Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Have Questions About Playing On Other Property
Airsoft Forum > General > General Discussion
FUBARphil
Alright, here's the deal. If you go to play on another property and there is nothing saying you cant play there, could you still get in trouble. I know for a fact that if there is no posted signs, etc. you cannot get in trouble for being there, is it the same for airsoft I personally think theres nothing wrong with it, but is it differant with airsoft, what do you guys think? oh I also live in upstate NY, so if you want to send a list of laws don't be shy.
Kavurcen
If it's public property, it's not illegal, but it's stupid and can get you into trouble.
fastkevin
It's totally dependent on local laws and codes. What my be legal in Arizona, may not be in New York, I.e. in your area just because its not posted it doesn't mean it's legal to screw around on private property.
I would think running around in camo and shooting at people who look the same and are doing the same thing(or not) with what looks like a real weapon, isn't the smartest idea ANYWHERE other than your own land, or an area where you have permission to be doing it from the owner. Even then, you still run the risk of a passer-by not liking what they see, and calling the Popo. I'm a firm believer in playing at designated areas only.
itsahak
Your "known fact" is incorrect. You can be charged with trespassing, even if no signs are posted. I have charged and convicted people for just such things. Trespassing is simply being somewhere that you don't belong or have permission to be. Remember the law is legal not logical. It doesn't consider ignorance of the law as an excuse (think of speeding. It doesn't matter if you knew what the speed limit was or not, if you're going over it, you're getting tagged regardless of your knowledge).

Remember, there is no property that isn't owned by someone. IF it's not in private/corporate hands it belongs to the city/county/state/federal governments. And though "publicly owned" lands can be fine for some activities, I find airsoft is usually not one of them. Especially in our ever growing hysteria against anything even remotely resembling a firearm! Here's what you can do...

Find your local city/county registrar's office. There you can request to view the information on a parcel of land. Through the Freedom of Information act, you can view these things, though sometimes they'll charge a small fee. In my area we have it online where we can check owners names, tax info, etc etc. Then you can contact the land owner and request permission. I prefer to do so in person, but barring that a letter would be fine.
King Five
It is illegal to play airsoft on public property, or private property you do not have permission to play on. If you don't have permission to airsoft there, you probably don't have permission to be there(not always, but usually).
Kavurcen
Even if it isn't illegal, it is stupid and it's stuff like that that gives airsoft a bad name.
FUBARphil
If theres not anything saying you cant be there than theres probably no big issue, as long as your not hurting anything. If they didn't want you there they would probably make it more clear.
Kavurcen
QUOTE (FUBARphil @ Jun 7 2009, 03:51 PM) *
If theres not anything saying you cant be there than theres probably no big issue, as long as your not hurting anything. If they didn't want you there they would probably make it more clear.

NO. WRONG.
Never play anywhere besides a designated airsoft field.
travislikescoolstuff
QUOTE (itsahak @ Jun 6 2009, 06:41 AM) *
Remember, there is no property that isn't owned by someone.

Incorrect, Antarctica is not owned by anyone or any country.
Slayer750
nvm
Kavurcen
QUOTE (travislikescoolstuff @ Jun 9 2009, 07:18 PM) *
Incorrect, Antarctica is not owned by anyone or any country.

Technically, correct me if I'm wrong, it is owned by the United Nations Council.
CCX
Honestly I don't think anyone would care if somebody was playing airsoft in Antarctica, but what I wonder more is why you would want to in the first place. Unless you're REALLY hardcore.
ah dinosaur!
QUOTE (King Five @ Jun 6 2009, 05:44 AM) *
It is illegal to play airsoft on public property, or private property you do not have permission to play on. If you don't have permission to airsoft there, you probably don't have permission to be there(not always, but usually).

Actually, no it's not. There is public land out by 'the river' where the local games are. Because it's public land (owned by city/county I'm not sure) We are allowed to be there. The organizers of the event have sought permission from whoever owns the land (city/county, again, not sure, but it IS public) They also notify the police when they are having an event to avoid issues.

and let's not get started on Antarctica. posting about things that are unrelated and focusing on minor contradictory details ARE rankposting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.
CommunitySEO 1.2.3 © 2014  IPB SEO Module