Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Night Vision/Thermal Scopes?
Airsoft Forum > AirSoft Replicas, Tech Talk and Advice > Sniper Rifles
Admiral*Fury
I have been wondering recently if a night vision or thermal imagery scope would be use-able for airsoft at night games. I originally thought of getting a nice thermal scope, but they're usually several thousand dollars more expensive than night vision scopes. Would something like this - http://www.atncorp.com/nightvision-weapons...-atnaries-mk410 be practical for an airsoft match?
Cardboard Box
I suppose, if you'd be willing to spend upwards of $600 on a scope so that you can have an advantage during a night game. It might be worth it if you play a lot of night games, but otherwise, I'd invest in something else.
TyGuy94920

I've tried to use night vision during several airsoft matches so far, and have to believe that it's practically useless. Your natural night vision is more useful
Slider993
I have not sniped during night games, but my friend is a seasoned sniper, and he enjoys it most at night. I asked him how he did it once, and he said that when you see movement through the scope, shoot.
lulukchoo23
$600 is not enough for a good night vision. You'll need a LOT of money to spend if you want one that you can actually see with, like over $1k. The sub-$1k scopes aren't very good, like Gen. 1 and 2.

Thermal is Government only I believe. There's a difference between Thermal and normal NV.
Wonko The Sane
Lay down your console controller... You won't be getting a hold of thermal weapons optics under a 5 digit price tag.

Same goes with night vision, if it is Gen1, it sucks :censored2:. Gen2 still is hardly worth your money, there is a small difference between it and Gen1. Gen3 is about the only useful NV and it is leaps and bounds better than 1 & 2, but again, weapon mounted optics in Gen3 will be close to 5 digits.
sniperx2s
QUOTE (Admiral*Fury @ Jan 23 2011, 10:11 PM) *
I have been wondering recently if a night vision or thermal imagery scope would be use-able for airsoft at night games. I originally thought of getting a nice thermal scope, but they're usually several thousand dollars more expensive than night vision scopes. Would something like this - http://www.atncorp.com/nightvision-weapons...-atnaries-mk410 be practical for an airsoft match?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9mwGeDAxhk

get some ideas for this. relatively cheap and if you mod it enough, you can hook it up to a scope
Admiral*Fury
QUOTE (Wonko The Sane @ Jan 24 2011, 06:12 AM) *
Lay down your console controller... You won't be getting a hold of thermal weapons optics under a 5 digit price tag.

Same goes with night vision, if it is Gen1, it sucks censored2.gif. Gen2 still is hardly worth your money, there is a small difference between it and Gen1. Gen3 is about the only useful NV and it is leaps and bounds better than 1 & 2, but again, weapon mounted optics in Gen3 will be close to 5 digits.

I actually have a few relatives in the army that would possibly be willing to let me borrow thermal optics.

We could easy afford the optics in the 5 digit price range, but it wouldn't be worth it even if you were putting it on a $2000+ airsoft gun.

I know that Gen1 and 2 are horrible, but anything beyond that is pretty expensive.

I started this thread to know how well night vision or thermal optics would work in a night game, regardless of the price. This got a bit off topic, but it helped nevertheless.
woogie_man
QUOTE (Admiral*Fury @ Jan 24 2011, 02:34 PM) *
I actually have a few relatives in the army that would possibly be willing to let me borrow thermal optics.

We could easy afford the optics in the 5 digit price range, but it wouldn't be worth it even if you were putting it on a $2000+ airsoft gun.

I know that Gen1 and 2 are horrible, but anything beyond that is pretty expensive.

I started this thread to know how well night vision or thermal optics would work in a night game, regardless of the price. This got a bit off topic, but it helped nevertheless.

The red part...... BULL PUCKIE!!!

That just isn't going to happen bud. A good thermal scope is going to cost you near $12k for a decent one. And I can prommise you that there isn't an armor that is going to let someones friend take out a piece a sentitive item out of the armory, for his friend to use in an airsoft game. So keep dreaming.

And Gen 1 and Gen 2 NVG's can be fairly good. For what an airsoft guns range it..... a Gen 1 will be just fine. Get a nice Gen 1 and get yourself a decent IR light. You will then have a fairly decent set up for what you need, and you don't need to spend over $1500 on it.

I have used NVG's from Gen 1 up to Gen 4, and for airsoft rifles, a Gen 1 will work fine.
I have also used a variety of thermal optics as well. And trust me, if you have the funds for a half way decent thermal optic, you won't be spending your money on airsoftt guns.

If you really have your heart set on using the high end "toys"..........join the military, and play with their toys.
Admiral*Fury
QUOTE (woogie_man @ Jan 24 2011, 03:46 PM) *
The red part...... BULL PUCKIE!!!

That just isn't going to happen bud. A good thermal scope is going to cost you near $12k for a decent one. And I can prommise you that there isn't an armor that is going to let someones friend take out a piece a sentitive item out of the armory, for his friend to use in an airsoft game. So keep dreaming.

And Gen 1 and Gen 2 NVG's can be fairly good. For what an airsoft guns range it..... a Gen 1 will be just fine. Get a nice Gen 1 and get yourself a decent IR light. You will then have a fairly decent set up for what you need, and you don't need to spend over $1500 on it.

I have used NVG's from Gen 1 up to Gen 4, and for airsoft rifles, a Gen 1 will work fine.
I have also used a variety of thermal optics as well. And trust me, if you have the funds for a half way decent thermal optic, you won't be spending your money on airsoftt guns.

If you really have your heart set on using the high end "toys"..........join the military, and play with their toys.

You have a valid point there.
The "Bull puckie" part isn't really as bad as it seems. Of course they use thermal optics that aren't usually theirs, but they also have their own thermal optics that they use regularly for hunting. You're right about the funds and how I wouldn't be working on airsoft if I had that kind of money. My family literally owns hundreds of guns, several of which are considered mine that I have paid for, and thermal equipment would be well suited for things like this. So if I can somehow come across a good working thermal scope, why not use it for airsoft?

Edit: I know you need a warrant to use thermal technology... but would you be required to have the warrant for an airsoft game?
woogie_man
A warrent?

If you are using them for hunting reasons, then yes, a lot of states will not allow the use of light enhancing products. I know some places will allow some business to use them for pest removal... but that is another story for another sight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.
CommunitySEO 1.2.3 © 2014  IPB SEO Module