to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Goggles Vs. Masks

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 maxm88

maxm88

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Every since I started playing airsoft I have used my paintball mask from my pre-airsoft days. For a little bit I have been debating whether or not to trade in the old mask for a pair of airsoft goggles because I've noticed that many people in milsim are using goggles right now. What do you guys think I should do?
sick of the criticsCool new movie review sight.

#2 silentshot

silentshot

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

Stick with a face mask.....I have had a friend lose teeth out on the field because people weren't being careful (such as new guy with upgraded gun freaked out when he turned corner and shot friend in mouth.) The trick is you don't have to use a paintball mask though, I have been using an airsoft mask made by JT that is made specifically for airsoft so you can look down the sights.
QUOTE (Kavurcen @ Feb 23 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...I'm just interested in how you would light someone on fire at an airsoft skirmish.

#3 maxm88

maxm88

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

thanks do you have a site where I can get one of these?
sick of the criticsCool new movie review sight.

#4 silentshot

silentshot

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (maxm88 @ Mar 16 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks do you have a site where I can get one of these?

http://www.kastwayai...-DELTAMASK.aspx

Here you go man, you can also probably pick them up at sports authority too, thats where I got mine. I love doing mil-sim man, but once you see someone's teeth shot out, your willing to sacrifice a little realism for safety.
...I'm just interested in how you would light someone on fire at an airsoft skirmish.

#5 octorfunk

octorfunk

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (silentshot @ Mar 16 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.kastwayai...-DELTAMASK.aspx

Here you go man, you can also probably pick them up at sports authority too, thats where I got mine. I love doing mil-sim man, but once you see someone's teeth shot out, your willing to sacrifice a little realism for safety.

I agree 100%. Goggles look more authentic, but there's nothing more worthless than losing your teeth because it "looked more milsim to wear goggles."

#6 Arrowana

Arrowana
  • Interests:Airsoft, Cycling, Music (Metal, almost all sub-genres), Video Games, Photography, and umm.... other stuff.

• My Temperament:2,2,10,11

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

Actually, with my MP5, I still can't look down the sights wearing it. Much better than having to wear a Paintball mask though.

#7 Whorify

Whorify
  • Interests:http://www.freewebs.com/nrgmechanics/<br /><br />http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v706/Whorif/

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

you can also try using a mouth peice while using normal goggles. it's awkward if you never used one before, but it's better than having a missing tooth.
"We are trained, pushed & tested... In sweat... In blood... 'Till all that is left is Honor, Courage & Commitment to a Brotherhood & a Freedom that no man can take away from us. Through Pain our Strength grows and Battle our Glory rises. Born, Bred for the dogs of War..."

My M4, My Gear, My Past and Present

#8 bgugi

bgugi
  • Interests:Airsoft, Music, Computers

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

shemega, or gas mask - just some other options.
I discontinued the player finder a long, long time ago due to general disinterest. please do not e-mail or message me about it any more.

#9 dakine

dakine

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

You always have a custom made balaclava or sort. I took a balaclave and sewed a hard piece of plastic in around the mouth area. No destroyed teeth here... There is of course two other ways to keep your teeth safe with no full mask. One is keep your mouth closed (My lips always take the heat when hit in the mouth.) or a mouth gaurd.

If you have a shegmah wraped right with enough layers around your face it will take the impact and will not bother your teeth.

Edited by dakine, 16 March 2008 - 09:33 PM.

#10 silentshot

silentshot

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (dakine @ Mar 16 2008, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You always have a custom made balaclava or sort. I took a balaclave and sewed a hard piece of plastic in around the mouth area. No destroyed teeth here... There is of course two other ways to keep your teeth safe with no full mask. One is keep your mouth closed (My lips always take the heat when hit in the mouth.) or a mouth gaurd.

If you have a shegmah wraped right with enough layers around your face it will take the impact and will not bother your teeth.

To be honest I would not recomend what Dakine suggested about just keeping your mouth closed so your lips take the hit. The friend that had his teeth shot out had his mouth closed and the shot also split his lip, and that gets messy. Like I said before, its for the safety reason why both me and him wear the face masks. THe shegmah if it is wrapped thick enough should give protection, but please don't go out with out some sort of face protection.

#11 Mello

Mello

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (maxm88 @ Mar 16 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every since I started playing airsoft I have used my paintball mask from my pre-airsoft days. For a little bit I have been debating whether or not to trade in the old mask for a pair of airsoft goggles because I've noticed that many people in milsim are using goggles right now. What do you guys think I should do?

Keep the full mask for CQB type games because there is more of a risk getting shot in the face. I use goggles for woodland games but full mask for CQB. Sure you look cool but getting shot in the face takes the cool factor away very quickly.

Edited by Mello, 18 March 2008 - 10:57 AM.

#12 dakine

dakine

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:14 PM

Well face mask or not I do not care for them and have never used them. Over the 7 years of airsoft I have played I never have had damage to my teeth or anything else with all different types of upgraded guns. Shot in the face, lips, bare skin, balclava on, shegmah on. I have never had a problem. Its all personal preference. Besides I have full dental coverage through work so... I am not afraid of pain ether. There is always a risk so keep that in mind whatever you do.

Also keep in mind that allot of paintball masks are just that for paintball. I have seen a good amount of people that have been shot in the face through a paintball mask over the years. So unless you get the right mask with think plastic and small holes then it is a false sense of securtity.

Take my words or leave them as this is all my opinion. I have found over the years that a balclava of a specific type will provide pretty good protection. The GI type polypro ones that are fleace lined. Yeah they are hot but think enough and have taken good impacts for me over the years. My current setup is a GI type polypro fleace lined neck gaiter with plastic insert sew into the mouth area with a shegmah around my neck. I keep the shegmag down for low hazard areas (not too much fire going on) and pull it up around my mouth just when I am in fire fights.

Again though its all up to each person as their own at how much pain they can take. It depends on the guns as well. Our limit here is 400fps with a 25' engaugment range so I have been hit from 25 feet or so on bare lips and skin with only a small welt and no teeth damage. If you play with some insane guys that shoot over 400fps and have no limit on distance then thats another story. When I play on other fields like that I take all the precautions I can with the exception of no mask. I never use a mask and never will. Its just me.

Take it all at face value thats all.

No masks for me have nothing to do with looking cool ether. Its all about function. With a mask on I cannot get a good cheek weild and it catches on my vest so I can't turn my head all that easy.

Edited by dakine, 18 March 2008 - 01:18 PM.

#13 silentshot

silentshot

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

The only thing I am trying to get across is the freak accident factor, for example the person that runs into you and freaks and pulls the trigger in your face. 400 FPS <AT> 25' is not that bad as 400 <AT> 5 to 10 feet. just my $0.02, I don't want to see people hurt.

#14 dakine

dakine

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

Yeah I understand and that is completly true. I guess I should have been a little more clear. The guys I play with are really responsible and the way we play there is abou a 1% chance that someone would freak out in our group but again its everyone to their own as to if they need more protection or not.

Being safe is the name of the game and thats it. The person has to deem what is safe and what they can handle.

Edited by dakine, 18 March 2008 - 02:42 PM.

#15 Mello

Mello

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (silentshot @ Mar 18 2008, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing I am trying to get across is the freak accident factor, for example the person that runs into you and freaks and pulls the trigger in your face. 400 FPS <AT> 25' is not that bad as 400 <AT> 5 to 10 feet. just my $0.02, I don't want to see people hurt.

Very good point and can happen. Just because it has not happened to one person does not make it a non-possibility for others. Safety is always first regardless of what sport or hobby your into. We don't all have the same pain threshhold so again if you want coolness "so be it" but understand the consequences of your actions and don't get peed off at the next person that took the shot.

Edited by Mello, 18 March 2008 - 02:45 PM.

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

I used to wear a paintball mask, but I couldn't aim down the sights. So I got a pair of goggles, and got shot in the tongue while I was talking to the guy next to me. Now, I wear a balaclava with goggles, and it both looks and functions great

#17 riight112

riight112
  • Interests:Cars<br />Computers<br />Martial-arts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:40 AM

This is what I plan on getting: http://eyetactical.c...ts/CM120SF.aspx

I agree with others that mesh masks will not give you the proper protection needed.

#18 bgugi

bgugi
  • Interests:Airsoft, Music, Computers

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

mesh masks = epic fail

shemegas are meant to be worn loose, they are probably the most confortable and safest solution.

but I still think that gas masks look pimp.
I discontinued the player finder a long, long time ago due to general disinterest. please do not e-mail or message me about it any more.

#19 PenguinC4

PenguinC4

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

With that jtusa mask does anybody know if it offers the same protection as a paintball mask and it only has a little cut for the stock? Because seeing my aimpoint is pretty hard with a mask on.

Edited by PenguinC4, 23 March 2008 - 09:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users