Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official G3 Guide
Airsoft Forum > AirSoft Replicas, Tech Talk and Advice > AEG (Automatic Electric Guns) Rifles & SMGs
Enzo_Guy
A brief history is that the HK G3 came from the CETME design and is currently or has been used by almost every military in the world and is a popular choice for terrorist organizations. I'm not going to discuss every variant, only the popular ones (if you care to learn about the individual variants I will be glad to detail them to you in a PM).

G3: This is the very first G3, it was based off of the CETME Modelo B. It was a select-fire assault fire that used the 7.62x51mm NATO round (also known as .308 Winchester). At this time I am not aware of any airsoft copies of the original version of the G3.

G3A2: This is first version to feature the drum sights.

G3A3: This is the version that sported the plastic stock, handguard, and pistolgrip.

G3SG/1: This version is the known designated marksman variant. These variants received a new trigger group, a cheek rest, and a slightly extended stock. The TM G3 SG-1 is a copy of this variant.

G3A4: This is the same as the G3A3, but it sports a collapsible stock. The CA M41 ES is a copy of this variant.

G3KA4: The version that features the same retractable stock in conjunction with a 315mm barrel. The K stands for Kurz with means short in German and is a common designation for German companies to use on shortened rifles and SMGs.

G3A4ZF: A G3 with a scope bracket and scope.

HK21: This is the machinegun version, capable of being fed by both belt and magazines. It is common on the American aftermarket os Pre-86 automatics to modify these weapons to accept .223 and .308 sears (the HK23 was the 5.56mm version). One of the unique features is this gun's high firing rate (800rpm or 900rpm depending on HK21 model and 750rpm for the HK23). I wish they would make an airsoft version of this beast, as its firing rate would easily place it amongst the most feared SAWs.

HK11: Experimental rifle that attempted to use 4.7mm caseless ammunition. The reason for its cancellation are under speculation, but a good guess is the economic strain of uniting East and West Germany.

HK51: This was an experimental model but was dropped. Modern reference to an HK51 actually means a modified G3 that uses sear parts to allow it to fire several calibers. The term is often misunderstood to mean a G3 that has been reduced to the length of an MP5. The MC51 was a version created by FR Ordnance for the British SAS, but it was not made by HK.

HK53: This is the version which many people get in their mind when they think of an HK51. It sports a 211mm barrel and retractable stock that it give it characteristics much like the MP5. What seperates this gun is that it fires the 5.56mm round instead of the G3's standard 7.62x51mm round.

G3A1: There was an earlier version of this rifle, but now it is commonly used to refer to a G3 on the American market that is equipped with an aftermarket stock.

HK41: This is the rarer of the civillian versions shipped to America. It was limited to semi-automatic fire only, but could easily be modified to fire in full-automatic mode because it used a modular trigger system common to all G3s.

HK91: This version fixed the modularity issues allowing for full-auto HK41s to be created. Many experts consider it to be clumsier and not as high of quality as the HK41 and is not as desirable on the American market.

PSG-1: One of the most revered police sniper rifles in the world. It received a highly modified barrel to be used for long range accuracy (notably it also features polygonal rifling). The trigger group was modified to only fire in sem-automatic form. The iron sights were removed and a scope was mounted. It contains many adjustable features commonly found on modern sniper rifles. This gun, even though it is so famed for its accuracy and reliability, is rarely seen because it carries a $10K+ price tag.

MSG-90: The shorter, lighter, cheaper military variant of the PSG-1. Currently used by the US in the DMR program.

MSG-3: The major difference is that this is an SG1 that uses the newer type of scope mount.

Other Airsoft Variants
TM MC51: Presumably a copy of the FR Ordnance MC51 version that was manufactured for the British SAS but was quickly dropped.

TM G3 SAS: This is not actually a real gun, but the closest relative is a G3 pistol known as the Vector V51. The Vector is a version that was manufactured to be a civillian-legal short G3, meaning that in order for it to not receive an NFA SBR title it could not have any kind of stock (retractible or fixed) and thus the G3 pistol was born.

Classic Army: All Classic Army M41 and SAR variants are not copies of any HK, but rather of Schwaben, a German company licensed to make reproductions of the G3. The CA53 could be a copy of the HK53, but more information is needed at this point as to whether this is a copy of HK or Schwaben.

If there is anything that you feel should be added just let me know.
-SocaL-MilitiA-
QUOTE (Enzo_Guy @ Mar 30 2008, 12:36 AM) *
G3A2: This is first version to feature the drum sights. The only known copy is the CA M41 SG.

Other Airsoft Variants
CA M41 FS: This gun actually had me scratching my head for a few minutes until I realised it is known as the "G3A1" to the gunsmithing crowd. The G3A1 was an original designation of a lesser-known version that was mostly experimental, so now it is a popular name for G3s that have been modified with aftermarket MP5 parts. The M41 FS uses a standard G3 stock, a highly shortened barrel, and an RIS handguard that is typically found on MP5s.

TM G3 SAS: This one is not actually a copy of any known HK, but rather a one-off known as a Vector V51. The Vector is a version that was manufactured to be a civillian-legal short G3, meaning that in order for it to not receive an NFA SBR title it could not have any kind of stock (retractible or fixed) and thus the G3 pistol was born. The G3 SAS was built to model this V51, but the SAS's fully-automatic trigger group and RIS handguard are what set it apart as only a clone.

-classic army doesnt make a g3a2, they make a g3a3. the g3a2 is the original wood stocked one with a free floating barrel installed.
-the m41 fs is a hk51 (cross between mp5 and g3) with a ris installed, its not a g3 a1, the g3a1 is a g3 with a rotary sight and colapsible stock.
-the g3 sas is not a real gun, it has a charging handle pull too short to chamber a .308 round, its a cross of an mp5k and a g3, the result of TMs quest for the ultimate cqb weapon
-G3A3 is a g3 with a free float barrel, plastic furniture, a 22mm rifle grende adapter, and rotaty sights.

other guns to add to the list are G3K, a shortened g3; PSG1;MSG 3; MSG 90, the budjet psg; G3Zf, earlier sg1; HK21, lmg; HK11; HK23; HK51; HK91, civilian g3; and the ever so awesome DIO Bull Pup G3 shown below

ask me, I know alot about H&K, and I love their designs.
Riflewizard
The MC51 is actually a G3, but shorter. It was given a MP5 sized cocking tube, and slighty longer than mp5 barrel but still has a 7.62 G3 reciever and stock. It uses mp5 style hanguards with the removal of 2 tabs on the mp5 type.
Enzo_Guy
QUOTE (-SocaL-MilitiA- @ Mar 30 2008, 12:28 AM) *
-classic army doesnt make a g3a2, they make a g3a3. the g3a2 is the original wood stocked one with a free floating barrel installed.
-the m41 fs is a hk51 (cross between mp5 and g3) with a ris installed, its not a g3 a1, the g3a1 is a g3 with a rotary sight and colapsible stock.
-the g3 sas is not a real gun, it has a charging handle pull too short to chamber a .308 round, its a cross of an mp5k and a g3, the result of TMs quest for the ultimate cqb weapon
-G3A3 is a g3 with a free float barrel, plastic furniture, a 22mm rifle grende adapter, and rotaty sights.

other guns to add to the list are G3K, a shortened g3; PSG1;MSG 3; MSG 90, the budjet psg; G3Zf, earlier sg1; HK21, lmg; HK11; HK23; HK51; HK91, civilian g3; and the ever so awesome DIO Bull Pup G3 shown below

ask me, I know alot about H&K, and I love their designs.

Thanks for pointing out the G3A2 error, I was writing this late last night and goofed up.

The M41 FS is NOT an HK51 (which was en experimental weapon originally, but now an HK51 refers to an HK53 sear weapon that can fire both 5.56mm and 7.62x51mm rounds). The HK51 today is used to refer to an automatic weapon that is capable of accepting the sears to fire both calibers, but there is no official HK51 because it was only experimental (the HK53 is the 5.56mm variant that the M41 copies).

Yeah, the SAS is not quite real, but the case can be made that the V51 is close enough to the SAS that they are cousins (they are both short-barrel G3 pistols).

I do not believe that all G3A3s came with the 22mm grenade adapter, as some were named G3TGS and came with the 40mm (thus defeating the purpose for the 22mm one). But I am not quite sure about this, I'll see if I can find more information.
WeeGee
I don't know if it's worth pointing out but the replicas CA produces of the G3 line are using the Schwaben trademark rather than H&K. Schwaben was licensed to produce G3 type rifles and their nomenclature may be different. I tried looking it up but their website's (predictably) in German and teh Google translator decided to take a holiday.
Enzo_Guy
QUOTE (WeeGee @ Mar 30 2008, 10:44 AM) *
I don't know if it's worth pointing out but the replicas CA produces of the G3 line are using the Schwaben trademark rather than H&K. Schwaben was licensed to produce G3 type rifles and their nomenclature may be different. I tried looking it up but their website's (predictably) in German and teh Google translator decided to take a holiday.

This would seem to be accurate. I was able to dig up that their is a true M41 Offizier from Schwaben.
http://www.schwabenarmsgmbh.de/pages/page_12pag.html
-(eset)-HX
QUOTE (-SocaL-MilitiA- @ Mar 30 2008, 12:28 AM) *

OYFG(oh your f /THOU SHALT NOT USE MY NAME IN VAIN/)! that looks like a Type 95...

and TM used to make a G3A3, and JG now has a clone of the G3A3...
Enzo_Guy
QUOTE (-(eset)-HX @ Mar 30 2008, 11:31 AM) *
OYFG(oh your f /THOU SHALT NOT USE MY NAME IN VAIN/)! that looks like a Type 95...

and TM used to make a G3A3, and JG now has a clone of the G3A3...

That Iranian rifle is probably not even used anymore (if they ever even used it). The Khaybar 2002 was adopted in 2004 and is a 5.56mm bullpup that takes M16 mags and is a copy of the Chinese Type 95.
-SocaL-MilitiA-
QUOTE (Enzo_Guy @ Mar 30 2008, 11:34 AM) *
That Iranian rifle is probably not even used anymore (if they ever even used it). The Khaybar 2002 was adopted in 2004 and is a 5.56mm bullpup that takes M16 mags and is a copy of the Chinese Type 95.

since I am iranian I know that the g3 is still used by the iranian military by some units but is overall a beautiful rifle lying in retirement in warehouses. When my dad was an iranian MP in the Shah era he used a g3a3 and was the best shooter in his squad with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.
CommunitySEO 1.2.3 © 2014  IPB SEO Module