to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

ECHO 1 ASR CUSTOM SLEEPER

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mikeandwendy74

Mikeandwendy74

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

I just picked up an ASR yesterday, tore it down to have a look. Why did I get the ASR instead of the m28? less money and just as much potential if not more if upgraded properly. I have some aps-2 parts laying around and they fit perfect. First Factory 3 element piston, First factory 7/9mm stainless spring guide set, FF Power/accuracy piston head cup. The ASR hopup will take any aps-2 cut barrel, so I installed a 6.03 590 mm barrel which has the bucking 100% sealed with glue to the barrel for a perfect seal. The First Factory parts I installed are 10 times better then the junk in the upgrade kit so before you buy the kit....do your homework and spend wisely. There's a reason my cylinder alone cost $20 more than the entire upgrade kit.....The upgrade kit has metal parts...better than plastic but not that good overall quality.

Lets get to the stock internals for anyone interested in picking up this rifle.

Plastic 7mm spring guide- not very good should be replaced
Plastic piston with rubber damper- what can I say.....its plastic replace it.
Factory spring....like a toothpick next to my 210 in my Barrett, but it shoots decent
Factory hopup unit- actually not that bad....silly design with the allen screw I will customize something so that allen screw will not be needed
Factory trigger box- not bad at all metal internals...should hold up no problem.
Factory mags- 2 work perfect, one is finicky, need to shoot some lube in it and leave it full overnight.
Factory silencer adapter- Functions as an adapter and also the final barrel spacer, mine got reamed out to accept my 590mm barrel.
Bipod- definitely a weak point in this rifle poorly designed legs. I fixed the fall off the rifle issue thats simple but the legs will fold if you lean too much during shooting.
Stock- meh I am not a fan of this stock I might make something completely custom and replace it entirely, it is a little shaky I would not trust the stock to survive a fall.
FACTORY CYLINDER- groove pressed fit to bolt handle guide boss. This cylinder will handle a decent upgrade spring, but if you go alot stronger than whats already in there, replace the cylinder or it will fail...That goes for the m28 as well....same exact grooved press fit on the m28

ATTENTION ECHO 1:

I should slap your face for installing 3 little wafer thin pieces of foam to act as barrel spacers....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
This rifle will get my melted wax treatment:

Seal the barrel just past the hopup with a custom barrel spacer.Wrap the inner barrel with teflon tape. Take an empty soup can, shave some candle wax with a knife place into the can. Place the can in one inch of water in a small pot on the stove. Heat the water....the water heats the can and melts the wax...don't let the wax get too hot just get it liquid and pour away. Fill the void between inner and outer barrels with melted wax.Pour a little then quickly install the threaded end cap to center the barrel while it is cooling and forming. Repeat until the wax fills the void right up to the bottom of threaded barrel endcap. DONE This absolutely eliminates 100% of all barrel vibration and barrel movement in the rifle. This procedure will make your rifle as accurate as it can ever get. If you ever need to change your bucking or barrel for whatever reason, the barrel assembly will silde out through the same way it normally would, towards the chamber with a little help from you. PUT SOMETHING IN THE END OF YOUR BARRELLIKE A RUBBER PLUG WHEN POURING THE WAX.

This does not make your rifle much heavier at all maybe 1 pound. Definetely worth it I did this to my Barret M99 and now it pretty much shoots through the same hole consistentlyat 50-75 feet 15 shots out of 20...the other 5 shots hit the outside of the same hole 1/2 inch group

I already made a custom silencer out of pvc for this rifle, should improve the looks quite a bit :)

I'm going to do a video review of this rifle and some videos on how to upgrade everything, this will be a 100% honest review of everything from end to end. This ASR has the potential to be a real sleeper. When I am completely done with this rifle I can guarantee I will outshoot any m28 and thats a promise. But don't take my word for it, you'll see the videos if your an ASR fan.

#2 TheJawn

TheJawn

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (Mikeandwendy74 @ Feb 3 2011, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just picked up an ASR yesterday, tore it down to have a look. Why did I get the ASR instead of the m28? less money and just as much potential if not more if upgraded properly. I have some aps-2 parts laying around and they fit perfect. First Factory 3 element piston, First factory 7/9mm stainless spring guide set, FF Power/accuracy piston head cup. The ASR hopup will take any aps-2 cut barrel, so I installed a 6.03 590 mm barrel which has the bucking 100% sealed with glue to the barrel for a perfect seal. The First Factory parts I installed are 10 times better then the junk in the upgrade kit so before you buy the kit....do your homework and spend wisely. There's a reason my cylinder alone cost $20 more than the entire upgrade kit.....The upgrade kit has metal parts...better than plastic but not that good overall quality. good to know

Lets get to the stock internals for anyone interested in picking up this rifle.

Plastic 7mm spring guide- not very good should be replaced
Plastic piston with rubber damper- what can I say.....its plastic replace it.
Factory spring....like a toothpick next to my 210 in my Barrett, but it shoots decent
Factory hopup unit- actually not that bad....silly design with the allen screw I will customize something so that allen screw will not be needed
Factory trigger box- not bad at all pot metal internals...should hold up no problem. how about getting those little pieces machined? I would do it but I'm at college
Factory mags- 2 work perfect, one is finicky, need to shoot some lube in it and leave it full overnight.
Factory silencer adapter- Functions as an adapter and also the final barrel spacer, mine got reamed out to accept my 590mm barrel.
Bipod- definitely a weak point in this rifle poorly designed legs. I fixed the fall off the rifle issue thats simple but the legs will fold if you lean too much during shooting. my friend and I play without it. finding a way to keep them from folding would be a great service to everyone
Stock- meh I am not a fan of this stock I might make something completely custom and replace it entirely, it is a little shaky I would not trust the stock to survive a fall.
FACTORY CYLINDER- groove pressed fit to bolt handle guide boss. This cylinder will handle a decent upgrade spring, but if you go alot stronger than whats already in there, replace the cylinder or it will fail...That goes for the m28 as well....same exact grooved press fit on the m28

ATTENTION ECHO 1:

I should slap your face for installing 3 little wafer thin pieces of foam to act as barrel spacers....ARE YOU KIDDING ME? yeah LOL <AT> ACM quality. some of their mistakes are just laughable. I replaced them, but not with wax
This rifle will get my melted wax treatment:

Seal the barrel just past the hopup with a custom barrel spacer.Wrap the inner barrel with teflon tape. Take an empty soup can, shave some candle wax with a knife place into the can. Place the can in one inch of water in a small pot on the stove. Heat the water....the water heats the can and melts the wax...don't let the wax get too hot just get it liquid and pour away. Fill the void between inner and outer barrels with melted wax.Pour a little then quickly install the threaded end cap to center the barrel while it is cooling and forming. Repeat until the wax fills the void right up to the bottom of threaded barrel endcap. DONE This absolutely eliminates 100% of all barrel vibration and barrel movement in the rifle. This procedure will make your rifle as accurate as it can ever get. If you ever need to change your bucking or barrel for whatever reason, the barrel assembly will silde out through the same way it normally would, towards the chamber with a little help from you. PUT SOMETHING IN THE END OF YOUR BARRELLIKE A RUBBER PLUG WHEN POURING THE WAX. a pound? :( how about pushing the wax back out, cutting that into segments, and putting it back in?

This does not make your rifle much heavier at all maybe 1 pound. Definetely worth it I did this to my Barret M99 and now it pretty much shoots through the same hole consistentlyat 50-75 feet 15 shots out of 20...the other 5 shots hit the outside of the same hole 1/2 inch group

I already made a custom silencer out of pvc for this rifle, should improve the looks quite a bit :)

I'm going to do a video review of this rifle and some videos on how to upgrade everything, this will be a 100% honest review of everything from end to end. This ASR has the potential to be a real sleeper. When I am completely done with this rifle I can guarantee I will outshoot any m28 and thats a promise. But don't take my word for it, you'll see the videos if your an ASR fan.

#3 Ronin055

Ronin055
  • Interests:Family, working on My VW, Paintball and airsoft

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

Oh I don't know. The stock upgrade has gotten me out to like 240 ft with my ASR. So Im pretty pleased.

there is a threaded barrel endcap for that gun that is only a few bucks. And then there are some real cheap foam filled supressors out there.

I like your Wax idea. I was going to use insulation foam. The spray kind. But sadly enough, there was difficulty getting the barrel to not stick to it. LoL. Im wondering if you could use wax paper, or newspaper to insulate the barrel, then pour in the wax or the foam insulation. The only big draw back is getting stuff to not stick to the barrel. Hmm. Now Im thinking again. Dang it !!

Id love to see pics of your build.

Oh and for the hop up. You would need the L96 and absolutly NOT the APS2 PDI hop up chamber. I got the APS 2 and had to do a fair bit of modification to it. However the PDI L96 chamber slides right into place.
Correct definitions are important.
US Servicemen have an M4/M16 = Weapon
Paintballers have a Tippmann A5 = Marker
Airsofters have maybe a JG M4 = Gun.
We need to clairify, Airsoft "guns" are not weapons, they do not kill. They are not markers, as they do not mark. They are "guns" though.
A Rifle, has lands and grooves in the barrel that facilitate a rotation of the projectile, that are collectively known as Rifleing.

#4 Mikeandwendy74

Mikeandwendy74

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Ronin055 @ Feb 3 2011, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh I don't know. The stock upgrade has gotten me out to like 240 ft with my ASR. So Im pretty pleased.

there is a threaded barrel endcap for that gun that is only a few bucks. And then there are some real cheap foam filled supressors out there.

I like your Wax idea. I was going to use insulation foam. The spray kind. But sadly enough, there was difficulty getting the barrel to not stick to it. LoL. Im wondering if you could use wax paper, or newspaper to insulate the barrel, then pour in the wax or the foam insulation. The only big draw back is getting stuff to not stick to the barrel. Hmm. Now Im thinking again. Dang it !!

Id love to see pics of your build.

Oh and for the hop up. You would need the L96 and absolutly NOT the APS2 PDI hop up chamber. I got the APS 2 and had to do a fair bit of modification to it. However the PDI L96 chamber slides right into place.

You'll see pics pretty soon, I video'ed everything its processing right now. I waxed the barrel man its so much better and its not very hard to do. The inner barrel can't move even if you press using some serious force. I wrapped it with teflon tape before pouring. Glad to hear the upgrade kits ok, thats a good thing. Mine came with a silencer adapter, after bedding the barrel in wax, I loctite the silencer adapter on, then tried the silencer on there MUUHAHAHA :) I like it. I'll have to add some annotations about that hopup unit and the upgrade kit to the video I thought it was an aps-2 hopup unit, because my 590 mm aps-2 barrel works perfect with the asr hopup.

#5 Mikeandwendy74

Mikeandwendy74

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

Well, I got my bipod to stop folding by cranking the KRAP out of it with the allen wrench for now...at least it wont fold unless I want it to, and It won't fall off anymore if you have someone hold the rifle barrel up and stock down, then slip the bipod on then tap that clip right next to the round guide with a screwdriver quick BANG, now the bipod is locked on NICE NICE.

The wax idea, after pouring it, it adds very little weight to the rifle. It was tough to tell how much weight my barret m99 gained from waxing it because the rifle wieghs 19 pounds... so I was wrong about the weight, the rifles balance point is still at the magwell. I should have the video done pretty soon.

#6 Ronin055

Ronin055
  • Interests:Family, working on My VW, Paintball and airsoft

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Im not sure what the hop up chamber that comes in the ASR is. What it thinks it is, or what they thought it was.

I know that when I got a barrel for it, I purchased a Madbull L96 barrel.

Then when the stock hop up went to pieces(literally). I purchased a PDI APS2 hop up chamber. I was WAY wrong. So, I put some work into it and made it all functional. Now I know that due to the set screw that holds the Hop up chamber in place, And the location of the Feed port, you need the L96 replacement chanber.

If you havent, you should read the Review on this gun over at Airsoft Retreat. Nice review.
Correct definitions are important.
US Servicemen have an M4/M16 = Weapon
Paintballers have a Tippmann A5 = Marker
Airsofters have maybe a JG M4 = Gun.
We need to clairify, Airsoft "guns" are not weapons, they do not kill. They are not markers, as they do not mark. They are "guns" though.
A Rifle, has lands and grooves in the barrel that facilitate a rotation of the projectile, that are collectively known as Rifleing.

#7 MDI_Weapon

MDI_Weapon

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

Nice run down. I have been considering getting a new sniper rifle but I haven't made up my mind on what I want yet...

QUOTE (Ronin055 @ Feb 3 2011, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want an alternate route to wax which will do essentially the same but without the weight, get a can of low expansion insulating foam (make sure it is low expansion) and use that to fill the barrel. Obviously you do not want it to stick to the barrel so before you begin, you simply coat the outside of the barrel with a nice thick coat of any good carnauba car wax. You want the wax to be fairly thick but no globs of it or anything. I normally put on one coat of wax, lightly buff it off with a soft cloth and then add a second coat of wax so the second coat of wax is still slightly damp when I add the low expansion insulating foam. Let it dry overnight. The barrel should slide right out with no problem - usually just takes a slight twist and pull.

Commercial grade release agents will serve the same purpose as the car wax but will cost more - no need to waste the money.
Entirely fluent in V2 and V3, well versed in V-other. ;)
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud
carpe noctem.

#8 Mikeandwendy74

Mikeandwendy74

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (Ronin055 @ Feb 3 2011, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im not sure what the hop up chamber that comes in the ASR is. What it thinks it is, or what they thought it was.

I know that when I got a barrel for it, I purchased a Madbull L96 barrel.

Then when the stock hop up went to pieces(literally). I purchased a PDI APS2 hop up chamber. I was WAY wrong. So, I put some work into it and made it all functional. Now I know that due to the set screw that holds the Hop up chamber in place, And the location of the Feed port, you need the L96 replacement chanber.

If you havent, you should read the Review on this gun over at Airsoft Retreat. Nice review.

I'll check it out thanks

Here's a link to the video I madeand I waxed the barrel in place towards the end if anyone's interested.

Echo 1 ASR Review and Upgrades with wax and Silencer

Edited by Mikeandwendy74, 03 February 2011 - 10:45 PM.

#9 TheJawn

TheJawn

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:18 AM

nice guide
small favor: could you point me to a speedloader that has THAT adapter?

edit: hurr well it looks like the one in your video is the cyma loader which comes with a 'pistol mag adapter' thing. could you confirm that it's the same?

Edited by TheJawn, 06 February 2011 - 12:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users