to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Can A Large 8.4 Put Out More Volts Than A Small 9.6

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Airsoft1117

Airsoft1117

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

Well I am in the market looking for a new battery, and I was wondering wither I should go and get a new small 9.6 volt battery, for a nice little boost in ROF or should I just get another Large 8.4 volt with a larger mah. If I was to get a 9.6 I would have to get a new charger since mine only supports up to 7 cells. Also I have a fullstock m4 and reading some things, I don't think that a large 9.6 volt will be able to fit. So I was wondering if a high quality large 8.4 can put out more volts than a small 9.6

Current Loadout G&G M4 R16, JG MP5A4 and KWC 1911

#2 Kobun

Kobun
  • Interests:I like airsoft and kendo.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

Large 8.4v and small 9.6v have almost identical performance. Not a big difference at all. Go with the 8.4v large ;] Way too much of a hassle to get the 9.6v as you'll also have to buy a new charger.. and in the end it's not much of a difference in performance.

#3 Airsoft1117

Airsoft1117

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

Ok thanks I also have the benifit of getting more mah with a large battery so it seem like it would be the right thing to go with the large 8.4

However I have another question, which is "can a large 9.6 fit into a m4 full stock?"

#4 Kobun

Kobun
  • Interests:I like airsoft and kendo.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (Airsoft1117 @ Dec 8 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok thanks I also have the benifit of getting more mah with a large battery so it seem like it would be the right thing to go with the large 8.4

However I have another question, which is "can a large 9.6 fit into a m4 full stock?"

Nope. You will not be able to.

#5 ah dinosaur!

ah dinosaur!

Invest, Repair, Sell, Repeat

• Authorized Seller Free
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:I've just gotten into actual airsoft gaming, and I'm quite enjoying it. I do still enjoy 'chairsofting' and the part of airsoft away from the field. I sell A LOT of stuff, check out my sales.
  • SOA Name: ah dinosaur

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

whoa, let's stop this fallacy before it gets too far. an 8.4v WILL NOT give the same voltage as a 9.6v. 9.6 volts is greater than 8.4 volts no matter how big or small the cells are. It's the number of cells that determines the voltage.

airsoft cells are 1.2v each. bigger cells only mean they have more capacity.

and as far as I know, you actually can fit a 9.6v large. It's the 10.8v you'll have trouble with.

Edited by ah dinosaur!, 08 December 2008 - 09:43 PM.

Check my Sales!
QUOTE (NUSCerick @ Dec 31 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you snipe, or actually play airsoft...

#6 Airsoft1117

Airsoft1117

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:48 PM

True that they are different cells, but I have a small type Tenergy 8.4v and compared to my large 8.4v it has a much slower rate of fire

#7 Black Bullet

Black Bullet

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

The larger cells for some reason do put out a few more volts but over all the 9.6v will shoot faster. I'v got an intellect 9.6 2000 mah which reads 10.6v fully charged and my friend has a 9.6v 4200 mah which reads 11.2v.

#8 ah dinosaur!

ah dinosaur!

Invest, Repair, Sell, Repeat

• Authorized Seller Free
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:I've just gotten into actual airsoft gaming, and I'm quite enjoying it. I do still enjoy 'chairsofting' and the part of airsoft away from the field. I sell A LOT of stuff, check out my sales.
  • SOA Name: ah dinosaur

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (Airsoft1117 @ Dec 8 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True that they are different cells, but I have a small type Tenergy 8.4v and compared to my large 8.4v it has a much slower rate of fire

let's compare apples to apples here. there are variation between the qualities of different brand and between specific batteries.

QUOTE (Black Bullet @ Dec 8 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The larger cells for some reason do put out a few more volts but over all the 9.6v will shoot faster. I'v got an intellect 9.6 2000 mah which reads 10.6v fully charged and my friend has a 9.6v 4200 mah which reads 11.2v.

all airsoft cells are advertised to be 1.2v, but most tend to come in at great than that in the total V as you have shown. larges do tend to come in a little hotter than smalls, but I think they keep it at a relative 1.2v for simplicity and the fact the that difference is quite minimal
Check my Sales!
QUOTE (NUSCerick @ Dec 31 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you snipe, or actually play airsoft...

#9 NightWolf

NightWolf
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Airsoft, R/C Jets, R/C Aerobatic Planes, R/C Cars, R/C Helicopters, Ham Radio, PC Gaming, Guitar, Motorcycles, High Power Rocketry, Archery, Golf, Woodcrafting

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:28 AM

A 9.6v battery will have a higher standing voltage than any 8.4v pack. If correctly selected for the rifle, a 9.6v battery of the equal capacity will have better performance over an equivelant 8.4v version. If, however, you compare a smaller capacity 9.6v battery to a larger capacity 8.4v pack, your results may differ. This has nothing to do with pack voltage though, at least not directly. The 8.4v pack does not store a higher voltage than the 9.6v pack...this can never be true; it only stores more capacity. However, when any battery is plugged into a load, in this case the gun is considered the load, the pack's voltage will drop under load. A smaller, possibly undersized 9.6v pack put under a strenuous load, such as a stock or modified rifle, could have its voltage drop below that of the larger 8.4v pack, as the small pack is attempting to supply the gun with the current it needs to fire. Larger capacity batteries are less altered by this effect, so they maintain their voltage under load better than smaller packs.

So it has nothing to do with pack voltage. It is all to do with the available current the pack can supply, as well as the amount of load your rifle puts on the battery pack.

Edited by NightWolf, 10 December 2008 - 08:28 AM.

#10 Clinton

Clinton

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

Volts give a higher rate of fire, amps tell you how long the battery will last. When fully charged the 8.4 will not have as high rof as the 9.6, but it may seems like the 8.4 is better because it hold its charge longer. Regardless, the 9.6 will have a higher rof as long as it has charge.

#11 DM Hackle

DM Hackle
  • Interests:Airsoft

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

it cannot put more volts, but it can produce a higher output rate leading to more power.

Just so everyone is clear, polymer is just a fancy name for plastic.

#12 mr_kong

mr_kong
  • Interests:Your mother, among other things.
  • SOA Name: mr_kong

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

Depends on the discharge rate.

#13 night4x

night4x

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

depends on discharge. If you get a crappy 9.6 mini and a super amazing awsome 8.4 large then the 8.4 would probably be better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users