to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo

Crosman R71

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Akuma

Akuma

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

Crosman Pulse R71

AEG with 600 round hopper, fires full or semi auto at 200fps
Includes gun, charger, strap, battery, and 500 rounds of junk BB's.
Retails for 40 bills at any Wal-Mart.

Sorry, no images the only one I found was here http://www.walmart.c...?...alse&type=0 and I couldn't post it. Something about dynamic images.

Right. So, I had fifty dollars to spend on a new air rifle, so I went to the local hardcore sporting goods shop, but sadly the Sig 552 AEG I was after had sold. So, off to Wal-Mart, the source of all evil, where I happened upon a meager selection of weaponry, all Crosman. I bought the R71, obviously, and opened it up as soon as I got to the car. I was immediately dissapointed to find that the magazine is a battery, and that the ammunition loads in a hopper, which, of all places, is the scope.

LOOKS
The Pulse R71 is in all actuality an MP5 A4, with an accessory cage. Apparently Crosman didn't get the licensing, but they did a good job. The rifle is beautiful, with or without the cage. Every detail of the real MP5 is reproduced, however the weapon specs inlaid in the sides are obviously for the airgun and not the real gun. The clip release, safety, and sights are all just like the real steel, though the adjustable back sight isn't adjustable (more on that later).
It comes stock with a clear body and suppressor and a black stock and accessory cage. I don't know about you but I don't care about federal law when it comes to my rifles, no cops are going to turn up on my property, and I do a lot of night fighting, so I spray all my guns black. Actually, I hit them with black, then silver, then black again, for an attractive wear pattern.

FEATURES
Included are a suppressor, a useless scope, and a strap. I was unhappy to find that the strapmounts are for right handed shooters only, and can't be moved, but it isn't a hard fix and I rarely use a strap anyway. The stock is removable, but not folding, which I would have preffered. The suppressor screws on and off, like the real deal, however I found that mine angled slightly upwards when fully tightened, and if I left it loose enough to remain level, it would rotate itself and fall out with a bit of vigorous running.
The battery, instead of getting its own compartment, is the entire magazine. This is good and bad. First, I don't like it, because I am what you would call a purist. I chose airsoft over paintball because I like that airguns look, feel, and handle like real guns. I firmly enjoy the feeling of slamming a fresh magazine into my gun. I don't like hoppers. However, because it takes four hours to fully charge the battery, I like the idea of carrying spares. A full charge is good for about 2000 rounds, after which there is a noticeable decline in firepower, and I play a lot of extended (2+ days) games. It is much easier to switch clips than, say, to remove and replace the six AA's my M4 requires.
I don't use the suppressor, not only because it doesn't fit quite right but also because I prefer the snub nose. It's a lot faster to bring the gun to bear without the suppressor on it, and I fight in tight quarters a good bit.

As I stated, the magazine in this gun is the battery. So where does it load? The scope. Yes, the scope. The top sighting knob pulls back to open the hopper, which holds 600 rounds. Loading the hopper is as easy as dumping your 2000 count BB bottle in the hole. This is convenient, I guess, but I prefer magazines. The one feature I like about the loading mechanism is that the cocking lever is active. The hopper tends to clog, much like the nozzle of said 2000 count bottle. When this happens, you just pull the cocking pin and you're set to shoot. I make it a habit to do this every five or six bursts, and as a result, I rarely clog or jam.
Alsio, the BB's rattle a LOT, making stealth operations that much more difficult. I've learned to keep them quiet, but you can only move so fast without making a ton of noise.
The real problem here is that there is NO WAY TO AIM THE GUN. The rail sights are blocked by the scope, which is full of BB's. So, you have to walk your shots almost every time. There is hope! Read on...

FIRING
Alright, 200fps isn't great but it isn't anything to laugh at either. On full auto you fire three rounds per second (I almost always fire three shot bursts). The range is impressive for a 200fps gun, my buddy still felt the hits at thirty yards. The hop is rather much, but the backspin doesn't really kick in for about thirty feet so at close or mid range your shots will land where you want them to.
The accuracy is fairly dependable, the aiming is intuitive, even without sights or a scope, aiming by ear isn't hard. You get a feel for it within minutes of shooting. On semi auto, the consistency is pretty tight, every shot landing within a couple inches of its compatriots. On full auto it's a different story, my three round bursts usually land in a one foot circle at 25 feet, and a three foot circle at 50 feet. This isn't bad for suppressing a wide area or charging a location, but I'd reccomend sticking to semi auto in any other situation.
The trigger sensitivity is pretty low, you have to squeeze it almost all the way back to fire, but I like it that way as I tend to have an itchy trigger finger.

RECOMMENDED UPGRADES
I pulled a scope off my brother's .22 and mounted it on the side of the hopper, after I sighted it in at 50 feet I found it to be very dependable. I plan on buying a laser to mount under the barrel, and I also might buy a red dot to either replace the scope I have or mount elsewhere on the cage. If you want a strap don't use the one that comes with it without replacing the snaps, they break easily. Again, if you shoot lefty, you'll have to engineer your own strap mounts.

OVERALL
6 out of 10. For the price, it isn't a terrible starter gun, however if you play seriously, you will need to invest some work and a few bucks in a scope. I doubt I will use this gun much once I find a nice Sig or a more traditional MP5, but I won't sell it. I usually carry this, my M4, and my Desert Eagle, and more and more I find myself using the M4 as a secondary weapon whilst relying almost wholly on the MP5. The last take and hold we played, I held our position using nothing but the MP5. Of course when they got in close I switched to my sidearm because I didn't have time to reload my rifles, but that's another story...

#2 Capt. Shadow

Capt. Shadow

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

don't buy the Crosman Pulse R71. it's mag is a battery, its gravity fed and it dosn't shoot far. I got it for crhistmas and it stinks, it only shoots about 15 feet and my friends got it too and theres do the same. I say its a waste of fourty dollers.

#3 floivanus

floivanus

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:35 AM

honestly they aren't a terrible LPEG. man for backyard skirmishing in a t-shirt they are tops, definately a lot better than a ten dollar springer pistol!

I've had mine for about five years now, impulse buy. but hey, honestly it STILL works, probably only shot a few thousand rounds out of it though. and the range isn't only 15 feet.

for forty bucks you won't do much better unless you get a pump action shotty

#4 Jamesairsoft

Jamesairsoft
  • Interests:I love airsoft, building sweet stuff, and having a good time with friends.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

I converted mine into a browning m1919A1 no joke. :)

#5 SupraAddict

SupraAddict
  • SOA Name: SupraAddict

• My Temperament:3,10,8,3

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (Jamesairsoft @ Jan 9 2011, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pics? a-cheesy.gif
Socom Gear M9A1
Cyma M14
JG G36K

#6 Linglingjr

Linglingjr
  • Interests:track, cross country, distance running, airsoft, gaming(PSN:linglingjr), eating food
  • SOA Name: linglingjr

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Jamesairsoft @ Jan 9 2011, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you should make a thread about that a-laugh.gif
QUOTE (Deadlyapollo @ Jan 11 2010, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Add a mock suppressor and it sounds like a potato hitting a small child without the screams of pain, just the thud.
QUOTE (_possible__sniper_)
I have a l96 sniper upgraded with a 4x32 scope which has like 600-650 fps
IF YA WANNA JUST VEIW ITS FINE BY ME BUT ID LIKE SOME REPLIES THANK YA
QUOTE (spectrum421)
guys setle down, this is a chat room not a bar.

#7 Jamesairsoft

Jamesairsoft
  • Interests:I love airsoft, building sweet stuff, and having a good time with friends.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (Linglingjr @ Jan 9 2011, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you should make a thread about that a-laugh.gif

The project is not completely done. The sheet metal being used still needs reinforcing, and the barrel spacers need to be extended a bit, along with a good metallic paint finish. When the project is done, (which should take one or two more months,) I'll be sure to make a topic including some pics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users