to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

What do you base your gun purchase on, and why do you field what you do?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 No_6

No_6

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Do you buy a rig specifically based on practical considerations, on realism, cost, 'cool' factor, or a combination of all of these?

For me, I'm kinda hooked on gas guns. Since I bought my WE SCAR, I absolutely love the thing. Can't really hit much with it, and I haven't quite gotten the hang of handling it yet (and it's currently in the shop to boot), but for me, it is so much more fun to shoot than my AEGs, that it's pretty much all I want to shoot. From the way it sounds, to the recoil, to the realistic # of rounds, and realistic function... it just does it for me. I wouldn't stand a chance with it in the field, but I'd still be tempted to use it as my primary just because I enjoy it so much more. Who knows. When it gets back and I install the 380mm Angry Gun TBB and the new bucking...

Now both my JG G36K and Echo-1 P90 have had the crap modified out of them. The G36 should be the most accurate gun, but to be honest... I really don't enjoy shooting it much, and I don't shoot very well with it. Though it has a 450mm inner barrel, my groups are significantly better with my P90 and its 247mm barrel, even at close ranges. I enjoy shooting my P90 almost as much as the SCAR and find it is much more comfortable than the G36, so much so that I'd be tempted to use it as my primary. Maybe it's just about messing with the set-up right on the G36, but we'll see.

#2 VAairsoft

VAairsoft

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

I look at both qualities: internal and external. I also look at the type of gun, see if I like it or not. Go over millions of forum posts & video reviews (non retailer).

#3 sniperx2s

sniperx2s

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

lol for me its....

is it vsr-10 compatible???

saw the king arms blaser. started to drool. saw that it wasn't 100 percent vsr-10 compatible. started to cry...

-RS SVD -ARES AW338 -ARES SR-25 -CM M4 -CA P90 -KJW Double Barrel

-G&P PTS MOE

#4 Tortoise

Tortoise
  • Interests:Airsoft and other stuff

• My Temperament:7,2,6,9

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

TM MP5K PDW, I use 99% of the time CQB
-Legal anywhere (240fps)
-Folding stock for corners and mobility
-Short barrel, CQB ideal
-Rail mount for optics helps a lot (EO replica)
-Lightweight

So yeah

#5 Lefse

Lefse

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

Well, internal quality is of course important, but it's also important that it's comfortable to use, and it's also a plus if it's not something half the people at my field already own. I'm not exactly a hipster, I just like some diversity.
I LOVE vertical grips, one of the reasons I chose the AUG, in addition to it's imo sexy look. I also think it's the most comfortable assault rifle there is. It's well balanced, got a nice and fat butt(stock), the front grip is perfectly placed for my armlength, it just really fits me. It feels like wearing pants that are perfectly sized, not too big and not too small. I also love how easy it is to work on. I didn't have that much love for my AUG at first, but that was because I couldn't get the damn thing to work right. This season it's different though, now it's a finetuned, supereffficient battle rifle, and I love it. :D

I've got a TM MP5K too, becuase well, it's not that much bigger than a pistol, but can be tuned to shoot like a rifle. Oh, and don't give me that censored2.gif about short barrel length, it currently has an effective range of 160 feet, but that's easily increased to 200 feet with some minor tuning and possible heavier ammo. It's a TM, so the hop-up is already superior. You gotta love that, rifle performance in a pistol sized package. My MP5K was my absolute favorite before, and it still have a special place in my heart, hehe.

Last but not least, AK's. I love AK's, they are just so, efficient. Sleek, sturdy and can look pretty sexy with the right mods. You guessed right, I got a vertical grip on my AK too, an AK-104 to be exact. I'm not too fond of the seletor system for the AK AEG's, too many parts and joints that can create various issues. One more good thing with my AUG, simplest fireselector there is.

To conclude this mess, my priorities are: Reliability, performance, looks/ergonomics, and price, in that order. Reliability is important to me, so I don't bother with burst modes or other fancy functions, or extreme ROF or power, I like my guns simple and well performing. My guns are by no means under powered, I've gone with a middleground to get a balance between reliability and performance.

Edited by Lefse, 30 May 2012 - 04:28 AM.

#6 SHWELL

SHWELL
  • Interests:Airsoft, Photography, and Music Production

• My Temperament:Choleric

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

For Airsoft....

1. model Preference
2. Cost/Value
3. Maintainance Needs and my Familiarization with it
4. Upgradeability/Personalization
5. *How Common that particular model is

Explantion:

*#5 may also be #1 depending on the purchase.. Sometimes I will buy a gun just because it is not a common Model, and overlook the other reasons when doing so.

1. I am an M4 guy. I have always had a thing for them in my heart. Families first gun when I was a child was an AR15 platform, and I always said I would buy one of my own when I got older..

2. Cost/Value... These go hand and hand for me. I will spend whatever is needed to aquire a gun as long as I deem it worth the cost. Example... I will Only buy G&P Platforms New (Unless it is a specific model like a Beta AK).. For me, their cost is matched to their Value quite well. I do understand the extra cost involed in making them as reliable as I need them to be, but it is really a non factor based on what I spend to get them there (Less than $40).

3. Familiarization.. This one falls in with #1. I am very comfortable with most guns that have V2 or V3 Gearboxes. I can work on almost all the pthers as well, but I am extremely comfortable wit hthe 2 listed.

4. This comfort and experience also helps when it is time to upgrade/Modify. I am able to make high FPS guns or High Speed Guns with little to no effort. Also, the ability to Equip the guns with accessories to make usage more comfortable and/or more versatile for my styles of play.

I have guns in my collection that perform differently, but all of them suit my playing style and can be used at any given time. I have a couple that are not my style, but because they are rare, I had to get them. Nothing like taking my Type 97 out and playing with a bullpup with tons of range and accuracy.

The Harder I work, the Better I live..... I'm retired, what am I supposed to do now?
Die. Please tell me if I'm right. Love, vietec <3

#7 Lon3Wo1f

Lon3Wo1f

Extreme Collector, UCSD Class of 2015

• Authorized Seller Free
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Airsofting, Computer Building, and most of all Star Wars!
  • SOA Name: Lon3Wo1f

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

For me, my list goes something along the lines of this:

1. Have I owned one before?
2. How often do I see one?
3. What's the resale?
4. What's the price?
5. How's reliability/how hard is it to make it reliable?

1. I love owning tons of different models, and I have owned everything from a TM G36 to a VFC BAR to a SG M200 to an Asahi M60e3. Generally, I like to experience new things, so the more different it is from my current collection, the more desireable it is in my eyes.
2. Having a rare gun on a field always fills me with joy when I have guys crowding around to see what it is. Everyone and their grandma has a M4, so I generally stay away from that platform (with the exception of classics) and stick to more exotic things like Mk17s, SR25s, SL9s, etc.
3. My collection is funded off my ability to flip my old guns and pick up new ones. If something doesn't hold its value, I will never buy it. I generally go for discontinued guns to make sure they will keep a decent return rate. Because of that, the only clones I pick up are the ones I plan to keep or are/were rare (A&K Masada during the entire Magpul debacle).
4. I never pay retail for anything. Ever. That's my standing rule and has served me well. Notable example was picking up my VFC BAR for $250, flipping it for 850.
5. Whenever I get a gun that I plan to keep for personal usage, reliability is key. I want to be able to pick up something and not worry about it breaking down. I'll spend the money to send it to more reputable techs or get bulletproof platforms to ensure I am always ready to play. By platforms, I mean things like a P* Fusion Engine for my SG M82 or the robustness of the Asahi BV system.
QUOTE (theyoungone10 @ Jun 15 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats. You're the new Necro Post Champion! Over 6 years. WOW
QUOTE (Automobilie @ Jul 27 2010, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem is that they can sue you if they're still alive.........so you probably have to knife them or something.....
QUOTE (defasturias @ Sep 16 2010, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However I feel more comfortable holding a strangers d**k than a G36.
QUOTE (aznriptide859 @ Mar 15 2011, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or Antarctica, land of the automatic electric penguins.
QUOTE (Purple_ninja @ Dec 6 2012, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I don't like hop up. Maybe people do, but I do alot of long range combat, and the hop up just screws me up.

#8 Jerichow

Jerichow

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

I guess it depends on the kind of gun I'm looking at, but like Lone3Wo1f puts it, the more unique it is, the more likely I am to want it. However I do have two M4/M16 platforms I do really like that get quite a bit of attention regardless of being M4/M16's. One is my ICS M16 with a Star SIR system, and the other is my CXP-08, both of which despite being M4/M16 variants, are very uncommon.

When choosing a gun though, these are my priorities:

1: Role - Support, Assault, CQB, etc - Knowing what position I want to play kinda rules out 90% of the choices right away
2: Gearbox/Internals - I'll be tearing it down and tuning it of course, but I want decent quality parts I won't have to replace 5000 rounds in. It also needs readily available replacement parts of course, in the instance something does break.
3: Model of the gun - This is personal preference, but ties into the last dictation
4: Battery Space - I pretty much use nothing but large batteries save for a select two or three guns; having room for a massive battery is pretty important.

Edited by Jerichow, 31 May 2012 - 06:40 AM.

"The path of least resistance is the past of least reward."

QUOTE (Slippy @ Jan 6 2012, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Version 6 is my favorite, version 3's trigger assembly is a punch to the nuts.

QUOTE (BigEd @ Nov 6 2011, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am 40 now... I enjoy airsoft artillery support. One shot = Seven kills.
My version of CQB is leveling the entire building.
///ed///

#9 Tortoise

Tortoise
  • Interests:Airsoft and other stuff

• My Temperament:7,2,6,9

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Lefse @ May 30 2012, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, and don't give me that censored2.gif about short barrel length, it currently has an effective range of 160 feet, but that's easily increased to 200 feet with some minor tuning and possible heavier ammo.

Hehe, I played a few outdoor games with it and it was great there too, shoulda mentioned

#10 fcma172

fcma172

• My Temperament:4,6,8,6

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Here's what I look at when I buy a gun...

1. Do I want it?
2. Do I need it?
3. Is it high quality/reliable or will it need lots of work?
4. Is it worth the price I see it for?

Reason 1 is pretty self explanatory. There are 2 AEG's I've bought just simply because I wanted them, a G&G Femme Fatale and a Star Ika Zuchi. The Femme Fatale was bought new, the Ika Zuchi was used. The rest of them I wanted for a while, and just worked on making the money to make the gun I desired.

Reason 2 is one that's come up more recently. I have enough rifles and pistols in my collection to satisfy my needs at the field. My needs for collecting? Not even close, but I don't have a lot of extra income right now to just collect guns. Currently, I wont buy an airsoft gun unless I can see myself getting a lot of use out of it.

Reason 3 is one of the more important ones to me. I like to go to a field and play with my guns and gear without worry. I play rough too. Diving, hitting walls, falls, etc etc. I need a replica that is not only robust internally to keep up with me but one that externally can take a hit or two. This reason is why when I bought a Trishot, I only bought one after finding a TM for a good price. ($75 for the rifle with 7 TM shells, a case and sling) The other brand trishot shotguns get the job done, but they don't hold a candle to either the TM Performance or the TM Reliability. Same goes for gear/magazines. That is why I own all high end midcaps. (Magpul top shelf ($30 a mag) and TM Standards)

Reason 4 is one that dictates a lot of my purchases. I recently bought a TM 4.3 HiCapa. It was priced right at $90 for the pistol with a tightbore, metal recoil guide and upgraded recoil spring. (Roughly $220 retail). $35 later it has a new safety, beaver tail, loading nozzle and lightweight BBU, and a 5.1 frame so it fits into my Serpa. So for only $125 I have a highly customized TM pistol which I can probably resale for what I invested into it. Now if the pistol's base price on craigslist was $150, I would have passed on it despite wanting an extra pistol for when I have friends come to play with me at the fields.

I also sometimes make purchases simply to resale and profit from. EX, I bought a RIS M203 launcher with 6 shells (Some non operational) for $60. I fixed all of the shells and sold everything for $200+.

#11 Bomb has been planted

Bomb has been planted

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

1) Must be V3 gearbox.
2) Must have good range and lasting internals.
3) I love folding stocks, all the aegs I've bought except my RPK have one.
4) Unbreakable.

I field AKs because I'm completely used to them inside and out and love the simplicity. I don't need optics customization flashlights red dots vert grips or magpul money waste. I need something that fires bbs accurately when a magazine is fed into it, doesn't break no matter what nature throws at it or how many time I bang it into a tree, and keeps on chugging long after the M4 commandos have retired to the safezone to fix their guns. And that's an AK. Though I am going to switch to a galil AR primary soon.

#12 Animalmother

Animalmother

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (Bomb has been planted @ May 31 2012, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Must be V3 gearbox.
2) Must have good range and lasting internals.
3) I love folding stocks, all the aegs I've bought except my RPK have one.
4) Unbreakable.

I field AKs because I'm completely used to them inside and out and love the simplicity. I don't need optics customization flashlights red dots vert grips or magpul money waste. I need something that fires bbs accurately when a magazine is fed into it, doesn't break no matter what nature throws at it or how many time I bang it into a tree, and keeps on chugging long after the M4 commandos have retired to the safezone to fix their guns. And that's an AK. Though I am going to switch to a galil AR primary soon.

I chose guns nearly the same way. I like smaller weapons.(even my G36C is the biggest I'll get)
Nearly the same idea for me.
I prefer the V3 Gearbox and external/internal durability.
I am the player who doesn't take airsoft too seriously and doesn't play to often I only customize it for me externally, that's why I went with KWA.
I want my gun to shoot. Years ago, I had many guns and used to work on them. I sold probably 15 - 20 guns on here before the trader rating even existed.
Now I am happy with my KWA G36C G2X(although I do like the structural design and body of the ARES better since I find out about it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users