to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo

Tanaka K-98 Pros And Cons

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 BB Sprayer

BB Sprayer

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:07 PM

Hey, my uncle just bought me a tanaka k98 for my 13th b-day(he loves airsoft)and I don't know what to do with it. Pros and cons?

#2 yod9

yod9

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:19 PM

CHRONO IT!
All the reviews I have read on it say two main things...
Nice craftsmanship...
Hits HARD!
Like 600 fps, "we won't let you play with us" hard.
Get a can of 134a and green gas and test it with .2s.
Even if the thing is too hot, it is still nice.
Lucky are you.
It doesn't have the pressure control of the M24
but still uses the Peagsus Gas System.

Edited by yod9, 23 December 2004 - 04:20 PM.

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Yod9
Geeks with Guns
Sniper / Precision Shooting Unit
</span>

Remember corporations hate you. You are their pawns.

#3 BB Sprayer

BB Sprayer

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:36 PM

That's good. I'll be playing as a sniper against tons of guys with classic army m16s and mp5s. I think I might have a disadvantage against full auto, but if it shoots 600 fps.......

#4 yod9

yod9

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:43 PM

Hence my reason for stressing the chrono. You should not play with 600 fps. Which is why a weaker gas like 134a would be probably best. See what it shoots first though. Remember safety come first and foremost. Even if it is the safety of those other than yourself.
Geeks with Guns
</span>

#5 7thcav.JaJakamo

7thcav.JaJakamo

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:37 PM

Man!!! you are soooo lucky to have a tanaka kar98!
where did your uncle get it. I have wanted one for awhile but they are nowhere to be found.
where was it purchased? and how much did it cost? does anyone know where I can get a hold of one? thanks

#6 undercovercqb

undercovercqb
  • Interests:Airsoft, Movies

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:47 AM

wrong, the k98 does not shoot 600fps out of the box. it is more like 550. but you should chrono it to make sure it isnt over 550 anyways. 134a sucks, don't ever use it. you will get 280fps with .2bbs.
*** Img removed by Moderator OpSic66. IMG too large. See rules <AT> http://www.airsoftfo...le-t168423.html

#7 Dawg Bait

Dawg Bait
  • Interests:Airsoft and Girls

Posted 24 December 2004 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE (BB Sprayer @ Dec 23 2004, 04:07 PM)
Hey, my uncle just bought me a tanaka k98 for my 13th b-day(he loves airsoft)and I don't know what to do with it. Pros and cons?

I don't know you but I already hate you.. My k98 shoots at 2700 fps :) and shoots 8mm FMJ bullets :)

but all I hear is that the Tanaka Mauser kar98 is a great gun, WHERE DID HE GET IT and how much, I want one.. Hell I would trade my m40 thats upgraded with scope and bipod for it..

Ross
Dawg Bait
user posted image

#8 azoneman

azoneman
  • Interests:Wrestling, Shooting, Outdoors, Diving, Pissing on the Hopes and Dreams of Libtards

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:54 AM

Everybody who's asking where you can get it-go to www.redwolfairsoft.com!
War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Heavily Upgraded Marui G36 and M16 DMR For Sale

#9 Richard Wynne

Richard Wynne

Posted 24 December 2004 - 11:14 AM

Below is an old review of the Tanaka Kar98k I did when I was using one....

Years ago, when I was a World War Two re-enactor, I was a member of a group re-enacting the 2nd SS Division 'Das Reich' and I thoroughly enjoyed owning a real Kar98k. It was a pleasure to use and a real beauty of a rifle. Last year when I saw the Tanaka Kar98k for the first time, I just knew I had to have one but the cost was prohibitive and to own the Kar98k I felt I needed a load-out to go with the rifle. Airsofting in WW2 German kit seemed inappropriate at the time, so the idea was shelved.

Over the course of the year I heard pleny of good reports on the Tanaka Kar98k. It was a powerful, reliable and popular gun. I had changed employers, with a decent pay increase, and there came into being a movement within the airsofting community to encourage themed airsofting, including the WW2 theme. A blend of airsoft skirmishing and re-enactment, it seemed the perfect opportunity to use a Kar98k with a matching load-out.

So I went about researching the purchase. I was hoping to buy a used model, in order to save money and to avoid having to buy from HK or Japan. First I borrowed a Kar98k from a mate. It was a disaster. It did not shoot as well as I had expected, the limited ammunition supply felt overly restrictive and I seemed to suffer some technical difficulties. I had no confidence in it what so ever, and never left the target range with it. I reverted back to my AEG and got stuck in. Later, one of my Nazgul brothers let me use his highly upgraded/modified APS sniper rifle on the field. I got a number of eliminations but was disappointed that it didn't perform up to my expectations. I wanted one shot eliminations, but time and again it looked like the bb would hit and the people would not be eliminated or I would be presented with three targets standing next to one another, hit one and have the other two leather me. It was very frustrating. What was interesting was the pyschological effect it had on the enemy. Although I had taken less out than I would have with my AEG, they were intimidated by me more with the APS. Hmmm....

In the end, my mates at work reminded me that the game is not about how many eliminations you get and winning the skirmish, its about having fun. That said, I went and found a good deal on a Kar98k and a complete Waffen SS load-out.

In the end, my mates at work reminded me that the game is not about how many eliminations you get and winning the skirmish, its about having fun. That said, I went and found a good deal on a Kar98k and a complete Waffen SS load-out.

Taking it out on the range, I used .2's and found the velocity with green gas to be just under 500 fps. Switching to serious shooting using the .36's it seemed to consistently shoot high and to the left. Not enough to be outside the front sight's hood though, so using Kentucky windage was not a problem. There was quite a bit of lubricant inside the action and I found this meant little bits of grease were getting onto the bb's, reducing accuracy. Since my first day at the range this Problem seems to be decreasing over time and accuracy improving.

I have been told it takes about a thousand rounds before the hop-up settles in and accuracy improves yet again. Considering it takes 10 round mags, I have a feeling it will be quite a while before I reach that point. I find I fire an average of about 100 to 200 rounds on a skirmish day. Currently I have two magazines, but having borrowed two more during a skirmish I believe two magazines are not enough. Four is much more comfortable for games lasting one hour or more.

Sadly the magazines do not fit in WW2 issue Kar98k pouches, so I have been trying to come up with a method to carry them without having to affect my period load-out.

When firing the gun makes a distinctive sound and oddly, you can see a small cloud of gas at the muzzle. This can give your position away, especially if you are using white ammo and firing at enemy troops approaching directly towards your position. I hope to be using dark coloured ammo in the future to try to reduce the risk of revealing my position. Once the AEG's find you, your position will receive a storm of bb's. Trust me.

I have purchased a real Mauser Kar98k sling and fitted it, helps when I have to switch to my back-up pistol for close range fighting. People seem to think rushing right at a high powered bolt action airsoft gun is a good idea, the idea being to get within the minimum 25 yard engagement range. Foolish if you ask me. Without a doubt I will be purchasing more spare magazines. Most likely I will also get a TN barrel as I hear they help increase accuracy further. I do not think I will be getting the ZF-41 scope but if I see a good deal on one I may snatch it up. I see myself more as a sharpshooter than a sniper.

It was not easy to transition to single shot airsofting. It can be quite frustrating to work hard to get into a great position, wait until you have a clear shot, miss due to any of a number of reasons and get blasted by some newbie not even seeing you just spraying and praying to take you out. But there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that feels better than getting a perfect long range hit on a minimal target with one shot. I noticed how much I had been affected by single shot airsofting when during a skirmish I set down my Kar98k to use a tripod mounted M2 .50 caliber heavy machine gun.

They both are completely different from each other, both fun in their own way. That said, the single shot rifle is most definitely for the experienced player. A new player may find the frustration too much and leave airsoft all together.

#10 undercovercqb

undercovercqb
  • Interests:Airsoft, Movies

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:29 PM

These people have I think 4 or 5 in stock right now
*** Img removed by Moderator OpSic66. IMG too large. See rules <AT> http://www.airsoftfo...le-t168423.html

#11 BB Sprayer

BB Sprayer

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:48 PM

I'm not sure where he got it, I'll just have to ask him.

Also, it's amazingly realistic-ive shot a real k98 before and it feels the same except for recoil.

#12 livoniairsoft

livoniairsoft
  • Interests:Racing/Building Vintage Honda Motorcycles, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Drinking, Smoking, Punk Rock, Fabricating/Building, Working.

Posted 24 December 2004 - 02:19 PM

man, your soo lucky. that thing is really sweet, I saw a clip of it on redwolf and looks really awesome. I like how it ejects the shells, and how it has a clip instead of like a little bb hopper thing like on a mini.

"Honor, Vigilance, Unity" - Team R.A.G.E.
sorry, external links are not allowed except by paid sponsors

#13 yod9

yod9

Posted 24 December 2004 - 02:29 PM

You are sadly confusing the 8mm Marushin with the Tanaka. The Marushin uses a clip, the Tanaka is magazine fed.

QUOTE (livoniairsoft @ Dec 24 2004, 02:19 PM)
man, your soo lucky. that thing is really sweet, I saw a clip of it on redwolf and looks really awesome. I like how it ejects the shells, and how it has a clip instead of like a little bb hopper thing like on a mini.

Geeks with Guns
</span>

#14 Dawg Bait

Dawg Bait

Posted 25 December 2004 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (livoniairsoft @ Dec 24 2004, 02:19 PM)

Man your doing a bad job representing us Michigan players Livoniairsoft. lol.. theres about 5 diffrent Mausers out there for airsoft..

And to the guy that has a tanaka one. so if it feels like the real one then I say tghey did a good job then. I own a real one and love it. I want a airsoft one now.. I always have wanted a tanaka one for like a year and a half now..

Ross
user posted image

#15 livoniairsoft

livoniairsoft
  • Interests:Racing/Building Vintage Honda Motorcycles, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Drinking, Smoking, Punk Rock, Fabricating/Building, Working.

Posted 27 December 2004 - 08:48 PM

:mf_grenade: haha I really feel like an idiot... well they are all sweet.. we know. after looking at the kar98 it does seem really awesome.

sorry dawg bait, gestapo is still planting WW2 knowledge into my brain.

"Honor, Vigilance, Unity" - Team R.A.G.E.
sorry, external links are not allowed except by paid sponsors

#16 Dawg Bait

Dawg Bait

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (livoniairsoft @ Dec 27 2004, 08:48 PM)
:mf_grenade:  haha I really feel like an idiot... well they are all sweet.. we know. after looking at the kar98 it does seem really awesome.

sorry dawg bait, gestapo is still planting WW2 knowledge into my brain.

For ww2 info, don't listen to him.. I know so much about the German and US guns used during WW2.

Ross
user posted image

#17 Guest_Hershall Frostofskie_*

Guest_Hershall Frostofskie_*

Posted 28 December 2004 - 10:26 PM

134a sucks, don't ever use it. you will get 280fps with .2bbs.

umm.... 134a does not make it go that much slower it will slow it down a lot but not down to 280 from 550. It will only lower the fps of your gun about 100-150.

#18 Dawg Bait

Dawg Bait

Posted 31 December 2004 - 06:43 AM

Well if my SP M40XB sells, I have a airsoft store that can get me one and I will review it if I get it :)

Ross
user posted image

#19 nemesis

nemesis

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:30 AM

I am sorry but REDWOLF SUCKS how ever uncompany generally has them as well as precision airsoft... I currently do not have one but am in the process of ordering one
IPB Image

check my profile for website

If it moves kick it, If it doesnt move kick it till it does

Dead people don't talk so that means shut up

#20 Guest_masamune_*

Guest_masamune_*

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (nemesis @ Dec 12 2005, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sorry but REDWOLF SUCKS how ever uncompany generally has them as well as precision airsoft... I currently do not have one but am in the process of ordering one

hey nemesis I know your new but don't resurect old post...... and please no one else post in this unless its usefull info... most of the original posters are inactive

Edited by masamune, 12 December 2005 - 11:38 AM.

#21 Marine

Marine
  • Interests:Airsoft of course!

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:07 PM

I found a great place to get a Tanaka Kar98. There are actually 4 diff ones that they have. :) IDK very much about them BUT they look like a pretty good site. www.wgcshop.com Your welcome. I plan on buying one in a few months.
IPB Image

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." Admiral Isoroku

#22 Roskov

Roskov
  • Interests:stuff..

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (Marine @ Apr 26 2006, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found a great place to get a Tanaka Kar98. There are actually 4 diff ones that they have. :) IDK very much about them BUT they look like a pretty good site. www.wgcshop.com Your welcome. I plan on buying one in a few months.

what are you? some sort of stupid advertisement bot?
all they have in the webstore (as far as I can see) is the Karabiner Model G33/40 and
both models are sold out and won't ever come back since Tanaka isn't producing the "Kar" line anymore.

#23 Marine

Marine
  • Interests:Airsoft of course!

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Roskov @ Apr 25 2006, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what are you? some sort of stupid advertisement bot?
all they have in the webstore (as far as I can see) is the Karabiner Model G33/40 and
both models are sold out and won't ever come back since Tanaka isn't producing the "Kar" line anymore.

Sorry I was not aware of that. Im an AEG guy.
IPB Image

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." Admiral Isoroku

#24 Sh0ck-N-Awe

Sh0ck-N-Awe

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (yod9 @ Dec 23 2004, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hence my reason for stressing the chrono. You should not play with 600 fps. Which is why a weaker gas like 134a would be probably best. See what it shoots first though. Remember safety come first and foremost. Even if it is the safety of those other than yourself.

there is NOTHING wrong with 600fps if you play responsibly and don't shoot people up close. I play nothing but unlimited games and people walk away bruised and sometimes theres blood, but that adds a little realism to it. 600fps is creeping up on 100 yard shots. BUY IT.

#25 BlaRock86

BlaRock86

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm from Belgium.

I found this site via google and also this thread.

I've got the Tanaka Mauser kar98 (now 2 weeks).

About the fps:

If you use TOP green gas (better then normal green gas, and just a little softer then red gas) and I shoot 460 fps and 410fps (with that little screw screwed in the bolt).

I've got 1 little question about the kar98: Can I use a magazine from a M700 rifle, or do I have to buy the specific mag for the kar98 (they look the same)?

ps: sorry if some english words aren't grammaticaly correct.

#26 dan1668

dan1668

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (BlaRock86 @ Jun 5 2006, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About the fps:

If you use TOP green gas (better then normal green gas, and just a little softer then red gas) and I shoot 460 fps and 410fps (with that little screw screwed in the bolt).

I've got 1 little question about the kar98: Can I use a magazine from a M700 rifle, or do I have to buy the specific mag for the kar98 (they look the same)?

ps: sorry if some english words aren't grammaticaly correct.

THey are gona run u about 50$ a pop not including shipping from hongkong http://www.uncompany....asp?prodid=846

#27 MauserKar98k

MauserKar98k

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:04 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm from Italy.

I've got the Tanaka Mauser kar98 (now 3 years).

About the hop-up system:

For replace the rubber I find to use this: G&G Tanaka M700 rubber set
But I have broke the hop-up spring and lost the small metal ball.
Can you help me to find solution??

I've got 1 little question about the kar98: which bb is better? exel,marui, other??

ps: sorry if some english words aren't correct.
sorry to dan1668, I copy some of his post

#28 Guest_JerryAgent_*

Guest_JerryAgent_*

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (MauserKar98k @ Oct 22 2006, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About the hop-up system:

For replace the rubber I find to use this: G&G Tanaka M700 rubber set
But I have broke the hop-up spring and lost the small metal ball.
Can you help me to find solution??

I've got 1 little question about the kar98: which bb is better? exel,marui, other??

ps: sorry if some english words aren't correct.
sorry to dan1668, I copy some of his post

Well, wecome to ASF. But this thread was made in 2004, last post was June, so you may want to create a new thread for your questions.

And your English is better than most people on the forums, so good job.

Edited by JerryAgent, 22 October 2006 - 03:51 PM.

#29 AOE

AOE

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (BlaRock86 @ Jun 6 2006, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (MauserKar98k @ Oct 23 2006, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. But, am I seeing double here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users