league 4
post Aug 24 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #39

At Benning as of 4/24, no PMs please
Group Icon

Member No.: 42,124
SOA Name: league 4

My Temperament:tree fiddy
Add Feedback for league 4

Am I the only one that doesn't think you should have to pay to post ad's on a forum? If anything it just decreases traffic. I personally know 3 people that don't go on anymore because of that, and I go on here much less.

--------------------

My guns:
http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/League-4...ns-t160698.html

And just so you know, that's not me in my avatar....

+Quote Post
carbonfibreguy
post Aug 24 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #40

That weird guy down the block.

Member No.: 52,093

Add Feedback for carbonfibreguy

QUOTE (league 4 @ Aug 24 2010, 04:17 PM) *
Am I the only one that doesn't think you should have to pay to post ad's on a forum? If anything it just decreases traffic. I personally know 3 people that don't go on anymore because of that, and I go on here much less.

If nobody paid, then this forum would cease to exist.

--------------------

^^^Props to KOPER for the awesome sig^^^
QUOTE ( Romeo_Delta @ Jan 16 2011, 01:13 PM) *
The best way I can describe it is you're a single core processor trying to pretend to be a dual core via hyper-threading.
Ask Carbon thread~

+Quote Post

to add your banner to our network, click here
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Armory Tech Airsoft FoxAirsoft.com AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com ACMGear.com
AsiaAirsoft.com YZH.hkm TrinityAirsoft.com AirsoftRC.com eHobby Asia Vote for us
to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you enjoy using this website, please please support us financially with a small donation or upgrade your account. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend about us and share us on your favorite social networking website.

content copyright AirsoftForum.com 2003-2013 an Airsoft Forum, Airsoft Chat Room, Airsoft Auctions, Airsoft Reviews, and Airsoft Classified Ads Community
Get your discount from Armory Tech Airsoft
Get airsoft guns and more with award winning customer service at Trinity Airsoft
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
Professional Airsoft Solutions
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3