Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

airsoft forum and discussion board

to add your 468x60 banner, pay ad zone 1
Click Here for the Advanced ASF Search Tool
website template selector
Bookmark and Share

to place your ad here in Zone 3, click here

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Version 1 Gearbox Walkthrough, It's finally here!
D0096F
post Oct 4 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #1

ASF Citizen

Group: Member
Member No.: 29,576

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 0 (0%)
Add Feedback for D0096F

It's finally here! Over a decade since it's first release and still no literature on disassembly? Well, the wait is up. I give you the long promised, though hardly anticipated, version 1 gearbox guide!

The version 1 gearbox is the first AEG gearbox ever released. Almost exclusive to the Tokyo Marui FA-MAS, the version 1 gearbox is an antique, though NOT a pushover. In my opinion it is the easiest gearbox to work on and a great platform for a beginning airsmith to start on.

I assume you can get the gearbox out yourself, so I'll skip the FA-MAS disassembly and move straight to the gearbox guide. (FA-MAS disassembly can be found here: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...7&hl=carson)

Takedown

The version 1 gearbox is a bulky beast, designed for the FA-MAS the engineers had plenty of room to play around with.

Newer models of the TM FA-MAS come with a "high torque" version of the eg560 which was a weak motor to begin with. The new motor can pull an M120 (albeit with a lower rof) and I've been told it can pull upwards of an M140 (with a larger battery) BUT a custom machined anti-reversal latch will be required and it'd be a good idea to rewire.

To begin dissembly of the gearbox you must first remove the motor tabs on either side of the motor. First you must unbend the metal tab located in the notch on the left side of the back of the gearbox shell.

Then you simply pull out both tabs with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Once the tabs are out, remove all the screws holding the two halves together. You will need a torque screw driver.

This post has been edited by D0096F: Oct 5 2008, 12:55 AM

--------------------
BR55 Project (WIP) l TM FA-MAS SV review l Version 1 Gearbox Guide

AEG and sniper rifle repairs, mods and upgrades: $20 base service fee PM me for additional details.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D0096F
post Oct 4 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #2

ASF Citizen

Add Feedback for D0096F

Next, slide a flat head screwdriver in between the two halves of the shell to hold down the spring. Once you've got the spring pinned pull the top half (right half) of the bottom half (left half) of the shell.

You're now inside the gearbox, it should look like this:

Now to acquaint you with the parts...and some upgrades!

The first piece is the spring guide. It is suspended above the side of the shell by slipping into a notch in a protruding piece of metal, like so...

The stock spring guide is made of plastic and is fairly flimsy in my opinion.

--------------------

AEG and sniper rifle repairs, mods and upgrades: $20 base service fee PM me for additional details.

+Quote Post
D0096F
post Oct 4 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #3

ASF Citizen

Add Feedback for D0096F

It can be replaced with a v3 spring guide, with a (mm) bolt screwed into the back and lock-tited into place in the spring guide. You now have a metal one identical to the design of the plastic one. It can be slipped in and out of that notch for upgrades, repairs, etc.

Next is the piston, the head pictured is NOT the original head, but the body is the same. To remove the original head I had to drill out the screw in the middle of the front of the piston head hidden under the plastic. Any normal piston head can replace the stock one.

This is the cylinder and cylinder head, it is a type 0 sized cylinder.

Next is the tappet plate and air nozzle. I have not had to change mine, but I don't think that they are interchangeable with others (not positive on this one), so keep these parts safe!

These are the gears. They are high speed gears and are a little brittle, they can be replaced by any normal set of gears. Make sure to shim the gears just like a normal gearbox.

This is the anti-reversal latch. It is 100% unique to this gearbox and is impossible to find a replacement for. Do NOT lose this piece. In high fps set-ups (400fps+) this piece will not function properly, you'll have to machine yourself a replacement one.

If you look closer at the picture you can see the bushings (little round things where the gear axles fit in). The best bushings to replace the nylon ones with are echo1 metal bushings (fit better than others because they are slightly smaller). If they're a tight fit you can freeze them overnight and use a piece of wood and a mallet to hammer them in.

Lastly we have the trigger mechanism, to make contact, you simply pull forward on the shaft. This part is also unique to the version 1 gearbox.

To reassemble the gearbox just repeat the steps above in reverse.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OpSic66
post Oct 4 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #4

كافر Extraordinaire

Member No.: 18,141

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 3 (100%)
Add Feedback for OpSic66

Awesome!

I would love to move this right away, but I want it to get some clicks on it first.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BushmanSniper
post Oct 5 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #5

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 40,858

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 6 (100%)
Add Feedback for BushmanSniper

WOW....havent seen one of these in a very long time...nice breakdown---nominated for pin

--------------------
>INSERT AN APPROPRIATE SIGNATURE HERE< P.S........use your imaginations people lulz

+Quote Post
Doctor Kajita
post Oct 5 2008, 01:42 AM
Post #6

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 39,604

Add Feedback for Doctor Kajita

Great job, thanks for posting.

--------------------
-No Signature

+Quote Post
NGOB
post Oct 5 2008, 07:13 AM
Post #7

The New Guy on the Block isn't so new anymore...

Group: Forum Administrator
Member No.: 14,607

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 11 (100%)
Add Feedback for NGOB

Great job! We'll get some moderators to approve your guide, and then we'll pin this guide up for everyone to use. Again, great job with the walkthrough!

--------------------

+Quote Post
KhaosAwakened
post Oct 5 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #8

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 26,296

Add Feedback for KhaosAwakened

how many motors have they made for this version box? It doesnt look like it would take a long, medium or a short type.

--------------------

+Quote Post
D0096F
post Oct 5 2008, 06:15 PM
Post #9

ASF Citizen

Add Feedback for D0096F

QUOTE (KhaosAwakened @ Oct 5 2008, 01:55 PM) *
how many motors have they made for this version box? It doesnt look like it would take a long, medium or a short type.

The only motor that this box can take is the eg560 unless you heavily modify the shell and add some L brackets to take a short style motor (which someone on arnies actually did)

--------------------

+Quote Post
gumbum8
post Oct 29 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #10

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 42,170

Add Feedback for gumbum8

Awesome guide props to ya a-thumbsup.gif
...Just wondering, where can you even get v.1 gearboxes though? and if you got it, what could you really use it for?

--------------------
...If I see a picture of your gun...
I might compliment ur carpet!

+Quote Post
D0096F
post Oct 29 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #11

ASF Citizen

Add Feedback for D0096F

QUOTE (gumbum8 @ Oct 29 2008, 10:37 AM) *
Awesome guide props to ya a-thumbsup.gif
...Just wondering, where can you even get v.1 gearboxes though? and if you got it, what could you really use it for?

The FA-MAS

--------------------

+Quote Post

to add your banner to our network, click here
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Armory Tech Airsoft FoxAirsoft.com AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com ACMGear.com
AsiaAirsoft.com YZH.hkm TrinityAirsoft.com AirsoftRC.com eHobby Asia Vote for us
to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you enjoy using this website, please please support us financially with a small donation or upgrade your account. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend about us and share us on your favorite social networking website.

content copyright AirsoftForum.com 2003-2013 an Airsoft Forum, Airsoft Chat Room, Airsoft Auctions, Airsoft Reviews, and Airsoft Classified Ads Community
Get your discount from Armory Tech Airsoft
Get airsoft guns and more with award winning customer service at Trinity Airsoft
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
Professional Airsoft Solutions
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3