to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Tightbore barrel is the standard!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cbushninjan

cbushninjan

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:46 AM

Please excuse my grammar.

I was so shock today when one of the guy at Lenix field show me the difference between a tightbore M4 and a nontightbore M4, and the different was shocking. Not only was the tightbore accurate, I didn't even have to use the rear sight to hit my target. This got me thinking, if you don't have a tightbore, you really don't have an accurate gun. I can't believe that this is not the standard for every stock gun. I mean every guns I believes should be made accurate as much as possible, and to make airsoft a more enjoyable experiences. Its a shame that some people wouldn't know how great their gun actually are because their bullet went flying with the wind. Anyway that was something that completely shock me, I knew a tightbore barrel was more accurate, but didn't realize it was night and day, apple to orange, hit or miss differences. First thing tomorrow, I'm buying myself a tightbore barrel.
My Armory:

G4A5 16SP "Torcher"

JG M4: looking to sell, pm me

#2 kiki-jiki

kiki-jiki
  • Interests:Airsoft, guitar, cars, school (University of Michigan)

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (cbushninjan @ Jul 19 2009, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please excuse my grammar.

I was so shock today when one of the guy at Lenix field show me the difference between a tightbore M4 and a nontightbore M4, and the different was shocking. Not only was the tightbore accurate, I didn't even have to use the rear sight to hit my target. This got me thinking, if you don't have a tightbore, you really don't have an accurate gun. I can't believe that this is not the standard for every stock gun. I mean every guns I believes should be made accurate as much as possible, and to make airsoft a more enjoyable experiences. Its a shame that some people wouldn't know how great their gun actually are because their bullet went flying with the wind. Anyway that was something that completely shock me, I knew a tightbore barrel was more accurate, but didn't realize it was night and day, apple to orange, hit or miss differences. First thing tomorrow, I'm buying myself a tightbore barrel.

Uhh...where to start?

Were they both the same brand m4's and both the same type (like both m4 carbines)? If not, then you could just have a crappy m4 with a bad stock barrel and hop-up and compare it to an m4 with a tightbore and a good hop-up, and that's not a fair comparison.

I installed a tightbore, SystemA bucking, and SCS nub into my TM G36 yesterday and it's not a night and day difference. It's more consistent and accurate at longer ranges, but it's not a huge difference.

Also, making a tightbore barrel standard for every gun would be more expensive. G&G's (pro-line) come stock with a tightbore, but they do cost like $300 or so. Their sportline version costs only $150 or so and does not come with a tightbore. If they did, it would be more expensive. And the fact that a barrel is "tighter" does NOT necessarily make it better. The reason tightbores will increase your accuracy and consistency is that they are usually better made than stock barrels, hence why you pay $30-$60+ for them. If you were to take a 6.03 and a 6.08 barrel that were of the same quality, the accuracy and consistency wouldn't be very different. The .03 might have a slightly higher FPS, but it wouldn't be a big difference.

So if, say, Echo1 started putting a tightbore of their own in all their guns you would see a price increase in their guns, but not a very noticeable increase in accuracy/consistency.

I would definitely recommend putting an aftermarket tightbore in most AEGs, but making tightbores standard isn't a very good idea IMO.

#3 Dj_Frost

Dj_Frost
  • Interests:Cars, Computers, Technology, Airsoft, Etc

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:20 AM

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know if Airsoft Elite ICS MP5s come with a tightbore? or what size barrel?
- Airsoft Elite ICS MP5 SD PDW
PDI 190% spring
Prome "soft" Hop Up Bucking / Air Nozzle & Selector Plate
Area1000 Tappet Plate
Leapers FS3 / MP5 Dual Rail Claw Mount
AMP Special Force Red/Green Crosshair Scope
MadBull Ver. 2 Precision Inner Barrel for MP5A
UTG SWAT Force Tactical Flashlight with Mount
UTG Tactical 3 Point Sling

#4 namloot

namloot

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:30 AM

The straightness, roundness, smoothness and the quality of the crown of an inner barrel is what determines it's accuracy, not it's bore. That is why all the top brands of inner barrels, Prometheus, Madbull, PDI, Systema, CA, EdGI and TM, whether they are 6.01, 6.03, 6.04 or 6.08mm, all shoot very close to one another.

A premium brand tightbore barrel shoots better than most stock barrels not because it's a tightbore, but because the premium barrel is straighter, rounder, smoother and has a better crown then most stock barrels.

The one benefit with a tightbore over a good 6.08, like the TM, is a muzzle velocity boost, which can be significant, depending on the gun's build. There is no accuracy benefit in the tightbore however.

The inner barrel of an AEG is relatively expensive; A good quality inner barrel is even more expensive. That is why most AEGs come with an inner barrel that isn't the best, cost considerations.

Good luck.

Edited by namloot, 19 July 2009 - 07:34 AM.

Bob
My Marui M14, Custom Marui AK47 and Custom Marui G36KV

#5 koreaneric23

koreaneric23

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

Ive always used tightbores in my guns but usually used the stock barrel to see the improvements of hte tightbore and sure I would get less fliers and tight groupings but nothing like what your(OP) describing. Ive used 10+ tightbored guns after changing their barrels from stock to tightbore and yea like it was suggested above me I doubt it was just the barrel. Different spring, bucking, nub, etc would change how the gun shoot besides just the barrel.

#6 KingKrispy21

KingKrispy21
  • Interests:Airsoft, Running, fishing, Football, whatever's fun<br />

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (kiki-jiki @ Jul 19 2009, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, making a tightbore barrel standard for every gun would be more expensive. G&G's (pro-line) come stock with a tightbore, but they do cost like $300 or so. Their sportline version costs only $150 or so and does not come with a tightbore. If they did, it would be more expensive. And the fact that a barrel is "tighter" does NOT necessarily make it better. The reason tightbores will increase your accuracy and consistency is that they are usually better made than stock barrels, hence why you pay $30-$60+ for them. If you were to take a 6.03 and a 6.08 barrel that were of the same quality, the accuracy and consistency wouldn't be very different. The .03 might have a slightly higher FPS, but it wouldn't be a big difference.

So if, say, Echo1 started putting a tightbore of their own in all their guns you would see a price increase in their guns, but not a very noticeable increase in accuracy/consistency.

I would definitely recommend putting an aftermarket tightbore in most AEGs, but making tightbores standard isn't a very good idea IMO.

Theoretically, a TB barrel wouldn't cost a penny more, since all you need is a tighter bore. consistency wise, there will be an improvement, even if the quality isn't great. However..

in TM's, they have 6.08mm standard barrels, but their quality is good enough to rival higher end barrel companies. a person recently posted a test with TM barrels against Systema barrels, and the results were very similar, even if the systema bore was tighter, so you do have a point in saying it's the quality of the bore.

I think companies should ditch the 6.08 and make tigher barrels for their guns.. the smaller bore isn't more expensive than the standard 6.08 bore, and having a tighter barrel is better, regardless of quality.

KK21
-Member of team Onyx

B/S/T warning, please read:
http://www.airsoftfo...5#entry18230335
I do Gearbox work on V2/V3 gearboxes. PM for more info

#7 mishapman

mishapman

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:56 AM

If starting off with an existing fabrication, I think a company moving to a stock tightbore would be expensive.

I'm guessing production works like this. You have long lengths of 6.08 mm ID by X mm OD tubes. They get cut to the required length based on gun model. One end is machined to be the hop up end. The other crowned for the business end of the TB. Machining is set up for the 6.08 ID.

Now, change production to all TB. This is a WAG, but here is why I think the TB production would be more expensive. With the outer diameter remaining constant, it should fit in existing equipment. Now the machining has to be adjusted (don't know if this is simple or not) to cut deeper into the barrel from the outside due to the ID dropping from 6.08 to 6.0x mm. I'm thinking your base supply would be more expensive and heavier now. Given the same materials being used, the TB would weigh more and contain more material because you've slightly increased the difference between the OD and ID.

Again...it's all a WAG since I don't know if barrels start as solid blanks or tubes and how difficult it is to change milling machinery.

Best bet is that it is indeed more expensive (likely due to a combination of factors, rather than one single issue) to include TBs on stock guns. Otherwise, it would be silly not to offer consumers a higher quality product at the same price as the stock barrel.

QUOTE (KingKrispy21 @ Jul 19 2009, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think companies should ditch the 6.08 and make tigher barrels for their guns.. the smaller bore isn't more expensive than the standard 6.08 bore, and having a tighter barrel is better, regardless of quality.
KK21

ECHO1 M16A4 - modified, 400 fps/12 bps
JG BAR-10 - modified, 500 fps
CYMA 030 - stock was 125 fps, modified 150 160 179 195 fps/12 bps
Clear Cybergun Taurus PT92 springer, 200 fps...yeah baby.
------
At what point do you become a "friend collector" on Facebook? Seriously, who really gives that much a crap about 200 or more people to keep up with their daily random text excretions?

#8 IHazLPEG

IHazLPEG

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

If they made tightbores standard, there wouldn't really be a market for upgrades, so I might guess that the companies like Madbull (as far as I know, don't they only make upgrade parts?) wouldn't go for it. And like someone already said, it would simply raise prices, and guns that didn't have it, similar to nowaday clones, would probably increase in sales.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users