to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Motor Magnets

motor magnet neodymium

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 seancsnm

seancsnm

• My Temperament:4,2,10,8

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

So I've spent some time searching for the magnets that are used in airsoft motors. Particularly, the neodymium magnets. However, this has been to no avail so I thought I'd go to you all in my quest. A very cheap motor can be made into a pretty high performance motor with just upgraded magnets so a low-cost source of neo magnets that fit the motor cans would be pretty awesome.

For reference, these are the dimensions of a stock magnet I've got:
OD: 27.5mm
ID: 20mm

Height: 32mm

Width: ~22mm

where OD=inner diameter of motor can, ID=inner diameter of magnets firmly seated in motor can, Height=height of magnet in the direction  of the motor shaft, and Width=width of magnet from flat side to flat side (the part that sits against the non-round portion of the motor can).

What I have found are magnets from this supplier: https://www.apexmagn...s/motor-magnets

However, none of the magnets listed are particularly close to the size needed.

I've also found a reddit article where a guy got some neo magnets custom manufactured, but it was a one-shot deal and the cost of 3-4 neo motors: https://www.reddit.c..._motor_magnets/

And I've found that FireStorm Systems sells them (or sold them at one time - they've been out of stock for who knows how long): http://www.firestorm...or-magnets.html

I'm not sure how neo magnets are manufactured, but I'd imagine there are few enough manufacturers out there to where a single  manufacturer supplies magnets to multiple motor manufacturers. I'm wondering what the economy of scale would be to have a few hundred or thousand of them made for resale. I'm not sure the number of people who do Frankentorque motors is large enough to be able to sell that sort of quantity...

So, anyone have any clue where such magnets might be found right now for a reasonable price?

#2 Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3

• My Temperament:Sanguine

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:40 AM

Yeah...people just buy a dead motor and scavenge the old units.

Thing is...there isn't a viable market for just selling "motor magnets".

I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

#3 seancsnm

seancsnm

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:38 AM

Yeah...people just buy a dead motor and scavenge the old units.

Thing is...there isn't a viable market for just selling "motor magnets".

Probably the case. Part of my motivation was that I just purchased a lot of airsoft components which included 25+ cheapie motors and it'd be nice to reuse them somehow.

Edited by seancsnm, 23 November 2016 - 12:39 AM.

#4 Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

That is how you use them...gut them and build a frankie motor.

I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

#5 Lefse

Lefse

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:28 AM

That's what I did with my old TM EG700, I put the armature in a KA neo can, and now I have a nice and torquey motor. They say an EG1000 armature in a strong neo can makes for a ridiculously strong motor.

#6 seancsnm

seancsnm

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

It looks like that Firestorm website I originally linked to still stocks neo magnets, but that they are waiting on a new shipment at the moment. I may pick a few up at some point and rebuild a few motors with the neo magnets.

#7 Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:04 PM

How much are the magnets, plus shipping?

You can get complete donor motors for about 15.00 shipped.

#8 seancsnm

seancsnm

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:53 AM

How much are the magnets, plus shipping?

You can get complete donor motors for about 15.00 shipped.

Don't know about shipping or money conversions, but the link is here: http://www.firestorm...or-magnets.html

Where do you typically get donor motors?

#9 Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:46 AM

If you want the deal and to know your items...you must do research.

Well...the site is UK...so its British Pounds.

~1.2 USD to GBP so those magnets are 15,.00 and you have to pay shipping on top of that.

Not that shipping matters because they are out of stock.

But, if they were in stock...you would have to pay at 30.00 to have it shipped to the US.  Unless you pay for surface shipping which means it gets here in 7 weeks for 15.00.

With all that hassle...just buy a Tienly GT30000K for 50.00...

#10 seancsnm

seancsnm

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:02 PM

If you want the deal and to know your items...you must do research.

Well...the site is UK...so its British Pounds.

~1.2 USD to GBP so those magnets are 15,.00 and you have to pay shipping on top of that.

Not that shipping matters because they are out of stock.

But, if they were in stock...you would have to pay at 30.00 to have it shipped to the US.  Unless you pay for surface shipping which means it gets here in 7 weeks for 15.00.

With all that hassle...just buy a Tienly GT30000K for 50.00...

Unless you buy a large number for a bunch of broke guys and redo a bunch of motors at once. Plus, they are N52 magnets which are theoretically the strongest you can get (assuming constant size  and good initial magnetization). Don't know what type the ones in most oem neo motors use.

For now, I've gone with the SHS/Lancer Tactical high-torque motor. Got it used for a decent price, and it's got very strong magnets and is super nice to disassemble/re-assemble (rather than having  tabs, it has screws).

#11 CHRIST0PHER

CHRIST0PHER

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

I would also like at least a couple pairs of good neo magnets.  One pair would be to upgrade my current G&G stock Combat Machine motor.  Another would be for the Krytac motor I'm receiving in the mail today.  I would like more in the future. 

"Premium" parts in Airsoft always seem to have a much jacked up price, if you were to be able to buy good Neo magnets for about $10 a pair that would make upgrading your stock motors a lot cheaper than the price of a premium motor (the minimum price for a really good motor seems to be about $30 + shipping at the moment).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users