to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

M4 Front Assembly Removal

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Snippaman8

Snippaman8

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

Cant get the front assembly off my TM M4. I've heard that there is a little screw that I need to unscrew?

#2 Conrad

Conrad

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (Snippaman8 @ Jun 2 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cant get the front assembly off my TM M4. I've heard that there is a little screw that I need to unscrew?

By front assembly, do you mean foregrip? The instruction manual page 5 shows how to remove the foregrip. Pull the delta ring (closest to the body) back and it releases the rear of the foregrip.

Here is a pdf of the instruction manual if you don't have one.
http://www.kwausa.co...M4A1_manual.pdf

#3 Snippaman8

Snippaman8

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:58 AM

Need to get the whole front assembly off, like the delta ring and all. I think I need to remove the barrel nut?

#4 Mr. Grenade

Mr. Grenade

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:12 AM

M4 front end disassembly guide by me.
Your M4 may differ slightly, but should mostly be the same.

Start out by separating the upper receiver from the lower receiver and remove the inner barrel and hop-up unit.

Next remove the hand guard and flash hider.

After that the sling mount must be removed in order to gain access to a small set screw on the underside of the sight. Remove the set screw.

The next step is to remove the two pins on the bottom of the front sight. I pounded them out with a small Phillips head screw driver. They're usually pretty hard to get out. Try pushing them out from both sides, one way will be easier than the other.

After you finish all that you should be able to slide the front sight, the gas tube, and the front ring for the hand guard off of the barrel.

If you're looking to remove the barrel you have to unscrew the barrel nut. The best way I've found to break it loose is take a pair of needle nose pliers and grab between the "teeth" of the barrel nut and turn counter clockwise. After it breaks loose you should be able to loosen it the rest of the way by hand.
After the barrel nut is loosened all the way the barrel should slide right out of the receiver and the barrel nut can slide off of the barrel.

The barrel nut consists of four parts. The nut itself (the part with the teeth), a spring, the grip that slides over the end of the hand guard once they're locked into place, and a C ring to hold it all together. When you reassemble the front end, the notches on the grip, the C ring, and the spring have to be lined up so the gas tube can slip through the barrel nut assembly and into the receiver.

So there you have it, the idiots guide to M4/M16 front end disassembly.

Edited by Mr. Grenade, 02 June 2008 - 02:13 AM.

#5 Snippaman8

Snippaman8

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Grenade @ Jun 2 2008, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
M4 front end disassembly guide by me.
Your M4 may differ slightly, but should mostly be the same.

Start out by separating the upper receiver from the lower receiver and remove the inner barrel and hop-up unit.

Next remove the hand guard and flash hider.

After that the sling mount must be removed in order to gain access to a small set screw on the underside of the sight. Remove the set screw.

The next step is to remove the two pins on the bottom of the front sight. I pounded them out with a small Phillips head screw driver. They're usually pretty hard to get out. Try pushing them out from both sides, one way will be easier than the other.

After you finish all that you should be able to slide the front sight, the gas tube, and the front ring for the hand guard off of the barrel.

If you're looking to remove the barrel you have to unscrew the barrel nut. The best way I've found to break it loose is take a pair of needle nose pliers and grab between the "teeth" of the barrel nut and turn counter clockwise. After it breaks loose you should be able to loosen it the rest of the way by hand.
After the barrel nut is loosened all the way the barrel should slide right out of the receiver and the barrel nut can slide off of the barrel.

The barrel nut consists of four parts. The nut itself (the part with the teeth), a spring, the grip that slides over the end of the hand guard once they're locked into place, and a C ring to hold it all together. When you reassemble the front end, the notches on the grip, the C ring, and the spring have to be lined up so the gas tube can slip through the barrel nut assembly and into the receiver.

So there you have it, the idiots guide to M4/M16 front end disassembly.

having trouble here:
"If you're looking to remove the barrel you have to unscrew the barrel nut. The best way I've found to break it loose is take a pair of needle nose pliers and grab between the "teeth" of the barrel nut and turn counter clockwise. After it breaks loose you should be able to loosen it the rest of the way by hand.
After the barrel nut is loosened all the way the barrel should slide right out of the receiver and the barrel nut can slide off of the barrel."
still cant find what the barrel nut looks like, and its driving me crazy

#6 Mr. Grenade

Mr. Grenade

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (Snippaman8 @ Jun 2 2008, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
having trouble here:
"If you're looking to remove the barrel you have to unscrew the barrel nut. The best way I've found to break it loose is take a pair of needle nose pliers and grab between the "teeth" of the barrel nut and turn counter clockwise. After it breaks loose you should be able to loosen it the rest of the way by hand.
After the barrel nut is loosened all the way the barrel should slide right out of the receiver and the barrel nut can slide off of the barrel."
still cant find what the barrel nut looks like, and its driving me crazy

Yes, front end disassembly is a pain.

This is the whole barrel nut assembly broken down. If you look where the hand guard snaps into place you will see a bunch of "teeth". That is the barrel nut.

Disregard the whole needle nose pliers thing. I've found a much easier way which is pulling back the grip retainer while grabbing the barrel nut with a pair of channel locks and turning it counter-clockwise. Put a shop towel between the vise grips and the barrel nut to prevent scratching the paint.

As you can see I have the grip retainer pulled back far enough to grip the barrel nut with the channel locks.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Channel locks, not vice grips.

Edited by Mr. Grenade, 04 June 2008 - 12:15 AM.

#7 Conrad

Conrad

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:35 PM

Nice work guys.

#8 mr_kong

mr_kong
  • Interests:Your mother, among other things.
  • SOA Name: mr_kong

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

Wow, when did the TM barrel assembly change?

#9 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (master_titled @ Jun 3 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, when did the TM barrel assembly change?

That didn't look like a TM M4 to me. Looks more like a CA.

#10 mr_kong

mr_kong
  • Interests:Your mother, among other things.
  • SOA Name: mr_kong

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (OpSic66 @ Jun 3 2008, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I'm thinking... for TM's all you do is rotate the d-ring until you can see the assembly in three parts. the base, spring, and the one other part. ^_^ Then you can unscrew the base by hand.

#11 Mr. Grenade

Mr. Grenade

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:07 AM

The gun I used for the pictures was a Dboy M4. However, that's the same way my G&P M16 comes apart.

#12 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Grenade @ Jun 3 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The gun I used for the pictures was a Dboy M4. However, that's the same way my G&P M16 comes apart.
I should have known. I didn't see anything mentioned about a set screw UNDER the front sight, along with the 2 pins.

I actually posted that I thought it was a DBoys, and edited it out... *laughing

ps: Don't feel bad about using channel locks to remove the barrel nut. There's no way in heck I would pay $40 + for an M16 armorer's tool. So I use the channel lock method as well.

YES, even on my realsteel AR's.

Edited by OpSic66, 04 June 2008 - 12:11 AM.

#13 Mr. Grenade

Mr. Grenade

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:18 AM

I can't believe I just called channel locks, vice grips throughout my whole post. a-blushing.gif

#14 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Grenade @ Jun 3 2008, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't believe I just called channel locks, vice grips throughout my whole post. a-blushing.gif

a-skeptical.gif Never even noticed that....

#15 Mello

Mello

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (OpSic66 @ Jun 3 2008, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes the Classic Army delta ring assembly is different. The TM delta ring does not have teeth. You have to pull the outter ring down a tad then twist carefully.

Edited by Mello, 04 June 2008 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users