to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

what is a mosfet and what does it do?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 deadjoker08

deadjoker08

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

I keep on reading about a mosfet. what is it and what does it do?

#2 paparker21

paparker21
  • Interests:Paintball, Airsoft, Computer Gaming, Automotive, backpacking, astronomy
  • SOA Name: PaParker21

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (deadjoker08 @ Jul 26 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I keep on reading about a mosfet. what is it and what does it do?

This isn't the most precise explanation, you can google mosfet if you want to know more than the basics:

A mosfet is a switch; It requests an on/off signal from 1 low load source and actuates the circuit for a higher load source. It's a lot like a relay.

The benefits in airsoft are that that, instead of flowing the full current through the trigger contacts then into the motor, you use the trigger contacts for your low load source, and route the current from the battery through the mosfet and directly into the motor. This keeps your trigger contacts from getting burnt up as well as allowing a less resistive path for the current going to the motor. This translates to longevity for your trigger contacts and quicker trigger response via less resistive pathing.
G&G UMG - 330 fps, 29 bps - SHS Torque motor, Speed gears (13:1), 11.1 lipo, Fet, and airseal mods
KWA SR10 - stock and lovely!
[BUSTED]Echo 1 G36K, JBU TBB, TM 1000 motor, madbull red bucking, 18BPS on a 9.6v

#3 deadjoker08

deadjoker08

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

wow that sounds pretty complicated and expensive for me lol. how much would it cost to do something like that? and is there a parts list and a place to get all this stuff?

#4 airborne101

airborne101

If you have a problem, and no one else can help...

• Forum Administrator
  • 10,705 posts

• My Temperament:Melancholy

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

You can buy MOSFETs premade, however it is usually cheaper to make them. I bought my MOSFET for around $50 (pre made) and installed it myself. I highly recommend Extreme-Fire.com, however you can also check out AWS airsoft, and Infected Armory for cheaper MOSFETs. (Realize that IA MOSFETS are not very good and I have heard several stories of them failing.

#5 AMC1096

AMC1096
  • Interests:I like to play airsoft I have played it for about half a year. I also like to play video games on xbox live. BTW anyone reading my XBL gamertag is Epic Airsofter. I like to play GTA IV MW2 and Battlefield bad company. Also I am intrested in joining the Marines. Probable Force Recon and possible going out and becoming a PMC. Or becoming a police officer. Maybe FBI ATF. Just don't know yet.

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

MOSFETS are sort of like a computer chip I have seen them for sale into the hundreds. I would use them if you use a lipo battery though.
We gather to flip life off to delve into hours of artifiicial warfare in streamlines of white six milimeter.
We are of those who swear openly.
We are of those who fight to win honorably.
We are of those who respect both friend and foe.
We are of those who aid our fellow players.
We are the always vigilant and faithful.

We are, the airsofters.

#6 deadjoker08

deadjoker08

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

im just a every saturday player and play with my buddies at his house should I even worry about it then? I mean my m4 works perfectly fine.

#7 Star_folder

Star_folder
  • Interests:Airsoft.

• My Temperament:2,5,7,10

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

I'd say they are always a good idea, but you don't need them. If you ever start using lipo batteries or anything larger than a 9.6v you should get them.

When you pull the trigger, you connect a circuit, causing your motor to turn. The higher the voltage, the more energy is flowing through your trigger. There are stories of people putting 11.1v lipo batteries into their guns and their trigger becomes overloaded with power and actually melt and fuse together. Mosfets redirect the power so it just goes straight from the battery to the motor, and only a trickle goes through the trigger itself.

I've got mosfets in both of my guns, but I'm also only running 9.6v batteries. One has a special $75 mosfet, the other has a good cheap $25 one.

Check out the upgrades and modifications pinned topics, one of them is about mosfets and how to make them. From what I understand you can make a good one for just a couple of dollars, if you have the soldering and electrical know how to do it.

#8 paparker21

paparker21
  • Interests:Paintball, Airsoft, Computer Gaming, Automotive, backpacking, astronomy
  • SOA Name: PaParker21

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

based on what your saying about being a back yard player; the fact that you didn't know what a mosfet was or anything about their pricing, I would conclude you probably need to overlook it. This isn't said to offend you, but even the purchase and installation of mosfets requires at least a working knowledge of electronics / wiring / soldering. It doesn't sound like you're in a situation where you need one, so skipping it is probably your best option.
G&G UMG - 330 fps, 29 bps - SHS Torque motor, Speed gears (13:1), 11.1 lipo, Fet, and airseal mods
KWA SR10 - stock and lovely!
[BUSTED]Echo 1 G36K, JBU TBB, TM 1000 motor, madbull red bucking, 18BPS on a 9.6v

#9 KickA55avenue

KickA55avenue
  • Interests:Lacrosse<br />AIRSOFT

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

plus, if you have an upgraded gun, especially one that shoots at a high ROF like you would get with a mosfet, your freinds will probably not want to play with you for fear of getting their censored2.gif shot of. thats what happens whenever I play with my friends in the backyard, so I use one of my guns that I havent upgraded. my jg m4 s-system... good gun by the way.
Primary: CYMA Galil with... UTG Galil Quadrail, G&P EOTECH 551, cheekrest from realsteal Galil, 11.1v LiPO in a PEQ15 w/ lazer, vertical grip, rewired with teflon 16awg wire, DEANS and a homemede mosfet, re-shimmed, AoE fixed with sorbo, madbull 6.01, matrix magnum motor, systema bucking, R-Hop and M-Nub, guarder nozzle, guarder spring guide, matrix polycarb. steel teeth piston, element aluminum piston head, chrome plated cylinder, guarder cylinder head, KA 7mm ball bearings, JG standard ratio gears, m115 spring.
Secondary: KWA M226 PTP 3 mags, 3 times the fun

#10 ServedConsistently

ServedConsistently

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:13 AM

http://www.airsoftme...ent/view/23/26/

Does this answer your question?

If your willing to do enough research and teach yourself how to solder, making your own mosfet might be worth it, even if just for the experience.

Also, they are MUCH cheaper to make your self. The actuall MOSFET itself only costs a few dollars (if that) plus a few resistors, which are pocket change cheap. The most expensive part could end up being the soldering iron.
Anything that doesn't kill me...Has made a grave tactical error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users