Reply to this topicStart new topic
> KWA SR12 Review and Disassembly, by hydralover, 12/2009
hydralover
post Dec 21 2009, 02:48 AM
Post #1

ASF Addict

Group: Member
Member No.: 21,602

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 24 (100%)
Add Feedback for hydralover

KWA SR12 Review and Disassembly

By hydralover, 12/2009

KWA’s new SR series (SR12, SR10, and SR5) have rocked the airsoft world. With revolutionary design and stunning performance, these precision AEGs have set a new standard for other companies to match. The number denotes the length of the RIS; the SR12 has a 12 inch rail, while the SR10 and SR5 have 10inch and 5inch, respectively. The SR12 comes a full stock while both the SR10 and SR5 utilize KWA’s improved crane stock design.

At 39.5 inches, the SR10 is the exact same length as a full size m16. But don’t let the size keep you from considering it; the SR12 seems much smaller when you hold and maneuver it. With a battery and mag, the balance point is at the mag catch, right between your hands. Although heavy, the gun is a joy to hold, as well as completely solid.

Specifications:

396 3 FPS
21 RPS w/ 9.6v 3600mAh Battery
Full Metal Construction
12-inch Free-Floating RIS
20-inch Outer Barrel
509mm Inner Barrel
Flip up Front and Rear Sights
KWA 2GX Gearbox and Bucking
Full stock with large and small Tamiya connectors
300 round hicap
Average retail price: $395

Externals and Appearance

KWA has taken a huge step towards improving the external appearance of their AEGs. The new models come with new logos, unique serial numbers, new matte finish on bodies, and overall fantastic quality. The construction is solid, and feels fantastic. Examining it side-by-side to a VFC 416 lying around my room, the KWA is easily of comparable quality.

The KWA SR10 comes in a plain, unassuming, tastefully designed box sporting the KWA logo and not much more. This is a pleasant change from busy boxes with bright flashy colors and images of people and guns.

Inside there is the KWA warranty, lipo battery warning, owner’s registration card, and operator’s manual (in English!). I highly suggest reading at least the warranty, as it contains important information that is good to know. And unlike many other manuals, the KWA one is actually well thought out, and has a lot of good information that makes for a good read.

Also in the box are a couple standard items. Red barrel plug, cleaning rod, hex keys for field stripping, and a front sight adjustment tool.

The included magazine holds 300 rounds, and has no markings. Simple, clean, and gets the job done. Minimal wobble in the mag well, as appropriate.

The flash-hider is a typical birdcage, and is painted orange. It is illegal to remove this orange tip, and the procedure to do so will not be covered in this review. Do not simply screw it off, as this will damage the threading.

The outer barrel construction is rock solid (as is the rest of the gun). Lifting the SR12 up by the muzzle (which I don’t recommend), there was no wobble or loose parts. The gas block is a slightly different shade of metal (along with the front and rear sights, trigger guard, charging handle, and motor plate). These parts look extremely good.

The front sight is a flip up sight. Excellent construction, excellent appearance.

The rails have full markings, which look awesome. Top, bottom, left, and right, numbered from 1 to 27. KWA also has their own trademarks on the rail system, in a classy position and style; simple and good looking. You can also see the clockwise free-float system of the RIS.

Although my model came 100% solid, some owners have mentioned problems of the rail becoming wobbly. There’s an easy 30 second fix for this. Tighten the 8 screws around the RIS as shown in the following picture.

This post has been edited by hydralover: Aug 21 2010, 04:19 AM

--------------------
In case you're bored or interested... My stuff and my loadout
Everything you need to know about the JG AUG, G&G Combat Machine, KWA M11 NS2, KWA SR12, and KWA 1911 MKII PTP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 21 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #2

ASF Addict

One of the most noticeable external changes that KWA has made is that of the receivers. The new KWA receivers are less shiny than previous models, and boast redesigned trademarks, as well as unique serial numbers. Mine was 314, which is pretty cool considering that’s pi… 3.1415926… Anyway, these new trademarks look great, and don’t rub off easily.

The mag catch, bolt catch, selector switch, non-functional forward assist, and dust cover are all made out of a grey material. I’m not a total fan of the color, but I know some people who like it. To each their own.

Pull back the charging handle to flip open the dust cover. The charging handle has a little hook that disengages the dust cover, which is held on by a small clip. Pull the charging handle back completely to expose the hop up adjustment wheel. Turn it clockwise to increase hop up, and counter-clockwise to decrease hop-up. The hop up adjusts nicely, and stays in place once set. A nice aspect of the charging handle/bolt assembly is that the bolt actually moves with the handle, and closes completely when the charging handle is let go. I know VFC has a similar system, while CA does not. However, KWA’s design and precise manufacturing is superior in that it doesn’t get stuck like the VFC. Works every time.

The rear sight is made out of good quality metal. It’s a flip up, and has a large and a small aiming reticule. The adjustment knob does not need any tools, just use your fingers. To flip it down, pull back the hook, push the sight down, and then hook it.

Moving down the receiver, the selector switch is nice and solid. It clicks into place nicely, and feels great. No mis-selecting or flimsy feel here.

The grip seems a bit wider and more comfortable than my CA one. Good, sturdy plastic.

The trigger and trigger guard are made out of the same material and the sights, gas block, etc. I love this metal that KWA used… it looks and feels terrific. If you wish to take off the trigger guard to install a new one (I like the Knight’s one myself), you must use an undersized roll pin punch in order to knock out the pin. Otherwise, you will crack the section of the receiver around the roll pin (like I did on my CA).

Looking up the mag well, you can see the tamper-proof sticker that KWA put on the gearbox. This allows KWA to know whether or not the gearbox has been opened, which determines the validity of their offered warranty. You can also see the precision with which the lower receiver is made, and how it exactly matches both the hop up and lower gearbox.

The stock is made out of a sturdy, textured plastic. It’s extremely solid, and feels great. It is made extremely well, and meshes perfectly with both the lower receiver and the stock spacer. A large 9.6v easily fits in the stock.

To access the battery compartment, pry open the trap door at the end of the stock, and pull out the wiring. You can see the fuse casing, large connector, and small adapter. The extra adapter is a pleasant addition.

Pop open the fuse casing, and you will see the factory 15A fuse. In case something happens and the AEG stops working, IMMEDIATELY stop pulling the trigger. If you keep pulling the trigger with a locked up gearbox, the fuse will blow, as the motor will try to draw excessive current from the battery, which can damage it. The fuse is a failsafe for this occurrence, and should be checked if no sounds come from the gearbox when the trigger is pulled.

All considered, the externals of the KWA SR12 is absolutely precise. All the pieces are made to fit together exactly as they should, and the result is fantastic. Taking apart and putting back together the gun is amazingly simple, as the pieces all fit one another… unlike the VFC 416, in which the hop up contacted the upper receiver prematurely, preventing the front pin being pushed into place.

This post has been edited by hydralover: Dec 21 2009, 06:54 AM

--------------------
Everything you need to know about the JG AUG, G&G Combat Machine, KWA M11 NS2, KWA SR12, and KWA 1911 MKII PTP

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 21 2009, 06:37 AM
Post #3

ASF Addict

Internals and Disassembly

As great as the externals are, they pale in comparison to KWA’s newly revamped gearbox and hop up design. The KWA 2GX gearbox boasts a number of improvements over both its previous models and other competitors’, and the innovative 2GX bucking provides better range and more consistency in shots. Like the outside, the inside of the KWA SR12 is made with extreme precision, as will be shown in the following section.

Let’s get started. Here’s the gun as it stands (I couldn’t help but put on a couple accessories – too excited about the gun…)

Locate the rear body pin (above and to the right of the selector switch). The front body pin can be removed, but is not necessary for this disassembly. Use TWO hex keys of the proper size (included in the box) to remove the rear pin, one on each side. You need to hold both sides, otherwise the pin will keep slipping and you will be turning forever. Punch out the pin.

Grab the upper receiver and push upwards. Note that the piston must be in the forward position to allow you to do this, but otherwise, don’t be afraid to use some force.

(I do not recommend leaving the upper receiver in this position, as it may bend and warp)

Flip the upper receiver up. You can see the upper section of the hop up. Everything in this area is made with the upmost precision. The hop up inserts perfectly into the outer barrel/upper receiver, and has no wobble. The lower section is solid as well. All the pieces fit snugly with one another, which aids good compression and accounts for KWA’s amazing shot consistency.

If you wish, you can remove the front pin and pull off the upper receiver to keep it out of your way. Remove the hex screw (only one side this time), and punch out the pin. The upper and lower receivers are made with such precision that they actually stay together without a pin; I had a rather difficult time separating the two. You can see how the interlocking holes are scratched from separation.

Pull the hop up chamber straight out to remove the inner barrel as well. Be careful at this step, as you do not want the inner barrel hitting everything. The KWA inner barrel is made of polished brass, and is precision cut to a 6.05mm inner diameter and 509mm long. Don’t let the barrel’s outward appearance bother you; polishing the outside means nothing. The KWA barrel is well-crowned, which is important in accuracy by reducing turbulence. Whenever a barrel is cut, a good crown is essential in removing burrs and slight imperfections in the barrel tip that will throw off accuracy as the BB exits the barrel.

Here is the new 2GX bucking, with its revolutionary design improving range, accuracy, and consistency. You can see how the little arms would grab at the BB as it flies by.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 21 2009, 06:37 AM
Post #4

ASF Addict

Hop up Disassembly

This subsection will cover how to disassemble your hop up and properly clean your barrel. Maintaining a clean barrel is important in getting consistent performance, as dust and particles build up in the barrel over time.

Here is the hop up chamber:

Remove the screw holding in the main gear, and pull it off.

Pry the retaining clip off of the second gear, and pull that off as well. Be careful not to bend the clip; get a thin flathead to work it loose, then use needlenose pliers or thin tweezers to remove it.

The last gear has the clip on the opposite side. Pry this off as well, and pull out the gear. Be sure to maintain slight down pressure on the hop up arm as you remove the last gear, as the arm is spring-loaded and you don’t want any surprises.

Take off the rear pin, and take out the control arm. The nub and spring should come out as well. For this step, you might want to flip the chamber open and let gravity work for you, not against you. If the nub does not come out with the arm, you need to remove it from the hop up chamber.

Carefully pry off the barrel retaining clip. Be careful, as these have been commonly known to break in hop up chambers of this style.

Use a thin tool to push out the barrel ring. You can see how I half-removed it for the purpose of the picture. Once loose, slide it down the barrel and off.

Carefully! pull off the barrel and bucking. Be sure not to catch the bucking on the area of the chamber where the metal ring was, as the bucking may rip. Wiggling and rotating the barrel should help. Once loose, pull off the bucking. You can see how the barrel and bucking have matching slits to ensure proper contact.

To clean your barrel, get a lint-free cloth. Cut it into small square about 1” by 0.5”, and stick it through the cleaning rod. Spray it with a small amount of silicone oil, and stick the opposite end through the barrel. Slowly pull the rod through, twisting as you go. Repeat 3-4 times with fresh pieces, until the cloth comes out clean. Note that the first couple shots may go awry, as the fresh layer of silicone oil may throw off accuracy.

This post has been edited by hydralover: Dec 21 2009, 06:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 21 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #5

ASF Addict

Internals and Disassembly (cont.)

Now that the upper receiver has been separated, take a look at the butt of the stock. Unscrew the lower screw (note that the sling mount will come out), and then pull the butt cap down and out. The upper portion of the butt cap has a hook that prevents the piece from being pulled straight out.

Look at the inside of the stock and locate the screw and washer at the top. You will need a screwdriver at least 8 inches long to access this screw. Remove it, then carefully pull the stock out a tad. Do not yank the stock off, or the wires may come out of the tamiya connectors. Disconnect the tamiya connectors, then carefully pull the entire stock off.

Here is the rear wiring section. The wiring is of high quality, and well made. No troubles getting it back in the stock; it goes where you want it to.

The stock spacer fits exactly on the lower receiver. There is actually a slight raised area of the lower receiver that keeps the spacer in place. Excellently made, and extremely precise. You don’t have to worry about the spacer falling off since it fits so snugly.

Flip the lower receiver over and locate the mag catch. Use a small hex key to remove the mag catch. Be aware that the mag catch will fall out from the bottom once the screw is removed. The mag catch is composed of the button, the screw, a spring, and the catch itself.

As on previous KWA models, the trigger pin is a pain to get out. Since one side of it is ridged, the pin can only be removed by pounding it out from the left side. Use a properly sized punch tool and a hammer. The rubber mallet I have didn’t work; I had to use a metal one.

Look at the bottom of the grip. You will see two Phillips screws, and a flathead. Remove the two Phillips, keeping pressure on the motor plate. The motor is spring loaded, but you don’t want the motor plate to come off just yet. Set the two screws aside, and turn the remaining parts of the gun upright, as if you were about to shoot it. Keep pressure on the motor plate. Carefully relieve pressure, allowing the motor plate to be pushed out by the motor. You will see a little silver washer on the motor plate, which is very important in maintaining motor height. If you remove the motor plate without flipping the gun over, the washer may fall into the grip and stick to the magnetic motor (which isn’t a problem when doing a full disassembly, but could cause slight headaches in other situations). The grip has threaded brass inserts, which is a major improvement over the previously used self tapping screws into plastic.

Carefully disconnect the motor wires, then pull out the motor. The spring will come out as well. The stock KWA motor is an excellent compromise of torque and speed; I do not plan on replacing it with another one.

The actual grip itself has reinforcement as well. This extra material helps the grip stay flush with the gearbox shell, and prevents wobble which can lead to improper meshing and premature wear on both the pinion and bevel gears.

Look down into the grip. These two screws need to be removed. From the factory, this isn’t difficult. However, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THESE SCREWS when reassembling. They have ridges that are designed to lock the screws in place, and will be very difficult to remove. I stripped the heads of the screws when disassembling for the second time, and with the help of Suzaku, had to tap them out and replace them with my own. It’s a good design, but like most things, you should be aware of what is going on when taking apart airsoft guns. Do not mind the yellow electrical tape; that was my error in disassembly.

This post has been edited by hydralover: Apr 10 2010, 05:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydralover
Post #6

ASF Addict

Now that the gearbox is free, unscrew the lower section of the hop up. Lift up the front end and remove the lower hop up assembly. Set it aside, put the selector switch between safe and semi, then pull the gearbox up from the rear end, as shown in the picture. From here, simply pull the gearbox up and out, taking care not to snag either the motor connectors or rear wiring.

Here is the KWA gearbox. It is made out of high quality metal, and you can see some of the extra reinforcement that KWA has added. It is noteworthy that the new 2GX gearbox has a lot of extra reinforcement in the front to prevent cracking. However, this added material prevents the gearbox from fitting in any sliding receiver; only swiveling designs will work. Not a big deal for me, since the impeccably manufactured KWA externals are more than good enough.

KWA utilizes 9mm ball bearings on all 3 gears. These are true ball bearings, and of extremely high quality. They sit flush on the gearbox shell, and spin freely.

The front of the gearbox, as mentioned earlier, has a lot more material. Both sides have reinforcement, and KWA also removed the sharp 90 degree angle of the front end. Instead, the sloping design reduces weak points in the shell’s structural integrity. There is also reinforcement at the bottom, with another layer added to part of the shell. The top of the gearbox has been reinforced as well, with extra material added to make the front end about twice as thick. You can also see KWA’s usual 5th screw.

The rear end of the gearbox has a bit of extra material added as well, behind the spring guide.

Removing the Torx and Phillips screws, I noticed that KWA uses wood screws, instead of the usual machine screws. Wood screws are more durable, and stay in place better. The button screws all have washers to evenly distribute pressure on the gearbox. When reassembling any gearbox, note that mistorquing/unevenly tightening the screws can and will cause the metal to flex, causing weak points that may crack under the right circumstances. Just something to keep in mind when doing your own gearbox work.

Taking apart the gearbox, everything inside is nice and dandy. No overgreasing or disgusting slob everywhere. Parts that don’t need grease don’t have it.

As Golgo13 mentioned in his review of the SR10 found here, the front of the gearbox has zippered halves, which distribute front impact through more area of the gearbox. The standard flat gearbox rely more heavily upon the screws to keep the gearbox shells together; the new KWA design is more durable. There is also more reinforcement added at the inside of the top of the gearbox shell.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydralover
Post #7

ASF Addict

The KWA gearbox is precisely precise. The cylinder head and cylinder fit perfectly into their proper areas, with absolutely no wobble.

Unlike other v.2 gearboxes, the KWA gearbox utilizes a v.3 spring guide. This aids in distributing pressure over a larger area in the gearbox. Also, the spring guide has washers rather than ball bearings. Washers distribute pressure over a larger area, and these washers are of very high quality. They rotated very easily, which is a plus in relieving spring tension, which can lead to a snapped spring. High quality, excellent construction, no complaints.

The 400 FPS spring is of irregular pitch, and is very consistent. Not much to say here…

The KWA piston is renowned for its strength. It has KWA’s standard extra reinforcement around the
first and second teeth.

The piston head is metal. Many people have the misconception that a metal piston head is wrong, without knowing why or having valid reasoning for their belief. The truth is that a metal piston head in and of itself is perfectly fine. Problems arise when a metal piston head is used in combination with a metal cylinder head; metal on metal contact is not recommended, and increases the impact the gearbox shell must endure relative to other setups, since neither the piston head nor cylinder head absorb much impact. Good thing the KWA cylinder head is polycarb…

Anyway, the KWA piston head is well made, and seals fantastically with the cylinder. It screws in from inside the piston, and has washers similar to the spring guide. The screw is loctited in, and once removed, I highly recommend using loctite when reassembling. The piston head and piston have a matching nub and hole to ensure that the piston head does not rotate, keeping it steady and preventing loose screws.

The tappet plate is made out of extremely strong material. I would use this tappet plate over the Guarder one I had lying around, which doesn’t seem as durable. The hook has a bit of extra reinforcement on it, and the spring is nice and thick.

The air nozzle is beefy. It has KWA’s usual slit to line up with the matching slit in the hop up, as well as a flat top to prevent rotation of the air nozzle. The tip has the usual flanges to allow air to flow into the cylinder as the piston is being drawn back. You can see how the air nozzle and tappet plate have matching slits to ensure good contact.

The air nozzle and tappet plate fit together perfectly, unlike the VFC air nozzle and Guarder tappet plate… The following picture is of the VFC air nozzle and tappet plate. You can see how there is a gap between the two pieces, and they don't mesh well. The KWA tappet plate and air nozzle, on the other hand, mesh perfectly, as shown in the previous pictures.

The cylinder head is a nice polycarb, and has a layer of KWA’s own shock absorption pad. Nice. The cylinder head only has one o-ring, but it seals perfectly with the ported brass cylinder. The head also locks in solidly with the gearbox shell.

About the air seal in the KWA gearbox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGyaB_VfUA4

This post has been edited by hydralover: Jun 28 2010, 05:07 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydralover
Post #8

ASF Addict

KWA’s gears and anti-reversal latch are all heat treated, and extremely durable. The anti-reversal latch is beefy and curved to better accommodate the spring. The bevel gear is slanted outwards, which increases surface area and helps it mesh better with the pinion gear. The sector gear comes stock with a sector clip, which prevents misfeeding, and the spur gear has the side of the teeth slightly shaved off, which also improves tooth meshing and gearbox cycling. The design on these gears greatly improves the efficiency of the gearbox, and account for KWA’s smooth cycling. In addition, KWA gears are precision cut, which means that they are made with such high accuracy that shims are not needed; the gears mesh perfectly with one another straight from the factory. I was a bit skeptical of this at first, but it is true.

You can see how the bevel gear slants outward as compared to a VFC gear:

The sector gear is extra beefy, with a full 1mm of teeth more than other gears (VFC in this picture).

The trigger has extra material added to it to ensure solid contact with the trigger block.

The trigger prongs are copper plated, and the trigger block is well constructed as well.

The cut off lever is extra beefy, and the trigger pin is sturdy as well. Due to complaints of the trigger pin being knocked off as a result of the trigger block smacking against it each trigger pull, the new pin is bigger and utilizes sloped edges where it contacts the gearbox shell to eliminate 90 degree angles. I highly doubt there will be any problems with this trigger pin. The trigger spring is glued onto its post, which eliminates any possibility of it coming loose inside the gearbox, which is a potentially annoying problem. The trigger assembly has an extra post, which helps it stay in place over time. The screw holding the trigger assembly down is MUCH bigger than that of other gearboxes. If the trigger assembly becomes warped over time, the semi-auto function may not work, as the cut-off lever can no longer contact the trigger block. This happened in my buddy's 416.

The trigger safety is bigger as well. The trigger wires are well soldered. Everything in the gearbox bespeaks of high quality control and extreme precision.

Going outside of the gearbox, on the left side there is a KWA logo stamped into the shell. Like all of KWA’s other markings, this trademark is tastefully located and good looking in a subtle way. The selector plate is of solid material.

And here’s the gearbox all put together. Well behaved little thing…

I realize the trigger isn’t in, so that’s why you watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zGdHdNi25k

KWA has put much thought and engineering into this gearbox, and it really shows. The new 2GX gearbox blows its competition out of the water with KWA’s attention to every aspect of the gearbox. You may have noticed how many times I’ve used the words precise, matching, or perfect, and the 2GX gearbox really deserves those labels. But the make and production of the AEG are not the only aspects of an airsoft gun…

This post has been edited by hydralover: Dec 21 2009, 06:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydralover
Post #9

ASF Addict

Performance

The KWA SR12 chronoed at 396 3 FPS using .20s, and 359 2 FPS using .25s. Many times, the chrono results were exactly the same as the previous shot, showcasing KWA’s extreme consistency and high performance. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the chrono results.

Using a 9.6v 3600mAh NiMH battery from No Limit Airsoft, the gearbox cycled at 21 RPS. I don’t use lipos simply because I don’t find a reason or need to.

As for accuracy…

I did these tests lying prone, without the aid of optics. Distance was 80 feet, with slight gusts. BB King .30s were used and recommended.

20 rounds, measured semi. 5.75" groupings. Note that I could not find 20 distinct holes to draw circles around...

20 rounds, quick semi. 6.75" groupings.

17 rounds, full auto. 7.75" groupings.

25 rounds, full auto. 6.5" groupings.

These results are absolutely stellar; you can’t argue with these kinds of groupings. I’m not the best shooter in the world, I was unaided by any sort of optic device, and there was some wind blowing. There is a tree 115 feet from my shooting point (I live on a hill, and the tree is down my backyard), and I could nail the upper branches every shot. I’d say groupings of around 8-9 inches. The BBs then went on and on and on…

I will be using this gun the coming Saturday, so I’ll report back after that. We’ll see how it performs against heavily upgraded AEGs.

Conclusion

The KWA SR12 is a highly precise, finely tuned instrument of plastic death. Every minute detail has been considered and examined by KWA’s engineers, and the result is an AEG of extremely high quality. From the flash-hider to the stock, from the body pins to the gears, the SR12 is exact in that it has been entirely assembled with extreme precision. The externals are rock solid and pleasing to the eye, while the internals are extra beefy and can withstand extreme abuse. To top it all off, the SR12 boasts outstanding performance in accuracy, range, and rate of fire. KWA’s new line of products are truly a new standard for future AEGs. I’m honestly wondering how they are going to improve upon this model, and am eagerly anticipating their next releases. KWA’s coming years will truly bring the airsoft market to new heights by producing replicas of extremely high quality at competitive prices.

This post has been edited by hydralover: Dec 21 2009, 06:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SuperSanta911
post Dec 21 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #10

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 44,391
SOA Name: SuperSanta911

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 0 (0%)
Add Feedback for SuperSanta911

This is an absolutely brilliant review.

Everything I needed to know about the SR12.

One question, do you have a measurement of exactly how heavy the rifle is? Im just curious.

--------------------
USMC- ITS WHERE ITS AT.

KWA SR10
WTT/WTS CA SCAR/GOOD SHTUFF CLICK ME
GA Airsofter

+Quote Post
Gcommando36
post Dec 21 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #11

DCU is sexy

Group: member needs to prove email
Member No.: 49,611

My Temperament:6, 1, 5, 12
Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 15 (100%)
Add Feedback for Gcommando36

This is by far one of the best reviews I have ever seen. You have us all a good look at the externals and internals, and you didn't even bore use with"real steel history".

Great job, and keep up the good work. a-thumbsup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Knightman
post Dec 21 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #12

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 50,340

Add Feedback for Knightman

dang... that was a long review

--------------------

Thanks to Koper the Sig Beast. If you want an awesome sig he's the guy to go to.

+Quote Post
Explosive aka X
post Dec 21 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #13

ASF Citizen

Group: Elite
Member No.: 43,451
SOA Name: Xray51

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 10 (100%)
Add Feedback for Explosive aka X

QUOTE (SuperSanta911 @ Dec 21 2009, 11:00 AM) *

One question, do you have a measurement of exactly how heavy the rifle is? Im just curious.

I handled a SR12 the other weekend out at a playing field. It was surprisingly lightweight.
Seemed much lighter than my G&P SR16.

I just got my SR10 in the other day. Haven't had much of a chance to mess with it. Looking forward to the first game with it!
Finally a gun I don't have to make a long list of upgrades parts to make it work better.

One more thing. A player I know installed a 455mm Madbull barrel into his SR10 and it appeared to improve the accuracy over the stock barrel by a little.
His SR10 shot better than the SR12, but I can not comment on the condition of the SR12's barrel and hopup (clean and how the hop up was set).
There was a slight curve in the SR12's shot and the SR10 was straight and highly accurate. Makes me believe an issue with barrel being clean, and or hop-up settings.

That being said, the stock barrel when clean is a nice shooting barrel and really no need for upgrading.

I'm still shocked how surprisingly light weight the SR12 is for being a M16 type rifle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 21 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #14

ASF Addict

QUOTE (SuperSanta911 @ Dec 21 2009, 08:00 AM) *

Thanks man.

I forgot to bring my scale home, but I'd estimate around 6-7 pounds with the battery in. Definitely lighter than my CA CQB SEAL, which was 7.2 pounds... Funny, a full size m16 rifle is lighter than my shorty little CQB.

QUOTE (Explosive aka X @ Dec 21 2009, 10:58 AM) *
I handled a SR12 the other weekend out at a playing field. It was surprisingly lightweight.
Seemed much lighter than my G&P SR16.

I'm still shocked how surprisingly light weight the SR12 is for being a M16 type rifle.

Aye. A buddy of mine came over to check it out, and when he picked it up, he had this weird look on his face. Then he asked me, "Is this the same size as an m16?" The SR12 is pretty deceiving, and doesn't seem as long as it really is. For its length, it's not unwieldy at all.

This post has been edited by hydralover: Dec 21 2009, 02:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
eckoman11
post Dec 21 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #15

Public Enemy #1

Group: user_has_broken_email
Member No.: 48,640
SOA Name: eckoman11

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 2 (100%)
Add Feedback for eckoman11

Wow, that was a really good review. I don't think there is really anything else I need to know about the gun, because you pretty much covered eveything. Overall, just an awesome review.

Also, I like you little shots at The Vainguard by comparing it with a VFC 416. Very subtle.

--------------------
Hiatus over.

Motor Comparison

+Quote Post
GoLgo 13
post Dec 21 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #16

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 33,075

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 1 (100%)
Add Feedback for GoLgo 13

Good review Hydra! a-thumbsup.gif Couldn't have done better myself=)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat My M4
post Dec 21 2009, 05:15 PM
Post #17

Speed. Surprise. Violence of Action.

Group: Moderator Level 2
Member No.: 44,888

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 21 (100%)
Add Feedback for Eat My M4

Hydra your review is simply amazing. I award you 1 internets. And thanks for convincing me to buy a new kwa!

--------------------

Long Island, New York. Task Force 495 Member. Cousins Airsoft "Raider"

+Quote Post
Gcommando36
post Dec 21 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #18

DCU is sexy

QUOTE (hydralover @ Dec 21 2009, 02:08 PM) *
Funny, a full size m16 rifle is lighter than my shorty little CQB.

The CA could be made of pot metal, which is heavier.

By the way, once again great review. My only suggestion is not to make it TOO long and pic-heavy. Other than that, amazing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 21 2009, 06:28 PM
Post #19

ASF Addict

QUOTE (GoLgo 13 @ Dec 21 2009, 12:29 PM) *
Good review Hydra! a-thumbsup.gif Couldn't have done better myself=)

Haha sure you could. I wish I had a nice camera and tracer BBs...

QUOTE (Gcommando36 @ Dec 21 2009, 02:18 PM) *
By the way, once again great review. My only suggestion is not to make it TOO long and pic-heavy. Other than that, amazing.

Heh, trying to make it comprehensive...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cornington
post Dec 21 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #20

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 45,533

My Temperament:Melancholy
Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 1 (100%)
Add Feedback for Cornington

Absolutely fantastic review. I have an SR12 (Serial Number 9800192) and this review covers every single aspect and more that involve this gun. I get jittery when I put my scope on it and just stare, open-mouthed, in awe of the craftsmanship put into every individual part of this gun.

If you have any sense at all you will get a new KWA, no exceptions.

--------------------
"Dear Mr. Police, you can call me God." - John Muhammad, The Washington/Beltway Sniper

I am currently president of The Cheif's Airsoft Platoon, the University of Illinois' official student organization for airsoft. If you are or will be attending UIUC in the future and have any questions regarding the club, please feel free to message me.

Replicas currently owned:

KWA SR12
KWA USP .45 Tactical
Ares SL9 <- discontinued model :)
TM AUG A2
Why are all my guns getting discontinued? =\
QUOTE (namloot @ Jan 26 2010, 08:31 PM) *
I don't hate you, however it is my opinion your comments on the AEGs are balderdash.

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 22 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #21

ASF Addict

QUOTE (Cornington @ Dec 21 2009, 06:19 PM) *
Absolutely fantastic review. I have an SR12 (Serial Number 9800192) and this review covers every single aspect and more that involve this gun. I get jittery when I put my scope on it and just stare, open-mouthed, in awe of the craftsmanship put into every individual part of this gun.

Aye, that's how I feel. I've never seen a gun put together as well as this one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explosive aka X
post Dec 22 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #22

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 43,451
SOA Name: Xray51

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 10 (100%)
Add Feedback for Explosive aka X

QUOTE (hydralover @ Dec 22 2009, 02:10 PM) *
Aye, that's how I feel. I've never seen a gun put together as well as this one.

I love my SR10 (nearly the same thing, same quality)!

--------------------

+Quote Post
RunnerGunner
post Dec 22 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #23

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 52,205

Add Feedback for RunnerGunner

beefy

+Quote Post
DrumMXer404
post Dec 23 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #24

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 53,073

Add Feedback for DrumMXer404

Really good review. I'll be opening mine up Friday.

--------------------

Thanks to KOPER for the sig

+Quote Post
Simley
post Dec 23 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #25

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 48,487

Add Feedback for Simley

I just bought my SR-12 yesterday, haven't let it out of my sights for a moment! matrix.gif
THIS IS A REVIEW! Thanks for the body pin advice.

--------------------

Death is inevitable, the question is, are you going out with a bang?

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 27 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #26

ASF Addict

Played with the gun yesterday, and it was shooting great. Some people commented on the range I got using BBKing .30s, and a couple guys asked if they could check it out. When they gave it back, they said, "That's going to be my next gun."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dethman
post Dec 27 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #27

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 21,485

Add Feedback for Dethman

Excellent review and perfect timing. I've been looking for a replacement for my aging Tokyo Marui SR16. I'm mainly a AK47 man(love my CA SLR105) but this aeg really caught my eye. I always use/buy large battery aegs so the full stock is a must. This thing seems to be built like a tank. My fiancee is giving me $200 for Christmas toward a new aeg. I thought about the JG 416 full stock but then I thought about going for something I wouldn't normally get all on my own like this KWA. You just made my decision to spend twice as much money easy. :)

P.S. Would there be any problem putting my SR16 carry handle on the SR12 and having it line up with the front sight like it should?

--------------------
Dethman
Team Leader of the South Georgia Airsoft Team
www.southgeorgiaairsoft.com

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 27 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #28

ASF Addict

Haha, awesome. You won't be disappointed. This thing certainly is a beast. I'm planning on dropping in a 500+ FPS spring, so we'll see how the internals handle that.

Shouldn't have any issues with the carry handle. The front flip sight looks exactly like a regular triangle sight from the back. From Golgo13's review of the SR10, which has the same sights...

Look familiar?

You would have to remove the rear flip up sight, though. No big.

This post has been edited by hydralover: Dec 27 2009, 11:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
stickydude1
post Dec 28 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #29

I put the "sensual" in "non-consensual"
Group Icon

Group: Authorized Seller Free
Member No.: 50,974
SOA Name: stickydude1

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 5 (100%)
Add Feedback for stickydude1

wow! a, nice, thorough review! great job!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ion
post Dec 28 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #30

Classics FTW

Member No.: 36,930

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 4 (100%)
Add Feedback for Ion

Quite the nice review. Its not illegal to remove orange tips though. Its a false sense of security anyway. Haha.

Man, I really wish KWA would use RS trades. Got to get some KAC trades on the RAS and reciever. :p But that logo looks so much better than it used to. KWA has come a long way from their first AEG model.

--------------------

Props to Onikozah for the sig.
[A&K SR-25 Review] [JG M16A2 Review] [SRC G36c Vs. JG G36c Review]
[ComradeMP] 5:08 pm: your such a nub, I put you in my gun and gave me teh gud hop up

+Quote Post
Gcommando36
post Dec 28 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #31

DCU is sexy

QUOTE (Ion @ Dec 28 2009, 03:29 PM) *
Its not illegal to remove orange tips though. Its a false sense of security anyway. Haha.

Where you live it might now be, but in CA it is. I remember a thread from a while ago about a guy who got in trouble for having a black tip in CA.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vgamedude
post Dec 28 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #32

FURRY

Member No.: 50,979

Add Feedback for vgamedude

Good review Hydra.

Also I don't know if anyone cares but my Safety stopped working on my KWA M4 RIS after only 3 days of having it. Your safety still works hydra?

My bolt had some weird problem with it too, and some piece on top of the bolt on the inside of the gun (small rectangle piece of metal with 4 holes in it) fell out and I superglued it back in and but my bolt back in the inside of the gun (it got warped and bent so I had to bend it back in shape too).

I don't know why mine had these little problems with it. I still love it though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maruipro
post Dec 28 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #33

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 43,372

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 6 (100%)
Add Feedback for maruipro

QUOTE (hydralover @ Dec 27 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Played with the gun yesterday, and it was shooting great. Some people commented on the range I got using BBKing .30s, and a couple guys asked if they could check it out. When they gave it back, they said, "That's going to be my next gun."

Great... more heat seeking rocket launchers on the field a-laugh.gif

--------------------
Herrozz!

+Quote Post
Allizard
post Dec 29 2009, 02:37 AM
Post #34

Der Weiner Meister

Member No.: 16,301

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 29 (100%)
Add Feedback for Allizard

QUOTE (maruipro @ Dec 28 2009, 04:30 PM) *
Great... more heat seeking rocket launchers on the field a-laugh.gif

If they are not firing AT you. You have nothing to worry about.

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 29 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #35

ASF Addict

QUOTE (Ion @ Dec 28 2009, 12:29 PM) *
Quite the nice review. Its not illegal to remove orange tips though. Its a false sense of security anyway. Haha.

It's definitely illegal, and it's not really a sense of security at all. Orange tip or no, doesn't make a difference to cops. They'll treat it like a firearm regardless.

QUOTE (vgamedude @ Dec 28 2009, 03:33 PM) *
Also I don't know if anyone cares but my Safety stopped working on my KWA M4 RIS after only 3 days of having it. Your safety still works hydra?

My bolt had some weird problem with it too, and some piece on top of the bolt on the inside of the gun (small rectangle piece of metal with 4 holes in it) fell out and I superglued it back in and but my bolt back in the inside of the gun (it got warped and bent so I had to bend it back in shape too).

I don't know why mine had these little problems with it. I still love it though.

If it's truly a problem with the gun from the factory, turn it in for the warranty. However, your issues may be the result of user error.

This post has been edited by hydralover: Dec 29 2009, 02:41 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RunnerGunner
post Dec 29 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #36

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 52,205

Add Feedback for RunnerGunner

QUOTE (vgamedude @ Dec 28 2009, 06:33 PM) *
Good review Hydra.

You had a 14 day warrantee. Not anymore -_-

+Quote Post
maruipro
post Dec 29 2009, 03:59 AM
Post #37

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 43,372

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 6 (100%)
Add Feedback for maruipro

QUOTE (Allizard @ Dec 28 2009, 11:37 PM) *
If they are not firing AT you. You have nothing to worry about.

Haha, luckly norm was on our side that day at the field.

--------------------
Herrozz!

+Quote Post
Ion
post Dec 29 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #38

Classics FTW

Member No.: 36,930

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 4 (100%)
Add Feedback for Ion

QUOTE (hydralover @ Dec 28 2009, 11:41 PM) *
It's definitely illegal, and it's not really a sense of security at all. Orange tip or no, doesn't make a difference to cops. They'll treat it like a firearm regardless.

Hence the reason I said its a false sense of security.

Well if its illegal, then the cops that play at our field are breaking the law too? They don't care. Its for shipping purposes its not illegal to take off the orange tip. Look it up.

For sales and transportation orange tips are REQUIRED.

The most recent 'ruling' is that Orange tips are not required for possession, but any commercial sale (esp from a regular retailer) and during transportation there must be an Orange tip present.

Taken from Police world.net > ask a cop Thread can be found here.

--------------------

Props to Onikozah for the sig.
[A&K SR-25 Review] [JG M16A2 Review] [SRC G36c Vs. JG G36c Review]
[ComradeMP] 5:08 pm: your such a nub, I put you in my gun and gave me teh gud hop up

+Quote Post
vgamedude
post Dec 29 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #39

FURRY

Member No.: 50,979

Add Feedback for vgamedude

QUOTE (RunnerGunner @ Dec 29 2009, 02:41 AM) *
You had a 14 day warrantee. Not anymore -_-

Umm no. You have a 45 day warranty and I am contacting KWA as of now to get it repaired. Very quick response to my E-mail aswell might I add.

Also Hydra I am for certain it wasn't user error. I have all but babied the gun since I got it and I have only been using it for 4 days. But it seems that KWA will indeed repair this one and I'm still glad I chose KWA, their communication right now is very good, and I'll see how long it takes for them to repair. But so far so good. Just gotta wait for the woman at CS to get back my RMA number. I just sent my info out like 5 minutes ago lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hydralover
post Dec 30 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #40

ASF Addict

Aye, KWA's customer service is really a step up from the competition. Their staff is friendly and helpful, and you don't have to deal with the usual nonsense and apathy that other companies/retailers greet you with.

--------------------

+Quote Post

to add your banner to our network, click here
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Armory Tech Airsoft FoxAirsoft.com AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com ACMGear.com
AsiaAirsoft.com YZH.hkm TrinityAirsoft.com AirsoftRC.com eHobby Asia Vote for us
to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you enjoy using this website, please please support us financially with a small donation or upgrade your account. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend about us and share us on your favorite social networking website.

content copyright AirsoftForum.com 2003-2013 an Airsoft Forum, Airsoft Chat Room, Airsoft Auctions, Airsoft Reviews, and Airsoft Classified Ads Community
Get your discount from Armory Tech Airsoft
Get airsoft guns and more with award winning customer service at Trinity Airsoft
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
Professional Airsoft Solutions
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3