to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo

GWS XM8 Build Thread

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:44 PM

So I just placed my orders for a GWS XM8 kit in grey from AEX. From Evike I ordered a JG G36K, an SRC aluminum XM8 3x scope, and 5x 50rd midcaps (transparent w/ fake bullets). I got the scope because the GWS kits "scope" is basically a plastic tube with crosshairs painted on. So total, I'm in this $310 and some change. I'll update with pics as this develops. I should be seeing my packages next week, so stay tuned.

In the mean time, thoughts, questions, concerns? Before you say it, yes it's fugly, but nobody has it, and I like owning weird guns (m712, vz.61, etc).

Edited by Spudenater, 31 March 2011 - 11:47 PM.

#2 -Griffin-

-Griffin-
  • Interests:Airsoft, Surfing, Mountain biking.
  • SOA Name: Griffin

• My Temperament:6, 4, 8, 6

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:50 PM

Nice. Good luck.

I was going to buy a GWS XM8 kit but I heard bad things about it being hard to fit on certain G36s.

#3 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (Runner @ Mar 31 2011, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice. Good luck.

I was going to buy a GWS XM8 kit but I heard bad things about it being hard to fit on certain G36s.

I heard that about some guns as well. If need be, I can do some fitting. I could have bought an SRC XM8 for about $145 shipped if I had a mind too, but I thought it would be cooler to build one from a discontinued kit. Plus the GWS is an a1 style while the SRC is an a2 style, and I prefer the former.

#4 FalconGroup6

FalconGroup6

TaskForce Trident - O D A 524 Callsign: Voodoo

• Elite
  • 3,245 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Airsoft, oh and did I say AIRSOFT! :)

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

Interesting choice to go with Spud.

I remember when the XM8 was the runner to replace the M4, very happy that didnt happen lol.

Even though the XM8 is very unique, its still pretty darn fugly.

But I look forward to seeing u post some pix of the build.
WE Gen 3 CQBR-

"The end of War comes when the other side falls"
Fast is Slow - Slow is Quick - Quick is Smooth - Smooth is Deadly
High Speed - Low Drag - SBR Operator
Gas - Gun - Guru
Long Live AWSS!!!

#5 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (FalconGroup6 @ Apr 1 2011, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even though the XM8 is very unique, its still pretty darn fugly.

My sentiments exactly, lol.

#6 EchoRecon3

EchoRecon3
  • Interests:Airsoft, anime, manga, golf, various types of video games, and occasionally writing and drawing.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:26 PM

It would be cool if there was also a Compact Carbine kit that you can swap out within minutes to make the XM8 into a CQB beast, oh, it also needs G36 PMAGs :D

Good luck on your project! Haven't seen a decent XM8 since a teammate sold his SRC.

#7 kyrativ

kyrativ

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hey, I think the xm8 is nice looking, besides it was a good weapon system, I wish the U.S. military would quit screwing around with testing and all that and replace the m4 with the scar, hk416, or acr. anyway enough with ranting, good luck with this.

#8 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

As far as I know, SRC is the only company that ever made a decent one. BE and AGM made some, but they were pretty Meh. Lpegs, you know? And I'm not real crazy about the look of the Pmags. I like the ones I ordered.

#9 FalconGroup6

FalconGroup6

TaskForce Trident - O D A 524 Callsign: Voodoo

• Elite
  • 3,245 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Airsoft, oh and did I say AIRSOFT! :)

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

Everyone has their opinion but I love the M16/M4 and would like to see it stay as the primary US military rifle for awhile longer.

I do however think they should opt to move to the 6.8SPC cartridge, which would make a huge difference on the battlefield.

But back on topic lol, Spud I think the mags u ordered were a good choice.

How long till u get the Kit installed and ready to go???
WE Gen 3 CQBR-

"The end of War comes when the other side falls"
Fast is Slow - Slow is Quick - Quick is Smooth - Smooth is Deadly
High Speed - Low Drag - SBR Operator
Gas - Gun - Guru
Long Live AWSS!!!

#10 Khazzy

Khazzy

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

Let me know how this turns out. I actually like the XM8 but there is no real good make except the SRC one. I will be following this to see how it turns out.

#11 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (FalconGroup6 @ Apr 1 2011, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But back on topic lol, Spud I think the mags u ordered were a good choice.

How long till u get the Kit installed and ready to go???

Thanks, I have a suspicion they're D-Boys, because I found some D-Boys mags just like these on RSOV. Not that I really care, a mag's a mag for the most part, and these look tacti-c00l. As for the kit, I hope to have everything together by mid/late next week. It all really depends on how long it takes Evike/AEX to ship.

EDIT: Both boxes confirmed to arrive by end of day Wednesday, via UPS.

Edited by Spudenater, 05 April 2011 - 01:22 AM.

#12 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:35 PM

So G36K arrived today. Due to an error in shipping though, the XM8 ended up in a small town outside of L.A. (-.-) I should have it be next mon. or tue... Until then, I'll just play around with the G36. I did find out BTW that the K has the same outer/inner barrel length as the C, but with a barrel extender. Kinda disappointing, considering I ONLY bought the K for its barrel length... However, the mags that I thought were DBoys turned out to be Marui! So I'm pleased with that! Here's a couple pics for ya.

#13 TyGuy94920

TyGuy94920
  • SOA Name: tyguy94920

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

The AGM isn't half bad, it has a > JG/E1 gearbox, decent barrel/hopup (though propiatary), OKay ABS. It probably ranks slightly below Gen II SCR's

And EchoRecon: http://img843.images...341/1000277.jpg

a-wink.gif

#14 EchoRecon3

EchoRecon3
  • Interests:Airsoft, anime, manga, golf, various types of video games, and occasionally writing and drawing.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (TyGuy94920 @ Apr 6 2011, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dear gawd, that is simply beautiful. I just wish Magpul PTS made the genuine airsoft G36 PMAGs so there's no need for a rickety magwell conversion, but that is good enough.

That's strange, my brother's former JG G36K had a proper stock inner barrel (which is.. 363-8=~355mm?), a strange predicament indeed. YOU ARE ONE LUCKY GUY for getting Marui mags at the price of ACM's! Grrrrrr, one of the rare plus sides from buying on Evike online, though I would not be surprised if they gave those to you just for compensating the weird barrel set you got (still, it's a win situation).

#15 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

I figured I'd replace the inner barrel/bucking anyways, so I suppose it's not that big of a deal. Also, I contacted AEX and they're sending me another package, hopefully to the RIGHT address this time. Though the new tracking no. has a destination tab of CA, so I'm afraid they may be effing up AGAIN. I emailed them, since they haven't shipped it yet, and told them not to send it to CA, we'll see if they listen...

#16 Khazzy

Khazzy

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

AEX needs to hurry up I want to see how it turns out.

#17 -Griffin-

-Griffin-

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Spudenater @ Apr 9 2011, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I figured I'd replace the inner barrel/bucking anyways, so I suppose it's not that big of a deal. Also, I contacted AEX and they're sending me another package, hopefully to the RIGHT address this time. Though the new tracking no. has a destination tab of CA, so I'm afraid they may be effing up AGAIN. I emailed them, since they haven't shipped it yet, and told them not to send it to CA, we'll see if they listen...

Are you paying with PayPal? When you sent me the money for the WA 1911 your PayPal adress was still for Ca.

#18 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (Runner @ Apr 9 2011, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you paying with PayPal? When you sent me the money for the WA 1911 your PayPal adress was still for Ca.

I changed that immediately after you told me. And I payed with a credit card I believe.

#19 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:00 AM

Wooo! I got it today, and finished assembling it about 15 mins ago. I had to jump through hoops to get my damned package, and they didn't include instructions like they said they would. I've never had so much trouble with AEX.. It wasn't easy, but now that it's done it's solid. I'll post pics tomorrow.

#20 Ronin-V

Ronin-V
  • Interests:Guns<br />Video Games<br />Gun-Fu

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:38 AM

Any fitting you have to do to make it fit?

#21 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (GunMage @ Apr 19 2011, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any fitting you have to do to make it fit?

Glad you asked. I had to file down the hop up feeding port, the part that allows BBs to pass from the mag into the chamber, to make it work. The kit had an extension from the magwell that took up the same space as the protrusion from the hop up. I could either file the hop-up, or the kit. And, well, hop ups are cheap, XM8 kits aren't so much... Also, there were no instructions included like there were supposed to be, so it took me until about 2:30AM to finish the thing via lots of trial and error. Anyways, on to the pics.

My favorite feature, the index-finger mag release.

Another note about the kit, the included "scope" is absolute rubbish. You're better off with a toilet paper roll duct taped to the top, honestly. You can't even see through it! I'm glad I got the SRC scope, and even gladder it fit with no modification necessary. Furthermore, the kit's a bit prone to splitting, so liberal application of super glue is recommended, by me anyways.

#22 SitsGep

SitsGep

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

The finished product looked good, but you spent a heck of a lot of money on it.. I think TSD makes an XM8, btw.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#23 -Griffin-

-Griffin-

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

How is the build quality? Any chance you could get your hands on/know somebody that owns a SRC XM8 Gen 3 to compare to?

Thanks.

#24 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (SitsGep @ Apr 19 2011, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The finished product looked good, but you spent a heck of a lot of money on it.. I think TSD makes an XM8, btw.

The TSD/SRC one would've been cheaper, probably $140+shipping if I had bought when I bought the g36k, but I thought it would be cooler to build one from a discontinued kit, you know?

QUOTE (Runner @ Apr 19 2011, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is the build quality? Any chance you could get your hands on/know somebody that owns a SRC XM8 Gen 3 to compare to?

Thanks.

The build quality is good as far as materials go, as well as fitment. Marginal in terms of, well, conjoinment? The splitting of the parts, it's not terrible, but requires a bit of attention. As far as the SRC goes, well, I'm the only person I know with an XM8. If I ever meet someone though, I'll check it out.

#25 Ronin-V

Ronin-V
  • Interests:Guns<br />Video Games<br />Gun-Fu

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:59 PM

My god is it sexy...

#26 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:21 AM

Next step, TBB. 6.03 methinks, I need to measure though. And you know, someone suggested a grenade launcher. Methinks an AG36 would be legit.

Yeh?

Or this

Edited by Spudenater, 21 April 2011 - 12:35 AM.

#27 emobaggage

emobaggage

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:30 AM

An AG36 replaces your entire handguard, so I'm not sure if it would fit

#28 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:36 AM

I believe a rail mounted version's available.

#29 Khazzy

Khazzy

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

There is I duno who makes it though.

#30 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

I found one my Madbull, downside is it weighs like 6lbs!

#31 KWAboi1

KWAboi1
  • Interests:Airsofting, swimming, marching band
  • SOA Name: KWAboi1

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

It actually looks pretty nice, just get to those internals and you'll have a beast of a gun.

#32 Tater73

Tater73

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (Runner @ Apr 19 2011, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.

Hey, I'm new, but I was readin you guy's forum. I have an SRC xm8 gen 3. Just bought it about a month ago. I really like it, it was a good investment. The plastic is sturdy, and the hop up and all the other internals are metal. Definitely a good thing, cause I tend to break a lot of guns. But it's very reliable. I fell in a river at a skirmish and the gun was completely submerged. Worked just fine afterwards, except the scope was waterlogged. I still haven't got it fixed, I don't have the tools to take it apart and clean it; so I gotta get a new one. But other than that, it's amazing.

#33 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (Tater73 @ Apr 25 2011, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, I'm new, but I was readin you guy's forum. I have an SRC xm8 gen 3. Just bought it about a month ago. I really like it, it was a good investment. The plastic is sturdy, and the hop up and all the other internals are metal. Definitely a good thing, cause I tend to break a lot of guns. But it's very reliable. I fell in a river at a skirmish and the gun was completely submerged. Worked just fine afterwards, except the scope was waterlogged. I still haven't got it fixed, I don't have the tools to take it apart and clean it; so I gotta get a new one. But other than that, it's amazing.

That's good to hear. I had no doubt that the SRC was solid. I'm almost certain that it's more solid than my GWS. Then again, it's not built from a 7+ year old, discontinued kit. lol

#34 Tater73

Tater73

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (Spudenater @ Apr 27 2011, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's good to hear. I had no doubt that the SRC was solid. I'm almost certain that it's more solid than my GWS. Then again, it's not built from a 7+ year old, discontinued kit. lol

Yeah, it's pretty nice. Why was the gws discontinued?

#35 Khazzy

Khazzy

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

Most likely demand was not very high or licensing issues.

#36 Spudenater

Spudenater

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:36 AM

Low demand. Though AEX has a stockpile of them. I think they expected them to be more popular. An employee told me they've over 15 in each color.

#37 Tater73

Tater73

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Spudenater @ Apr 29 2011, 02:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Low demand. Though AEX has a stockpile of them. I think they expected them to be more popular. An employee told me they've over 15 in each color.

Oh okay. Aex has just the kits, or guns?

#38 airsoftglen

airsoftglen
  • Interests:snowboarding, wakeboarding, longboarding, kayaking, xbox, photography, mountain biking, golf, pretty much anything outside. <br />Oh yea, and airsoft...

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

Is it possible to store a battery in the back? I have a spare g36 and I have been wanting to pick one of these kits up forever now. Its wired to the rear for a G&P stock so it would be an easy switch to throw this kit on.

Its just hard to justify with other projects going on.

Besides the splitting, how would you rate the quality of the plastic? Like does it feel like cheap-o clone, JG g36 plastic, or more on the lines of CA or KWA g36 plastic?

Thanks!

#39 EchoRecon3

EchoRecon3

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (Tater73 @ May 1 2011, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh okay. Aex has just the kits, or guns?

I believe AEX only have the kits; I've never heard of a GWS fully-assembled XM8, and I don't think AEX ever assembled them with internals and sold it. On the plus side, at least you'll have a wider range of parts to choose from, including really nice gearboxes, motors, barrels, hop-up, and the like.

(an upgraded Tokyo Marui v3 would simply be amazing, maybe even the KWA 2GX if you can somehow find and fit one in)

#40 airsoftglen

airsoftglen
  • Interests:snowboarding, wakeboarding, longboarding, kayaking, xbox, photography, mountain biking, golf, pretty much anything outside. <br />Oh yea, and airsoft...

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (EchoRecon3 @ May 1 2011, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe AEX only have the kits; I've never heard of a GWS fully-assembled XM8, and I don't think AEX ever assembled them with internals and sold it.

AEX might not have but when they came out in 2005, a lot of companies and smaller shops would release their "custom" guns similar to what ASGI does now. Complete kits.
You never really knew what was going into it though, and what upgrades if any at all. So there was no universal assembled XM8, just customs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users