> Camouflage
Rating 3 V
Graham Abram
post Jul 11 2007, 02:03 PM
Post #1

Determined

Group: Elite
Member No.: 20,906

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 0 (0%)
Add Feedback for Graham Abram

Digital Camouflage:
Digital camouflage is often reffered to as "disruptive" camouflage. This is because of the effect the the digital pattern has on the human eye. The digital pattern as you may already know is comprised of thousands of small squares (pixels as they are more commonly known) of various colors, which for the camouflage pattern. Not only are these digital patterned uniforms easier to make, they also have a suprising and profound effect on the human eye. The human eye has a startaling amount of trouble focusing on the thousands of tiny squares comprising a uniform, thus making it more difficult to keep aim at a person wearing a digital uniform. you may not conciously notice this effect it has on your eye, but trust it is there. Not only do the digital patterned uniforms blend in quite well with their respective backgrounds, they they also as said above make it harder for an enemy to get a good shot at if if your are spotted. Digital Camouflage is being adopted my all US branches of the military, aswell as many other foriegn militaries. The digital camouflage pattern is commonly known as "digital pattern" or "digie cammies", pronouced as: "dih-jee".

Woodland MARPAT:
MARPAT is an acronymn which takes the place of the words "MARine Disruptive PATtern". MARPAT is a trademark of the United States Marine Corps; and is the new design currently in use by the Marine Corps. MARPAT was designed on the basis of CADPAT (Canadian Patern) after the Marine Corps higher brass saw the results of NATO tests made of the new CADPAT design in 1998. The colors used are based on Tigerstripe camouflage, however not the Vietnam issue pattern; the colors balck and brown have been swapped among other various changes. The MARPAT uniform is produced by highly complex fractal equations, resulting in a non-repeating pattern. In addition to the Marines trademarking the name, they are also in the process of patenting the new camouflage patterns. Unlike the Army Combat Uniform, MARPAT BDU's are not sold to civilians, although imitations are available. Authentic MARPAT material is distinguishable by a small EGA emblem (Eagle Globe and Anchor [USMC]) incorporated into the pattern. As of 2004 the woodland MARPAT uniform has been used in active duty by the Marine Corps. At first, the MARPAT uniform encountered a resistance from Marines, however after further field time, the uniform was widely accepted into all USMC forces. If compared to a white background, the MARPAT uniform would look surprisingly obvious, and would seem to catch attention easially, but when used in an operative environment, its textured appearance and lack of hard edges created by large splotches make it much more effective than traditional patterns.

The MARPAT uniform has also been designed to be more combat effective than older designs. The most obvious change are the pockets; the older BDU's has symmetrical breast and waist pockets, the MARPAT uniform however has breast and waist pockets which are tilted inward, towards the center of the body, this allows for easier access during combat situations. Also, this slant in the pocket design allows for the wearer's hand opposite the pocket can access the pocket when a vest is worn. Another addition on the subject of pockets are the sleeve pockets located on either shoulder; this allows for the wearer to access the pockets regardless of any gear being worn. Another improvement is the addition of pouches to allow easier replacement of elbow and knee pads. The entire MARPAT uniform is also made in a better form of construction thus allowing it to withstand higher levels of beating. In addition, the MARPAT uniform features a anti-infared coating that reduces there visibility to night vision goggles, this can be a major advantaje during night ops. The Marine Corps also uses a new type of combat boot; they are made of flesh-out brown leather as opposed to the black "spit-shine" combat boots. The newer brown boots feature an embosses EDA of the outer heel, thus identifying them as USMC issue combat boots.

Desert MARPAT:
Accepted for use in 2004 by all forces of the USMC, the desert MARPAT uniform is perfectly similar to woodland MARPAT in every respect, with exception of color. Th desert MARPAT uniform consists of 4-5 shades of brown and tan.

Urban MARPAT:
The urban MARPAT uniform was set to entered into service for the USMC in 2004, however was never accepted. It is said to be a better alternative for urban combat than the urban BDU however.

ACU:
The ACU (Army Combat Uniform) is, like MARPAT, a digital pattern camouflage combat uniform. It is on occasion refered to as UCP (Universal Camouflage Pattern). The uniform blands the colors, green, tan and grey together thus theoretically enabling it to work efficiently in a woodland, desert and urban envirement. It also consists of numerous design improvements based on the imput of US Army soldiers. The replacement of the Army's current woodland BDU pattern with the ACU was set to start in April of 2005; however the process began approximately two months earlier than scheduled through RFI (Rapid Fielding Initiative) and was scheduled to be completed by December 2007. The ACU and its component materials will be manufactured by the existing industrial infrastructure in the U.S., which produces the current battle dress uniform.

There is a large number of improvemetns over the BDU applied to the ACU. First of all, the hook and loop systems (velcro); all patches, rank insignia and name tapes on the ACU are equiped with a hook and loop system providing for easy application and replacement of patches. At first the addition was praised by Army soldiers, however after longer periods of ttime in the field, these hook and loop systems only proved to fail constantly, and need replacement after medium periods of time in the field. On the subject of patches, there is now a small place to put a rank insignia on the breast bone area of the ACU jacket. The ACU also includes the new IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) system; this is a very small patch on each shoulder pocket which is highly visible to infared light thus allowing for soldiers with night vision goggles to identify eachother. The ACU also sports a fancy front zipper closure instead of buttons; this allows for quick removal and wearing of the ACU jacket. The pockets of the ACU are tilted, just as on the MARPAT uniform for easy access when a veast is worn. The cuffs of the sleeves also use the hook and loop system to make for easy adjustment and removal. A neat addition to the left shoulder pocket is a 3-pen holder. Like the MARPAT, the ACU also has small pouches for insertion and replacement of knee and elbow pads. The thigh pockets on the ACU trousers are also tilted forward for maximum accesability. And finally, the ACU also now requires the wearing of tan suede combat boots, either hot weather or temperate weather versions.

As said above, the ACU is meant to be used in desert, urban and woodland envirements. However according to the word of many US Army soldiers, the use of the ACU in a woodland area during combat would be suicide. Because of its light colors, the ACU would never blend in correctly into a woodland envirement. After trying out this theory myself with issue ACU's, I found the same result; using the ACU in a woodland area is the equivalent of wearing full black clothing in a field of knee high bright brown hay, it just doesn't work.

Woodland BDU:
The woodland BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) pattern is not a digital pattern and is overall the most commonly used camouflage pattern in the United States, and possibly most of the world. It is somewhat similar to the DPM which will be discussed later on in this article; however the colors (black, brown, tan and green) appear more as blotches than 'brush strokes'. This is the camouflage pattern used since 1981 though present by the U.S Armed Forces. The woodland BDU is currently being fazed out of use by the military however is still occasionally seen worn by soldiers. This camouflage pattern, as the name implies, was meant for use in woodland terrain only; which is one reason it has been phased out. Though being phased out by most military branches, the U.S. Air Force is still issuing the woodland BDU and selling the uniforms at BX's; however the air force does plan to move onto a different camouflage pattern known as the ABU (Airman Battle Uniform) which will be discussed later. Most would argue that the camouflaging ability of the woodland BDU is outstanding, and through my experience I have found it to be.

The woodland BDU uniform consists of trousers and a 'blouse'. The trousers have two cargo pockets located on each outer thigh, which can be opened and close using two OD buttons on each pocket; these thigh pockets are horizontally aligned to provide best accessibility for the wearer. Also on the trousers, there are two standard pockets on the front just below the belt line similar to what would be found on blue jeans; these pockets do not have any closure system. The last of the pockets on the trousers are the two 'butt pockets' which can be closed using two OD buttons, and are located in an area as the name implies. The trousers consist also of 7 belt loops, two straps to tighten the waist, five buttons in the fly and one flap that can be buttoned up to be across the cross area on the inside. As for the blouse, there are four simple pockets, the two upper pockets (breast pockets) and the two lower pockets, all of which can also be buttoned shut with two OD buttons. These four pockets are horizontally aligned. The blouse has five buttons in the front 'button line', the top of which is rarely buttoned. Also, the cuff consists of two-three buttons and a small flap used to adjust the size of the cuff. Last but not least, there are double layers of cloth on the elbows and knees of this uniform.

One small note I must include: You may notice small lighter colored lines in a grid pattern all over your woodland BDU, this grid is known as rip-stop, which as the name implies, stops small rips in your uniform from becoming larger. This rip-stop is made of a stronger material than the regular cloth used for the rest of the uniform.

DBDU:
The DBDU (Desert Battle Dress Uniform) was the basic desert patterned uniform used by the U.S. Armed Forces during the Persian Gulf War era of the 1990's. This camouflage pattern is also known as: chocolate chip camouflage, cookie dough camouflage, choc-chip or 6 color desert camouflage. This uniform got its many nick names from the fact that the camouflage pattern resembles chocolate chip cookie dough. This camouflage pattern consists of light tan, tan, brown, dark brown, black and white. The DBDU is constructed just as the Woodland BDU, the pockets are in the same positions, and generally the uniform is made out of the same material.

Though the DBDU became more known to the public during the Persian Gulf War, it began development in the 1960's. The U.S. military decided to begin the development of a desert type camouflage for the possible need that they may have to 'participate' in the Arab-Israeli conflicts, the DBDU was mainly being developed in the southwestern deserts of the U.S. When hostilities in the Middle East diminished the DBDU was put away for possible later use and was forgotten. It was not until the Persian Gulf War that the DBDU actually began to see full service. After the Persian Gulf War, FORSCOM soldiers in the Sinai Desert began to find that the black and white rock pattern on the camouflage increased the amount of contrast and thus reduced its effectiveness; not too long thereafter the DCU was developed (3 color desert camouflage).

DCU:
The DCU (3 color desert camouflage or coffee stain camo) is more similar to the Woodland BDU than that of the DBDU, however instead of greens, blacks and browns, it hosts a tan, brown and greenish olive color. The DCU is now actually no longer in use and has been replaced by the ACU by the Army, and the Desert MARPAT uniform by the Marine Corps.

DPM:

Urban BDU:

Concrete Jungle BDU:

Tiger Stripe:

Digital Tiger Stripe:

ABU:

CADPAT-tw:

CADPAT-ar:

DP Smock:

Flecktarn:

Tropical Flecktarn:

Irish DPM:

Japanese JGSDF:

Desert DPM:

Desert Tiger Stripe:

OD:

Black:

White:

Tan:

Ghillie:

(NOTE: This image is still being developed, and will be altered and updated at the same time as the written part of this article.)

This article will be continuosly updated with new information of different camouflage patterns.

Cheers, Graham.

This post has been edited by Graham Abram: Oct 17 2007, 04:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Graham Abram
post Jul 19 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #2

Determined

Updated: 7-18-07 --- Information about DBDU's and DCU's.

Pictures of all listed camouflage patterns will be added soon.

This post has been edited by Graham Abram: Jul 19 2007, 01:15 AM

--------------------
[ -To Be A Sniper- -Firing The Bolt Action Rifle- -All Around Safety- ]
-Notable members of ASF: Von Luck, Wizkid009, Pirate, Domskidan, Paisly Pirate

+Quote Post
Paisley Pirate
post Jul 30 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Drives an S60R, but is NOT sparkly...

Group: Member
Member No.: 11,740

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 1 (100%)
Add Feedback for Paisley Pirate

Don't forget my personal favorite, Alpenflage.

Also, Tiger Stripe and the USAF's new digital Tiger Stripe.

Also, what about the "aftermarket" camos, such as realtree and others?

Good descriptives... maybe some pix would be nice.

--------------------
-THE Paisley Pirate- <=== Read at your own peril
Need a Gun worked on? Fast Turn Around. Any Make. References.

+Quote Post
Graham Abram
post Aug 1 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #4

Determined

QUOTE (Paisley Pirate @ Jul 30 2007, 07:08 PM) *
Don't forget my personal favorite, Alpenflage.

Also, Tiger Stripe and the USAF's new digital Tiger Stripe.

Also, what about the "aftermarket" camos, such as realtree and others?

Good descriptives... maybe some pix would be nice.

The USAF's tiger stripe is known as the ABU, also I will be soon providing pictures of all listed camouflage patterns. I also will try to get as many updates into this article as possible.

+Quote Post
Graham Abram
post Oct 11 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #5

Determined

Article Updated: 11 October, 2007

There is a nice new image of a couple different types of camounflage that many people have been asking for, it is not the final version, just something I threw together.

--------------------
[ -To Be A Sniper- -Firing The Bolt Action Rifle- -All Around Safety- ]
-Notable members of ASF: Von Luck, Wizkid009, Pirate, Domskidan, Paisly Pirate

+Quote Post
Buzzcutjoe
post Apr 5 2008, 08:24 AM
Post #6

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 21,184

Add Feedback for Buzzcutjoe

Wow, I want to know where to get digital tiger stripe lol, I would think that works well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FenderJoshBass
post Aug 7 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #7

Chairorist

Member No.: 41,998

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 2 (100%)
Add Feedback for FenderJoshBass

You should definitely include some terrain-specific (hunting a-surrender.gif ) patterns, especially RealTree or Mossy Oak-type stuff. I'm currently looking for an outfit that'll work with both my bow AND my airsoft gun.

Just a suggestion for others, but in my case ACU or woodland would be OK for me.

This post has been edited by FenderJoshBass: Aug 7 2008, 10:23 PM

--------------------
Global Assault Team<- "Like" for instant badassery.

+Quote Post
Bman
post Sep 3 2008, 06:56 PM
Post #8

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 41,440

Add Feedback for Bman

QUOTE (FenderJoshBass @ Aug 7 2008, 11:20 PM) *
You should definitely include some terrain-specific (hunting a-surrender.gif ) patterns, especially RealTree or Mossy Oak-type stuff. I'm currently looking for an outfit that'll work with both my bow AND my airsoft gun.

Just a suggestion for others, but in my case ACU or woodland would be OK for me.

I'm not sure if you want just plain hunting camo, but I got some from pain.gif's Sporting Goods and it's got leaves, twigs, and other stuff on it, and it also works well for me.

+Quote Post
EIREGOBRACH
post Sep 14 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #9

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 43,315

Add Feedback for EIREGOBRACH

QUOTE (Bman @ Sep 4 2008, 12:56 AM) *
I'm not sure if you want just plain hunting camo, but I got some from pain.gif's Sporting Goods and it's got leaves, twigs, and other stuff on it, and it also works well for me.

Digital Jungle Stalker Camouflage!

+Quote Post
Fatal_
post Sep 14 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #10

ASF Citizen

Group: user_has_broken_email
Member No.: 42,678

Add Feedback for Fatal_

You had also forgotten snow marpat.

real tree - this camo is really only for hunting, it works great for non movement.

--------------------
(Phantom *Black Cell* @ Oct 24 2008, 04:50 PM)
I had two grandpas in the military
One in the Marines and one in the Navy...
I trained with them everyday, from early in the morning to late in the evening. Physically and mentally.
They even taught me gun skills that they both learned in their tours of duty. I did this for a few years and still remember everything.
Run two miles everyday since you were nine and you will understand how strong a will you need to be in the military.
That is my training.

+Quote Post
wolfeye
post Sep 16 2008, 03:09 AM
Post #11

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 43,351

Add Feedback for wolfeye

I'd be great if you would feature the current favourite camo amongst the SOCOM community- MC or Multicam from Crye Precision.

I play airsoft in a tropical environment. When I lie prone, my teamates claim that if it weren't for my black balaclava and goggles, I would've blended entirely into the background. So I feel this camo is worth mentioning at least.

This post has been edited by wolfeye: Sep 16 2008, 03:17 AM

+Quote Post
Ranger9
post Oct 16 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #12

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 44,120

Add Feedback for Ranger9

QUOTE (Graham Abram @ Jul 11 2007, 02:03 PM) *

Digital Camouflage:
Digital camouflage is often reffered to as "disruptive" camouflage. This is because of the effect the the digital pattern has on the human eye. The digital pattern as you may already know is comprised of thousands of small squares (pixels as they are more commonly known) of various colors, which for the camouflage pattern. Not only are these digital patterned uniforms easier to make, they also have a suprising and profound effect on the human eye. The human eye has a startaling amount of trouble focusing on the thousands of tiny squares comprising a uniform, thus making it more difficult to keep aim at a person wearing a digital uniform. you may not conciously notice this effect it has on your eye, but trust it is there. Not only do the digital patterned uniforms blend in quite well with their respective backgrounds, they they also as said above make it harder for an enemy to get a good shot at if if your are spotted. Digital Camouflage is being adopted my all US branches of the military, aswell as many other foriegn militaries. The digital camouflage pattern is commonly known as "digital pattern" or "digie cammies", pronouced as: "dih-jee".

Woodland MARPAT:
MARPAT is an acronymn which takes the place of the words "MARine Disruptive PATtern". MARPAT is a trademark of the United States Marine Corps; and is the new design currently in use by the Marine Corps. MARPAT was designed on the basis of CADPAT (Canadian Patern) after the Marine Corps higher brass saw the results of NATO tests made of the new CADPAT design in 1998. The colors used are based on Tigerstripe camouflage, however not the Vietnam issue pattern; the colors balck and brown have been swapped among other various changes. The MARPAT uniform is produced by highly complex fractal equations, resulting in a non-repeating pattern. In addition to the Marines trademarking the name, they are also in the process of patenting the new camouflage patterns. Unlike the Army Combat Uniform, MARPAT BDU's are not sold to civilians, although imitations are available. Authentic MARPAT material is distinguishable by a small EGA emblem (Eagle Globe and Anchor [USMC]) incorporated into the pattern. As of 2004 the woodland MARPAT uniform has been used in active duty by the Marine Corps. At first, the MARPAT uniform encountered a resistance from Marines, however after further field time, the uniform was widely accepted into all USMC forces. If compared to a white background, the MARPAT uniform would look surprisingly obvious, and would seem to catch attention easially, but when used in an operative environment, its textured appearance and lack of hard edges created by large splotches make it much more effective than traditional patterns.

The MARPAT uniform has also been designed to be more combat effective than older designs. The most obvious change are the pockets; the older BDU's has symmetrical breast and waist pockets, the MARPAT uniform however has breast and waist pockets which are tilted inward, towards the center of the body, this allows for easier access during combat situations. Also, this slant in the pocket design allows for the wearer's hand opposite the pocket can access the pocket when a vest is worn. Another addition on the subject of pockets are the sleeve pockets located on either shoulder; this allows for the wearer to access the pockets regardless of any gear being worn. Another improvement is the addition of pouches to allow easier replacement of elbow and knee pads. The entire MARPAT uniform is also made in a better form of construction thus allowing it to withstand higher levels of beating. In addition, the MARPAT uniform features a anti-infared coating that reduces there visibility to night vision goggles, this can be a major advantaje during night ops. The Marine Corps also uses a new type of combat boot; they are made of flesh-out brown leather as opposed to the black "spit-shine" combat boots. The newer brown boots feature an embosses EDA of the outer heel, thus identifying them as USMC issue combat boots.

Desert MARPAT:
Accepted for use in 2004 by all forces of the USMC, the desert MARPAT uniform is perfectly similar to woodland MARPAT in every respect, with exception of color. Th desert MARPAT uniform consists of 4-5 shades of brown and tan.

Urban MARPAT:
The urban MARPAT uniform was set to entered into service for the USMC in 2004, however was never accepted. It is said to be a better alternative for urban combat than the urban BDU however.

ACU:
The ACU (Army Combat Uniform) is, like MARPAT, a digital pattern camouflage combat uniform. It is on occasion refered to as UCP (Universal Camouflage Pattern). The uniform blands the colors, green, tan and grey together thus theoretically enabling it to work efficiently in a woodland, desert and urban envirement. It also consists of numerous design improvements based on the imput of US Army soldiers. The replacement of the Army's current woodland BDU pattern with the ACU was set to start in April of 2005; however the process began approximately two months earlier than scheduled through RFI (Rapid Fielding Initiative) and was scheduled to be completed by December 2007. The ACU and its component materials will be manufactured by the existing industrial infrastructure in the U.S., which produces the current battle dress uniform.

There is a large number of improvemetns over the BDU applied to the ACU. First of all, the hook and loop systems (velcro); all patches, rank insignia and name tapes on the ACU are equiped with a hook and loop system providing for easy application and replacement of patches. At first the addition was praised by Army soldiers, however after longer periods of ttime in the field, these hook and loop systems only proved to fail constantly, and need replacement after medium periods of time in the field. On the subject of patches, there is now a small place to put a rank insignia on the breast bone area of the ACU jacket. The ACU also includes the new IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) system; this is a very small patch on each shoulder pocket which is highly visible to infared light thus allowing for soldiers with night vision goggles to identify eachother. The ACU also sports a fancy front zipper closure instead of buttons; this allows for quick removal and wearing of the ACU jacket. The pockets of the ACU are tilted, just as on the MARPAT uniform for easy access when a veast is worn. The cuffs of the sleeves also use the hook and loop system to make for easy adjustment and removal. A neat addition to the left shoulder pocket is a 3-pen holder. Like the MARPAT, the ACU also has small pouches for insertion and replacement of knee and elbow pads. The thigh pockets on the ACU trousers are also tilted forward for maximum accesability. And finally, the ACU also now requires the wearing of tan suede combat boots, either hot weather or temperate weather versions.

As said above, the ACU is meant to be used in desert, urban and woodland envirements. However according to the word of many US Army soldiers, the use of the ACU in a woodland area during combat would be suicide. Because of its light colors, the ACU would never blend in correctly into a woodland envirement. After trying out this theory myself with issue ACU's, I found the same result; using the ACU in a woodland area is the equivalent of wearing full black clothing in a field of knee high bright brown hay, it just doesn't work.

Woodland BDU:
The woodland BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) pattern is not a digital pattern and is overall the most commonly used camouflage pattern in the United States, and possibly most of the world. It is somewhat similar to the DPM which will be discussed later on in this article; however the colors (black, brown, tan and green) appear more as blotches than 'brush strokes'. This is the camouflage pattern used since 1981 though present by the U.S Armed Forces. The woodland BDU is currently being fazed out of use by the military however is still occasionally seen worn by soldiers. This camouflage pattern, as the name implies, was meant for use in woodland terrain only; which is one reason it has been phased out. Though being phased out by most military branches, the U.S. Air Force is still issuing the woodland BDU and selling the uniforms at BX's; however the air force does plan to move onto a different camouflage pattern known as the ABU (Airman Battle Uniform) which will be discussed later. Most would argue that the camouflaging ability of the woodland BDU is outstanding, and through my experience I have found it to be.

The woodland BDU uniform consists of trousers and a 'blouse'. The trousers have two cargo pockets located on each outer thigh, which can be opened and close using two OD buttons on each pocket; these thigh pockets are horizontally aligned to provide best accessibility for the wearer. Also on the trousers, there are two standard pockets on the front just below the belt line similar to what would be found on blue jeans; these pockets do not have any closure system. The last of the pockets on the trousers are the two 'butt pockets' which can be closed using two OD buttons, and are located in an area as the name implies. The trousers consist also of 7 belt loops, two straps to tighten the waist, five buttons in the fly and one flap that can be buttoned up to be across the cross area on the inside. As for the blouse, there are four simple pockets, the two upper pockets (breast pockets) and the two lower pockets, all of which can also be buttoned shut with two OD buttons. These four pockets are horizontally aligned. The blouse has five buttons in the front 'button line', the top of which is rarely buttoned. Also, the cuff consists of two-three buttons and a small flap used to adjust the size of the cuff. Last but not least, there are double layers of cloth on the elbows and knees of this uniform.

One small note I must include: You may notice small lighter colored lines in a grid pattern all over your woodland BDU, this grid is known as rip-stop, which as the name implies, stops small rips in your uniform from becoming larger. This rip-stop is made of a stronger material than the regular cloth used for the rest of the uniform.

DBDU:
The DBDU (Desert Battle Dress Uniform) was the basic desert patterned uniform used by the U.S. Armed Forces during the Persian Gulf War era of the 1990's. This camouflage pattern is also known as: chocolate chip camouflage, cookie dough camouflage, choc-chip or 6 color desert camouflage. This uniform got its many nick names from the fact that the camouflage pattern resembles chocolate chip cookie dough. This camouflage pattern consists of light tan, tan, brown, dark brown, black and white. The DBDU is constructed just as the Woodland BDU, the pockets are in the same positions, and generally the uniform is made out of the same material.

Though the DBDU became more known to the public during the Persian Gulf War, it began development in the 1960's. The U.S. military decided to begin the development of a desert type camouflage for the possible need that they may have to 'participate' in the Arab-Israeli conflicts, the DBDU was mainly being developed in the southwestern deserts of the U.S. When hostilities in the Middle East diminished the DBDU was put away for possible later use and was forgotten. It was not until the Persian Gulf War that the DBDU actually began to see full service. After the Persian Gulf War, FORSCOM soldiers in the Sinai Desert began to find that the black and white rock pattern on the camouflage increased the amount of contrast and thus reduced its effectiveness; not too long thereafter the DCU was developed (3 color desert camouflage).

DCU:
The DCU (3 color desert camouflage or coffee stain camo) is more similar to the Woodland BDU than that of the DBDU, however instead of greens, blacks and browns, it hosts a tan, brown and greenish olive color. The DCU is now actually no longer in use and has been replaced by the ACU by the Army, and the Desert MARPAT uniform by the Marine Corps.

DPM:

Urban BDU:

Concrete Jungle BDU:

Tiger Stripe:

Digital Tiger Stripe:

ABU:

CADPAT-tw:

CADPAT-ar:

DP Smock:

Flecktarn:

Tropical Flecktarn:

Irish DPM:

Japanese JGSDF:

Desert DPM:

Desert Tiger Stripe:

OD:

Black:

White:

Tan:

Ghillie:

(NOTE: This image is still being developed, and will be altered and updated at the same time as the written part of this article.)

This article will be continuosly updated with new information of different camouflage patterns.

Cheers, Graham.

that is one thing I made sure about was my camo choice. I use ACU's in a woodland area which may sound horriable but the color pattern blends in very well to the trees. the price was around $60 but that is cheap for ACU's trust me.

+Quote Post
Zed8
post Oct 16 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #13

College Chairsofter Extraordinaire.

Member No.: 35,421

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 6 (100%)
Add Feedback for Zed8

QUOTE (Ranger9 @ Oct 16 2008, 07:42 PM) *
that is one thing I made sure about was my camo choice. I use ACU's in a woodland area which may sound horriable but the color pattern blends in very well to the trees. the price was around $60 but that is cheap for ACU's trust me.

Please don't quote everything...

Informative post. Needs to be updated/added to, obviously.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StarvinMarvin
post Oct 19 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #14

Welcome to the Jungle

Member No.: 40,563

Add Feedback for StarvinMarvin

The camo to the right of Flecktarn is called Tropentarn. I've never heard of it being called "Tropical Flecktarn" but I can see where it came from.

+Quote Post
RangersLeadTheWa...
post Dec 4 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #15

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 44,983

Add Feedback for RangersLeadTheWay

Hello yall I would use MC but my dad faught in the 90's so I don't realy want to dissipoint him by going all newish patterns so I am planning on getting the classic Woodland and Choco Chip pattern. Does anyone have any pictures of Choco Chip being used in College Station, Texas in the fall?

--------------------
Rangers Lead The Freaking Way And Destroy Anything In their Path!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
lucas...
post Dec 8 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #16

ASF Immigrant

Group: Banned User
Member No.: 45,015

Add Feedback for lucas...

get the digital anyway.

you can't dunk your airsoft gun and fire it too. Or can you? yes you can! The real answer is no, you cannot. Sorry!!

--------------------
If you have any questions about airsoft, and are too embarrassed to ask them on the forum or chat room, just PM ME.

+Quote Post
frodobaggins
post Dec 14 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #17

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 45,134

Add Feedback for frodobaggins

a-thumbsup.gif A great place for camo is Neuse River Sports Shop in North Carolina. I got a nice uniform there.

--------------------
Someone's boring me. I think it's me.
Dylan Thomas
Good-bye. I am leaving because I am bored.
George Saunders, last words

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
John F. Kennedy
The future ain't what it used to be.
Yogi Berra
Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them.
Dr. Martin Henry Fischer

+Quote Post
bigmo
post Jan 2 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #18

ASF Citizen

Group: user_has_broken_email
Member No.: 45,376

Add Feedback for bigmo

QUOTE (wolfeye @ Sep 16 2008, 08:09 AM) *
I'd be great if you would feature the current favourite camo amongst the SOCOM community- MC or Multicam from Crye Precision.

I play airsoft in a tropical environment. When I lie prone, my teamates claim that if it weren't for my black balaclava and goggles, I would've blended entirely into the background. So I feel this camo is worth mentioning at least.

I think this stuff should be officially named Multi G A Y. everytime I see it in the UK all the guys seem rather POOFish....

This post has been edited by bigmo: Jan 2 2009, 11:56 AM

+Quote Post
StarvinMarvin
post Jan 2 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #19

Welcome to the Jungle

Member No.: 40,563

Add Feedback for StarvinMarvin

I think this stuff should be officially named Multi G A Y. everytime I see it in the UK all the guys seem rather POOFish....

Well that's just your opinion. I don't like it either, but there are other places to talk about that. You sure those guys just aren't fat? : p

+Quote Post
eege
post Jan 2 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #20

male genetalia

Member No.: 35,975

Add Feedback for eege

I figured this would be to ask: is there any point to red tigerstripe? and: can I get any red tigerstripe BDUs?

--------------------
QUOTE (X Di Sniper xX @ Feb 13 2010, 09:29 AM) *
Eege is that wierd kid in the back of your classroom who always gets 100 on tests..

[aimfor1337] 11:36 pm: nick you're correct, there ARE lots of "off" people in here, one of them being eege... he's so off you couldnt clamp him to a metal operating table

+Quote Post
TT-Frycooks Mach...
post Jan 2 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #21

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 40,960

Add Feedback for TT-Frycooks MachineGunner

QUOTE (eege @ Jan 2 2009, 02:48 PM) *
I figured this would be to ask: is there any point to red tigerstripe? and: can I get any red tigerstripe BDUs?

Im curious about this too, and I don't think its to blend in with the blood of your enemies, all you have to do is roll around a bit and you'd be good.

--------------------
Billy Mays, Goodnight Sweet Prince

July 20, 1958 – June 28, 2009

+Quote Post
Beachhead
post Jan 22 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #22

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 36,218

Add Feedback for Beachhead

QUOTE (TT-Frycooks MachineGunner @ Jan 2 2009, 09:24 PM) *
Im curious about this too, and I don't think its to blend in with the blood of your enemies, all you have to do is roll around a bit and you'd be good.

Red tigerstripe and Purple tigerstripe are a civi's camo. they serve no military purpose. they were made for civilians for commercial Purposes.

This post has been edited by Beachhead: Jan 22 2009, 06:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
EliteForce777
post Feb 22 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #23

H&K Lover

Member No.: 29,385

Add Feedback for EliteForce777

I played with a couple guys this weekend, both were wearing ACU, and I must admit that even in a woodland environment during winter they still stand out like nothing else. I don't see why some people say it's effective in the woods. I don;t think anyone in this thread has said that, but I've heard it form several members of the airsoft community.

--------------------

^Thanks to Guy with a Gun

+Quote Post
kalash103
post Feb 25 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #24

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 41,403

Add Feedback for kalash103

this is usefull

This post has been edited by kalash103: Feb 25 2009, 11:57 PM

--------------------
TEAM O.D.A
ALL THE WAY

+Quote Post
eege
post Mar 5 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #25

male genetalia

Add Feedback for eege

QUOTE (kalash103 @ Feb 25 2009, 10:55 PM) *
this is usefull

exactly WHAT, is useful?

--------------------
Eege is that wierd kid in the back of your classroom who always gets 100 on tests..

[aimfor1337] 11:36 pm: nick you're correct, there ARE lots of "off" people in here, one of them being eege... he's so off you couldnt clamp him to a metal operating table

+Quote Post
DarkDestroyer95
post Mar 10 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #26

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 47,021

Add Feedback for DarkDestroyer95

MARAT is best I think

I personally don't like the U.S. Army's new uniform. I just don't think it works as well as MARPAT, because the Army uses only on color patter and MARPAT still has desert and woodland in didgital.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
Airsoft Armory Blog

Echo1 G36C

G&G M4

Smith & Wesson M410

+Quote Post
eege
post Mar 11 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #27

male genetalia

Add Feedback for eege

so, how long till the best camo is invisible?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ireshman
post Jun 26 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #28

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 49,002

Add Feedback for Ireshman

CADPAT is one of the best patterns out there. The bright green and blackish colors work amazing during this time of year.

+Quote Post
DarkDestroyer95
post Jul 27 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #29

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 47,021

Add Feedback for DarkDestroyer95

QUOTE (eege @ Mar 11 2009, 11:36 PM) *
so, how long till the best camo is invisible?

they are actually working on it and are pretty close, they have made an invisibility cloche in Japan, and the British have found a way to make a tank invisible but are still working on it a-salute.gif

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
Airsoft Armory Blog

Echo1 G36C

G&G M4

Smith & Wesson M410

+Quote Post
Darbybass3
post Sep 7 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #30

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 50,948

Add Feedback for Darbybass3

QUOTE (DarkDestroyer95 @ Jul 27 2009, 03:24 PM) *
they are actually working on it and are pretty close, they have made an invisibility cloche in Japan, and the British have found a way to make a tank invisible but are still working on it a-salute.gif

I saw an article about this a few years back when it was first being tested. The clothing takes pictures of what's behind it and projects the image on the front. I almost pooped when I saw it. But this thread is awesome. I'm still trying to figure out which camo I need to buy and this deff helped a lot. Thanks for this great article.

--------------------
KWA G36C with NC Star Red/Green Reflex Sight, SRC KV Stock and SRC Silencer

Playing out of Cloumbus, OH. PM me if you know good places to play.

+Quote Post
Rhodesia
post Nov 21 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #31

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 49,647

Add Feedback for Rhodesia

British DPM Woodland (Pay attention to the various patterns IE: Soldier 95, Soldier 2000 Pattern.. etc..) Also please add Rhodesian DPM

--------------------

+Quote Post
PrimoFlip
post Dec 5 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #32

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 53,361

Add Feedback for PrimoFlip

Images expired, but still a great help to me.

+Quote Post
TheAirsoftLoki
post Dec 15 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #33

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 47,682

Add Feedback for TheAirsoftLoki

Right click and open them in a new tab.

+Quote Post
Langan76
post Mar 14 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #34

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 54,713

Add Feedback for Langan76

on multicam.com they have pictures comparing to wodland. I don't have MC yet but its next on my list. it works very well

+Quote Post
Rogue Wolf
post Mar 14 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #35

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 47,902

Add Feedback for Rogue Wolf

No they don't, it's a site about a CNC company.

--------------------
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.
-Kenny Powers

+Quote Post
wangotango
post Jun 9 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #36

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 57,597

Add Feedback for wangotango

QUOTE (Langan76 @ Mar 14 2010, 11:14 AM) *
on multicam.com they have pictures comparing to wodland. I don't have MC yet but its next on my list. it works very well

It will catch on more as we see US troops start using it in August.

+Quote Post
Dirk
post Jul 10 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #37

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 54,095

Add Feedback for Dirk

QUOTE (wangotango @ Jun 9 2010, 11:41 PM) *
It will catch on more as we see US troops start using it in August.

Some rangers are already using it.

--------------------
members of asc: making the mods drunkards one post at a time.

An Ode to Illoginub-possibly the greatest thread ever.

+Quote Post
dipsky
post Jul 28 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #38

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 58,148

Add Feedback for dipsky

multicam is so rock today lol
but I like the aor

+Quote Post
TheVirus
post Aug 4 2010, 01:44 AM
Post #39

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 58,610

Add Feedback for TheVirus

Multicam ACU coat prices increased in the past few weeks. I looked on Amazon.com and the prices for a Multicam ACU coat went up from $39.99 to $42.99. I believe it has something to do with supply and demand...

I knew I should have purchased the whole set last week but was running low on cash. Sucks!!!! a-confused.gif

Read this link:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/06/army_multicam_061410w/

+Quote Post
whytheneon
post Sep 23 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #40

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 60,362

Add Feedback for whytheneon

what about the new US Navy NWU? so called "aquaflage"? might not be tactical, but should be mentioned.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/31/USN_NWU1.jpg

This post has been edited by whytheneon: Sep 23 2010, 11:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

to add your banner to our network, click here
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Armory Tech Airsoft FoxAirsoft.com AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com ACMGear.com
AsiaAirsoft.com YZH.hkm TrinityAirsoft.com AirsoftRC.com eHobby Asia Vote for us
to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you enjoy using this website, please please support us financially with a small donation or upgrade your account. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend about us and share us on your favorite social networking website.

content copyright AirsoftForum.com 2003-2013 an Airsoft Forum, Airsoft Chat Room, Airsoft Auctions, Airsoft Reviews, and Airsoft Classified Ads Community
Get your discount from Armory Tech Airsoft
Get airsoft guns and more with award winning customer service at Trinity Airsoft
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
Professional Airsoft Solutions
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3