to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Version 1 Gearbox Walkthrough

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 D0096F

D0096F
  • Interests:airsoft

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

It's finally here! Over a decade since it's first release and still no literature on disassembly? Well, the wait is up. I give you the long promised, though hardly anticipated, version 1 gearbox guide!

The version 1 gearbox is the first AEG gearbox ever released. Almost exclusive to the Tokyo Marui FA-MAS, the version 1 gearbox is an antique, though NOT a pushover. In my opinion it is the easiest gearbox to work on and a great platform for a beginning airsmith to start on.

I assume you can get the gearbox out yourself, so I'll skip the FA-MAS disassembly and move straight to the gearbox guide. (FA-MAS disassembly can be found here: http://www.arniesair...e...7&hl=carson)

Takedown

The version 1 gearbox is a bulky beast, designed for the FA-MAS the engineers had plenty of room to play around with.

Newer models of the TM FA-MAS come with a "high torque" version of the eg560 which was a weak motor to begin with. The new motor can pull an M120 (albeit with a lower rof) and I've been told it can pull upwards of an M140 (with a larger battery) BUT a custom machined anti-reversal latch will be required and it'd be a good idea to rewire.

To begin dissembly of the gearbox you must first remove the motor tabs on either side of the motor. First you must unbend the metal tab located in the notch on the left side of the back of the gearbox shell.

Then you simply pull out both tabs with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Once the tabs are out, remove all the screws holding the two halves together. You will need a torque screw driver.

Edited by D0096F, 05 October 2008 - 12:55 AM.

BR55 Project (WIP) l TM FA-MAS SV review l Version 1 Gearbox Guide

AEG and sniper rifle repairs, mods and upgrades: $20 base service fee PM me for additional details.

#2 D0096F

D0096F

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

Next, slide a flat head screwdriver in between the two halves of the shell to hold down the spring. Once you've got the spring pinned pull the top half (right half) of the bottom half (left half) of the shell.

You're now inside the gearbox, it should look like this:

Now to acquaint you with the parts...and some upgrades!

The first piece is the spring guide. It is suspended above the side of the shell by slipping into a notch in a protruding piece of metal, like so...

The stock spring guide is made of plastic and is fairly flimsy in my opinion.

AEG and sniper rifle repairs, mods and upgrades: $20 base service fee PM me for additional details.

#3 D0096F

D0096F

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

It can be replaced with a v3 spring guide, with a (mm) bolt screwed into the back and lock-tited into place in the spring guide. You now have a metal one identical to the design of the plastic one. It can be slipped in and out of that notch for upgrades, repairs, etc.

Next is the piston, the head pictured is NOT the original head, but the body is the same. To remove the original head I had to drill out the screw in the middle of the front of the piston head hidden under the plastic. Any normal piston head can replace the stock one.

This is the cylinder and cylinder head, it is a type 0 sized cylinder.

Next is the tappet plate and air nozzle. I have not had to change mine, but I don't think that they are interchangeable with others (not positive on this one), so keep these parts safe!

These are the gears. They are high speed gears and are a little brittle, they can be replaced by any normal set of gears. Make sure to shim the gears just like a normal gearbox.

This is the anti-reversal latch. It is 100% unique to this gearbox and is impossible to find a replacement for. Do NOT lose this piece. In high fps set-ups (400fps+) this piece will not function properly, you'll have to machine yourself a replacement one.

If you look closer at the picture you can see the bushings (little round things where the gear axles fit in). The best bushings to replace the nylon ones with are echo1 metal bushings (fit better than others because they are slightly smaller). If they're a tight fit you can freeze them overnight and use a piece of wood and a mallet to hammer them in.

Lastly we have the trigger mechanism, to make contact, you simply pull forward on the shaft. This part is also unique to the version 1 gearbox.

To reassemble the gearbox just repeat the steps above in reverse.

#4 OpSic66

OpSic66

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:57 PM

Awesome!

I would love to move this right away, but I want it to get some clicks on it first.

#5 BushmanSniper

BushmanSniper
  • Interests:airsoft...weight lifting...formula 1...drag racing

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:03 AM

WOW....havent seen one of these in a very long time...nice breakdown---nominated for pin
>INSERT AN APPROPRIATE SIGNATURE HERE< P.S........use your imaginations people lulz

#6 Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:42 AM

Great job, thanks for posting.
-No Signature

#7 NGOB

NGOB

The New Guy on the Block isn't so new anymore...

• Forum Administrator
  • 6,855 posts
  • Interests:I love to drive and work on SAAB cars<br /><br />Alumni of the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology **RANKED BEST HIGH SCHOOL IN THE US BY USNEWS**<br /><br />Undergraduate Industrial Systems Engineering at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

Great job! We'll get some moderators to approve your guide, and then we'll pin this guide up for everyone to use. Again, great job with the walkthrough!

#8 KhaosAwakened

KhaosAwakened

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

how many motors have they made for this version box? It doesnt look like it would take a long, medium or a short type.

#9 D0096F

D0096F

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (KhaosAwakened @ Oct 5 2008, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how many motors have they made for this version box? It doesnt look like it would take a long, medium or a short type.

The only motor that this box can take is the eg560 unless you heavily modify the shell and add some L brackets to take a short style motor (which someone on arnies actually did)

#10 gumbum8

gumbum8

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

Awesome guide props to ya a-thumbsup.gif
...Just wondering, where can you even get v.1 gearboxes though? and if you got it, what could you really use it for?
...If I see a picture of your gun...
I might compliment ur carpet!

#11 D0096F

D0096F

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (gumbum8 @ Oct 29 2008, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome guide props to ya a-thumbsup.gif
...Just wondering, where can you even get v.1 gearboxes though? and if you got it, what could you really use it for?

The FA-MAS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users