to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Airsoft Lubricants - Silicone, Grease, Etc.

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:52 PM

No, not all lubricants are the same. This is definatly true for silicone sprays.

No, not all of them are "safe" for airsoft use.

NO WD-40, liquid wrench, PB Blaster, etc... or real steel gun products! (thanks BroodRed, I forgot this one)

What do you need to know, or do about this. - Well, read below.

Silicone spray lube: Generally any should work.....
Provided - it does not contain any: petroleum distilates, petroleum by-products, Hydro-Carbons, or any harsh petroleum based products,
Such as: Hexane, Heptane, Toluene, Xylene, Ethelene, Xylol, Toluol, Naptha, benzene or any other flamable substance! (aside from the propellents listed below).

If it is using ISO-Butane, or propane "as a propellent", that is fine.

Silicone Grease: (paste, non aerosol, whatever.. - This also goes double for ANY other type of grease.)
Again, you want a grease without the same chemicals listed.
Does not contain any: petroleum distilates, petroleum by-products, Hydro-Carbons, or any harsh petroleum based products,
Such as: Hexane, Heptane, Toluene, Xylene, Ethelene, Xylol, Toluol, Naptha, benzene or any other flamable substance!

Recomended Lubes and Greases:

Permatex dielectric grease. From autozone it's 100% silicone, and 5.99 a tube. Great for cylinder/airseal components. (Thanks GoLgo 13)
Permatex white lithium grease. Again from autozone in a tube for $2.99, works great for gears.
STTi Silicone Spray Lube. From your local Airsoft shop, or even online, Amazon carries it too!

Personally I Swear by "Team Associated - Green Slime". It is meant as a silicone based shock lube, for silicone oil filled shocks. This stuff is $2.50 a tube available at most hobby stores, or online. I use it for EVERYTHING. Gears, O-Rings, Piston, Piston head.. Etc. I have found there is NO problems in doing so. I tore down my CA M15A4 <AT> 1100 rounds, to upgrade it's spring, and piston head. I used this grease. That was over 35,000 rounds ago. All the gun has ever seen is a teardown, cleaning, and re-lube.
Tower Hobbies $2.39 a tube. or RC Planet $2.35 a tube.

Something for everyone to think about... CRC's 808 "Pure Silicone Spray Lube" is:....
30-60% Liquified Petrolem Gas (LPG),
30-60% NAPTHA, You should know this is what "ronsonol" lighter fluid is made of.
10-30% Silicone. WTF.... Pure silicone spray my censored2.gif ...

What this means to you is: The petroleum byproducts, distilates, etc... They are used in the manufacture process of many plastics and rubbers. While this is not any news of shock value. What do you think will happen when you expose an item (hopup rubber, etc.) to the same chemicals used to manufacture it. Yep, you got it. It's going to change it! And not in a good way either.

While I am not completely against the use of Lithium Grease (specifically the thinner "White Lithium") variety. I believe it needs to be pointed out that it IS hygroscopic. Meaning it WILL absorb water. The bad part of this is, in doing so, the oil used to blend and thin it down gets displaced. This allows the lithium grease to thicken into a very thick paste and basically cause binding.

Also, Silicone lubricants are based off of "weight" (aka thickness). You will find everything from "0 weight" spray silicone, to upwards of 45wt shock oil. -=- I do NOT recommend using Silicone OIL's (be it spray, or drip bottle) varieties in the gearbox. Only Silicone Grease!

Cross posted with Soviet911's permission.
QUOTE (soviet911 @ Jan 31 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant test.

Table of contents

1) Chemical info of the Dupont Teflon Silicon Lubricant.
2) Analysis of Chemical compounds
3) Burn tests
4) Conclusion

1 Contents

Petroleum Distillates CAS 64742-89-8 Use- Solvent
These are very volatile and flammable, this means in theory that they evaporate and ignite easily
Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha

Propane CAS 74-98-6 self explanatory

Butane CAS 106-97-8 self explanatory

Silicone CAS 63148-62-9 regular silicone oil
Wiki http://en.wikipedia....imethylsiloxane

Teflon flourpolymer. This is like Teflon coating but the DuPont special formula, it should be good lubricant for any application as it one of the least reactive things on this planet with extremely low friction…
http://en.wikipedia....afluoroethylene

Acetone CAS 67-64-1 Extremely volatile with boiling point at 56 C 133F at 1 atm means it easily evaporates but can cause damage to plastics and rubber on contact even though unlikely. In our case its use is to dilute the silicon so it sprays out.
MSDAhttp://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/a0446.htm

Aliphatic hydrocarbon CAS 64742-47-8 wide range of boiling points and can be volatile and non volatile, it can be very reactive and not reactive at all. This poses an interesting question of it being dangerous to our airsoft guns or not. The chances of this being a non volatile substance and at the same time being reactive and degrading are very low and I would bet it is most likely something like methane which can occur in a propane butane environment.
Wiki http://en.wikipedia....phatic_compound

2 Analysis of information

1) Everything that’s not silicone or Teflon lubricants should easly evaporate or burn off.
2) Concentration of the pure lubricant (silicon Teflon solution) should be easily achieved by boiling to about 150 degrees C

3 My burn tests

Setup Aluminum can for a test surface above mentioned silicon lubricant and a bic lighter

Burning test Of DuPont Silicon lubricant

Right after
The solution easily ignited showing the presence of alcohol and acetone the solution burned until a thick oil substance left the composition is assume to be silicon oil Teflon and solvent non reactive hydrocarbon chains which would be the cause of the liquid substance. And at most 1% of any reactive volatile substances (alcohol acetone etc)
Video.

30 min after
The solution didn’t ignite and was already as previously mentioned thick oil substance when another spray of silicon oil followed the two layers didn’t inter mix and a thick and thinned out liquid were present. The liquid easily ignited as before.
Video.

Test of gun oil Silicon Spray For air gun & Model Gun Siries purchased at airsoft Gi
http://www.airsoftgi...roducts_id=3301

Airsoft oil test.
Right after spraying.
Ignited left an oily substance behind.
Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=husqVqtHHk8

4) Analysis of results

The burn test showed that all of the volatile substances easly ignite and are present in high concentration at spray signifying that the spray should NOT be used directly on only ruber/plastic part as they might get damaged, this also means spraying this lube into gas mags is not a good idea since non of the volatile hydro carbons will evaporate and will come out when you shoot possibly damaging your gun.
This test also showed that the volatile and reactive hydro carbons are easly removed through evaporation or burning off. Evaporation being the best solution.

What all this means?
Off the shelf silicon lubricants that are spray based will ALWAYS contain some thought of solvent, and in most cases they are reactive and volatile. What my tests so far showed is that most of the volatile and reactive hydro carbons and alcohols are removable, but this doesn’t mean that the final solution is pure silicone oil and still can possibly react with plastics and rubber.

I’m going use this oil to lubricate my WE 1911 and possibly cylinder in my VSS to see how well it works, and in name of science, but only after proper evaporation procedure.

Does this mean you should use it?
Its up to you, you saw the normal Pure silicon oil ignite and Dupont oil ignite what does it mean to you?
It should be noted that chemical reactions are complex and its all at your own risk.

Any concerns post here, I am going to update this with More tests hopefuly a boiling point of both oil, and IR spectra, but it depends on my free time.

See post # 75 in this thread for my comments.

Edited by OpSic66, 09 August 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#2 xsboredom

xsboredom

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:05 PM

Fantastic ;] I think this is pin worthy a-thumbsup.gif

#3 SuRgE

SuRgE

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

Ditto on the Green Slime and shock oil! Works perfectly on my setups.

Edited by SuRgE, 10 June 2008 - 10:08 PM.

#4 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (SuRgE @ Jun 10 2008, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ditto on the Green Slime and shock oil! Works perfectly on my setups.

I basically do not agree with "average airsofters", using "silicone shock oil"...

Mainly because:
People use heavy weights (0 weight is the best choice),
Tend to forget about it and not clean it up.
Tend to over apply it.

Again with proper maint jobs, this is really a non-issue. I actually use Team Associated 0 weight myself, but very sparingly.

QUOTE (xsboredom2 @ Jun 10 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fantastic ;] I think this is pin worthy a-thumbsup.gif

Thanks, but I guess the mods will see about that.

Edited by OpSic66, 10 June 2008 - 11:15 PM.

#5 BroodRed

BroodRed

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

+1 for pin.

This absolutely needs to be pinned. Several times a month, people post topics like, "omgz what lube should I uze?!" or, "airsoft silicone oil is expensive, can I use (insert 100% silicone oil brand here)?"

Oh, and NO WD-40 or real steel gun greases. I know we all know not to use it, but newer players do not.

QUOTE (Spudenater @ Jun 29 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pfft! Forget that! Printer paper, scotch tape, and a sharpie, to write 1337 hulst3r on the side...

#6 GoLgo 13

GoLgo 13

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

+1 on pin
+1 on green slime

also, permatex dielectric grease from autozone is 100% silicone and 5.99 a tube(great for cylinder/airseal components),
you can also get permatex white lithium in a tube for 2.99 for gears

look for grey tubes.

#7 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

BroodRed & GoLgo13, thanks guys I added your info.

If anyone has comments, questions, advice, ranting2.gif... You name it...

Add it to the thread, and we can go from there!

Edited by OpSic66, 11 June 2008 - 07:46 PM.

#8 skimmy518

skimmy518

I want every hollister to burn. I'm not kidding

• 878 posts
  • Interests:yelling,skimboarding, mountainboarding, surfing, building guns and pvc flamethrowers. and fish

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:50 PM

nice opsic! never again shall people ask about lube!
You guys prob havent seen me in a while, I got hit my a flatbed truck while riding my mountainboard :(

thanks to onikozah for the sweet sig
Mp5 DMR and me AUG[

#9 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

Update...

Stay the heck away,.... From any lubrication, or cleaning products that contain "Corrosion Inhibitors".

Most of them are petroleum based.

#10 BoNZi

BoNZi
  • Interests:Airsoft, Pro Gaming, Mountain Biking and the finer things in life.

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:52 PM

I got this stuff at Lowe's and its Teflon Lubricant. On the back it says safe on rubber, plastic, metal and many more items. I have used it for 2 years in my AEG's and GBB's and have had zero problems.

#11 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (IIBoOgYII @ Jul 4 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got this stuff at Lowe's and its Teflon Lubricant. On the back it says safe on rubber, plastic, metal and many more items. I have used it for 2 years in my AEG's and GBB's and have had zero problems.

Read the ingredients and THEN decide for yourself.

As I have posted in a different thread. They generally will not cause instantanious failure. They will generally cause random delayed failure for "odd" reasons.

#12 god_of_thunder

god_of_thunder
  • Interests:Airsofting (obviously)<br />Martial arts ( just started karate)<br />Soccer<br />XC Skiing<br />Lifting weights

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hey umm I know it says don't use lube with petroleum distilates adn stuff but ive heard that what those do is damage rubber hop ups, but the stuff I found in my basement has petroleum distilates but says its safe for rubber

are there still other things that could be damaged by these petroleum by products?

Thanks pyrosniper for the sig and avatar!
My Guns:
-SRC M4 CQB w/ Deans connectors, 8.4V 3300 elite battery, Prometheus 6.03mm X 363mm TBB, Big out H-nub, Systema bucking, M120 spring
-Systema '07 M4 MAX PTW =]

"May gawd have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. -Patton

#13 xpxdoo

xpxdoo
  • Interests:Airsoft.<br />First Person Shooters.<br />Money :P

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

What do you guys think about Guarder Teflon Grease?

M4 Parts | Charger | Xbox360 Controller http://www.airsoftfo...ox-t138755.html
Wellco Boots | WE HI-Capa 4.3 Elite w/ Extra Parts http://www.airsoftfo...ap-t140652.html

#14 xsboredom

xsboredom

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (xpxdoo @ Jul 24 2008, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love it a-laugh.gif

That's all I use now apart from silicon oil. I might go try that green bike one soon though.

#15 BoNZi

BoNZi
  • Interests:Airsoft, Pro Gaming, Mountain Biking and the finer things in life.

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (xpxdoo @ Jul 24 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's pretty good, but I got this stuff from NAPA Auto Parts that is non petroleum based and has silicon in it. It makes your gears glide extremely smoothly.

#16 Airsoft AK47

Airsoft AK47

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:36 PM

I've actually used liquid wrench in my Ak47 and it hasn't damaged it at all. This was 10k rounds ago and it still performs fine. I got it from my local Home Depot.

#17 CQBsr47

CQBsr47
  • Interests:Airsoft, paintball, women.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

I use a teflon impregnated PTFE grease lubricant that is meant for aluminum paintball internals and is safe on o ring rubber but it works for me, for pretty much everything from cylinders and piston heads to gears and screw threads works great, ive tested it on a 550 fps gun and high 30+ rof setups and it works great.
I do AEG gearbox work modifications/etc- good prices contact me :), shimming wiring etc.
----
http://www.airsoftfo...33-t124528.html
Big airsoft sale, check it out!
-----
http://www.airsoftfo...l#entry18025462
TM Cqb shorty AUG upgraded SMG for sale!!!
------
http://www.airsoftfo...or-t128850.html
I want your SYSTEMA turbo/magnum motor!

#18 night4x

night4x

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

is super lube safe to use? doesnt have any ingredients listed but on there webpage it says safe for plastics

#19 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (OpSic66 @ Jul 4 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read the ingredients and THEN decide for yourself.
As I have posted in a different thread. They generally will not cause instantanious failure. They will generally cause random delayed failure for "odd" reasons.
QUOTE (Airsoft AK47 @ Dec 22 2008, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've actually used liquid wrench in my Ak47 and it hasn't damaged it at all. This was 10k rounds ago and it still performs fine. I got it from my local Home Depot.
Good luck with that...

QUOTE (night4x @ Jan 4 2009, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is super lube safe to use? doesnt have any ingredients listed but on there webpage it says safe for plastics
You can check the manufacturers site for an "MSDS", which will list all the ingredients. If anything in there matches what I listed above, find something else.

IIRC, KrYpTiK on here, uses that stuff, and swears by it though.

#20 crazyairsoft3r

crazyairsoft3r

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (OpSic66 @ Jan 4 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good luck with that...

You can check the manufacturers site for an "MSDS", which will list all the ingredients. If anything in there matches what I listed above, find something else.

IIRC, KrYpTiK on here, uses that stuff, and swears by it though.

so NO vaseline???
Primary Weapon :
custom painted camo tiger Jg M4 S-system Enhanced with sling, red dot and foregrip

Sniper :
AGM MP-001 Sniper with a NCstar scope
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shotgun:
M87La

#21 coasterj21

coasterj21

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the excellent info. I actually have 3 RC cars and tubes of silicon shock oil stored in my basement. Would 20wt be an acceptable lubricant, or should I purchase 0wt?

Thanks

#22 CAINuKe

CAINuKe

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (coasterj21 @ Jan 4 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the excellent info. I actually have 3 RC cars and tubes of silicon shock oil stored in my basement. Would 20wt be an acceptable lubricant, or should I purchase 0wt?

Thanks

I think 30wt is the max you can put in it with out bogging down.(Team Associated all the way!)

Edited by CAINuKe, 04 January 2009 - 05:02 PM.

#23 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:35 PM

Don't use silicone oil. It won't stick to anything. And you DON'T need to lube your barrel or BB's.

I haven't lubed my barrel OR BB's - EVER. I do, over use the silicone lube one the FIRST pass when cleaning my barrel. So as the hopup bucking can get some on it. I then do 2-3 more passes (until the clothes start to look clean)..

#24 Shredder_SCS

Shredder_SCS

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

I have been using Super Lube Grease w/ Syncolon (PTFE) for quite a number of years and it works great! I use it for lubing the gears, cylinder (very thin film), o-rings and the outside surface of the hop bucking to keep it from drying up.

I used to spray silicone lubricant inside the barrel but it doesn't do the barrel any good. It produces a thin film which makes it tacky (in a small way) and it attracts dust particles. What I do to clean my barrel is to use a degreaser (easily removes bb residue) with some clean cotton strips until all the residue is removed. I get better results when doing this. Hope this helps... a-salute.gif

All Shredder's Concave Spacer (SCS) users and those interested are entitled to ask me questions regarding proper installation and accuracy issues.

#25 hightower

hightower

Camaro>Airsoft=no more airsoft for me

• 2,186 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Hunting, Fishing, Marksmanship (to me, that means shooting a bolt action rifle, with iron sights), training my Bird Dog

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (OpSic66 @ Jun 10 2008, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Permatex dielectric grease. From autozone it's 100% silicone, and 5.99 a tube. Great for cylinder/airseal components. (Thanks GoLgo 13)
Permatex white lithium grease. Again from autozone in a tube for $2.99, works great for gears.

So I've finally convinced myself to open up a non-lpeg gearbox. I've always been worried about screwing up my high-end gun or something.
But first I wanted to make sure I had MOST of the materials.

So I walked into Advance Auto Parts today and asked the lady at the counter where both of these items were. She immediately led me over to the grease section (first time I've been in the store so I had no idea where to go) and found both of them for me.
I paid about $9 with tax, so about $4 or so a tube.
+1 for the greases
+1 for Advance Auto Parts a-thumbsup.gif

I'm glad I found this guide because you can pay $15 online for just gear grease (on ASGI at least...) and another $15 on piston and other greases.
The point is, I saved a ton of money by buying the Permatex grease locally, and not buying brand-name greases such as CA or guarder. And by doing my own GB work, I'll save from those labor fees and whatnot.

I figured I'd put that in to show some other users how easy and efficient it is to use alternatives to brand-name stuff. Doing a tad of research will go a long way. a-thumbsup.gif
Thanks OpSic66!!!!
I like to drive.

#26 maruipro

maruipro
  • Interests:Airsofting, Guitar, Music, Girls

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:15 AM

Lets say your friend put some petroleum based white lithium grease on to their gun's gears.
Its been there for about 2 weeks.
If he cleans all of it off now, would there still be damage to the rubber stuff?? or will it be minimized?
Herrozz!

#27 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (maruipro @ Jan 26 2009, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets say your friend put some petroleum based white lithium grease on to their gun's gears.
Its been there for about 2 weeks.
If he cleans all of it off now, would there still be damage to the rubber stuff?? or will it be minimized?

Well thankfully the plastics in the gear box are pretty resilient to short term contact. I would say with a good cleaning (with again, a NON hydro-carbon based cleaning solution) would do good to get most of the harmful gunk out of there.

#28 maruipro

maruipro
  • Interests:Airsofting, Guitar, Music, Girls

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (OpSic66 @ Jan 26 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well thankfully the plastics in the gear box are pretty resilient to short term contact. I would say with a good cleaning (with again, a NON hydro-carbon based cleaning solution) would do good to get most of the harmful gunk out of there.

thanks. and one last quick question.
are piston head o-rings made of rubber or silicon, because if its made of silicon, you can put petroleum based grease on it.
just curious, not that I would do it.

And also, I already wiped out the petroleum grease in my friend's gearbox with a towel, and relubed with proper grease.

Edited by maruipro, 26 January 2009 - 11:42 PM.

Herrozz!

#29 xsboredom

xsboredom

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

I am pretty sure it is rubber.

I always clean my metal parts with automotive brake cleaner >__>; pain.gif eats through any grease .

#30 YesOfficer

YesOfficer
  • Interests:Cars, Guns, Beer

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

I just installed a new bucking and nub on my rifle, while I was out today I swung by Pep Boys to take a look at their lubricants. I tried looking for something that said 100% silicone, but the closest thing I could find was Pyroil Multi-Purpose Silicone Lubricant. It says its safe for rubber gaskets, but the ingredients listed are Heptane, Carbon Dioxide, and Dimethyl Polysiloxane.....and of course the OP said not to use stuff with Heptane. Im new to this stuff, so why does the can say safe for rubber?

#31 hanjieyu86

hanjieyu86

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:24 AM

hey I just recently used the permatex dielectric grease on 3 of my airsoft guns and all 3 immediated began having inconsistent fps. each has the symptom of sometimes shooting around 200 fps and sometimes around 300. I wiped excess grease off but it still is the same. Anyone know whats wrong?

#32 Annun Cirith

Annun Cirith
  • Interests:Airsoft, drumming, xbox360 in no particular order.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

I'm going to guess you either put too much on, or got it in a place where it's interfering with the seals somehow. This could mean either sticking together, or not allowing the parts to seal where they should, such as nozzle/hop contact or piston o-ring seals. See if there's excess and clear up the contact points.

#33 prem205

prem205

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:01 AM

So what happens if you do use some lubricant that is flamible???
Ive been using Tri-Flow which is the lube that ive always used in paintball guns, which is fine on plastic and rubber as it is mostly used on orings on a bolt in a paintball gun.

So the can says it contains Hydro-Carbons and is flamible...is it bad for an airsoft gun?

#34 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (prem205 @ Feb 15 2009, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what happens if you do use some lubricant that is flamible???
Ive been using Tri-Flow which is the lube that ive always used in paintball guns, which is fine on plastic and rubber as it is mostly used on orings on a bolt in a paintball gun.

So the can says it contains Hydro-Carbons and is flamible...is it bad for an airsoft gun?

Use your better judgment. Your gearbox contains an electrical contact, that produces a spark. I'll bet if you check that can, it says keep away from open flame / sparks.

#35 prem205

prem205

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (OpSic66 @ Feb 15 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Use your better judgment. Your gearbox contains an electrical contact, that produces a spark. I'll bet if you check that can, it says keep away from open flame / sparks.

Alright, I guess no Triflow then. I always thought all canned sprays say that because its pressurized.

but I just sprayed some on the floor and threw a match in it, and damn...erupted in flames....

So this is the correct lube right: http://www.autozone....oductDetail.htm

Back says it contains: Polydimethylsiloxane and Amorphous silica

Edited by prem205, 15 February 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#36 Stealthmaster14

Stealthmaster14
  • Interests:airsoft, basketball, video games, guitar, tennis

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

I have white lithium grease from homedepot and it says petroleum based. (Huge black tube) I've been using it for a while on the gears and I haven't had problem. There is even some that got on the tappet plate and I haven't noticed anything abnormal.

http://www.nanaimoma...s/LUB11354.jpeg

tube on the far right

Edited by Stealthmaster14, 20 February 2009 - 02:16 PM.

Custom JG G36K-Madbull 6.03mm 363mm tightbore, Falcon 70 degree bucking, Deans, Guarder spring guide, Guarder SP110, Element POM bearing piston head, #14 O ring, longer air nozzle, SRC type 0 cylinder, dream army 7mm bushings, AOE adjusted
Youtube channel-http://www.youtube.com/user/Stealthmaster15?feature=mhum

Airsoft is pretend war, but for big boys

#37 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

While Lithium Grease works. I personally do not prefer it.

While white lithium grease is not known to be "Hygroscopic", I know for a fact it is not a water displacing lubricant. Now this causes 2 problems.

1: Lithium can thicken, and the oil will leach from it. Leaving the lithium in a very cake like paste.
2: it allows water retention, which can and WILL speed up electrolytic reactions between the various metal differences in the gearbox. (side note: This is why I am STRONGLY against copper shims, on a steel gear shaft, against a steel bushing, in a zinc alloy gearbox - Combinations of metals from different family's create a battery like atmosphere when mixed with certain chemicals, and even the moisture in the air).

#38 Stealthmaster14

Stealthmaster14

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

White Lithium seems to repel water fairly well in my experience. AZ is incredibly dry though, so moisture isn't an issue.

So are you saying that it can ignite inside the gearbox or what?

Edited by Stealthmaster14, 20 February 2009 - 10:35 PM.

Custom JG G36K-Madbull 6.03mm 363mm tightbore, Falcon 70 degree bucking, Deans, Guarder spring guide, Guarder SP110, Element POM bearing piston head, #14 O ring, longer air nozzle, SRC type 0 cylinder, dream army 7mm bushings, AOE adjusted

#39 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (Stealthmaster14 @ Feb 20 2009, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
White Lithium seems to repel water fairly well in my experience. AZ is incredibly dry though, so moisture isn't an issue.

So are you saying that it can ignite inside the gearbox or what?

Anything that is flammable, can always be ignited. The "flash point" is what is important. As for Lithium Grease, yeah it can be ignited. It would definitely take some doing to get that to happen. But items that are HIGH in content of Hydro Carbons, or other flammable substances will have a warning on the container about open flame or sparks.

#40 Stealthmaster14

Stealthmaster14

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but correct me if I'm wrong, thousands of airsofters use white lithium on their gearboxes (and several people use copper shims) and I have never heard of failure. The sparks are inside the "contact box" and it would it be pretty insane if a spark somehow managed to leap out and ignite the grease.

I'm not really worried about it. If it somehow managed to ignite, the worst that could happen would be the gearbox would be damaged. I doubt the fire would be strong enough to burn through the shell. lol

thanks for the heads up though. I would use alternatives, but being a minor (and not being to obtain a license yet), a job isn't really ideal right now especially since I'm busy with school, so money is tight with me. White lithium is dirt cheap and you get a butt load.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users