to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

How long range are airsoft guns effective?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 FIVETWOSEVEN

FIVETWOSEVEN

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

I'm new here as I'm looking for information as I'm a newbie when it comes to Airsoft. My hobby is shooting real guns which can be used at extreme long range but I know that Airsoft guns are limited. What kind of range could I expect out of the more expensive rifles and handguns? What about accuracy with the Sniper Rifles? I'm also looking for recommendations about what brands to look at. I'm thinking under $200 (maybe over) for a rifle. I'm leaning more towards a M4 style rifle either AEG or gas depending on which one gets more range. How expensive would spare mags be?

Please bear with me as I may ask stupid questions.

#2 ServedConsistently

ServedConsistently

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Airsoft guns' range is limited by the muzzle velocity, BB weight, and spin decay. A typical stock AEG will get you 150 feet ish, depending on brand.
Anything that doesn't kill me...Has made a grave tactical error.

#3 FIVETWOSEVEN

FIVETWOSEVEN

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

What about with Gas rifles?

#4 airborne101

airborne101

If you have a problem, and no one else can help...

• Forum Administrator
  • 10,770 posts

• My Temperament:Melancholy

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

Same thing. Now if you upgrade an AEG properly, you can hit 300+ ft.

Edited by airborne101, 22 August 2011 - 08:10 PM.

#5 FIVETWOSEVEN

FIVETWOSEVEN

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

You guys have any recommendations for something under $200?

#6 Jasta

Jasta

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (FIVETWOSEVEN @ Aug 22 2011, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys have any recommendations for something under $200?

Welcome to the "which gun" rule. Sorry. ;(

BTW Echo 1 is OK but for 200 and an m4 go G&G

Edited by Jasta, 22 August 2011 - 08:48 PM.

"All real Americans love the sting of battle..." Gen. G.S. Patton

#7 DM Hackle

DM Hackle
  • Interests:Airsoft

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

That is a which gun question, which is not allowed. However, I will answer by telling you to look at CYMA guns, or g&g combat machines from www.airsoftgi.com

Just so everyone is clear, polymer is just a fancy name for plastic.

#8 FIVETWOSEVEN

FIVETWOSEVEN

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

I'm not asking for a specific gun, just what guns to look at. Asking which gun is like asking 9mm or 45ACP on gun forums. I know that asking which gun everyone will post the gun they use and it would be a never ending battle. I just want to know what brands to check out.

#9 SniperNinja

SniperNinja
    Building PCs
    Guns

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

Well a airsoft gun with no hop up and the BB traveling at 400FPS will theoreticly travel 284ft max (without air resistance factored in which will dramactically drop the range). Ive seen videos and topics on ASF here that have extermely upgraded BAR-10s hitting torso sized targets 6/10 shots at 400+ ft.
QUOTE (FAILCOPTER @ May 3 2011, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DO IT ANYWAY.

#10 Lone Sniper

Lone Sniper
  • Interests:primarily a firearms aficionado, hobby gunsmith, handloading enthusiast, ballistics adventurer. <br />Got into airsofting recently and really like it. <br />also likes computers, FPS games, anime, movies, music, working with my hands, handyman work, and design/building things. <br />I also love big explosions and general pyrotechnics.

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

I'm new to airsofting but not guns in general, I have been screwing around with guns for a long time, one of the things I've been trying to do it improving the airsoft gun.
My observations, using a quality spring airsoft rifle with a actual barrel of at least 450mm length (75 calibers) and 0.2 gram BBs <AT> 400 fps the maximum range I can send BBs out is about 120 yards. groups of about 10 feet wide (size of a VW camper), and the BB drop is about 25 feet. no ho up, minimal wind or weather variables. in comparison, a 450 fps .177 BB gun's grouping is about 6 feet wide (about the size of a Smart ForTwo) and have a 12 foot BB drop. this is just an example, using a different gun with similar technology. because airsoft guns are smooth bore, accuracy and range will never be like a real gun's. whatever a BB gun (.177 or .22) does that is about as good an airsoft will get.

both guns impact some form of spin on the projectile and have similar barrel lengths. the main difference is size & weight of the projectile. using heavier BBs range is less but trajectory is more stable and easier to compensate. lighter BBs fly further but they go everywhere. The best balance of range to BB's trajectory is with 0.33 or 0.36 gram BBs. trajectory is like a rainbow, but its very predictable. range is about 100 yards.

if you're taking about a flat trajectory, both the BB gun and airsoft gun will shoot the first 50 yards or so relatively flat. after that the metal BB curves downwards, the airsoft BB goes up a little then goes downwards.

I think the smooth bore airsoft ranges are pretty much tapped out, whatever a good quality long barrel (600+mm) airsoft gun will do is about as good as it'll get.
I'm building a airsoft rifle with the goal of the longest effective range possible, so far I have perfected my projectile, it looks like a typical 6mm bullet but with a blunt nose of a airsoft BB. the caliber is 6.2mm (0.243). accuracy is superb. the longest range I can do from my house is 130 yards, which is a tall palm tree. 20 of 20 shots is capable of hitting that trunk of the tree over and over again. my Lee Magnetic Powder scale (the highest accuracy scale I got) says the bullet's weight is 17 grains, or 1.10 grams. My F1 Shooting Chrony says FPS is 400 +/- 20. With these results I can conclude its capable of hitting a man-sized target from 300 yards. Its a mix of air rifle (Crosman 1077 co2 gas system), airsoft (shoots airsoft-type plastic projectiles) and gunsmithing (almost everything else). I just need to lower the FPS without loosing accuracy (too much joules for airsoft play), improve reliability, choose/build/design a good stock, install sights, and find a ready source of custom made soft plastic bullets. Also determine accuracy with regular airsoft BBs, which should still be decent although not superb. I believe this will be quite literally the longest range airsoft gun in the world. (that cost like 83 bucks- proving that you can have a good airsoft gun without depleting your wallet).

As for suggesting what kind of airsoft guns, I really don't know any, I'm more of a 'turn-$12-POS-airsoft-from-china-into-a-good-airsoft-worth-$80' type of guy. mostly to compensate for California's anti-gun laws that prevent me from building my own firearms.

Edited by Lone Sniper, 26 August 2011 - 03:01 PM.

#11 DM Hackle

DM Hackle

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Lone Sniper @ Aug 26 2011, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm new to airsofting but not guns in general, I have been screwing around with guns for a long time, one of the things I've been trying to do it improving the airsoft gun.
My observations, using a quality spring airsoft rifle with a actual barrel of at least 450mm length (75 calibers) and 0.2 gram BBs <AT> 400 fps the maximum range I can send BBs out is about 120 yards. groups of about 10 feet wide (size of a VW camper), and the BB drop is about 25 feet. no ho up, minimal wind or weather variables. in comparison, a 450 fps .177 BB gun's grouping is about 6 feet wide (about the size of a Smart ForTwo) and have a 12 foot BB drop. this is just an example, using a different gun with similar technology. because airsoft guns are smooth bore, accuracy and range will never be like a real gun's. whatever a BB gun (.177 or .22) does that is about as good an airsoft will get.

both guns impact some form of spin on the projectile and have similar barrel lengths. the main difference is size & weight of the projectile. using heavier BBs range is less but trajectory is more stable and easier to compensate. lighter BBs fly further but they go everywhere. The best balance of range to BB's trajectory is with 0.33 or 0.36 gram BBs. trajectory is like a rainbow, but its very predictable. range is about 100 yards.

if you're taking about a flat trajectory, both the BB gun and airsoft gun will shoot the first 50 yards or so relatively flat. after that the metal BB curves downwards, the airsoft BB goes up a little then goes downwards.

I think the smooth bore airsoft ranges are pretty much tapped out, whatever a good quality long barrel (600+mm) airsoft gun will do is about as good as it'll get.
I'm building a airsoft rifle with the goal of the longest effective range possible, so far I have perfected my projectile, it looks like a typical 6mm bullet but with a blunt nose of a airsoft BB. the caliber is 6.2mm (0.243). accuracy is superb. the longest range I can do from my house is 130 yards, which is a tall palm tree. 20 of 20 shots is capable of hitting that trunk of the tree over and over again. my Lee Magnetic Powder scale (the highest accuracy scale I got) says the bullet's weight is 17 grains, or 1.10 grams. My F1 Shooting Chrony says FPS is 400 +/- 20. With these results I can conclude its capable of hitting a man-sized target from 300 yards. Its a mix of air rifle (Crosman 1077 co2 gas system), airsoft (shoots airsoft-type plastic projectiles) and gunsmithing (almost everything else). I just need to lower the FPS without loosing accuracy (too much joules for airsoft play), improve reliability, choose/build/design a good stock, install sights, and find a ready source of custom made soft plastic bullets. Also determine accuracy with regular airsoft BBs, which should still be decent although not superb. I believe this will be quite literally the longest range airsoft gun in the world. (that cost like 83 bucks- proving that you can have a good airsoft gun without depleting your wallet).

As for suggesting what kind of airsoft guns, I really don't know any, I'm more of a 'turn-$12-POS-airsoft-from-china-into-a-good-airsoft-worth-$80' type of guy. mostly to compensate for California's anti-gun laws that prevent me from building my own firearms.

From my personal experiences, there is no way an airsoft gun shooting 400fps with a .2bb will EVER shoot 120 yards without hopup. Even with hopup this would be incredible at the groupings you say to have "calculated." I can see getting 120 FEET with 25 foot drop, but not 120 yards.
Here is a study showing the trajectory of a BB at 400 fps. http://mackila.com/airsoft/atp/
You may also want to read up on gas creep, a phenomenon that may be altering your results with CO2
And an effective range of 300 yards? You do realize the maximum effective range for a REAL ar-15 is around 700 yards?

Edited by DM Hackle, 26 August 2011 - 04:30 PM.

Just so everyone is clear, polymer is just a fancy name for plastic.

#12 Lone Sniper

Lone Sniper
  • Interests:primarily a firearms aficionado, hobby gunsmith, handloading enthusiast, ballistics adventurer. <br />Got into airsofting recently and really like it. <br />also likes computers, FPS games, anime, movies, music, working with my hands, handyman work, and design/building things. <br />I also love big explosions and general pyrotechnics.

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (DM Hackle @ Aug 26 2011, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From my personal experiences, there is no way an airsoft gun shooting 400fps with a .2bb will EVER shoot 120 yards without hopup. Even with hopup this would be incredible at the groupings you say to have "calculated." I can see getting 120 FEET with 25 foot drop, but not 120 yards.
Here is a study showing the trajectory of a BB at 400 fps. http://mackila.com/airsoft/atp/
You may also want to read up on gas creep, a phenomenon that may be altering your results with CO2
And an effective range of 300 yards? You do realize the maximum effective range for a REAL ar-15 is around 700 yards?

I was shooting out of my mom's bedroom window. 2nd story, over the street (which is always empty so no chance I'd hit anyone) and some BBs hit a parked car just about 120 yards away. they were just harmlessly bouncing off, so I figured I'd shoot a few more to get an idea how do they fly that far and what kind of accuracy I was getting. probably sent about 200 BBs towards that car, (I believe its a Mercedes 300 Turbo-Diesel), with about 60% of them actually hitting the car. probably 30% went off into the slight breeze, some actually drifting over the car and into a neighbor's backyard. that's over 134 yards. I suppose in actual airsoft play I wouldn't be shooting from up high (2 floors above) to down low, but if I wanted to I can aim up and spray a bunch of BBs and hopefully I can walk them on target. The question is how long range are airsoft guns effective, I take it meaning as being able to hit someone, well my answer is about 120 yards. if we're playing airsoft in my neighborhood and if you're where that parked car was, and I'm shooting my my mom's window, I'd say 1 in 8 shots from my airsoft sniper will hit you.

the effective range of a real AR15 varies by shooter skill and target type. in the military they do take down enemies at up to 1000 meters with their M16/M4 rifle. The thing is that bullets are still deadly far beyond the rifle's effective range. effective range is just a measure given to help gauge the range & accuracy of the weapon, in the average person's hands. If I have an AR15 rifle and skilled with it, I should be able to make a kill shot beyond whatever 'effective" range of the gun is. I'm already shooting my .22lr rifle beyond "effective" range. .22's effective range is about 100 yards. that's how far an average person can shoot a .22lr rifle accurately. and the bullet retains enough power to kill whatever the person is shooting at. I on the other hand, have repeatedly pushed hte envelope, and have shot at ranges up to 400 meters. with careful shot placement, quick adjustments between shots, I can actually put a bullet on target from 4X the effective range!. and would it kill?you betcha it would! (or you can stand there 400 meters away and I try to put a bullet in your head.)
since airsoft games counts any hit as a kill, what I said above really applies. It really doesn't matter if I hit you in the head or the foot, in airsofting you're still dead. much less pressure for very high accuracy, effective range is actually quite far with airsoft guns if you just aim a bit high.

about those charts- thanks, they're rather informative. but they don't take into account of aiming above the target to compensate for projectile drop. which I often do with guns involving scopes.

#13 Suzaku

Suzaku
  • Interests:Airsofting<br />Monster Hunting
  • SOA Name: Suzaku

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Lone Sniper @ Aug 30 2011, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was shooting out of my mom's bedroom window. 2nd story, over the street (which is always empty so no chance I'd hit anyone) and some BBs hit a parked car just about 120 yards away. they were just harmlessly bouncing off, so I figured I'd shoot a few more

Dude, never ever shoot your airsoft gun at anyone else's property. If I found out that someone was doing this, there'd be hell to pay.

Only shoot your airsoft gun in private property or the middle of nowhere at targets that you have set-up personally.

Testing your airsoft gun is not worth the legal trouble that you can get you and your family into.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!
AEG Hair Trigger Guide
New for sale: Gas Inlet Valve O-rings, Graw Vest, CAW M203, MP7 stuff and more.

#14 shlunka

shlunka
  • Interests:Philosophy, airsoft, anything mechanical, complicated things, guitar.

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (Lone Sniper @ Aug 30 2011, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was shooting out of my mom's bedroom window. 2nd story, over the street (which is always empty so no chance I'd hit anyone) and some BBs hit a parked car just about 120 yards away. they were just harmlessly bouncing off, so I figured I'd shoot a few more to get an idea how do they fly that far and what kind of accuracy I was getting. probably sent about 200 BBs towards that car, (I believe its a Mercedes 300 Turbo-Diesel), with about 60% of them actually hitting the car. probably 30% went off into the slight breeze, some actually drifting over the car and into a neighbor's backyard. that's over 134 yards. I suppose in actual airsoft play I wouldn't be shooting from up high (2 floors above) to down low, but if I wanted to I can aim up and spray a bunch of BBs and hopefully I can walk them on target. The question is how long range are airsoft guns effective, I take it meaning as being able to hit someone, well my answer is about 120 yards. if we're playing airsoft in my neighborhood and if you're where that parked car was, and I'm shooting my my mom's window, I'd say 1 in 8 shots from my airsoft sniper will hit you.

the effective range of a real AR15 varies by shooter skill and target type. in the military they do take down enemies at up to 1000 meters with their M16/M4 rifle. The thing is that bullets are still deadly far beyond the rifle's effective range. effective range is just a measure given to help gauge the range & accuracy of the weapon, in the average person's hands. If I have an AR15 rifle and skilled with it, I should be able to make a kill shot beyond whatever 'effective" range of the gun is. I'm already shooting my .22lr rifle beyond "effective" range. .22's effective range is about 100 yards. that's how far an average person can shoot a .22lr rifle accurately. and the bullet retains enough power to kill whatever the person is shooting at. I on the other hand, have repeatedly pushed hte envelope, and have shot at ranges up to 400 meters. with careful shot placement, quick adjustments between shots, I can actually put a bullet on target from 4X the effective range!. and would it kill?you betcha it would! (or you can stand there 400 meters away and I try to put a bullet in your head.)
since airsoft games counts any hit as a kill, what I said above really applies. It really doesn't matter if I hit you in the head or the foot, in airsofting you're still dead. much less pressure for very high accuracy, effective range is actually quite far with airsoft guns if you just aim a bit high.

about those charts- thanks, they're rather informative. but they don't take into account of aiming above the target to compensate for projectile drop. which I often do with guns involving scopes.

Never shoot at anyone's property regardless of damage. 120 yards, that's much more likely to be your max range if you can only hit it 1/8 times, as I usually measure effective range with torso sized targets 7/10 times at least. .22 rifle shooting targets at 400 yards, I laughed a lot when I heard that, maybe a barn or something. A .22 is limited by the low weight and also the low velocity of it's bullet design. I have shot many RS guns from .22s to muzzleloaders, and I know from experience the maximum effective range of a .22, and it's nowhere near 400 yards. Now, a .222 could reach that, but you more than likely couldn't hit the intended target. You do know that even a 30-06 with a standard 3-9 scope almost certainly won't go effectively beyond 500 yards right? Now, if it's a bull barrel 30-06 bolt action with a leupold, I can see 1000yd shots with it. The military doesn't train with 1000 yard M4 shooting, so far that I know, an M4 pretty much maxes out effectively at 500-700 yards. The M24 maxes out at 1,200yds effectively, and it's a larger round, and a gun designed to shoot far. But, so far that I know, an airsoft gun can be tuned to about 300-400ft effective range MAX, and that's usually only on Highly Tuned DMRs that require lots of time and money, and even then, it's still hit or miss.
Click HERE to join the ASF Chatroom!

#15 EDI 1st

EDI 1st
  • Interests:lol<br />airsoft<br />video games<br />flying
  • SOA Name: EDI 1st

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

But, if you decided to go beyond the field limits a-wink.gif
< Still can't wait when I have enough money to get a Fusion Engine.....

And to Lone Sniper....
Like Slunka said, effective range is the maximum range that you can strike a target within certain CTC.
Other wise you might as well say that your airsoft gun's effective range is over 9000 feet because you can spam from the top of a cliff and hit something way down with just that few shots.

Edited by EDI 1st, 30 August 2011 - 04:50 PM.

-Umbrella Armories LLC
Cal Poly Pomona Aerospace Engineering

Apparently I have too many guns to be listed in the signature.

#16 treinelduchon

treinelduchon

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

What is the best bolt action long range sniping airsoft gun?

#17 Puffin

Puffin

I like my beats fast, and my bass down low.

• Elite
  • 1,229 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft<br />Dubstep<br />Boxxy<br />Parkour/ Freerunning<br />Music<br />Boxxy<br />and Boxxy.

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (treinelduchon @ Aug 31 2011, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the best bolt action long range sniping airsoft gun?

I don't know, you tell me.

#18 Jasta

Jasta

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

"...From my Mom's bedroom window..."

You should be banned for admitting such. And your Mom should spank you and take away your toy guns for a while.

"All real Americans love the sting of battle..." Gen. G.S. Patton

#19 Star_folder

Star_folder
  • Interests:Airsoft.

• My Temperament:2,5,7,10

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

Alright, I'm closing this thread, it's been derailed twice now, and the original topic had been answered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users