to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Silencers

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SergeantBiscuits

SergeantBiscuits
  • Interests:Airsoft sniping, .22 rifles, skeet/trap shooting (12/16-gauge), video-game programming, inventing random stuff, etc...

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:30 AM

Here is california I know that silencers on real firearms are absolutely illegal, but does the law also apply for real airsoft silencers? (not mock ones. those are just plastic and are legal... I think.) Someone clear this up, please!

Thanks,
~Pirate pirate.gif
I'm a global mod. Need help? Ask me. Oh, by the way...

#2 Guest_TriChrome_*

Guest_TriChrome_*

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

I believe that technically anything that silences a shot is illegal (and my silencer on my AEG def. makes it quieter). But since these guns aren't real, you'll be fine. Plus "everybody is doing it".

#3 Guest_BattlePriest_*

Guest_BattlePriest_*

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (TriChrome @ Mar 4 2005, 08:40 AM)
I believe that technically anything that silences a shot is illegal (and my silencer on my AEG def. makes it quieter). But since these guns aren't real, you'll be fine. Plus "everybody is doing it".

I know TomSplasky knows this one... but I think the law against silencers specifies a certain decibel level of suppression... but an airsoft gun does not make that much noise in the first place, so a silencer cannot suppress that much... IE, theyre not illegal.

BUT.. I may be absolutely wrong... lets see if Tom knows.

#4 TomSplasky

TomSplasky
  • Interests:Uhh, stuff.

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:07 AM

The way a real gun suppression system works is that it takes the expelled gasses and gives them more room to expand. The gasses expand into the suppression unit and thus don't make as loud a sound.

Airsoft suppressors use foam to somewhat muffle the shot. They're perfectly legal and considered cosmetic suppressors.

Real gun suppressors are covered by te NFA of 1934.
Just as sincere as a dog does... when it's the food on your lips with which it's in love...

#5 blastsidewinder

blastsidewinder

i get a custom member title cause im special and youre not.

• 759 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:32 PM

do the suppressors for airsoft make a noticible difference? or does the majority of the sound come from the gearbox...
im a nerd and I wore my airsoft stuff to school...AND I have speakers attached to my airsofting rig. 1 man tactical band =)

#6 SINN FEIN

SINN FEIN
  • Interests:Airsoft, computers, fishing, gaming.

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:02 AM

I had a P90 with a silencer, and it made all the difference.
user posted image

#7 blastsidewinder

blastsidewinder

i get a custom member title cause im special and youre not.

• 759 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (SINN FEIN @ Mar 4 2005, 05:02 PM)
I had a P90 with a silencer, and it made all the difference.

hmm whaddaya say to a m16vn with a silencer, scope, bipod, m9 rubber bayonet, and perhaps a laser attached on the outer barrel? a-cool.gif
im a nerd and I wore my airsoft stuff to school...AND I have speakers attached to my airsofting rig. 1 man tactical band =)

#8 Razor8

Razor8
  • Interests:um...airsoft?

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:14 AM

not for me it didnt...plus it ended up distroying the foam inside...:/. I was also missing one of 4 of those foam pieces for the silencer...I wonder where it went seeing that I bought the p90 off someone rolleyes.gif ...doesnt matter though..it cuz I didnt get much difference with the silencer. it did dampen some of the sound but most of the sound made was from the gearbox itself.
Umm...Yah...

#9 SergeantBiscuits

SergeantBiscuits
  • Interests:Airsoft sniping, .22 rifles, skeet/trap shooting (12/16-gauge), video-game programming, inventing random stuff, etc...

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:24 PM

Alright, thanks a bunch, mates. I'll go ahead and grab one for my G3 SAS.

#10 Guy_With_A_Gun

Guy_With_A_Gun

-Military Photographer -MilSim/Living History

• Elite
  • 2,815 posts
  • Interests:Airsofting, (of course), paintballing, (about once a year), snowboarding, skateboarding, music, n all that other stuff<br /><br />And Photography...of course....

Posted 13 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

I wouldn;t worry about buying a silencer, but while I was at Northwest Tactical I waws talking to one on of the guys there and he said that the police recently consficated a bunch of classic army and ics SD5's I really don't see why they would thio since the silencers dotn really do anything, but then again if someone saw a gun with a silencer on it then mabey hey migh think that it was a real gun being silenced,
but no wrooies ima go buy one someday.

#11 SergeantBiscuits

SergeantBiscuits

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (Guy_With_A_Gun @ Mar 13 2005, 04:08 AM)
I wouldn;t worry about buying a silencer, but while  I was at Northwest Tactical I waws talking to one on of the guys there and he said that the police recently consficated a bunch of classic army and ics SD5's I really don't see why they would thio since the silencers dotn really do anything, but then again if someone saw a gun with a silencer on it then mabey hey migh think that it was a real gun being silenced,

Hmmm... Well, I most likely won't be using my gun for anything but official airsoft-battlefield skirmishes and target-plinking in the backyard, so It shouldn't be a problem.

#12 ardrummer292

ardrummer292
  • Interests:Airsoft, drumming, hackey-sack, skateboarding

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:32 AM

There are two different kinds of silencers:

1. Cosmetic - these silencers generally have trademarks. They don't have anything inside them (like foam); they are hollow metal cans. If you want to extend your inner barrel, you would probably buy one of these.

2. Functional - these silencers have trademarks on occasion, but it depends on what brand it is. They are filled with foam (TM/ICS) or compressed cotton (King Arms). These silencers reduce your gun's muzzle report by 60-80%. This helps with masking the sound source of your firing. For best results, Inertia black bbs or Stealth OD bbs (or in winter, white bbs) should be used to additionally mask the source of fire.

#13 MADxMAC

MADxMAC
  • Interests:Airsoft, Paintball, Computer Gaming, Military Simulation, target shooting (real steel), anything outdoors.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:50 PM

My brother has a TM MK23 socom with silencer. THe silencer buffles his shot greatly. At a distance greater than 30-40 feet you cant hear it at all. AEGs ont he other hand give off alot of noise form the gearbox. The silencer will only really make an effect at longer ranges. There is a pop noise emmitted form the barrel of an AEG that is not silenced that can be heard at a distance. A silencer eliminates that noise. ( I have used my brothers silencer on my TM sig552). However, at closer distances, the gearbox gives you away easy.... thats where the quiet piston/cylinder heads come in handy :P
IPB Image
Sig courtesy of Guy With A Gun

TM Sig 552,KWC M92F Beretta,TM SOCOM,TM Hi Capa 4.3
not impressive... at all, just saying

#14 Guest_Lacessit_*

Guest_Lacessit_*

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

Anyone able to explain why my silencer was confiscated by customs if they're actually legal? (no trades) It was mailed from HK through UPS. Fortunately, it was replaced at no charge and made it the second time (it was sent USPS the second time).

#15 Omaga

Omaga
  • Interests:Hmm... Airsoft? PC Gaming, ROTC, World Travel, Anime, Manga, Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Scuba Diving, Archery, Model Rocketry, Tinkering, Digital Graphics, Web Design...<br /><br />The best thing in the world is grabbing an M-16 w/sim rounds or a paintball gun and invading/defending the old prison in Santa Fe @ the CAT-C unit. (Working as Opfor)<br /><br />Go to Japan, there is nothing quite like it.

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:06 PM

Thats easy, your packaged was unlucky enough to be checked by customs the first time around. When they looked at the (suppressor) they had no way of verifying that it was either an airsoft one or a real one. So they took it!

Ye and its a suppressor dawg gone it! It doesn't silence anything bleh.gif

Here is a formal explanation of how airsoft suppressors work http://www.airsoftha...0504/tech.shtml... and they still got the title wrong!
user posted image
"Of every one hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them...They make the battle.
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...and He will bring the others back."
-Hericletus (circa 500 B.C.)-

#16 Guest_Lacessit_*

Guest_Lacessit_*

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (Omaga @ Mar 31 2005, 01:06 PM)
Thats easy, your packaged was unlucky enough to be checked by customs the first time around. When they looked at the (suppressor) they had no way of verifying that it was either an airsoft one or a real one. So they took it!

Ye and its a suppressor dawg gone it! It doesn't silence anything  bleh.gif

Here is a formal explanation of how airsoft suppressors work http://www.airsoftha...0504/tech.shtml... and they still got the title wrong!

Interesting.. so even though it was marked on the package as a "toy acessory" and it was filled with foam, they decided it may be real anyway.. ranting.gif

oh... and yeah.. I know the correct terminology is "suppressor".. I can only plead a brain-fart or regurgitation for my mistake in calling it a silencer. It just slipped out. bleh.gif

#17 Crew_Chief

Crew_Chief
  • Interests:Airsoft, Paintball, Shooting (real guns), computers.<br /><br />I'm a member of the US Airforce, stationed at Portland International Airport AFRB. Send me a message if you want to play airsoft; I'm totally lacking in airsoft replicas at this moment; the stuff I have is boxed up in shipping, I figure I'll have it around christmas time.

Posted 31 March 2005 - 06:26 PM

I've never seen any law that prohibits having a fake supressor on a firearm. There are lots of these on the market today, and I've never seen "does not ship to CA, NY" or any of the other common anti-gun states. If you can have a fake supressor on a real gun, of course you could have it on a Airsoft gun.

http://www.mfiap.com...ce/silencer.htm
If any of you are wondering, I'm fighting Zombies in South America right now, that's why I'm not on ASF; and will probably be on only every once in a while. And by "Fighting zombies" I mean my laptop is broken.

I joined the Airforce, not the military.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris." -Latin Proverb
Check out the list of Airsoft Retailers State-by-state!

#18 Omaga

Omaga
  • Interests:Hmm... Airsoft? PC Gaming, ROTC, World Travel, Anime, Manga, Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Scuba Diving, Archery, Model Rocketry, Tinkering, Digital Graphics, Web Design...<br /><br />The best thing in the world is grabbing an M-16 w/sim rounds or a paintball gun and invading/defending the old prison in Santa Fe @ the CAT-C unit. (Working as Opfor)<br /><br />Go to Japan, there is nothing quite like it.

Posted 31 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

Im not saying that that IS what happened, heck I don't have a clue. However, I do know that sometimes customs can really censored2.gif you over by breaking and stealing everything in your shipment.

I just suggested that they might have thought "Ohh, a real silencer in a toy package." and just taken it. Maybe the package just passed by one of the bad customs officers, thats all.

All in all, nope. Can't give you an explanation, customs officers are unpredictable.

Edited by Omaga, 31 March 2005 - 07:03 PM.

user posted image
"Of every one hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...We are lucky to have them...They make the battle.
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...and He will bring the others back."
-Hericletus (circa 500 B.C.)-

#19 Sturmgewehr

Sturmgewehr
  • Interests:Music

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Guy_With_A_Gun @ Mar 13 2005, 11:08 AM)
I wouldn;t worry about buying a silencer, but while  I was at Northwest Tactical I waws talking to one on of the guys there and he said that the police recently consficated a bunch of classic army and ics SD5's I really don't see why they would thio since the silencers dotn really do anything, but then again if someone saw a gun with a silencer on it then mabey hey migh think that it was a real gun being silenced,

Well they were probably being used in a manner unfitting for an airsoft gun- that is they were taken outside of the house and brandished in public or something like that- there had to be more to it than that.

Anyway, a question for Mr. Tomsplasky:

Does the law prohibit the production and import of such silencers/supressors (like the assault weapons ban) or does it prohibit the ownership and/or use of one?

Anyway, this is a commonly heard question:
QUOTE ( a_newbie_who_wants_an_answer_to_his/her_question)
How much of a difference does a silencer make

Well, here is the answer.

QUOTE ( sturmgewehr)
And the effect is noticeable, but not much. I have heard my aeg fired by another person from 10 feet away, and the noise really is mostly air pushed out the end of the barrel, even when standing right behind the gun.

If you are interested here is the math behind it all.

The formula for sound intensity is that sound intensity varies inversely as the square of the distance between the listener and the sound, so lets say your eardrum is 3 inches away from the gun, while it is at least 12 inches away from the end of the barrel (in the case of the beta spetz, maybe for an mp5K or g3sas there would not be as much of a difference), so the muzzle noise would have to be 16 times as loud as the motor to seem equally loud when compared to the motor. It is pretty much drowned out as you can imagine. However, my quadratic equations math is a little fuzzy so if you would like to challenge that go ahead; algebra is not my strong point; our teacher had to throw erasers at us to keep us from falling asleep.

So the fact is you get mostly gearbox noise, while, if you stand far away, you can tell that more of the noise is in fact the air in the barrel. Whenever I am shot at, I can much more easily here a "whoot! whoot!" noise than I hear the "vreeeee!" of the gearbox.

And like I also said, for gas guns they make all the difference.
ASF Staff 2005-2008

/\Thanks to pirate for letting me corrupt his artwork

#20 Frost

Frost

I don't regret what I spit, cause I know what I say.

• 648 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft<br />WoW (on occasion)<br />BMX<br />Music

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:43 AM

I've read that anything that silences an airsoft gun more than 10 decibles, is illegal. If this is not true don't flame me. I just read it somewhere.
"As you suffer, you bleed to death, your skull is fractured, FACE IS MUTILATED." Rose Funeral-Sledge Hammer Facelift

"A bullet always tells the truth."

#21 Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:50 PM

When I was at Airsoft Extreme the other day, they said that silencer cans are fine but the ones with foam are illegal in California.

My dad wouldn't let me get one that wasn't orange anyway.

#22 jballou

jballou

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:06 PM

The ATF classifies a suppressor as a device which may be attatched to a weapon and will silence one shot one decibel. That's the 'by the book' definition. Common sense dictates however that if it's not designed to go on a real gun, and would likely explode if used on one (as most airsoft suppressors would), the ATF isn't gonna come knocking. They have other important stuff to attend to, like trying to justify their existence now that the asinine AWB is over and they can't crack down on everyone who has an evil-looking weapon.
admin needs a working email address for this account.

I'm in the army, and in Iraq. I have been in most of the units you wish to emulate. I have operated and am familiar with most military arms of the world. Yes, I was with SF, I sat on a base and ran wires and radios for them. I am on my third combat deployment (well, this one's an office jockey). When I post something as fact, it may safely be assumed as such since I have been in airsoft almost 9 years now, and I always deliniate between fact and educated guessing. If I seem harsh it's probably because somebody said something innane that had to be stricken from the record. That is all.
QUOTE (BattlePriest)
Just forget it... you guys are hopeless... I should just quit..

#23 WTA_Delta

WTA_Delta
  • Interests:Airsoft, Aerospace (Military Aircraft &amp; Civilian Aircraft), Firearms, Martial Arts, History, International Relations/Foriegn Affairs, Overall military (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Spec Ops), Legal Issues, HRT applications/training, CT ops, Defensive Driving, PMCs (Private Military Companies).

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

Guess you got to take us all to jail...sad bleh.gif
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter" -Winston Churchill
"Train as you fight!"

#24 TomSplasky

TomSplasky
  • Interests:Uhh, stuff.

Posted 12 May 2005 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (Sturmgewehr @ Mar 31 2005, 10:22 PM)
Anyway, a question for Mr. Tomsplasky:

Does the law prohibit the production and import of such silencers/supressors (like the assault weapons ban) or does it prohibit the ownership and/or use of one?

Sorry for not responding, I was on a leave of absense.

"The" law does, yes, not the "assault wepaons ban" though. The Import Ban of 1986 prohibits any NFA classified devices or weapons from being imported. There are a few SOT loopholes but other than that you can't get any in here. The NFA of 1934 however, restricts the ownership of sound suppression systems, machineguns, short bareled shotguns, and other stuff like that. It regulates the ownership of them, not bans. The truth of the matter is, no matter what anyone says, is that if you havn't commited a felony and pass the background check (Which lasts about 6 months) you can buy a machinegun. Considering it was imported and registered with the BATFE before 1986.
Just as sincere as a dog does... when it's the food on your lips with which it's in love...

#25 Guest_Airsoft Paladin_*

Guest_Airsoft Paladin_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (TriChrome @ Mar 4 2005, 02:40 PM)
I believe that technically anything that silences a shot is illegal

Then my Potato is illegal

#26 WTA_Delta

WTA_Delta
  • Interests:Airsoft, Aerospace (Military Aircraft &amp; Civilian Aircraft), Firearms, Martial Arts, History, International Relations/Foriegn Affairs, Overall military (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Spec Ops), Legal Issues, HRT applications/training, CT ops, Defensive Driving, PMCs (Private Military Companies).

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:43 AM

http://www.mfiap.com...ce/silencer.htm

All MFI Fake Silencers are DESIGNED FOR REAL WEAPONS, but will also fit replica & airsoft weapons with appropriate adapters. These do NOT suppress sound in any way and are 100% legal for the regular civilian to own in all 50 US States.

That means that:

You do NOT need to pay a $200.00 Tax Stamp!
You do NOT need any special licence!
You do NOT need any special FBI background check!
You do NOT have to wait 3-6 months for BATF transfer or approval!
As these are 100% LEGAL for anyone to own in the USA! Unlike all other airsoft silencers supplied / offered by unscrupulous & ignorant re sellers (which are 100% ILLEGAL to possess in the USA) ours will NOT land you in a Federal Penitentiary for 10+ years.

The above statement is a EXTREMELY IMPORTANT as MFI is a CLASS II & III manufacture and we fully understand the nuances of the BATF regulations in this area. The BATF has ruled against all foreign manufactured airsoft fake silencers as early as 1994. If they come apart readily or can be modified easily are 100% ILLEGAL. Any fake silencer ( for airsoft, toy or real weapons) having any void / cavity / open space on the inside where gas can accumulate it is 100% ILLEGAL in the USA. Any Airsoft Fake Silencer that has removable end caps is also 100% illegal to possess in the USA. Just possession of either an airsoft fake silencer tube or end cap (no matter the material of construction) is a felony which can land you in a Federal Penitentiary for up to 10 years.

A very serious issue as there are already a number of ex-airsoft importers / re sellers serving time on this very issue. BATF does not fool around with this issue and the new Homeland Security / Patriot Act gives greater latitude to Federal Prosecutors as it is considered FELONY POSSESSION of an UNREGISTERED Title II device. Unlike other illegal airsoft import issue in regards to DOC Approved markings or not being an approved BATF importer for airsoft, which the Treasury Department does not have the time or inclination to consider top priority... They DO and ARE actively looking for anyone trafficking in airsoft silencers.

As this is a very serious WEAPONS VIOLATION (same penalty as an unregistered live machine gun) any Law Enforcement Agent would be happy to catch those who break the law in this area mostly because it is a slam dunk in court for a Felony Weapons Charge. Made even easier as many stupid re sellers advertise illegal products on-line. How much simpler could it be for agents to see these on a web site (same way as you found them) then have the judge issue a search warrant for that company. They then seize the companies's records and past invoices. Then they have probable cause for search warrants for anyone's house / address where a illegal airsoft silencer was shipped to. You do NOT want to be caught in this especially after September 11th and the subsequent passing of the Patriot Act which allows greater lead way to Law Enforcement and the Courts to issue MAXIMUM jail time to those caught as these airsoft items are considered to on the watch list as TERRORIST IMPLEMENTS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT IS FOR THIS REASON THAT MFI GOES WAY OUT OF OUR WAY TO BE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT ALL ITEMS THAT WE OFFER TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC ARE 100% SAFE AND LEGAL!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone verify this?

Edited by WTA_Delta, 17 May 2005 - 10:43 AM.

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter" -Winston Churchill
"Train as you fight!"

#27 Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov
  • Interests:Airsoft, Guns, Games, few sports, etc.

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:49 PM

That isn't the most reliable source for information. Plus I'm sure overseas retailers wouldn't ship silencers to the USA because of that. I'm also pretty sure that fake silencers made for real steel weapons are not illegal.

#28 securityboy

securityboy
  • Interests:Work, wife, kids..and of course real NFA guns, but airsoft is cheap and I can shoot in my house/yard, can't do that with my real ones...

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

Granted this deals with paintball, but same would hold true for airsoft. Straight from ATF's mouth:

http://www.atf.treas...uling2005-4.pdf
www.hansonshoot.com
or for those that do the myspace
www.myspace.com/hansonshoot

#29 paradigmsk8er

paradigmsk8er
  • Interests:about time i redid this thing...<br /><br />military, military history, history in general, USMC and my OCS stuff, airsoft, car audio, home audio, cars, my gf, fishing, whatever strikes me at the moment.

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:00 PM

ok well I made a huge post before ASF went down clarifying all this but ill summarize here for all of you. and if you doubt me, feel free to PM me and when I get a chance ill give you the lengthy story. iv egot firsthand experience on this subject and plenty of it

this is all from firsthand experience with the ATF nad dept of homeland security. feel free to argue it but this is what they told me:

a suppressor is qualified as anythin that suppresses a gunshot by 1 dB or more, as stated above. as such, anythin that exceeds this (no matter if it is reusable or not) and is designed to or can readily fit on a firearm is considered a controlled item. as such, they are technically illegal unless you ahve the proper class III goodies to go with it.

for example: King Arms 200 mm light weight suppressor suppresses a .22 LR round by 11 dB average in an ATF laboratory test. how do I know? they tested mine. this is in a repeatedly fired test. as such, my airsoft suppressor was seized and destroyed (along wiht my KJW USP since it had a threaded barrel)

I didnt get any trouble since they new it was intended for an airsoft gun but yes they can be illegal. if they can suppress the noise form a gunshot, then they break the law. am I saying you shouldnt have one? noooo. but you should be aware of the implications
IPB Image

Invictus Maneo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users