to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo

Tokyo Marui Meu 1911

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheHamburglar13

TheHamburglar13

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

Alright so after owning a TM original Colt 1911 for 2 years, I decided to give it to my son, and start looking fr a new secondary. After trying various glocks and sigs, I decided the only handgun right for me was the good old 1911, however I did not want the bog standard version. Enter the TM MEU 1911.

Real steel
(Taken from wiki)

The MEU(SOC) pistol, officially designated Pistol, Caliber .45, MEU(SOC), is an air-cooled, magazine-fed, recoil-operated, single-action, semiautomatic handgun chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge. It is based on the original M1911 design by John Browning, and has been the standard-issue side arm for the Force Recon Element of the United States Marine Corps' Marine Expeditionary Units from 1985 to today.
Slides were ordered from Springfield Armory, with front sight pins, beavertail safeties and recoil spring guides came from Ed Brown. Novak was contracted for rear sights, Wilson Combat provided extractors and mag release buttons, while King's Gun Works supplied ambidextrous thumb safeties.

Ok the box

Very nice looking, with a tan finish and the majority of it being covered with a USMC EGA, and "M.E.U Pistol Pistol, caliber 45. MEU (SOC)" written on it other than that it includes a list of facts on the real steel and a
small picture showing the licensed NOVAK sights.

What you get

Inside the box is the gun, one 28rd magazine a small green box with markings trying to show that it is carrying some 45 ACP rounds, and a a plastic bag.

In the bag, you have your manual, which has a bunch of real steel info on the front, which has the basic stuff on the gun and how to operate it. (all in Japanese)
Some targets and TM catalog, and an unjaming rod.

Inside that small green box is a small bag of .2g bb's, a bushing wrench (can be used in disassembly and magazine loading) ,and a rubber muzzle cap.

(Note: the bb's are missing because they had already been shot at this point)

The magazine

Included with the gun is one very high quality 28rd magazine made of metal in a silver finish. The mag feels hefty and very durable. The notable difference between this an a standard 1911 mag is its silver (obviously) and has a small plastic bumper on the end, making it protrude from the magwell.

While shooting today I noticed while they both fed very well the MEU's mag held a few more shots of gas then the 1911's. Both did very well though in this chilly NJ weather, able to empty a full mag on one charge of gas at 25 degrees.

The actual gun

The gun is very solid and has a hefty feel to it. Sporting a matte black finish, and while being almost entirely made of plastic, it feels, and looks very much like metal.

However while racking the slide, it felt un-smooth and a bit sluggish compared to the standard 1911.

The metal parts include: slide release, hammer, ambidextrous safety, magazine realease, beavertail grip safety, and the trigger.

The slide has "Professional Cal.45" on it and the frame says "ASGK Tokyo Marui custom made in japan CRG 1368" and then "Cal.45"

Compared to a standard 1911 the MEU has some notable improvements.

First it weighs a bit more, just a few ounces but noticeable while holding both.

Second the gun now sports licensed NOVAK sights. These are VERY nice, and a dream to use compared to the old sights. Making target acquisition much easier.

(Picture showing the NOVAK sights and ambidextrous safety)

In addition to that the side now has forward serrations in addition to the rear ones. Not extremely useful, but nice to look at.

On the frame side there is now an extended beavertail grip safety, new extended ambidextrous slide safety, and hollowed out hammer.

(pic showing the grip safety, slide safety and the hammer)

Also the trigger is now much larger, silver and has three holes in it:

Finally the last major improvement, is TM's take on Pachmyr wrap around grips.

These thing are fantastic compared to the old grips on the Original Colt 1911.

They wrap around the front of the frame, and even though they are still plastic, they feel rubberized and are very comfy.

Edited by TheHamburglar13, 28 February 2009 - 11:50 PM.

#2 TheHamburglar13

TheHamburglar13

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:46 PM

Disassembly

To field strip the weapon start by ejecting the mag, sliding the slide back to the small indent right before the slide catch, then push the small button on the right side of the frame inward

Pull the slide release lever out of the f the frame, and slide the slide off the frame

Now that the slide and push the recoil spring inwards the pull up and out

To remove the buffer, face the front of the slide towards you and press the small button beneath the barrel, then pull it out of where the recoil spring just was.

Now with the front of the slide facing you again, the that piece around the barrel and turn it to the right

Now simply just pull the barrel out the front of the slide

There your gun is now field stripped

Compatibility with standard 1911

The MEU and the standard 1911, are 100% compatible with each other, the mags, slides, frames and internals all work with the other model. This is no surprise since the guns are basically the same.

(Pic of the 1911 slide and mag with the MEU frame and vice versa)

(Pic comparing the sights.)

Shooting impressions

The gun is very enjoyable to shoot with a snappy recoil and a loud report, when shooting on propane.

Even though the side feels a bit sluggish and not smooth when simply raking the slide compared to my standard 1911, it felt much better while shooting with a much more responsive trigger, a faster blowback and snappy recoil.

I cant really give a range report a I don't have a large area to shoot in, but at 10 yards I was easily landing shots in a 3 inch circle with mild wind and .2's. Partially thanks to the NOVAK sight which are much easier to shoot with than the original on the 1911.

The gun easily shot all 28rds on one charge of propane, in this 25 degree weather, and the fps varied between 295 and 300.

After abut 5k rounds, I have had no problems at all.

Final thoughts

The gun is great, and easily worth the $180. It is a great gun for skirmishing or just plinking with.

If your looking for a nice 1911 styled gun for skirmishing, have no doubts this will serve you well.

Thanks for reading

#3 goldeneye007airsoft

goldeneye007airsoft
  • Interests:Interests bore me.

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:55 AM

That's a great review, and is really making me want one now.

Nice job

My WE SCAR Initial Overview

My A&K M249 Review

My "s" button only works sporadically, so please forgive any typos. Thanks!

#4 theyoungone10

theyoungone10
  • Interests:I really enjoy playing baseball and basketball for my high school. I'm also a very good student taking a heavy dose of IB classes for my upcoming senior year. I don't skirmish but I love to tinker with gas guns and hope to join POR one day or start competing in IPSC whether it be airsoft or reel steel.
  • SOA Name: theyoungone10

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:45 AM

Good review! I'll be posting my review of the WE MEU within the next few days.
QUOTE (MARSOCdoc @ Apr 5 2011, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate aeg's more than I hate terrorists.... and trust me I HATE terrorists....

Props to Koper

#5 CMP

CMP

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:10 AM

Pretty nice review.

Moved and Approved.

Props to Aquafina for the sig

If I advance.........follow me. If I stop......urge me on. If I retreat........kill me. Kaibiles, Guatemalas Special Forces

#6 AirsoftUSA

AirsoftUSA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

So did you order this from a US retailer? I want to know weither to expect raped trades or not.

QUOTE (Bear @ Aug 17 2006, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Point of order: there are no "tournaments" in Airsoft. There are games, skirmishes, operations (ops), but no "tournaments". This ain't paintball.

#7 TheHamburglar13

TheHamburglar13

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

Sorry for the delay, but yep got it from airsoft atlanta.

#8 maruipro

maruipro
  • Interests:Airsofting, Guitar, Music, Girls

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

I heard that some 1911s have the barrel bushing break.
will that happen on this gun if u upgrade to a metal slide?
Herrozz!

#9 Dmurr6

Dmurr6

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

You should spray paint that annoying orange tip, also try painting the sights green it will help your performance:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users