Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

airsoft forum and discussion board

to add your 468x60 banner, pay ad zone 1
Click Here for the Advanced ASF Search Tool
website template selector
Bookmark and Share

to place your ad here in Zone 3, click here

> General Buy-Sell Forum Rules

THIS AREA IS FOR THE DISCUSSION ABOUT BUYERS, SELLERS, AND AIRSOFT ITEMS AND NO SELLING IS ALLOWED IN THIS AREA - THIS IS THE GENERAL BST DISCUSSION FORUM. PLEASE ALSO READ THE PINNED TOPICS BELOW!

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Guide To Avoid Scammers, NECRO EXEMPT
Rating 5 V
NGOB
post Jan 12 2007, 07:43 AM
Post #1

The New Guy on the Block isn't so new anymore...

Group: Forum Administrator
Member No.: 14,607

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 11 (100%)
Add Feedback for NGOB

Note: This section does not include sales items, but I simply want to help my fellow airsofters avoid scammers. I believe more people who become scammed check in this Sale section rather than in the General section. I am going to point out a few scenarios and helpful advice to avoid scams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lately, I have noticed an increase of scams in the classifieds section. Every time I read a post about how someone lost hundred of dollars because someone stole their airsoft gun, I cringe, both with frustration against the scammer, and even for the person scammed. I would like to do my part to help stop this immoral activity and prevent scammers from cheating others.

Often times, you’ll see scammers trying to trick you. Don’t assume everyone who’s selling a gun actually has it. In fact, a better theory is to assume that the person DOES NOT have the item they’re ‘selling.’ Ask for proof of the purchase. Request pictures that depict everything, pay using secure methods (avoid sending pure cash to unknown locations), and keep all e-mails and receipts for proof. Inquire about the condition of the item and make sure the seller isn’t hiding anything from you that is negative. The best protection you have is your own judgment. Use your common sense; if the deal seems fishy, then do not risk anything and cancel the deal immediately. It can’t hurt to cancel the deal. As the old proverb goes: ‘better to be safe than sorry.’ Stealing your gun or stealing your money is the scammer’s fault, but it is your responsibility to prevent the situation. Be smart, use your common sense, and prevent scammers from obtaining their goal: to cheat you.

Here are some of my strategies that I use to prevent scammers:

1. First ask for condition of gun and any details, including what the buyer may be hiding from you. Condition, number of rounds through it, damage, upgrades, parts used or broken, and age.

2. Ask for pictures.

3. Ask for proof of purchase. My strategy is that I ask for a picture with a random number in it that I give to them. I ask them to write a random 5 digit number on a card or paper and take a photo with the number. Sometimes scammers steal other people's photos. My strategy helps in preventing scammers from stealing and using someone else's photo.

4. Familiarize yourself with the item being traded and compare your research with the seller's statements. If the seller does not know what they're talking about, they might not even own the item and are cheating you.

5. Use secure payment such as PayPal. It is insured and records are kept. Cold cash is very instable and unsecure and the other can easily take it and claim they never got the cash. Money orders are more secure than cash, but the other can still take it and claim they never got the payment.

6. Request personal information BEFORE the deal goes through. Phones, e-mail, fax, address, everything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I will tell a story of how I ALMOST got scammed by an African operation:

When I was selling my M15A4 Rifle, I received a broken-English e-mail from a person claiming they wanted to buy my airsoft gun. The grammar and spelling was so difficult to understand, I spent more time trying to udnerstand it than send a response back. The guy callousely ignored my request for secure payment and ignored my reqpest for personal information, including a name. Eventually, he claimed he lived in the United Kingdom. With each e-mail, he wrote a religious statement such as "There is only one ..." or "Be faithful and you shall be received." I am not religious and I found his statements extremely offensive, but he ignored my requests to stop spreading his religion. All he wanted was my Rifle.

After a month of trying to gleam information from him, I tried to give up on the deal. He kept insisting he wanted to pay by check, which I know carries a high risk of scams. All the while, he told me a false story of how his family is starving and poor, and robbers come to steal their possessions. He needed my gun for 'protection,' which would not be much protection at all. 6mm pellets cannot kill a robber... His next story said he was a businessman who traveled a lot, and he needed my gun for protection. A poor, starving man who can afford to travel around the world? And why would he be walking around with a 5 foot long airsoft gun? With each inconvenience, I tried to terminate the deal. Each time, he raised his offer for my gun by 25, then 50, then 100, until it was 50 dollars over the highest retail price. Long before this, I was suspicious of his actions.

He randomly sent payment without my permission in the form of a check. He ignored my requests for asking how much he wrote the check for. We didn't even agree on a shipping price. Shipping for a large package over the Atlantic is expensive as everyone knows.

His first payment was given with a UPS tracking number. My hopes rose because he had provided a valid number. However, I was suspicious why he sent a letter by UPS, which is primariy a parcel company. His first payment got stuck in Kentucky...and never moved for two weeks. The number currently says it is still in Kentucky bound for my destination.

The second payment was sent towards the end of the second month. He ignored my requests for tracking. When I received it, I was shocked. Firstly, the check said $5000. He sent a $5000 for a $545 package. Immedietly, I knew it was a scam. The Federal Reserve's check system places customer convenience before security. If I were to cash the check, then send my M15A4 and send the remainder after my deduction to the buyer, the check would have bounced, leaving me with a $4455 debt and no airsoft gun. His excuse was he had to buy some coffer (or did he mean 'coffee?' I don't know, his English was so horrible) tables in California. A poor, starving man sent a $5000 check to buy tables and an airsoft gun?

Some other warning signs were on the check. There was no return address on the envelope, the check's holder's name did not match the signature or my buyer, the stamp came from South America, the man was supposedly from the UK, the bank the check came from was Chinese and is located only in Texas, and an investigator who examined my letter said the check came from Africa. Really? This is a scam.

I found another buyer who was much more cooperative, and so I traded my M15A4 for a glorious UMG package.

So, if you ever receive a check or payment several hundred dollars above your asking price, turn the offer down and report the person. While the check clears, you send your items, including the remainder of the money. Then, a letter from your bank says your check bounced, and now you owe them $4500 by the end of the week.

Here are some warning signs of scams:

-The seller has no pictures to prove the existence of the item he is selling
-The seller lacks sufficient knowledge of his own item he is selling
-The brand of the gun is unknown or is not even listed
-The gun condition hasn’t been described
-There is not enough information regarding the accessories of the package
-Asking price is unusually low
-Asking price is unnaturally high
-Seller lacks communication skills to contact buyers or meet their requests
-Incredibly rare or discontinued item at extremely low price
-Condition of gun does not match asking price
-Payment type is in pure cash form
-Item location is in foreign country and seller requests check as payment
-Payment in form of check is above asking price

Any suspicion at all, and the deal should be cancelled. Better to be safe than sorry. Stop scammers. It's their fault and their actions that are illegal, but you can easily avoid the scams. It is your responsibility to avoid the scam. If you fall for it, it's your own fault. So, please stop these crimes and prevent scammers from taking advantage of our fellow airsofters. The sales and trades of airsoft guns are important in our sport; it is unfortunate people take advantage of it, but we should work to prevent these crimes. If moderators could close and ban all scammers more, if we could report more scammers, and if we could set up a "scamer list," more appropriately known as "hall of shame," the number of scams would decrease, and maybe even cease here at ASF, and at other classifieds for airsoft.

Moderators, if this topic is not appropriate for the Sales section, then you may delete. I want to do my part to make these forums a better place, and I'm sure all of you want to do the same. Your actions and authority keep this forum in order and make this a better forum for all; your response to this thread is greatly appriciated, whatever you decide to do.

This post has been edited by airborne101: Feb 24 2013, 01:39 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kutabare
post Jan 12 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #2

ASF Citizen

Group: Elite
Member No.: 25,094

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 0 (0%)
Add Feedback for kutabare

Great guide; I found it extremely helpful. I particularly like point number 3, dealing with the random number. The same thing has often crossed my mind, that someone could steal another person's picture. Heck, they could even register with the same username that that person has on another forum to fake their reputation. This method definitely adds a great deal of security and peace of mind.

+Quote Post
Allizard
post Jan 12 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Der Weiner Meister

Member No.: 16,301

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 29 (100%)
Add Feedback for Allizard

Yeah.. it does bother me when the seller can't provide a picture. I mean it not that hard anymore. Digital Camera are cheap and you can take a decent picture with your cell phone camera too.

+Quote Post
kiki-jiki
post Jan 13 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #4

TM M14 User

Member No.: 15,013

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 5 (100%)
Add Feedback for kiki-jiki

QUOTE (New Guy on the Block @ Jan 12 2007, 07:43 AM) *
Now, I will tell a story of how I ALMOST got scammed by an African operation:

When I was selling my M15A4 Rifle, I received a broken-English e-mail from a person claiming they wanted to buy my airsoft gun. The grammar and spelling was so difficult to understand, I spent more time trying to udnerstand it than send a response back. The guy callousely ignored my request for secure payment and ignored my reqpest for personal information, including a name. Eventually, he claimed he lived in the United Kingdom. With each e-mail, he wrote a religious statement such as "There is only one ..." or "Be faithful and you shall be received." I am not religious and I found his statements extremely offensive, but he ignored my requests to stop spreading his religion. All he wanted was my Rifle.

After a month of trying to gleam information from him, I tried to give up on the deal. He kept insisting he wanted to pay by check, which I know carries a high risk of scams. All the while, he told me a false story of how his family is starving and poor, and robbers come to steal their possessions. He needed my gun for 'protection,' which would not be much protection at all. 6mm pellets cannot kill a robber... His next story said he was a businessman who traveled a lot, and he needed my gun for protection. A poor, starving man who can afford to travel around the world? And why would he be walking around with a 5 foot long airsoft gun? With each inconvenience, I tried to terminate the deal. Each time, he raised his offer for my gun by 25, then 50, then 100, until it was 50 dollars over the highest retail price. Long before this, I was suspicious of his actions.

I can relate to this kind of scam crap. A couple months ago my dad was trying to sell his 1950's GMC Fire Truck on a couple different car/truck classified websites. He got, literally, about 5-10 of these kinds of emails EVERY DAY. The english and grammar was atrocious, and they always lived in Nigeria, or the UK, or somewhere foreign. And they would say that they are going to "have their agent pick up the truck and give you a check". And the check would be for $10,000 (my dad was selling the truck for $3,500). And then they would say "Take the check, send me the truck, and give me back $6,500. And what would happen (the websites would have Scammer Alerts ALL over the place) is that the person would gain $6,500 (because their check would bounce, but the seller would end up paying $6,500 to the scammer) and probably dump the truck on the side of the road or something.

So I whole-heartedly (sp?) agree with what New Guy said, its all true. NEVER sell something by check for more than the item is worth to someone overseas....Never. There's probably a 99% chance its a scam...

I DEFINITELY think this should be stickied. DEFINITELY.

-Great guide!!!

-P.S.- New guy, when will you have your UMG takedown guide done? a-grin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Airsoft Monkey
post Jan 13 2007, 02:56 AM
Post #5

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 23,094

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 1 (100%)
Add Feedback for Airsoft Monkey

I like the guide, But I need to add this.

Paypal is not always the safest way, yes for the buyer it's great, but a seller can get scammed, let me tell you how.

I had someone pay via paypal, showed verfied/confirmed the whole deal, They paid, I sent my item, and a few days later I found a negative in my account, and paypal could not recover it, I lost over $200.00 because of this AND I had to pay paypal back or loose my account, well you can most likely guess what happened to my account, I was a-censored.gif mad.

I know know how the buyer did it now, and after how much information I have on paypal, I don't dare use it UNLESS it's totally needed.

Now I recommend to the buyer because its very safe, and if you know how to use correctly, you have some HUGE advantages, ALTHOUGH, there is still a chance to get scammed.

As a seller, I wouldn't dare let anyone I haven't seen post a lot, or I have talked to for along time, why? Because you can get really a-censored.gif as a seller, trust me. Not only can you loose your money, your item, you have to pay back paypal the money if a buyer does a certain thing, and pay a $10.00 fee, and if ou don't actually pay them back, they will threaten you for the rest of your life, I'am not joking.

How do I know? After HOURS and HOURS or research, sitting on the phone with paypal.

Just be aware fellow ASF members, paypal isn't all they say it is, trust me please.

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Jan 13 2007, 09:53 AM
Post #6

Add Feedback for NGOB

Paypal is the most secure form available as of now available to the majority of the crowd. COnsidering these options:

Cold hard cash
Money Order
Bank Transfer
PayPal

Paypal is simply the easiest and most secure of the four. It isn't foolproof of course. The seller has the responsibility of balancing thir account so their own account doesn't bounce. That isn't a scam; it's a mathematical concept. If there's a good record of payment, then the insurance pays for it. If there isn't, how can someone expect to receive compensation? Paypal is a great method and I recommend it 100% because I've never had a problem with it. The only thing I say about it is that it isn't real money; it's simply an electronical credit system.

Note: Gathering pictures for my guide. May take a couple more days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
p8ntslinger
post Jan 13 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #7

ASF Citizen

Group: Member
Member No.: 26,002

Add Feedback for p8ntslinger

Just remember with Paypal the Seller has to Prove Delivery. Never never never send a box without at least some sort of delivery conformation. If you don't then the buyer can just claim he never received it.
I had an issue a couple of years back,I sent a $900 paintball gun to France. It got tied up in customs for weeks. The buyer ended up filing a claim with paypal. Even though I could prove shipment (express at that) it didn't mean anything, I had to prove delivery. Lucky for me the buyer was honest and after 6 weeks he got the gun and canceled the claim, otherwise I would have lost out.

I find Paypal is still by far the safest way to deal but still not pefect. Try to avoid all Personal checks or even Bank Drafts and Money Orders,they all can have stop payments put on them. If you do take a check deposit it and don't spend the money or ship the item for at least 14 days in many cases to let it clear the bank.

Use your head,if something sounds to good to be true,most times it is. To many theives out there.

+Quote Post
Allizard
post Jan 13 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #8

Der Weiner Meister

Member No.: 16,301

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 29 (100%)
Add Feedback for Allizard

QUOTE (p8ntslinger @ Jan 13 2007, 08:46 AM) *
Just remember with Paypal the Seller has to Prove Delivery. Never never never send a box without at least some sort of delivery conformation. If you don't then the buyer can just claim he never received it.
I had an issue a couple of years back,I sent a $900 paintball gun to France. It got tied up in customs for weeks. The buyer ended up filing a claim with paypal. Even though I could prove shipment (express at that) it didn't mean anything, I had to prove delivery. Lucky for me the buyer was honest and after 6 weeks he got the gun and canceled the claim, otherwise I would have lost out.

I find Paypal is still by far the safest way to deal but still not pefect. Try to avoid all Personal checks or even Bank Drafts and Money Orders,they all can have stop payments put on them. If you do take a check deposit it and don't spend the money or ship the item for at least 14 days in many cases to let it clear the bank.

Use your head,if something sounds to good to be true,most times it is. To many theives out there.

Excellent point! And I use the building shipping with delivery confirmation. Paypal will know if the item has arrived or not.

+Quote Post
EvilJester
post Jan 13 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #9

ASF Citizen

Group: user_has_broken_email
Member No.: 25,126

Add Feedback for EvilJester

Postal Money orders are probably the safest in terms of physically sending a payment to someone. If you get scammed, you can file things to either recover your money or whatever, but you have to wait 60 days. I always either use PayPal or US Postal Money Orders. I recently paid for something I never received as well (TM Aimpoint), and I did it with a Postal Money order. The nicest part about Postal Money Orders is that, if the seller accepts and cashes it, and they don't send your stuff, they can be liable for mail fraud.

This post has been edited by EvilJester: Jan 13 2007, 03:43 PM

--------------------
I own West Penn Powdercoating.

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Jan 13 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #10

Add Feedback for NGOB

Excellent point. But I personally would rather make a few clicks than drive all the way to a post office. What I am trying to say is use the more secure method; MO and PayPal each are secure, but one has better record keeping and is much more convenient. The other is real money, but it's harder to recover the amount stolen should the fraud be true.

BTW, should I ask someone to pin this? I wanted to make this because of these scammers who think they can get away with these things. I doubt this will get pinned; it takes a real good point to make a pin...

This post has been edited by New Guy on the Block: Jan 13 2007, 10:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Airsoft Monkey
post Jan 14 2007, 01:11 AM
Post #11

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 23,094

Add Feedback for Airsoft Monkey

Even with prove of delivery, buyer signing for the package, you the seller can get screwed.. Trust me, It's happen to me, it's happened to friends, if you know how to break paypal's system, it's quite simple, if your a scammer of course.

I stay away from paypal for many personal reasons, but once and awhile I will use paypal.

But I do agree with you New Guy on the Block, its simple and easy, you just need to watch out.

That's all I was saying to fellow ASF members, just be careful when using paypal, and follow the steps listed above, and you should be okay, although there is NEVER a guarantee on anything.

Good guide, I hope it gets pinned a-thumbsup.gif

QUOTE (EvilJester @ Jan 13 2007, 12:43 PM) *
Postal Money orders are probably the safest in terms of physically sending a payment to someone. If you get scammed, you can file things to either recover your money or whatever, but you have to wait 60 days. I always either use PayPal or US Postal Money Orders. I recently paid for something I never received as well (TM Aimpoint), and I did it with a Postal Money order. The nicest part about Postal Money Orders is that, if the seller accepts and cashes it, and they don't send your stuff, they can be liable for mail fraud.

Yeah and I totally agree and your 100% correct for anyone thinking this isn't true.

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Feb 4 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #12

Add Feedback for NGOB

I guess my guide was more successful than I thought. I see many folks here using my Number technique. However, I think I should make one small amendment. I think the number thing should be made to the seller through a PM. Sometimes the seller finds these 20 requests for a random number in a picture annoying and their ad gets tainted with arguments. In cosnideration for the seller, I would suggest requesting a random number picture through a PM so the seller doesn't have to respond negatively.

However, if the seller is rude and is unwilling to meet the buyer's request, then perhaps the deal should be reconsidered, no? a-famerican.gif

I also have another piece of advice: if a seller's VERY FIRST POST here is for an ad, it does not necessarily mean they are automatically a scammer, although caution should be observed. We should give everyone a fair chance, including new members. But excercise caution.

This post has been edited by New Guy on the Block: Feb 4 2007, 09:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Feb 8 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #13

Add Feedback for NGOB

I have seen another case where the buyer was shipped a defective gun not as described.

I will stress another point:

ASK FOR DETAILS, OUTSIDE AND IN! Ask about the condition internally as well, such as stripped gears or missing teeth in the piston or worn-out o-rings. If the buyer cannot say of the internal condition, either they have not opened the gearbox for maintenence or examination or they are trying to hide the condition.

A picture of the internals would be really tedious to the seller. Just take the extra step to ask how it fires and what damage might be to the internals. Ask for a compensation should the internals turn out to be shot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vietec
post Feb 21 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #14

Extreme Chairsofter

Group: Moderator Level 2
Member No.: 21,437

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 13 (100%)
Add Feedback for vietec

I heard about this before. Some guy tried to buy my electric scooter off airsoftclassifieds. He also told me abotu having faith and to deliver before the check cleaers. Luckily for me, I read abotu somethign like this before and I told him that I would have to wait for the check to clear. And so he told me that G0D was on my side and I said yeah, he can be on my side when the check clears. I recieved a check that was clearly fake. The signature was depixlated and the name had a portion of the "s" cut off. I email the guy (James Brown) and said that I knew it was a scam, a few curse words later and a don't try your (Yahshua, The censored2.gif, Emanual - That's my name, don't use it in vain)/G0D is on your side thing again, I owuld report him to Interpol and I never recieved a reply.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Feb 23 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #15

Add Feedback for NGOB

Thanks for charing that experience, vietec. Everyone remember, that's not a statement against religion, but it was a factor in my near-scam.

Also, why is there feedback of John Le here? Funny, I know the guy personally (sort of). This is a guide for avoiding scams and frauds, please, not a feeback topic...

--------------------

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Feb 27 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #16

Add Feedback for NGOB

If you took the proper steps listed in my guide and didn't receive them, it is possible he may have simply forgotten. I did that once; I sold a paintball sight mount but forgot to include the actual mounting pieces for the rail; I shipped them seperately at my own cost. So contact him again and maybe he'll explain the situation to you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Mar 12 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #17

Add Feedback for NGOB

Pleased to say that I have not seen a scam for a while now...it seems the security measures listed are being implemented permanantly into the ASF Buying and Selling section. I believe it is now safe to say that these suggestions have almost become standards for advertisements here and are now almsot considered rules to avoid forgery.

Let's keep up the good work in identifying scams and shady deals! Catching more scammers here will discourage other scammers from trying to cheat ASF members! Keep up the good work and thanks for implementing the suggestions effectively and rapidly!

a-famerican.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Apr 3 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #18

Add Feedback for NGOB

To celebrate this guide's 1000th view, I'm going to add another piece of advice I wisht o share with ASF. When one approaches a new deal, a change in approach is necessary. The following are some "tips" one should try to use when approaching a possible transaction:

----------------------------------------------------

1. Don't use possesive pronouns that relate to you (I, my, mine, etc) when describing. Talking about yourself does not appeal to the other.

2. Talk to the other person, not about yourself (Ex. "I know you want to get the best out of your deal and I know you're an honest guy...")

3. Don't demand things (Ex. "Lower your price by $100"). Ask in form of questions ("Would it be possible for the price to be lowered a little?")

4. When approaching the other first the first time, refer to them by name, not by forum name, if possible. A personal approach sometimes is more effective.

5. When meeting the other for the first time, ask about how they're doing, how's work going, etc. Get them to talk about themselves for a while. The goal is to get them comfortable with you. Everyone can talk about themselves forever. If you can get him to talk about himself, life achievements, honors, airsoft guns he owns, cars he has, computers he made, how his college is going, how awesome his airsoft skills are, number of trophies, how good he is and how good he thinks he is, you'll find he's much more willing to go your way.

6. When meeting the other for the first time, inquire about an event you know he's connected to and has shared with you (Ex. "How did you day at work go with your new promotion?" "How was your baseball game yesterday?")

7. Generally, be polite and understanding. The other has the power over their price; you cannot force him to change it

8. When starting with good news, don't use "but," as it can imply that you're trying to "soften" the other before hitting them with your proposal (Ex. "This is an awesome airsoft gun, but the price might be too high")

9. When meeting the other for the first time, don't announce right away that you want the price lower; either wait until he asks you if the price is okay or wait until the opportune moment; avoid bringing up the topic and let him bring up the topic. Begin with #6: start with an event that you know is personal to him.

10. Say things like "I appriciate what you're doing for me..." or "Thanks a lot for doing this..." etc.

11. Pride is a natural human instinct that is protected. Break their pride, and you have zero hope of lowering the price. Make them want to lower your price; don't force it.

12. Don't use sarcasm; it's a direct blow to their pride.

13. Don't be condenscending (did I spell that right?).

14. When leaving, even if you didn't get the price lowered, be polite. Don't shout at him if he doesn't want to lower the price. Leave a good impression on him from start to finish. Even if you do not see or talk to each other again, it is best to morally strive for good character.

----------------------------------------------------

The main point I want to stress is that being polite is key. Being sarcastic, condescening, or rude to other not only ruins your chance of making a successful deal, but it affects your own character and image as well.

These points were derived from How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.

These points were derived from a previous post made upon my behalf earlier.

I suggest reading How to Win Friends and Influence People in its entirety to fully gain good character building and skills for influence.

This post has been edited by New Guy on the Block: Apr 3 2007, 11:28 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
NGOB
post May 19 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #19

Add Feedback for NGOB

I looked back and this and realized I missed a very important tip: TRACKING NUMBERS.

Request it! Request it! Request it! Smaller packages may not need it, but when shipping airsoft guns or large valued packages, use a tracking number so you know it is sent.

USPS uses confirmation numbers, and UPS/others use tracking. I usually use USPS First Class for small packages rather than Priority or other companies. It's cheaper and most often faster than Priority because of the size. UPS is great for large packages, though FedEx seems to inflict the least shipping damage. These are just my experiences and my methods.

If you request tracking and the other says he didn't get it or says he lost the receipt or makes some other excuses, then some suspicious activity may be present.

This post has been edited by New Guy on the Block: May 19 2007, 09:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
NGOB
post May 23 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #20

Add Feedback for NGOB

Another point:

KEEP ALL IMPORTANT PMS, E-MAILS, IM MESSAGE LOGS, etc HANDY!

Deleting these vital messages can be the difference between losing 500 dollars or retrieving that money back. Any message that has anything to do with the trade or transaction should be saved for future use. For safety, I keep my PMs and messages even longer just in case something happens after the deal is done.

What brought this to my attention was when someone told me they deleted their messages regarding a sale, so now evidence is in short supply for a refund.

Keep those messages handy! (Yes, that may mean keeping your PM or e-mail inbox clean)

--------------------

+Quote Post
chris346
post Jun 5 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #21

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 29,706

Add Feedback for chris346

Sorry if this question has been answered.

What do you do for trades when someone makes a deal and decides just not to ship his part of the bargain? Is there anything that can be done? He'd get your stuff without having to lost anything

How would you avoid someone that way? They could still take pictures of the stuff they have and just not send it. Anyway to catch besides banning IP so others don't get scammed?

Thanks in advance, I usually trade instead of purchasing and don't want to get scammed. Been lucky so far :D

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Jun 6 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #22

Add Feedback for NGOB

A difficult and worrisome scenario. Like yourself, I am a person who prefers to trade rather than sell. It's much easier in my opinion.

Well, in most cases, you try to work by whoever has an established reputation. Someone who is new and has no reputation should probably ship first to the person who has a reputation. It really comes down to honesty and a person's morality. Most have the decency to make their part of the deal.

The French philosopher Rousseau believed people are born independant and good-natured. If he is correct, then people will have the honesty to ship. The reality is people take advantage.

Ship to a courteous and respected member first. That way your chances of being cheated are less.

--------------------

+Quote Post
atrocity
post Jun 14 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #23

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 30,049

Add Feedback for atrocity

First of all, this is what im selling and it CLEARLY says what I payed for it new:
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/classifieds/...834&cat=all

have questions about to potential buyers

I received this email:
him:

TM ak47 with extras, cheap!

I am **** ***** just got on the site cos I need to get a soft gun
for my inlaw in abroad,and I came accross your advert on the site,I
would like to know the condition of the item,and if you would
accept moneyorders?if yes I am willing to make the payment
including the money for the shipment too,I hope about $500 would be
alright?if not tell me how much would cover it all,and also please
I hope this is no scam cos I have heard soo much about internet
fraud on oprah,and I hope the police is involved too?write back as
soon as possible.

me:
I can lower it to 400 I you want, have any questoins about the gun or anything =/ get back asap

him:
Thank you for the reply..and for the price,what I would like you to forward to me is syour mailing informations so that I can mail the payment to you as soon as possible.

me:
well, can I have you area code first to see where your located? and once I receive payment I ship everything out correct?

him:
Please don't worry about the shipping I would arrange the shipping of the merchandise..all I need to do is to get your payment to you,and to do that I need your postal address and information.

my area code anyway is

next one I have a big typo and he doesnt notice it:

how is this gonna work out though? you send payment then I RECEIVE PACKAGE? get back asap and I thnk you forgot to give me the area code

jb

last email from him:

my area code is ****** and yes I am going to send the payment via a postal service and when you receive it you would cash it straight away.I wait to read from you soon... and about the shipping I would arrange picking it up as soon as the fund are cleared by you.

my question is that his email says .uk and you said their most likely foreign. On the first email his english is terrible. I clearly have posted I spent 460 on this gun and he offered 500! He asked no questions about the gun, he went straight to buying it. Next I ask for his area code and it has letters in it, doesnt show up with usps. And lastly he says he wants to pick it up? after he said hed pay for shipping

This sounds fishy but he did offer to pay with money order and he did give me his address with a wack area code unless its like that in europe. My question is is there any possible way of me getting scammed if he sends me the money order and I cash it, have the money in my hand is there any possible way for me to get scammed?

Next guy:

TM ak47 with extras, cheap!

Hello,
Goodday to you!am interested in purchasing your item
without no further delay,but first?What is the final
price of the item? Will you be accepting a US
certified Cashiers Check or Postal Money
order?due to the fact that my client is taking care of
the shippment of the item and the payment you are
going to recieve will include some excess fund on the
check or money order which you going to be wire to the
shipping company that will come for the pickup of the
item,so here are the questions.
1.can we trust u with the money?

2. will u be able to wire transfer the excess the same
day you receive the check or money order ?

3. will u be available when the shipping company will
be coming for the pickup?

4. is the working condition of the ITEM okay?

5.your email address?

6. can we take u for ur words? Contact me with the
present state of the item and your contact information
to mail out the payment to you as soon as
possible.Name you want on check: Home Address:
City:State: Country: Phone Number/Office Number.

Now this guy has all the clues that hes a scammer, wire back money, no questions about item, his shipping company will pick it up. IN his first paragraph he uses "you" then on his numbered questions he says "u" but he did offer to pay with money order, but im pretty sure this is a scam if you can back me up

If you can help me im in desperete need to sell this but don't wanna get scammed

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Jun 14 2007, 07:15 AM
Post #24

Add Feedback for NGOB

Classic case. DO NOT TAKE IT. This is another Nigerian operation.

Warning signs include:

-Arranged shipping by private individual to minimize tracking by law enforcement
-Overpaying so they earn profit
-Insecure form of payment
-Terrible grammar (a subtle hint of scammer operation)

Trust me, you DO NOT want to take this offer. This has 100% fradulant clues.

If you need to sell, sell to trustworthy individuals, not scammers like these.

This post has been edited by New Guy on the Block: Jun 14 2007, 07:17 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mishapman
post Jul 3 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #25

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 31,377

Add Feedback for mishapman

QUOTE (chris346 @ Jun 5 2007, 10:02 PM) *
What do you do for trades when someone makes a deal and decides just not to ship his part of the bargain? Is there anything that can be done? He'd get your stuff without having to lost anything

Thanks in advance, I usually trade instead of purchasing and don't want to get scammed. Been lucky so far :D

You could always use an escrow as a third party. But your escrow person/service has to be reliable or both parties are liable to get had.

Example: I don't know you. You don't know me. We both know and trust Mojo Nixon. We both give our stuff to Mojo and Mojo completes the transaction. If both parties don't meet the deal. Mojo gives everyone their stuff back.

Escrow.com is eBay's official recommended service, for what that's worth. They suggest using it for stuff over $500. There are other services too. Fees vary. There are, of course, reports of fraudulent services, so do your research before trusting one.

BTW...my wife had the weird Africans trying to scam her too on some expensive jewelry. I guess they troll Stars and Stripes over here in Europe. Same crazy business about being in Africa, ship to the UK, Momma needs a new pair of shoes and this jewelry will mean the world to her. Forget it.

There's always a degree of risk, but sometimes you gotta go with, "In /THOU SHALT NOT USE MY NAME IN VAIN/ we trust...all other's pay cash." Unfortunately, circumstances don't always allow it.

--------------------
ECHO1 M16A4 - modified, 400 fps/12 bps
JG BAR-10 - modified, 500 fps
CYMA 030 - stock was 125 fps, modified 150 160 179 195 fps/12 bps
Clear Cybergun Taurus PT92 springer, 200 fps...yeah baby.
------
At what point do you become a "friend collector" on Facebook? Seriously, who really gives that much a crap about 200 or more people to keep up with their daily random text excretions?

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Oct 18 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #26

Add Feedback for NGOB

It has come to my realization that with the recent flood of clones to the market, that we must be resilient in our fight against scammers by taking note of this new market. Clones appear similar to higher quality brands, so be sure to ask for a picture of the gun logo. You could be thinking you're buying a used Tokyo Marui, when instead you get a run-down Jing Gong instead. A coded picture of the manufacturer logo insures a safe transaction against a clone scam.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kraziwun
post Dec 31 2007, 09:36 PM
Post #27

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 31,152

Add Feedback for Kraziwun

Unless I'm missing something, does point 3 require a random number even? How about just your member number?

--------------------
Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer.

-Ronald Reagan

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Jan 1 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #28

Add Feedback for NGOB

It can be any number or phrase. Member name, forum name, numbers, letters, shapes, pictures, whatever.

Also, these are all "guidelines" to keep you all safe. Nothing is required. The rules do not incorporate these points, as our forum does not assume liability for scams. But these points can stop most scams in their tracks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Night Fire
post Jan 17 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #29

don't tase me, bro.

Member No.: 22,730

Add Feedback for Night Fire

Same happened to me. Some guy from Africa kept emailing me saying he was the son of a king over there or something and wanted to give me half of his fathers share, which he said was a couple million dollars. He told me some fake stupid story how he travels to the US and wanted to be a partner with me. He got my name somehow and then got my address and sent me checks worth hundreds of dollars. Then he got my phone number and was calling my house and was asking for my name, and wouldn't stop calling. He was trying to do an African voice like he was from there, but he really lived in the US. We threatened to call the police if he called one more time, and that stopped him.

And the thing is, he never wanted anything, he was just going to send me a few million dollars in "big crates", and that is what he actually said. He also wanted my SSC and other private information.

That's not related to Airsoft, but it is related to scams over email or a forum. The best thing to do when you get spam is to not even open it or reply, it prevents things like what happened above from even starting.

+Quote Post
jotaerre
post Mar 8 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #30

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 33,666

My Temperament:11,0,7,6
Add Feedback for jotaerre

QUOTE (New Guy on the Block @ Jan 12 2007, 01:43 PM) *
3. Ask for proof of purchase. My strategy is that I ask for a picture with a random number in it that I give to them. I ask them to write a random 5 digit number on a card or paper and take a photo with the number. Sometimes scammers steal other people's photos. My strategy helps in preventing scammers from stealing and using someone else's photo.

Nice and helpful idea.

Thanks a million!

JR

--------------------
"...y si algún dia la suerte me engaña y se va sin avisar, déjame al menos morir en batalla, luchar hasta el final..."

http://de-6-mm.blogspot.com

+Quote Post
xXMiCW0lv3rin3Xx
post May 31 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #31

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 39,716

Add Feedback for xXMiCW0lv3rin3Xx

how is what he said offensive to you? but great guide.

--------------------

"Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs always hit the ground."

+Quote Post
ah dinosaur!
post Jun 15 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #32

Invest, Repair, Sell, Repeat
Group Icon

Group: Authorized Seller Free
Member No.: 34,071
SOA Name: ah dinosaur

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 22 (95.8%)
Add Feedback for ah dinosaur!

QUOTE (xXMiCW0lv3rin3Xx @ May 31 2008, 01:56 PM) *
how is what he said offensive to you? but great guide.

because he's not really a religious person, like he said.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I've gotten TONS of emails like the one you got from the scammers. I'm trying to sell something on craigslist and I've gottne like 6 of them so far. They all say word for word the same things like " I'm interested in the immediate purchase of all your items" (never specifically asking about it)
they all insist that they have to trust me to send them the excess money back (which is for the courier service that he's arranging?!?)

anyway, if the broken engrish wasn't enough, this guide brought light to the scam that was at hand.

--------------------
Check my Sales!
QUOTE (NUSCerick @ Dec 31 2009, 09:40 AM) *
do you snipe, or actually play airsoft...

+Quote Post
StarvinMarvin
post Jun 23 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #33

Welcome to the Jungle

Member No.: 40,563

Add Feedback for StarvinMarvin

QUOTE (kutabare @ Jan 12 2007, 02:58 PM) *
Great guide; I found it extremely helpful. I particularly like point number 3, dealing with the random number. The same thing has often crossed my mind, that someone could steal another person's picture. Heck, they could even register with the same username that that person has on another forum to fake their reputation. This method definitely adds a great deal of security and peace of mind.

Yeah I agree with you. That idea would have never come across my mind.

+Quote Post
Empire932
post Nov 13 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #34

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 44,422

Add Feedback for Empire932

I know this is an old thread.
But scamming never ends.
Here's what ive picked up, over my multiple forum years.
A Lot of the forums are now making this a rule, as in if it doesn't have it, it gets closed.
I think this forum would benefit from it because a lot of the items are higher priced.
The poster takes a pic of the item, with a piece of paper with the following information
-Username
-Date
-forum name

Yes it is like the 5# thing,But there wouldn't be a wait for the picture.
I tend to do that in any forum im selling something even if pictures are required, it raises the potential buyer confidence that you have the object.

So with those three things on that paper, if someone else steals it from another forum..well it would have that forum name and not that one, also the date.
I do agree with asking for the 5# paper if the poster doesn't do something like above.

Heres an example with my fs thread on another forum
http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38944

Once again, I do apologize for posting in a thread thats old, its just a good thing to have in mind if you plan on selling anything soon.

+Quote Post
god_of_thunder
post Jan 3 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #35

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 40,959

Add Feedback for god_of_thunder

nice post very helpful

im buying a used systema PTw from someone on the PTW forums so this guide will come in handy

I like the idea of using a random number thing and having them take a pic of the number and gun and themselves

thanks =]

--------------------

Thanks pyrosniper for the sig and avatar!
My Guns:
-SRC M4 CQB w/ Deans connectors, 8.4V 3300 elite battery, Prometheus 6.03mm X 363mm TBB, Big out H-nub, Systema bucking, M120 spring
-Systema '07 M4 MAX PTW =]

"May gawd have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.” -Patton

+Quote Post
maverik
post Mar 19 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #36

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 44,601

Add Feedback for maverik

Sorry for the major necro post but I was wondering how would one try to get his/her money back from paypal?

+Quote Post
losigod
post Mar 24 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #37

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 44,709

Add Feedback for losigod

QUOTE (maverik @ Mar 19 2009, 08:01 PM) *
Sorry for the major necro post but I was wondering how would one try to get his/her money back from paypal?

yeah I just opened a paypal and was wondering the same

--------------------
BOYCOT ANYTHING A.T.F. RELATED GEAR/GUNS ECT.
THANK YOU!!!! to troops in every branch in every war
J.G. 416 crane $165
deans connectors$2
vert grip$20
nc star 4x30 scope & rings$45
no name rail riser $15
3point sling$20
real steel bipod$25
jb 455mm tbb 6.03$45
systema bucking $6
echo1 H nub (white one)$5
magpul moe trigger guard$10
echo1 od target grip$18
element +/- seals silencer$22
tenergy 4200mah batt.$35
madbull 16" dissapator outer barrel
with some modification to make fit $45
rewired switch/motor to batt. with novak super flex 16 ga $8
sofar!!

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Mar 24 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #38

Add Feedback for NGOB

Well, the first step is to file a dispute. If he problem continues, then escalate it to a claim. PayPal reviews your case, and if you provide sufficient evidence, money is transferred back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StrikeOut
post Apr 22 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #39

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 47,921

Add Feedback for StrikeOut

can someone help me out with this (im reasonably sure its a scam but...):
heres the exact message" How are you doing, I was just browsing through the Classified site (Facebook) I will like to buy your lovely item for my cousin whom was posted to West Africa on a training course on Environmental pollution.I want to know if this lovely item is still available for sales,get back to me if the item is still
available for sale.I am willing to offer you $1,280.00 for the item,including shipping cost via USP Express Mail to west
Africa,will be paying you through PayPal because it's the safest way to pay online

the thing is, im selling it for 800... any help?
seeing as I've gotten numerous emails about them getting it for some foreign friend, im assuming its yet another scam. I have read through about the dangers of selling through pay-pal, but if I get proof of delivery... I just need some help about if its a scam please
sorry, its not related specifically to airsoft, just scamming

This post has been edited by StrikeOut: Apr 22 2009, 01:25 PM

+Quote Post
Stondanator
post May 4 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #40

ASF Immigrant

Group: user_has_broken_email
Member No.: 48,068

Add Feedback for Stondanator

Lol I remeber the time my clarence lai tanaka m870 slug got ripped. He sounded pretty convinsing to. Also another thing you should do is ask for the guys number and call him and tell him to fire the gun hes trading for you. Its what I do now, and its worked out pretty well.

--------------------
Every guy who comes across a hot girl will say daymn.........
Every guy who comes across my glock says OH SH!+!!

+Quote Post

to add your banner to our network, click here
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 07:43 PM

Armory Tech Airsoft FoxAirsoft.com AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com ACMGear.com
AsiaAirsoft.com YZH.hkm TrinityAirsoft.com AirsoftRC.com eHobby Asia Vote for us
to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you enjoy using this website, please please support us financially with a small donation or upgrade your account. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend about us and share us on your favorite social networking website.

content copyright AirsoftForum.com 2003-2013 an Airsoft Forum, Airsoft Chat Room, Airsoft Auctions, Airsoft Reviews, and Airsoft Classified Ads Community
Get your discount from Armory Tech Airsoft
Get airsoft guns and more with award winning customer service at Trinity Airsoft
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
Professional Airsoft Solutions
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3