to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Magpul ACR Flash Hider

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jordan460

jordan460
  • Interests:Airsoft, Graphic Design

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

My Magpul PTS Masada ACR came with an orange flash hider installed, and a black one came in the box. Is there a certain way to exchange flash hiders? I tried twisting with brute force and it's not working :P

#2 alberty

alberty
  • Interests:( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• My Temperament:( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Careful with the force if you're not sure. The threading on the Magpul PTS Masada is 14mm+, clockwise. That means you need to twist counter-clockwise / anti-clockwise to get the flash hider off. Maybe you have been twisting it off the wrong way.

(This is my automatic signature content)

WTS: Madbull Daniel Defense RIS + Gemtech mock suppressor

#3 jordan460

jordan460

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

maybe I was... I don't even remember. do you know any tricks to help loosen it up before twisting off?
I've heard before that soaking in hot water helps make it easier to twist off plastic tips, is that true?

#4 verisimilitude

verisimilitude

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

I worked on a Masada for a friend a short while ago. I tried literally everything, and the thing wouldn't budge. Eventually, took a dremel cutting wheel to the orange plastic and made multiple slices in two directions, taking care not to go so deep as to hit metal. Then we pryed each little piece off, one by one, with a screw driver. They use some kind of space-age epoxy on there, so no amount of hot water, hairdryers, is going to shift it. Basically, if you want it off, you have to destroy it.

I can see no logic in glueing it on so tight, and at the same time providing the black alternative flash hider.

And yes, the threads are CW, like G&P.

PS: with the way the outer barrel fits into the receiver (quick change handle), you definitely don't want to exert too much twisting force on the flash hider if the barrel is still in the gun.
Some pics from the collection: Eight Different M16s and M4s & Ten Pistols

********************************************************************************
For an account of recent experiences with barrel nuts, receiver threads, front rails, and the different sizes of R.S., airsoft metric, and G&P imperial, see here: Barrel nuts and receiver threads

#5 jordan460

jordan460

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (verisimilitude @ Apr 8 2012, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I worked on a Masada for a friend a short while ago. I tried literally everything, and the thing wouldn't budge. Eventually, took a dremel cutting wheel to the orange plastic and made multiple slices in two directions, taking care not to go so deep as to hit metal. Then we pryed each little piece off, one by one, with a screw driver. They use some kind of space-age epoxy on there, so no amount of hot water, hairdryers, is going to shift it. Basically, if you want it off, you have to destroy it.

I can see no logic in glueing it on so tight, and at the same time providing the black alternative flash hider.

And yes, the threads are CW, like G&P.

PS: with the way the outer barrel fits into the receiver (quick change handle), you definitely don't want to exert too much twisting force on the flash hider if the barrel is still in the gun.

Well thanks for the tips! I guess I'll just destroy it as you said :P

#6 TyGuy94920

TyGuy94920
  • SOA Name: tyguy94920

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

My solution was to take a pair of vice grips and clamp down until the flashhider split in half

#7 roecar

roecar
  • Interests:Airsoft, guns, and good airsoft/gun design.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Usually if you warm up the tip of the flash hider with hot or boiling water it twists off. The locktite they use is weakened by heat.

Airsoft Perks Project: Hunted, Weaponsmith, BB leacher, Expert negotiator, Pack rat, Human shield, Geardo, Parasite, Customizer, Quartermaster, Jinxed, Fragile, Pimped Gun, Village *tart

#8 verisimilitude

verisimilitude

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (roecar @ Apr 9 2012, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Usually if you warm up the tip of the flash hider with hot or boiling water it twists off. The locktite they use is weakened by heat.

This definitely wasn't loctite on the Masada.

Even when I'd sliced and diced the plastic into 1/4" squares, I still really had to pry hard with a screwdriver, wedging it under the pieces, to separate the plastic bits from the metal threads underneath. It was some heavy-duty glue or epoxy.

PS: the gun in question was acquired from ASGI fairly recently. Other production runs or other suppliers may vary, of course.
Some pics from the collection: Eight Different M16s and M4s & Ten Pistols

********************************************************************************
For an account of recent experiences with barrel nuts, receiver threads, front rails, and the different sizes of R.S., airsoft metric, and G&P imperial, see here: Barrel nuts and receiver threads

#9 jordan460

jordan460

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thank you all. I'll give the water trick a try, even though I don't think it will work since mine is also from a recent asgi shipment... Sounds like I'll have to break it off

#10 _TheOverman_

_TheOverman_

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

I actually got mine off with the water trick.

I mean, it takes time and you should master the art of patience, but eventually it will come off.

#11 jordan460

jordan460

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

I ended up using the smash-it-with-a-hammer method. It worked :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users