Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Airsoft Laws In Ny
Captain Wright
post Aug 30 2006, 09:16 AM
Post #1

ASF Citizen

Group: Member
Member No.: 23,099

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 0 (0%)
Add Feedback for Captain Wright

Is it illegal to buy/sell or play with airsoft guns in NY state? Any links or info would help.

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ez way out
post Aug 30 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #2

ASF Citizen

Group: Banned User
Member No.: 21,911

Add Feedback for ez way out

QUOTE (Captain Wright @ Aug 30 2006, 11:46 PM) *
Is it illegal to buy/sell or play with airsoft guns in NY state? Any links or info would help.

I was gonna sell my airsoft gun to a guy and he then got back to me and said he couldn't buy it without a gun permit or its illigal. So I think it is but I would still double check.

--------------------
gun:http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/photopost/data/2/medium/1047Airsoft_004.jpg
I HAVE G3 STANDARD MAG AND P90 HICAP AND STANDARD MAGS FOR SALE. sEND ME A PM IF YOUR INTERESTED.

+Quote Post
Red
post Aug 30 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #3

You should see the other guy

Member No.: 22,321

Add Feedback for Red

It's perfectly legal to buy/sell as long as it has it's orange tip. You can own one as long as you aren't in NYC. You need no permit.

--------------------
-_- Yo
QUOTE (Bear @ Jul 28 2007, 01:06 AM) *
It's got plenty of punch when you put rounds into somebody's face.

WELL R8 100,000 shots w/pdi130, bushings, spring guide|Well R6, 100,000 shots, guarder sp100, JG piston/head, spring guide, gearbox shell, bushings|JG AK47 Beta Spetz, 40,000 rounds and dead|JG M16A3, 65,000 shots, original motor now!

+Quote Post
Lutz
post Aug 30 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #4

ASF Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Authorized Seller Elite
Member No.: 9,056

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 2 (100%)
Add Feedback for Lutz

I can't recall but I think there's even some parts of NYC that you can buy/sell/trade legally but either way for the majority of NYS it is perfectly legal to buy/sell/own/operate an airsoft gun.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Captain Wright
post Aug 30 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #5

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 23,099

Add Feedback for Captain Wright

Okay, thanks. I don't live in NYC, I live in Western NY state in Cheektowaga.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Polluted_Mindz
post Sep 4 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #6

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 23,777

Add Feedback for Polluted_Mindz

QUOTE (Captain Wright @ Aug 30 2006, 10:18 AM) *
Okay, thanks. I don't live in NYC, I live in Western NY state in Cheektowaga.

Your Fine, anything outside of The Five boroughs of New York is legat anything within those boundaries are illegal without a license, and if caught without a license will be tried as if it was a real gun!

+Quote Post
Hawks
post Oct 2 2006, 03:00 AM
Post #7

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 24,523

Add Feedback for Hawks

QUOTE (Polluted_Mindz @ Sep 4 2006, 04:54 PM) *
Your Fine, anything outside of The Five boroughs of New York is legat anything within those boundaries are illegal without a license, and if caught without a license will be tried as if it was a real gun!

How can you get a lincense?

+Quote Post
Hawks
post Oct 3 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #8

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 24,523

Add Feedback for Hawks

I have a question. The law states that you can't have any type of air soft gun in New York City, but what if you get it shipped to some where outside of the city and bring it into the city disassembled. That won’t be considered an air soft gun if it's just air soft gun pieces Right? Or another example is what if I have a barrel in a friends house and the other gun pieces in my house wouldn't that be legit because it's not an air soft gun if it doesn't have a barrel (because it can't shoot of course) Any body agrees, disagrees...thinks am stupid. What exactly? Please help me because it seems unfair that I can never own a gun of my own unless I move out of my home. I understand not using it in New York City, but not owning one is kinda harsh.

+Quote Post
Von Luck
post Oct 4 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #9

Von Luck

Group: Elite
Member No.: 19,880

Add Feedback for Von Luck

If I remember correctly, within the 5 boroughs of NY City, you can have airsoft gun only for the purpose of transporting through the city, I.e, in a box from outside of the city to outside of the city. The destination cannot be the city. So, you cannot buy it from outside, take it apart and assemble in your home. Then again, who's going to know what's in your home, but that's how the NY law is.

And if you just have parts, that shouldn't be illegal. For example, even if you have a tiny trigger piece of a real steel without a license, you only have a metal piece.

I think NY law includes anything that has the shape of a real hand gun or rifle, whether or not it shoots. The only exception is a tiny toy, or colorful toy gun, or pictures.

As I interpret the federal and NY city law, NY city law is illegal law. But I am nobody. The NY state court did ignore the federal law, and went with what senator Bob Dole said. Sanators can say that his state should not follow the law. But does he have power to ignore the written law? No.

I think NY state is only trying to ban the airsoft guns so that there wouldn't be stupid kids getting shot at by police in a robbery with airsoft guns. The intention is good, and not a lot of New Yorkers would disagree. But legal analysis is simply not there. It's NY court trying to make their own law legal, until somebody tackles the issue in the federal court. Getting into Federal court is not easy, so unless a big company sues the state in a federal court, the NY airsoft ban will be there. But if you were Tokyo Marui, do you want to be blamed for robberies that happens with Marui airsoft guns? It's bad publicity for the company, so they leave it alone. I take it that the NY airsoft ban will be there for decades. Because even though NY court interpret the Federal law wrong, no one wants to change it.

I, for one, certainly do not want to be blamed for letting stupid kids to initiate 10 robberies a year with airsoft guns. If some of those kids get killed by police, the news papers and TV networks will start publicizing the danger of air soft guns, and the Congress could start a nation wide airsoft ban. Nobody wants that. Even if you want to start an airsoft store in NY city, and you could sue the city in a federal court, I'd say, please don't do it. Airsoft should be played in a private field, not in a crowded city, anyway.

--------------------
There is nothing more unpatriotic than unquestioning patriotism.

+Quote Post
TEN36VX
post Oct 6 2006, 04:12 AM
Post #10

ASF Citizen

Group: user_has_broken_email
Member No.: 15,628

Add Feedback for TEN36VX

How 'bout asking these guys? They deal with laws all day...

Cheektowaga Police Department
3223 Union Road
Cheektowaga, New York 14227
Non-Emergency: 686-3500
http://www.tocny.org/police/

Erie County Sheriff's Office
10 Delaware Ave, Buffalo, New York, 14202 - (716) 858-7608, (716) 662-5554
1 Sheriff's Dr., Orchard Park, New York, 14127 - (716) 662-6150
http://www.erie.gov/sheriff/contact_us.asp

Ask about local laws regarding 'replica firearms' and 'BB guns'. because I can bet if you just ask about airsoft the desk officer will have no idea what you are talking about.

And you can even post here what you find out to help out other folks in your area...
(specific code section and verbage is nice)

--------------------
10% luck
20% skill
15% concentrated power of will
5% pleasure
50% pain
100% reason to remember the name.

+Quote Post

to add your banner to our network, click here
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 03:34 AM

Armory Tech Airsoft FoxAirsoft.com AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com ACMGear.com
AsiaAirsoft.com YZH.hkm TrinityAirsoft.com AirsoftRC.com eHobby Asia Vote for us
to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you enjoy using this website, please please support us financially with a small donation or upgrade your account. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend about us and share us on your favorite social networking website.

content copyright AirsoftForum.com 2003-2013 an Airsoft Forum, Airsoft Chat Room, Airsoft Auctions, Airsoft Reviews, and Airsoft Classified Ads Community
Get your discount from Armory Tech Airsoft
Get airsoft guns and more with award winning customer service at Trinity Airsoft
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
Professional Airsoft Solutions
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3