Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cylinder Volume vs Barrel Volume Vs BB Weight, Need specific calculations
Marcus.C
post Jun 23 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #1

ASF Immigrant

Group: Member
Member No.: 56,436

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 0 (0%)
Add Feedback for Marcus.C

Guys,

I've done some reading on the above but cant really find actual calculation used to determine the ratio. Can someone please share how it's done?

The numbers that I have got are from 1.3 to 1.7 cylinder volume to barrel volume, but with different weight BBs used, Im sure there is a formula out there to get optimum performance.

My plan is to get Type 0 cylinder and drill hole to correctly match the barrel length and BB weight that I will be using.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

This post has been edited by Marcus.C: Jun 23 2010, 12:23 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
buppus
post Jun 24 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #2

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 18,483

Add Feedback for buppus

Unfortunately, there is no magic formula, as there are so many other factors at play. Even if you assume perfect compression (and that's a BIG assumption), the weight of the BBs plus the FPS that your spring is putting out has an enormous effect on BB flight via the relationship between inner barrel length, tightness of bore, and smoothness/consistency of bore. The question is not simply, "how much air do I push through the system," but instead, "how much (cylinder/barrel volume) AND with how much force (spring) for the specific weight of ammo (BB)?"

As far as I know, there has been no comprehensive testing to find this out, and for good reason. There is a long list of variables: cylinder volume, barrel length, barrel bore, barrel quality, spring strength, BB weight, BB quality/consistency. To try and objectively assess their effects on each other without other extant variables such as compression and mechanical efficiency, would be quite difficult simply because of the simple human error element. It would be extremely difficult to find the ideal relationships between these elements even at a set FPS, but then further complicating the issue is of course user preferences with regard to FPS (some like it hot, while others by law have to keep wiithin certain limits). Change the FPS, and everything else changes too.

For instance, even with ideal volume balancing, it has been found that longer, tighter barrels can actually decrease overall efficacy depending on BB weight and spring strength. If you have a weak spring pushing a heavy BB through a long barrel, it will move more slowly than a heavier spring/lighter ammo. This results in increased skipping and bouncing of the BB down the barrel and decreased efficacy.

But then if you were to change one of those factors by swapping out for a heavier spring and/or lighter BBs, that problem could be avoided and you could end up with a wonderfully efficient and accurate system.

I think for your concerns, the best way to go about finding the ideal ratio is to determine what your goals for the project are, and then work toward that. The 1.3 ratio sounds a little too low to me, as it allows no room for error with compression/efficiency. If you're too strict with your ratio, you'll end up having to use lighter ammo. 1.7 should really be the MINIMUM ratio. I would check the ratio on your current setup, and even if it's a little high, just experiement with heavier ammo and see if you can get a fair result that way. Most guns come stock with a perfectly acceptable volume ratio.

What you have to remember is that the single most important factor on the efficacy of your gun is the hopup unit. If you haven't already done all you can to tune, upgrade, and increase the stability and performance of your hop unit, volume balancing won't make any difference at all for you (unless you're using a bore-up kit on an MP5-K or a type 3 cylinder on your sniper rifle).

This post has been edited by buppus: Jun 24 2010, 10:11 AM

--------------------
Everything You Need to Know about MOSFETS - DIY Guide

QUOTE (Zemanova @ Nov 10 2011, 11:18 PM) *
if you can fart, you can solder

+Quote Post
Marcus.C
post Jun 24 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #3

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 56,436

Add Feedback for Marcus.C

hi buppus,

Thanks for the insight......I should say that Im new to airsoft and more so working with AEGs. My objective is to get the best efficiency out of my equipment and understand the 'science' behind it.

I do understand the many variables and their 'effect' on the overall setup.

Thanks again.

Regards

+Quote Post
namloot
post Jun 24 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #4

ASF Citizen

Group: Elite
Member No.: 29,837

Add Feedback for namloot

As "buppus" said, there are too many variables. Often an unexpected result occurs.
http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Type-0-T...er-t138995.html

--------------------
Bob
My Marui M14, Custom Marui AK47 and Custom Marui G36KV

+Quote Post

to add your banner to our network, click here
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Armory Tech Airsoft FoxAirsoft.com AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com ACMGear.com
AsiaAirsoft.com YZH.hkm TrinityAirsoft.com AirsoftRC.com eHobby Asia Vote for us
to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you enjoy using this website, please please support us financially with a small donation or upgrade your account. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend about us and share us on your favorite social networking website.

content copyright AirsoftForum.com 2003-2013 an Airsoft Forum, Airsoft Chat Room, Airsoft Auctions, Airsoft Reviews, and Airsoft Classified Ads Community
Get your discount from Armory Tech Airsoft
Get airsoft guns and more with award winning customer service at Trinity Airsoft
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
Professional Airsoft Solutions
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3