Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gases for Airsoft GBB's, THE FACTS!
The Vainguard
post Mar 5 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #1

"Budget = Cheap = Crap = Breaks = Waste = $$$

Group: Member
Member No.: 49,345

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 22 (100%)
Add Feedback for The Vainguard

DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT WRITE THIS COMPARISON. IT WAS TAKEN FROM AAPS-FEDERATION.ORG AND WRITTEN BY MEMBER: Chris Cord. ALL CREDIT GOES TO THIS INDIVIDUAL.

More useful info:
________________________________________________________________________________

"I've had lots of questions from people regarding gases to use in their airsoft GBB guns. There is a lot of misinformation on the Web related to this issue, so I thought it was time to present some hard science facts about airsoft gases.

The four gases most used for airsoft GBB guns are Green Gas, HFC-134a, Red Gas, and CO2. Green Gas is also known as Top Gas and is, in reality, nothing more than propane (with some perfume and silicone oil added). The main use for HFC-134a and Red Gas is in the refrigeration industry. Propane is also used as a refrigerant, but is primarily used as a fuel. In the refrigeration industry, propane is known as R-290 and Red Gas is known as HCFC-22.

The properties that make these gases good refrigerants is also what makes them good propellants for airsoft guns. At room temperature and atmospheric pressure they are all gases, but they can be liquified by putting them under pressure. When a gun's magazine is filled with one of these gases, what actually enters the magazine is a combination of liquid and gas (that's why you invert the can to fill the magazine). As long as there is still some liquid in the magazine, the pressure of gas above the liquid remains constant for a given temperature (this is called vapor pressure). As long as the temperature doesn't change and as long as there is some liquid in the magazine, the pressure of the gas propelling your BBs remains constant. Here are the vapor pressure vs. temperature data for all four gases.

It is easy to see from the data why guns with plastic slides need to use HFC-134a (stock TM Hi-Capa 5.1, Western Arms, etc.). The pressure of propane (Green or Top Gas) or Red Gas is simply too high for them to handle unless the magazine valve has been modified to limit the flow of gas. It's also easy to see why CO2 requires a special magazine and valve system. It's vapor pressure at room temperature is more than seven times larger than propane. Using CO2 in a magazine designed for Green Gas (propane) would blow the gun apart when it was fired.

If you are using an unmodified GBB pistol with a plastic slide, you should stick to using only HFC-134a. If you have a modified gun that includes a metal slide, enhanced recoil spring, and metal guide, then you can use Green Gas. From here on, we will stop using the term Green Gas and simply say propane. The long-term advantage of being able to use propane is cost. Propane is available through most discount stores and sporting goods stores for less that $3.00 for a 16 ounce can when sold as fuel for camp stoves (Coleman, Bernzomatic, etc.). Compare that to $15 for an 8 ounce can of Green Gas. Of course, you'll need an adapter to fill your magazines. The adapter can be purchased from Airsoft Innovations (http://www.airsoft-innovations.com/) for $25 and is shown below.

If you buy an adapter, be sure to buy some light-weight silicone oil (also from Airsoft Innovations). The oil is added to the propane to lubricate your gun and seals and also to reduce the flammability of the propane.

The adapter comes with instructions for adding the oil and filling your magazines. Another advantage to propane over commercial Green Gas is that the steel cylinders that propane fuel comes in are much safer to transport than the thin-walled cylinders that Green Gas is shipped in. The downside to using propane is that it doesn't contain the perfume that is usually added to Green Gas. Instead of smelling like petunias, your shooting area will smell a little like rotten eggs. (If your spouse complains, just remind him/her of the money you are saving using propane!)

A word about filling your magazines. If you've followed the discussion above, you'll realize that the pressure of gas in your magazine doesn't depend on the length of time you fill the magazine. As long as you get some liquid in the magazine, the pressure of the gas is independent of the amount of liquid present. The colder the magazine is when you fill it, the more liquid you will transfer to the magazine and the more shots you will get. However, if you get too much liquid in the magazine, then some of it will rush out when you fire the first few shots and spray you and your gun with liquid propellant. This wastes propellant and can damage parts of your gun (like the nozzle and piston seal) that weren't built to handle the pressure increase that results when the liquid vaporizes inside them. With a little practice, you'll find the right ""charging time"" for your magazines.

Admin"

This post has been edited by The Vainguard: Mar 5 2010, 09:42 PM

--------------------
Official 2011 Picture Thread
-Kagami-Vainguard-MARSOCdoc-<3Bromance<3-
QUOTE (MARSOCdoc @ Jan 14 2010, 05:15 PM)
please don't spread rumors that im poor and eat cat food. I eat it cuz its delicious, not cuz its cheap.

QUOTE (Night Striker @ Feb 17 2010, 09:02 PM)
u describe a p90 the same way a fat man describes a chocolate cake
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sgt. Lai
post Mar 5 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #2

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 26,080

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 0 (0%)
Add Feedback for Sgt. Lai

Very interesting and helpful guide, however I have a question.

You say that plastic slide guns can't handle propane, however there are people who tell me that the TM Meu can handle propane just fine on the plastic slide. Is this true? How long until the slide completely snaps on me?

--------------------
Guess which one is me. Ten bucks if you can.

To whom does this spleen on the ground belong?

+Quote Post
The Vainguard
post Mar 5 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Sgt. Lai @ Mar 5 2010, 06:18 PM) *
Very interesting and helpful guide, however I have a question.

You say that plastic slide guns can't handle propane, however there are people who tell me that the TM Meu can handle propane just fine on the plastic slide. Is this true? How long until the slide completely snaps on me?

This guide wasnt written by me.

The TM MEU CAN handle Propane and Green Gas on a plastic slide for a certain amount of time. I've never seen a slide completely snap, more or less the slide catch area gets worn down, cracks tend to arise, and the worst of all is that the front and/or rear sight will break off from the slide flying off. If you plan to upgrade your MEU to metal sometime, I would say you're completely fine using green gas or propane. But there is also a factor of how often you use your MEU.

--------------------
please don't spread rumors that im poor and eat cat food. I eat it cuz its delicious, not cuz its cheap.

+Quote Post
RunnerGunner
post Mar 5 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #4

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 52,205

Add Feedback for RunnerGunner

typo in the title

*Gasses

+Quote Post
The Vainguard
post Mar 5 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (RunnerGunner @ Mar 5 2010, 06:27 PM) *
typo in the title

*Gasses

Actually, it's correct either way.

Main Entry: 1gas
Pronunciation: \ˈgas\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural gas·es also gas·ses

--------------------

+Quote Post
Diamond
post Mar 5 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #6

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 49,482

Add Feedback for Diamond

You can't really over fill a magazine. Once the pressure in the magazine and the propane tank are the same its done, nothing is going to keep going into the magazine.

the pressure of the gas is independent of the amount of liquid present

It is based off the temperature. This is why when you use a gun in full auto and the magazine gets cold, that is because the pressure is dropping so fast causing the temperature to go down as well. This will in turn cause the output pressure to be less , giving it the 'cooldown' effect.

Also because using R-22 is, well illegal, a lot of people have been seeking out 410A. Which is fine to vent off and use, but beware that the pressures across the baord are almost double that of propane.

+Quote Post
Hush02
post Mar 5 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #7

Sneaky Monkey

Group: Elite
Member No.: 26,033

Add Feedback for Hush02

nice article, whether you wrote it or found it.

But yea, for clarification, before more people ask.

The question of whether or not a gun can "handle" propane is up to the user and how he defines "handle". "handle" could mean that it doesn't break within a few mags to one person while "handle" defined by another means that you can run it for years on propane with no adverse effects whatsoever.

134a is the recommended gas to use in plastic slide pistols. Most plastic slide pistols can run propane through them for some time. However, as mentioned, parts wear out faster.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Got a stupid question regarding airsoft? PM me and I'll try my best...

+Quote Post
Sgt. Lai
post Mar 5 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #8

ASF Citizen

Alright, so I play every other weekend and I'll probably get a metal slide by the next year. That's feasible right? Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Vainguard
post Mar 5 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #9

How often do you use it? If you use it as a Primary, not sure, if just a sidearm it shouldn't be a problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sgt. Lai
post Mar 6 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #10

ASF Citizen

QUOTE (The Vainguard @ Mar 6 2010, 12:53 AM) *
How often do you use it? If you use it as a Primary, not sure, if just a sidearm it shouldn't be a problem.

As a sidearm, although I plan on using it a lot. I guess I should try to get the metal slide sooner then huh. Which slide should I get to make sure that it's still as accurate as it is stock?

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Vainguard
post Mar 6 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #11

For 1911's they only make full metal kits, on a budget, I would recommend the PGC/ProWin kit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riflewizard
post Mar 6 2010, 02:27 AM
Post #12

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 21,866

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 7 (100%)
Add Feedback for Riflewizard

You don't need a metal slide for a TM 1911. The plastic stock one will hold up fine. my TM 1911a1 is over 2 years old and has seen a lot of use exclusively on propane, with no issues at all. It's a very reliable pistol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sgt. Lai
post Mar 6 2010, 02:37 AM
Post #13

ASF Citizen

QUOTE (Riflewizard @ Mar 6 2010, 03:27 AM) *
You don't need a metal slide for a TM 1911. The plastic stock one will hold up fine. my TM 1911a1 is over 2 years old and has seen a lot of use exclusively on propane, with no issues at all. It's a very reliable pistol.

Are you sure? How much do you use it/how many magazines do you think you've emptied with it? How well do you take care of it?

I want a TM, but there's a SOCOM GEAR that's for less and made of metal, but it's not as accurate. Since 134a is so difficult to find, I'm going to use only propane, and I don't want my TM to break.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riflewizard
post Mar 6 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #14

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 21,866

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 7 (100%)
Add Feedback for Riflewizard

If it breaks I'll buy you a new one.... put it that way. Unless your shooting red gas or something or routinely skirmish at 110 degrees. I've never heard of tm 1911's breaking. My friend owns a WE meu and it's not as good as my TM 1911.

This post has been edited by Riflewizard: Mar 6 2010, 04:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
soviet911
post Mar 6 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #15

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 47,727

Add Feedback for soviet911

QUOTE (Riflewizard @ Mar 6 2010, 05:04 PM) *
If it breaks I'll buy you a new one.... put it that way. Unless your shooting red gas or something or routinely skirmish at 110 degrees. I've never heard of tm 1911's breaking. My friend owns a WE meu and it's not as good as my TM 1911.

Gah WE stock internals are such crap! ( trust me I own one but now its mostly upgraded (thanks to vain) or has TM internals, now still need to tune it)

To person who asked get tm the plastic slide should hold up fine as long as you take care of it...and even if it breaks you can get a replacemnt metal body and slide for 100$ and have an awesome gun in the end or just a slide...don't bother with any of the clones unless its a WA ( they have their own system not clones) or you got time and skill to work on a clone to make it perform like a TM (need to find some one with a TM to compare my 1911 to it...) and then go with KJW as they are much closer clone copy then a WE, but then again WE 1911 uses WE Hicapa style internals so with a lil modification you can fit any TM compatible Hi-Capa slide onto it...and as far as I worked on mine it seems all internals are TM hi-capa compatible...

--------------------
I WANT TO BUY A TM HI-CAPA HOP UP UNIT!!!
Team T.H.C
Custom VSS Build Vintorez -390 FPS DMR
WE Colt 1911 Single stack w/ custom Deep Fire 6.02 tight bore, and bunch of upgrades, its more like an upgraded TM with a WE body kit.
If you got a WE1911 this might interest you!

+Quote Post
Ronin-V
post Mar 12 2010, 01:15 AM
Post #16

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 51,552

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 6 (100%)
Add Feedback for Ronin-V

Just to let you all know, I've used a TM Hi-capa 5.1 stock and shot through at least 2k rounds in it and the slide never snapped or cracked or whatever. However, the slide pit where the slide catch catches did wear out and it no longer locked back when empty.

+Quote Post
aznriptide859
post Mar 13 2010, 04:52 PM
Post #17

ASR's Commie Mod
Group Icon

Group: Authorized Seller Elite
Member No.: 30,137

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 20 (100%)
Add Feedback for aznriptide859

Agreed, the OMG-propane-will-blow-your-plastic-slide myth is a bit unreasonable. I've run multiple guns that have plastic slides and have never seen a failure - however most people get metal slides just for peace of mind/specific trademarks. I have, however, seen a G34's slide run off it's guide tracks.

--------------------

Interested in R-Hop's and other custom work? Visit HS5 Armory! https://sites.google.com/site/hsarmory/

Need an extremely reliable MOSFET for your AEG? Check out BTC Airsoft! http://www.btcairsoft.com/

+Quote Post
Aeddan1
post Jul 18 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #18

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 48,651

Add Feedback for Aeddan1

If you ask me CO2 is the way to go...

--------------------

+Quote Post
yayapfool
post Jul 24 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #19

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 39,528

Add Feedback for yayapfool

yeah I use propane in both my sniper rifle and pistol, it works fine, you just need to lube things yourself

--------------------

+Quote Post
Haloll
post Sep 5 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #20

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 58,292

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 1 (100%)
Add Feedback for Haloll

My question is how many shots can you expect out of 16 oz of propane? Im going to be getting my first GBB pistol soon (Finally decided on which one). I am wondering how many shots to expect since Im not sure how many 16oz propane tanks to buy.

+Quote Post
skidoo5
post May 8 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #21

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 66,615

Add Feedback for skidoo5

QUOTE (Haloll @ Sep 5 2010, 03:28 PM) *
My question is how many shots can you expect out of 16 oz of propane? Im going to be getting my first GBB pistol soon (Finally decided on which one). I am wondering how many shots to expect since Im not sure how many 16oz propane tanks to buy.

A long time. I hear a can of green gas will last a few thousand shots. So double that, like 6-8 thousand shots. which is plenty... I may be wrong though so no quotations. I am also new to GBB and ordered a KJW M1911 Tactical Hi-Capa and faced this same question. In the end I just got Green Gas since it is easier to use, and doesnt stink. I will only have 1 gas gun, and use the gun maybe every other weekend so I am not going to be blowing off 500 shots a day, so the money I could save with coleman propane+adapter will not be much over straight up green gas over time.

+Quote Post
Disco_Dante
post May 8 2011, 10:55 AM
Post #22

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 39,847

Add Feedback for Disco_Dante

QUOTE (Haloll @ Sep 5 2010, 04:28 PM) *

A few dozen mags worth at least. I always buy propane when it's on sale in packages of two or three, saves me even more money and I don't have to go back as often. Any good man store will occasionally put the cannisters on sale.

+Quote Post
skidoo5
post May 8 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #23

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 66,615

Add Feedback for skidoo5

So an entire can of green gas will only last like.... 500 shots?
I got a KJW 1911 and was expecting 1000 shots per can, is this to much to expect?

This post has been edited by skidoo5: May 8 2011, 11:49 AM

+Quote Post
Guges Mk3
post May 21 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #24

ASF Addict
Group Icon

Group: Authorized Seller Elite
Member No.: 27,171

My Temperament:Sanguine
Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 52 (100%)
Add Feedback for Guges Mk3

Except that he has the concept of Red Gas wrong.

Having actually sold Red Gas and Green Gas back in 2003. Green Gas is Not propane. GG was originally branded as HFC122A, this whole concept about GG being propane only started getting convoluted after AI started marketing a product for using propane.

HFC122a was a "Green" alternative to the old gas gun standard of Freon and a propellant gas.

HFC-122 is synonymous to ET-1000 - TOP Gas

Red Gas is ET-1600 and ET 2200

Even the bottle says ET-1600 not HFC122

And ET2200

A German company does it best with gas pressure.

This post has been edited by Guges Mk3: May 22 2011, 06:12 PM

--------------------
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

+Quote Post
Baller12
post May 31 2011, 08:48 PM
Post #25

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 67,462

Add Feedback for Baller12

Great guide! Thank you, I will now buy an adapter instead of wasting money on the green gas cans.

+Quote Post
daxma6270
post Sep 17 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #26

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 78,718

Add Feedback for daxma6270

QUOTE (The Vainguard @ Mar 5 2010, 09:56 PM) *
DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT WRITE THIS COMPARISON. IT WAS TAKEN FROM AAPS-FEDERATION.ORG AND WRITTEN BY MEMBER: Chris Cord. ALL CREDIT GOES TO THIS INDIVIDUAL.

More useful info:
________________________________________________________________________________

"I've had lots of questions from people regarding gases to use in their airsoft GBB guns. There is a lot of misinformation on the Web related to this issue, so I thought it was time to present some hard science facts about airsoft gases.

The four gases most used for airsoft GBB guns are Green Gas, HFC-134a, Red Gas, and CO2. Green Gas is also known as Top Gas and is, in reality, nothing more than propane (with some perfume and silicone oil added). The main use for HFC-134a and Red Gas is in the refrigeration industry. Propane is also used as a refrigerant, but is primarily used as a fuel. In the refrigeration industry, propane is known as R-290 and Red Gas is known as HCFC-22.

The properties that make these gases good refrigerants is also what makes them good propellants for airsoft guns. At room temperature and atmospheric pressure they are all gases, but they can be liquified by putting them under pressure. When a gun's magazine is filled with one of these gases, what actually enters the magazine is a combination of liquid and gas (that's why you invert the can to fill the magazine). As long as there is still some liquid in the magazine, the pressure of gas above the liquid remains constant for a given temperature (this is called vapor pressure). As long as the temperature doesn't change and as long as there is some liquid in the magazine, the pressure of the gas propelling your BBs remains constant. Here are the vapor pressure vs. temperature data for all four gases.

It is easy to see from the data why guns with plastic slides need to use HFC-134a (stock TM Hi-Capa 5.1, Western Arms, etc.). The pressure of propane (Green or Top Gas) or Red Gas is simply too high for them to handle unless the magazine valve has been modified to limit the flow of gas. It's also easy to see why CO2 requires a special magazine and valve system. It's vapor pressure at room temperature is more than seven times larger than propane. Using CO2 in a magazine designed for Green Gas (propane) would blow the gun apart when it was fired.

If you are using an unmodified GBB pistol with a plastic slide, you should stick to using only HFC-134a. If you have a modified gun that includes a metal slide, enhanced recoil spring, and metal guide, then you can use Green Gas. From here on, we will stop using the term Green Gas and simply say propane. The long-term advantage of being able to use propane is cost. Propane is available through most discount stores and sporting goods stores for less that $3.00 for a 16 ounce can when sold as fuel for camp stoves (Coleman, Bernzomatic, etc.). Compare that to $15 for an 8 ounce can of Green Gas. Of course, you'll need an adapter to fill your magazines. The adapter can be purchased from Airsoft Innovations (http://www.airsoft-innovations.com/) for $25 and is shown below.

If you buy an adapter, be sure to buy some light-weight silicone oil (also from Airsoft Innovations). The oil is added to the propane to lubricate your gun and seals and also to reduce the flammability of the propane.

The adapter comes with instructions for adding the oil and filling your magazines. Another advantage to propane over commercial Green Gas is that the steel cylinders that propane fuel comes in are much safer to transport than the thin-walled cylinders that Green Gas is shipped in. The downside to using propane is that it doesn't contain the perfume that is usually added to Green Gas. Instead of smelling like petunias, your shooting area will smell a little like rotten eggs. (If your spouse complains, just remind him/her of the money you are saving using propane!)

A word about filling your magazines. If you've followed the discussion above, you'll realize that the pressure of gas in your magazine doesn't depend on the length of time you fill the magazine. As long as you get some liquid in the magazine, the pressure of the gas is independent of the amount of liquid present. The colder the magazine is when you fill it, the more liquid you will transfer to the magazine and the more shots you will get. However, if you get too much liquid in the magazine, then some of it will rush out when you fire the first few shots and spray you and your gun with liquid propellant. This wastes propellant and can damage parts of your gun (like the nozzle and piston seal) that weren't built to handle the pressure increase that results when the liquid vaporizes inside them. With a little practice, you'll find the right ""charging time"" for your magazines.

Admin"

Question- will silicone dry spray work or just the oil. I looked at walmart earlier for sum silicone oil but I didnt see any.

+Quote Post
Disco_Dante
post Sep 17 2012, 02:08 PM
Post #27

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 39,847

Add Feedback for Disco_Dante

QUOTE (Guges Mk3 @ May 21 2011, 08:42 PM) *
Except that he has the concept of Red Gas wrong.

Having actually sold Red Gas and Green Gas back in 2003. Green Gas is Not propane. GG was originally branded as HFC122A, this whole concept about GG being propane only started getting convoluted after AI started marketing a product for using propane.

HFC122a was a "Green" alternative to the old gas gun standard of Freon and a propellant gas.

The university of Toronto performed a chemical analysis on different brands of "green gas" and propane, and conclusively demonstrated that what was being marketed as "Green Gas" was propane with lubricant in it.

+Quote Post

to add your banner to our network, click here
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 08:11 PM

Armory Tech Airsoft FoxAirsoft.com AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com ACMGear.com
AsiaAirsoft.com YZH.hkm TrinityAirsoft.com AirsoftRC.com eHobby Asia Vote for us
to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you enjoy using this website, please please support us financially with a small donation or upgrade your account. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend about us and share us on your favorite social networking website.

content copyright AirsoftForum.com 2003-2013 an Airsoft Forum, Airsoft Chat Room, Airsoft Auctions, Airsoft Reviews, and Airsoft Classified Ads Community
Get your discount from Armory Tech Airsoft
Get airsoft guns and more with award winning customer service at Trinity Airsoft
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
Professional Airsoft Solutions
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3