Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GBBR guys vs. AEG guys, Difference in opinion about FPS
No_6
post Jun 9 2012, 04:29 AM
Post #1

ASF Citizen

Group: Member
Member No.: 66,405

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 0 (0%)
Add Feedback for No_6

Okay, one of the things I've noticed here is that all the experienced people are in agreement that high FPS for the sake of high FPS is worthless. However, at a certain gas gun site that I go to, I've seen a discussion thread about someone trying to achieve 550 FPS from a WE M14, no real reason given, he just wanted to get 550 FPS with .25's. An interesting read. I was quite impressed by the technical knowledge the guy seemed to have and all the steps he went through to get his results. Not a single person questioned the need to get 550 FPS, which I also thought was fine. Maybe it was going to be a sniper rig or something.

I thought, "Well, maybe since the impulse in a gas gun is given for as long as the BB is in the barrel rather than in a single initial burst it will leave the barrel with a more stable flight path." But then he got into discussing using the gun in a game and he described how at 150 feet, the BB would hook like a MOFO every single time--which would seem to confirm the FPS article here. He also said how he was still able to pick a couple of guys off using "Kentucky windage," which is fine, but then any optics you have would be worthless past 150 feet. Not great.

So is this a common difference between gas gun and AEG guys? Or is it just that one board? Or that one guy? He certainly didn't sound like a Newbie, he was doing some very complicated (and expensive) surgery on that gun.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lefse
post Jun 9 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #2

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 61,524

Add Feedback for Lefse

Just because you know how to upgrade a gun, doesn't mean you know how to use a gun.

+Quote Post
airborne101
post Jun 9 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #3

If you have a problem, and no one else can help...

Group: Forum Administrator
Member No.: 39,247

My Temperament:Melancholy
Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 26 (100%)
Add Feedback for airborne101

The debate isn't so much that high fps is dangerous, but that all the newbies that don't know how to safely use such a high fps gun come here saying that they "need 500+fps". Most of the time, they are coming here, asking us to spoon feed them the info to do it. In the end, its more of a maturity/understanding limits thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
renegadecow
post Jun 9 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #4

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 63,716

Add Feedback for renegadecow

I assume he was using just the .25's he built if for? You can get an AEG to the same power levels, but use the same weight bbs and you'll just end up with the same problem.

--------------------
You wanna die with a man's gun. Not a little sissy gun like that.

+Quote Post
fcma172
post Jun 10 2012, 12:58 AM
Post #5

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 60,566

My Temperament:4,6,8,6
Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 151 (99.3%)
Add Feedback for fcma172

Speaking from personal experience sniping about 7 years go, having that high of a FPS with only .25's sucks. You can get consistency to around 200 feet and after that you just have to see where the shots hook and adjust for it.

I used to have a completely upgraded TM VSR-10 Pro Sniper that shot 580 FPS with 0.2's. That's around 520 FPS with .25's, so we're in the same velocity neighborhood. When using BB's that light, even if they were VERY high quality just a little bit of inconsistency with the BB's in any way ruined your shots. You could get some good groupings, but nothing to write home about. You have to remember that the air resistance that the BB's feel at those speeds is much greater than once the BB's slow down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
No_6
post Jun 10 2012, 01:44 AM
Post #6

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 66,405

Add Feedback for No_6

QUOTE (fcma172 @ Jun 9 2012, 10:58 PM) *
Speaking from personal experience sniping about 7 years go, having that high of a FPS with only .25's sucks. You can get consistency to around 200 feet and after that you just have to see where the shots hook and adjust for it.

I used to have a completely upgraded TM VSR-10 Pro Sniper that shot 580 FPS with 0.2's. That's around 520 FPS with .25's, so we're in the same velocity neighborhood. When using BB's that light, even if they were VERY high quality just a little bit of inconsistency with the BB's in any way ruined your shots. You could get some good groupings, but nothing to write home about. You have to remember that the air resistance that the BB's feel at those speeds is much greater than once the BB's slow down.

Yeah, I saw some charts for .177 air rifle pellets, and even up to ~.45g. In the test they showed how much extra range you got with additional initial FPS. I don't remember specifics, but I do remember a) how quickly they lost speed, and b) how increased FPS ran into rapidly diminishing returns in increased range. So yeah, a .25 round bb... no contest.

This post has been edited by No_6: Jun 10 2012, 01:49 AM

+Quote Post
Anachro12
post Jun 10 2012, 07:59 AM
Post #7

ASF Citizen

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 58,287

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 11 (100%)
Add Feedback for Anachro12

500 fps and over I am going to run a .43g bb. If someone is using .25g bbs it is foolish to bother doing the upgrade, if your bbs are hooking at a certain distance from using .25 (although I suspect that the hop up is not optimized, barrel is unstabilized, not clean, etc.)

With AEGs often people will just throw a heavy spring in without doing the necessary mods to get the most from that FPS. Makes a world of difference. An AEG with just a SP150 dropped in is not a DMR although there are many people that will try to do just that.

--------------------
-Made by Sith
QUOTE (Johnday @ Feb 18 2009, 02:08 AM) *
Im glad I went full auto on him, he's my friend and he's got a crush on my sister

+Quote Post

to add your banner to our network, click here
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 02:21 AM

Armory Tech Airsoft FoxAirsoft.com AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com ACMGear.com
AsiaAirsoft.com YZH.hkm TrinityAirsoft.com AirsoftRC.com eHobby Asia Vote for us
to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you enjoy using this website, please please support us financially with a small donation or upgrade your account. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend about us and share us on your favorite social networking website.

content copyright AirsoftForum.com 2003-2013 an Airsoft Forum, Airsoft Chat Room, Airsoft Auctions, Airsoft Reviews, and Airsoft Classified Ads Community
Get your discount from Armory Tech Airsoft
Get airsoft guns and more with award winning customer service at Trinity Airsoft
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
Professional Airsoft Solutions
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3