Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

airsoft forum and discussion board

to add your 468x60 banner, pay ad zone 1
Click Here for the Advanced ASF Search Tool
website template selector
Bookmark and Share

to place your ad here in Zone 3, click here

> General Buy-Sell Forum Rules

THIS AREA IS FOR THE DISCUSSION ABOUT BUYERS, SELLERS, AND AIRSOFT ITEMS AND NO SELLING IS ALLOWED IN THIS AREA - THIS IS THE GENERAL BST DISCUSSION FORUM. PLEASE ALSO READ THE PINNED TOPICS BELOW!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> buy-sale-trade- for sale forum organization issues
admin
post Sep 8 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #1

Webmaster

Group: Website Administrator
Member No.: 7,858
SOA Name: admin

My Temperament:7,7,2,8
Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 0 (0%)
Add Feedback for admin

A few days ago, we had a couple of topics open talking about organizing the BST FS forums here. It was suggested that the main FS area was too cluttered and should be organized into sub forums. We voted on it and 80% of the voters said, yes - create the sub forums / sub categories so that items can be seperated into appropriate forums...

Well after the change, 60% of the voters said it sucked - change it back so I did. Here is the topic saying change it back if you care to read it. There is lots of good info in that topic, but since I have decided to switch it back to the original ASF BST layout, I have closed that topic. If you have additional input or you want to revisit something that was said in that closed thread, please feel free to quote it or copy and paste it here.

I am thinking at this point that maybe we should look at some way in making people at least be more descriptive in their topic titles and create some sort of penilty if they do not and continue to post vague topic titles forcing lots of non-targeted traffic to their thread. Granted you get a lot of visitors to your thread, but its very annoying to have to read each and every topic to find out that it was a waste of time because you're not interested in what's listed in that thread.

your thought?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AKAKman
post Sep 8 2010, 09:23 AM
Post #2

ASF Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Authorized Seller Elite
Member No.: 57,814

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 85 (100%)
Add Feedback for AKAKman

right. the mods should crack down on people who do not say in their title what they are selling......they should get 1. a warning 2. a last warning 3. the mods should just close the topic since the sellers won't change their topics.......um also remember that the edit button disappears after a while too so they would have to change the topic title ASAP........I mean its just not right when people say "I need College Books Sale" etc...........you should make a new rule forbidding that because it forces people to have to take a look......its deceptive selling in my opinion.

+Quote Post
aznriptide859
post Sep 8 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #3

ASR's Commie Mod
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,137

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 20 (100%)
Add Feedback for aznriptide859

Wow...REALLY?

-_-

Thanks for making ASF unorganized again.

Vague topic titles should be punished with a 30 minute strampling of ASF's brontosaurus.

--------------------

Interested in R-Hop's and other custom work? Visit HS5 Armory! https://sites.google.com/site/hsarmory/

Need an extremely reliable MOSFET for your AEG? Check out BTC Airsoft! http://www.btcairsoft.com/

+Quote Post
AKAKman
post Sep 8 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #4

ASF Citizen
Group Icon

Add Feedback for AKAKman

seriously aznriptide859.........thats how a lot of people wanted it. but I agree when you say that the vague topic titles should be punished within 30 minutes of their existence. period.

+Quote Post
aznriptide859
post Sep 8 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #5

ASR's Commie Mod
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,137

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 20 (100%)
Add Feedback for aznriptide859

Admin, if you make a change, STAND BY IT - do not falter because of dissent or whatever. Not doing so will result in a loss of sense of authority, something I already do not feel is present on ASF.

--------------------

Interested in R-Hop's and other custom work? Visit HS5 Armory! https://sites.google.com/site/hsarmory/

Need an extremely reliable MOSFET for your AEG? Check out BTC Airsoft! http://www.btcairsoft.com/

+Quote Post
alberty
post Sep 8 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #6

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Group: Moderator Level 2
Member No.: 53,983

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 48 (100%)
Add Feedback for alberty

I suppose if I had some more time to edit, I wouldn't mind changing my sales thread's title right now. Currently it's a generic and uninformative "Alberty's sales" as I know that all of the things I sell are quite random, as I originally didn't want to manage 3 or more threads just to isolate my different categories of things to get rid of, like how I have a single M4 bore-up kit among the majority of tactical gear and external parts I'm selling, but I wouldn't mind if everyone else does in order to get rid of unnecessary clutter or wasting people's time on the BST forum.

I tried at least to put "PC, vests, AEGs, etc..." in the subtitle, but maybe if there's an option to change the thread title with admin approval after the initial creation edit time, I'd change the title as well to something like "alberty's sale: AEGs, tactical gear, parts, etc..." because as I said before, I kind of like to keep a single thread that contains everything I'm selling at once because though I could go and make many threads to isolate every item by more specific categories, I feel that could potentially add many threads to the forum if everyone does the same, and will also make bumping rules harder to enforce (what if you have 10 separate item threads? Are you allowed to bump them all at once in accordance to the one-bump-per-24-hours rule?)

TL;DR - I don't know what the middle ground would be. I like a single thread so I unfortunately chose a non-specific title, but I also don't want to make way too many threads to make specific items listing.

Edit: that's from my seller POV. As a buyer, I would actually like to seen more specified threads for searching convenience, haha.

This post has been edited by alberty: Sep 8 2010, 10:36 AM

--------------------
(below is my automatic signature content)

Check out the guns I'm selling:

+Quote Post
admin
post Sep 8 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #7

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

QUOTE (aznriptide859 @ Sep 8 2010, 10:56 AM) *
Admin, if you make a change, STAND BY IT - do not falter because of dissent or whatever. Not doing so will result in a loss of sense of authority, something I already do not feel is present on ASF.

I generally do stand by my decisions and for anyone that has been around a few years can certainly confirm that I definately do stand by things and issues that I get behind. I am not one to waver and faulter as you have suggested.

At the same time, I am not such a over bearing ruler that I don't care what members think either because I do. It's a fine line between caring what people think and being able to make the right decisions to better the forum. 2 years ago when we went to a paid and free seller situation here in the BST from an all-free format, I believe the majority hated it and thought it was going to hurt asf. I stuck to my guns and to the surprise of many - it was a huge improvment on many levels.

For anyone that doubts my athority or that of our staff members, lol... simply start acting like a fool and watch what happens in a few minutes

a-salute.gif

I appreciate your input though

This post has been edited by admin: Sep 8 2010, 10:39 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AKAKman
post Sep 8 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #8

ASF Citizen
Group Icon

Add Feedback for AKAKman

...Admin I think you did the right thing in changing back to the old way even if some people did not like it. The majority of ASF members were not really ready or accepting of this change....maybe again in the future you could try it again. I think that we all should be thankful and appreciative of the asf staff.......I mean they spent their time and money setting up this forum for our benefit... THANKS SO MUCH ADMIN FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS!

+Quote Post
Sith
post Sep 8 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #9

ASF Citizen

Group: Member
Member No.: 42,324

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 13 (93.3%)
Add Feedback for Sith

I loved the way you did the organization, I felt it was a great leap forward toward legitimate craigslist-type BST. And it worked. I think most of the people voting weren't fully aware of the changes actually made to the BST section.

--------------------

I build AB Mosfets!
My feedback thread
Having gearbox problems? PM me!

+Quote Post
AKAKman
post Sep 8 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #10

ASF Citizen
Group Icon

Add Feedback for AKAKman

I was. I went through it but I just did not like it no matter how much I used it or tried to convince myself that it was organized. Whats done is done. I don't think admin will change it back.....at least not anytime soon....which is fine with me because I like the way it is now......

+Quote Post
admin
post Sep 8 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #11

Webmaster

Add Feedback for admin

I did change it back... what we have right now is the original (no for sale sub forums) the way it has been for years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xander Bolanos
post Sep 8 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #12

If ain't Custom it ain't Mine
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,066
SOA Name: Xander Bolanos

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 75 (100%)
Add Feedback for Xander Bolanos

QUOTE (admin @ Sep 8 2010, 04:13 PM) *
I did change it back... what we have right now is the original (no for sale sub forums) the way it has been for years.

Thank You
I agree the threads need to be more descriptive and you need to start giving out vacations to people who make vague titles like the help me buy a truck, or my quitting sale, I need cash now etc etc, I would recommend making a rule that requires thread maker to list in description what they are selling mainly and on the bottom info line in sales thread what is for sale example, internals, gear, aeg, gbb, and so on. I know your trying Robert so thanks for that but glad its back to normal

think of the positive that resulted from the trials and errors
the new feedback system is all win and everyone knows it
the non airsoft for sale thread win
the classic airsoft thread for sale
the free or pay it forward thread is also pure win
so the forum is evolving and you showed you are willing to help your members and listen to them.

This post has been edited by Xander Bolanos: Sep 8 2010, 04:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
BigBabyMoses06
post Sep 8 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #13

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 35,990
SOA Name: BigBabyMoses06

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 11 (100%)
Add Feedback for BigBabyMoses06

I liked the new organization! There was NOTHING wrong with it!
Change it back!

--------------------
-Winsauce-

+Quote Post
TheJawn
post Sep 8 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #14

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 56,500

Add Feedback for TheJawn

QUOTE (aznriptide859 @ Sep 8 2010, 10:56 AM) *
Admin, if you make a change, STAND BY IT - do not falter because of dissent or whatever. Not doing so will result in a loss of sense of authority,
full of BIAS - howso? because a few minutes before:
QUOTE (aznriptide859 @ Sep 8 2010, 10:41 AM) *
Wow...REALLY?
Thanks for making ASF unorganized again.
anyway...

guidelines could be created for airsoft-related WTS titles and subtitles, besides outlawing extraneous text ('need money for truck!' or titles that have the OP's name in it)
my suggestion for title guidelines:
-stratify major types of information commonly seen in titles. left justify the most important info into the title, and right justify the least important info into the subtitle. figuring out the major types of info and their importance would be at the rulemaker's discresion

if you do decide to make guidelines for titles, you may want to consider how easy it will be to implement (perhaps no set of rules will be easy to implement). if it facilitates the process of finding something that's needed or wanted, the change will probably be for the better.

that being said, here's another suggestion for an even simpler guideline: NO EXTRANEOUS TEXT

This post has been edited by TheJawn: Sep 9 2010, 07:41 PM

+Quote Post
Amorton94
post Sep 8 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #15

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 54,984

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 4 (100%)
Add Feedback for Amorton94

I like the way it is. I see no problem with it. It's not 'disorganized' it's just open. Current threads are up front, dead threads are in back. If you can't waste 5 minutes of your time looking through a thread to find something then why are you on a forum?

--------------------
Want to buy replica crye multicam, the set with kneepads and elbow pads built in. Needed in medium long if possible, medium regular if not. Just PM me with what you have.

+Quote Post
Funkytownman
post Sep 8 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #16

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 41,129

Add Feedback for Funkytownman

Um... here's just my thoughts... And I understand that it would suck to program it all, but...
I really like ASR's way of doing classifieds, with straight up form-based radio fields. Listing item, how much want to sell for, etc.
Ya it's a lot of work, but instead of having just guidelines, it moves from a forum based sales setup to a restricted fill-out-the-form classified system. If I remember correctly, it also helps to punch the bumping clutter out, instead having users/viewers being able to filter how they want to see different ads.

Just mah .02 :)

--------------------
A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it- Oscar Wilde

+Quote Post
AKAKman
post Sep 9 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #17

ASF Citizen
Group Icon

Add Feedback for AKAKman

I am getting a bit fed up of having to read "I need a truck sale" or "I need College books sale" ......admin I think you should make a rule that the mods should crack down on that stuff.....it gets so annoying.......but I really enjoy the old system now...thanks

+Quote Post
LaCross
post Sep 15 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #18

ASF Citizen

Member No.: 55,740

Your Temperament Score? Trader Rating: 8 (100%)
Add Feedback for LaCross

I do like it like it is now. I agree with the titles needing to be more descriptive.

One thing that I would like to resolve is how few people look at the wtb section on a regular basis. Often times ill have a thread up for a week or two and finally buy one, and the a day later somebody makes a sale thread. While if they saw the wtb thread, I would have bought that one.

Now an idea that I have now is to stream the top 3-5 wtb topics to be visible in the wts thread. Such as like an advertisement or something. But this way a lot more people would be able to see what people are looking to buy

It could be something like

[3-5 wtb threads streamed from the wtb section]

[important threads]

[sale threads]

Thoughts?

--------------------
2:43 am :[Dodge]: Lax is always mad. Its just varying degrees of mad
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3:31 am:[Aimfor1337]: I'm all about pleasing men... men that please me
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Romeo_Delta] 11:01 pm: EBH is like a white Shwell, except slightly less hip gangsta pimp daddy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11:25 pm: [carbonfibreguy]: Lax, go to the store, and buy a pregnancy test, hatchet, and a shovel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
wringle
post Oct 11 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #19

ASF Immigrant

Member No.: 60,733

Add Feedback for wringle

It definitely is your responsibility to know where your buyer is from
It is illegal to purchase a handgun in a state where you are not a resident
I will not sell a handgun to stranger without seeing a state ID

You can purchase a long gun in another contiguous state

So the answer to your question is yes you can

--------------------

+Quote Post

to add your banner to our network, click here
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Armory Tech Airsoft FoxAirsoft.com AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com ACMGear.com
AsiaAirsoft.com YZH.hkm TrinityAirsoft.com AirsoftRC.com eHobby Asia Vote for us
to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you enjoy using this website, please please support us financially with a small donation or upgrade your account. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend about us and share us on your favorite social networking website.

content copyright AirsoftForum.com 2003-2013 an Airsoft Forum, Airsoft Chat Room, Airsoft Auctions, Airsoft Reviews, and Airsoft Classified Ads Community
Get your discount from Armory Tech Airsoft
Get airsoft guns and more with award winning customer service at Trinity Airsoft
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
Professional Airsoft Solutions
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3