to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

M14 Into The Role Of A Sniper.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Fatboy

Fatboy
  • Interests:Skateboarding, airsoft, guns, music...

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

I'm thinking about making my M14 into a sniper rifle, and I know that I'll need to do more than buy a scope and mount for it.
I've got an m110 spring in it and a 6.04 TB in it, so what else would I need to make it into a better sniper rifle? It is an AEG, but it is an M14. Only a few internal upgrades, not a whole lot. But whatever you guys think would help is appreciated.
>>>Cyma M14(black, not brown)<<<

>>>Echo 1 M16a3<<<

>>>UTG M3 Tri shot<<<

Soldier for the Lord.

#2 rifleman22

rifleman22

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:55 PM

well it depends on how good you want it to be and how much you want to spend

an M14 is a very good AEG to turn into a sniper but it will be expensive to turn into a good sniper

this DMR list might help
http://www.airsoftfo...howtopic=113880

#3 theyoungone10

theyoungone10
  • Interests:I really enjoy playing baseball and basketball for my high school. I'm also a very good student taking a heavy dose of IB classes for my upcoming senior year. I don't skirmish but I love to tinker with gas guns and hope to join POR one day or start competing in IPSC whether it be airsoft or reel steel.
  • SOA Name: theyoungone10

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:55 PM

Well when I had my budget DMR thread. My base gun was a CYMA M14.

You'll probobly want an m120, metal spring guide, a prommy or DBC TBB, shims, bushings, polycarb piston and head. Oh and a Mosfet. Duh a firefly hop up bucking.

That'll give you a good start.

If you want to be a True DMR then you can go.

go to a m150, add triple torque gears, a systema magnum. I am probobly missing something. New hop up chamber.

Edited by theyoungone10, 31 July 2008 - 10:22 PM.

QUOTE (MARSOCdoc @ Apr 5 2011, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate aeg's more than I hate terrorists.... and trust me I HATE terrorists....

Props to Koper

#4 Fatboy

Fatboy

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

Not really a DM kind of guy. Got the Cyma M14. I've got the metal spring guide in it, metal bushings and a pretty good shim job already. The 6.04 TB and metal bushings came stock. What in the world is a Mosfet anyway?
Could a firefly bucking and new piston set give me some more range? Not necessarily a true DM or a true Sniper, but still be able to used as either one?

>>>Echo 1 M16a3<<<

>>>UTG M3 Tri shot<<<

Soldier for the Lord.

#5 theyoungone10

theyoungone10
  • Interests:I really enjoy playing baseball and basketball for my high school. I'm also a very good student taking a heavy dose of IB classes for my upcoming senior year. I don't skirmish but I love to tinker with gas guns and hope to join POR one day or start competing in IPSC whether it be airsoft or reel steel.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

Get the bucking for sure. Then get the polycarb piston and piston head. Then a m120.

Props to Koper

#6 TripolisUnited

TripolisUnited

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

The thing is, with an AEG, you have full auto and semi auto capability. DMRs make great use of that, and those capabilities should never be wasted when they are available. A sniper is more of a one shot deal thing, you need a supremely accurate gun for that. Those don't come cheap regardless.
Right place, right time, right uniform makes a stellar cadet.

"Cold is a state of mind" - Someone who obviously brought there polypros...

"Are you a member of Bin Laden?" - Realsword Representative

In response to my question to wether or not Norinco provided RealSword with airsoft bodies, RealSword sent me a very nasty and angry email accusing me of affiliation with terrorism and lack of honour and faith in the FBI (?), called me a liar and constantly asked me exactly who I was, but assured me that Norinco didn't make the bodies for the airsoft guns...PM me if you want to read the message.

Everything in life is easy after you've wrestled - Dan Gable

#7 Fatboy

Fatboy

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

Yeah, that's true. I just want my gun to be able to shoot far and accurately, also to be in good shape for a long time.

>>>Echo 1 M16a3<<<

>>>UTG M3 Tri shot<<<

Soldier for the Lord.

#8 TripolisUnited

TripolisUnited

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

Well in that case, all the things that have been suggested will help. If the Tightbore Barrel came stock yo may want to get a new one. Perhaps a Prommy or a DB, as someone already said. A new bucking for your hop-up will help too. A higher powered spring will give you more range (not as much as a better hop-up unit though), and using heavier BBs will give you more accuracy.

In response to my question to wether or not Norinco provided RealSword with airsoft bodies, RealSword sent me a very nasty and angry email accusing me of affiliation with terrorism and lack of honour and faith in the FBI (?), called me a liar and constantly asked me exactly who I was, but assured me that Norinco didn't make the bodies for the airsoft guns...PM me if you want to read the message.

#9 Guest_OpSic66_*

Guest_OpSic66_*

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (TripolisUnited @ Aug 1 2008, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is, with an AEG, you have full auto and semi auto capability. DMRs make great use of that, and those capabilities should never be wasted when they are available. A sniper is more of a one shot deal thing, you need a supremely accurate gun for that. Those don't come cheap regardless.

The problem is, many fields have or are starting to adopt Sniper limits for DMR's. Which means you can not use Full auto, and it must be disabled.

#10 TripolisUnited

TripolisUnited

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (OpSic66 @ Aug 2 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem is, many fields have or are starting to adopt Sniper limits for DMR's. Which means you can not use Full auto, and it must be disabled.

Ouch, thats a shame. I don't have that where I play...

#11 runswithbeer

runswithbeer

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (rifleman22 @ Jul 31 2008, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
an M14 is a very good AEG to turn into a sniper but it will be expensive to turn into a good sniper

Where would you fit the brain?

#12 Fatboy

Fatboy

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:41 PM

Here in Fort Myers, we don't have fields. Hah, we have paintball fields and shops, but no airsoft fields and shops. So it's just a large group of friends and I who play with our own set rules. But the TB is good enough for me right now. I was thinking about getting a new one for my birthday or something, like a 6.03 or a 6.02 for it.
I never use full auto with my M14, it just seems unnecessary. I didn't want to go above an m110 because an m120 would probably mess up my gears with that much force behind it. They're only stock Cyma gears, so I'm cautious with them.

Where would you fit the brain? ...Lost me here...

Edited by Fatboy, 02 August 2008 - 01:53 PM.

>>>Echo 1 M16a3<<<

>>>UTG M3 Tri shot<<<

Soldier for the Lord.

#13 Dragon M.

Dragon M.

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

The Xin Yan Tai gears that CYMA uses have been reported to be able to pull up to M150s without a problem. It's probably a load of bullocks, but I've been using an ~M120 spring in my CYMA with stock piston and stock gears for a while with no wear so that should be no problem.
And since you're only going to be using semi, there really is no risk in doing it.

Also... sniper = person. Sniper rifle = gun. That might lead you in the right direction.

Edited by Dragon M., 02 August 2008 - 02:49 PM.

#14 theyoungone10

theyoungone10

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:10 PM

They are making fun of you because you said sniper and not sniper rifle. Also the stock gears should pull an m120 fine if shimmed well.

Props to Koper

#15 TripolisUnited

TripolisUnited

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

I honestly find it much more pathetic that you guys are making fun of this guy for leaving out ONE word than the fact that he left the word out.

#16 Fatboy

Fatboy

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:44 AM

I didn't even know they we're making fun of me. If I did, I would've been giving it back to them pretty harshly, but it's alright.
And wow, an m150? That seems like a little much. Maybe an m130, but not an m150. Thanks for the info, though. Maybe when I need to replace the spring, I'll get an M120 for it, get a little more kick in it.

>>>Echo 1 M16a3<<<

>>>UTG M3 Tri shot<<<

Soldier for the Lord.

#17 BoNZi

BoNZi
  • Interests:Airsoft, Pro Gaming, Mountain Biking and the finer things in life.

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

M120 and tightbore and you will be fine. But if you want sniper like trigger response, get a basic MOSFET from me for $15, and a 11.1v LiPo battery.

#18 wdahm519

wdahm519
  • Interests:Girls, Cars, snowboarding, skating (extreme inline), motorcycles, airsoft yeah.

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

Well this is what I have in my M21 (which is basically an M14 "sniper rifle", more like a designated marksman rifle)

TM Based M14, not so many TM parts left..

Internals:
- Guarder FTK (which includes...)
- SP120 Spring
- Polycarbonate Piston
- Air Seal Nozzle
- Ball Bearing Spring Guide
- Polycarbonate Ventilation Piston Head
- Stainless Cylinder Head
- Lucid Chromium Plating Cylinder
- Original Type Steel Gear
- Enhanced Tappet
- 6mm Steel Bushing
- Shim Set
- Guarder Cut Off Lever
- PDI 190% Spring
- SystemA Magnum Motor
- DB Customs 6.01 TB

Externals:
- Guarder RAS
- Madbull Foam Filled Quicksilver Suppressor
- Harris Style Bipod (forgot company..)
- Blackhawk Cheekpiece
- RS QD Throw Lever 30mm scope rings with 25mm insterts
- 3-9x50 Red/Green Illuminated Rangefinder Scope

Other modifications:
- Bolt catch mod :)
- Semi-auto only
- Removal of Selector and Selector Bracket (not pictured)

With the magnum motor and the 190% spring, the trigger response is lightening fast. Its under 0.1 seconds. FPS wise, its around 430, but I haven't had a chance to chrono it yet. With .28's it can hit tight groupings at about 70-75 yards effectively. The foam filled quicksilver suppressor keeps the entire thing dead quiet. From 15 feet away, its nearly silent.

You can probably use this as a guide if you want.

Edited by wdahm519, 03 August 2008 - 03:02 PM.

#19 BoNZi

BoNZi

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (wdahm519 @ Aug 3 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well this is what I have in my M21 (which is basically an M14 "sniper rifle", more like a designated marksman rifle)

Internals:
- Guarder FTK (which includes...)
- SP120 Spring
- Polycarbonate Piston
- Air Seal Nozzle
- Ball Bearing Spring Guide
- Polycarbonate Ventilation Piston Head
- Stainless Cylinder Head
- Lucid Chromium Plating Cylinder
- Original Type Steel Gear
- Enhanced Tappet
- 6mm Steel Bushing
- Shim Set
- Guarder Cut Off Lever
- PDI 190% Spring
- SystemA Magnum Motor
- DB Customs 6.01 TB

With all of those parts I'm surprised you haven't bought a MOSFET.

Edited by IIBoOgYII, 03 August 2008 - 10:05 PM.

#20 Guest_OpSic66_*

Guest_OpSic66_*

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (wdahm519 @ Aug 3 2008, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

- RS QD Throw Lever 30mm scope rings with 25mm insterts

I want a better photo, and or more info on the rings, and rear block mount.

+1 to the mosfet comment from IIBoOgYII.

#21 BoNZi

BoNZi

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:14 PM

I like the build though it looks really nice, but a couple angles and I would like to see how it camofluages with the environment.

A Basic MOSFET from me is $15 and a AB one is $25, PM me if you are interested wdahm519.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users