Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About California Orange Tip Law
Airsoft Forum > General > General Discussion
vernonreaper
Removing Orange Tip and It Shoot it at back yard, Illegal?
Removed Orange Tip and Place it at my Wall, Illegal?
Removed Orange Tip and play in the dessert, Illegal?
Is it illegal for playing at an airsoft field having removed orange tip?
xlizer
QUOTE (vernonreaper @ Apr 14 2010, 01:36 PM) *
Removing Orange Tip and It Shoot it at back yard, Illegal?
Removed Orange Tip and Place it at my Wall, Illegal?
Removed Orange Tip and play in the dessert, Illegal?
Is it illegal for playing at an airsoft field having removed orange tip?

It's legal in California for you to remove the orange tip as long as you're not selling or otherwise commercially transporting it.

Now, as for the legality of those activities... Playing in your back yard or in a desert is a bit iffy. You'd have to check your local airgun laws.

It is perfectly legal in California to remove the orange tip and display your gun on your wall and to play at an airsoft field having removed the orange tip.

There was a case recently where a person was traveling with his airsoft gun with removed orange tip in the front passenger seat of his pickup truck in California. He was charged with altering a replica firearm to appear more realistic, but the court ruled that airsoft guns were not replica guns but were instead bb guns, and that removing the orange tip was within his rights.

EDIT: That said, it is still illegal to brandish an airsoft gun, orange tip or not. Remember to always transport your guns in a case, bag, or in some way completely covered.
carbonfibreguy
Not just in California, everywhere in the U.S. Anyways, it isn't considered illegal to remove in your backyard, but it is recommended to keep it on unless you are at a field or on the wall.
TakePoint
Back in high school, we always just left the orange tips on. We heard all the rumors and stories about getting shot by cops if you weren't careful. To be honest I haven't looked much into it. Does anyone know the laws about tips for Indiana?
Avneet
Just adding my 2 cents. It is not legal advice, but this is why I keep my orange tips off (still keep them out of view from anyone other then at the field).

Look at California's Laws
Deltie
According to that, that means 8mm marushins and others are not considered BB guns, but actual firearms?

Lastly, If the damn ATF could tell the difference between airsoft guns and actual firearms....
vbrrcdas
as long as you are smart about it, I.E. not doing anything stupid, you should be good, just be sure when you transport to have the gun in a bag or a case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.
CommunitySEO 1.2.3 © 2014  IPB SEO Module