to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Noob Looking for tech

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wrx_fella

wrx_fella

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Hello,

So I have been collecting airsoft guns for a few years now but have never played at a proper field. I am a very experienced paintball player and have only decided now to give airsoft a try as I feel as though the experience may be fun in a very different way.  I recently acquired a used Ares Amoeba am013 and would like to use it as a base platform for upgrading.  Upon tearing it apart, I found the only upgraded part was an AMP T5000L as well as the gearbox looking as though it was trying to be radiused.  

So I am wondering if there are any Techs or any services offered here on the forums that would assemble my gearbox for me for pay.  Here are the things I would like done so far:

SHS air nozzle

Lonex bevel and pinion helical gears

Shimming

AOE Correction / sorbo pad

SHS cylinder head

Ares Metal Spring guide

Ares Trigger Type B

I will be providing all of the parts so all the tech has to do is just assemble it for me if that was not obvious already.  Possibly wanting to replace all the gears but have not decided quite yet. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

I want this to be a solid reliable piece.  I have built a version 7 gearbox before and I just do not have the time for another build.  Any techs interested please let me know or if anyone knows where I can find a good tech, please point me in the correct direction.

Thanks!

#2 Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3

• My Temperament:Sanguine

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:46 AM

The following questions are to determine your needs:

Why do you want helical gears?

Other than to get the AEG running why are you swapping functional parts for other parts of the same quality?

How high of a FPS are you running that you want sorbo?

I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

#3 wrx_fella

wrx_fella

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

The following questions are to determine your needs:

Why do you want helical gears?

Other than to get the AEG running why are you swapping functional parts for other parts of the same quality?

How high of a FPS are you running that you want sorbo?

Well In the car world, I understand that Helical gears run a bit smoother and quieter. And upon pulling the motor out of the grip, the pinion gear apeared to be damaged, thats why I am really looking to replace the pinion and bevel Gear.

As for replacing the other functioning parts, I just wanted to get better air seal for the compression, as well as adding strength for the spring guide. The trigger is pretty much just for my own enjoyment.

The goal for FPS would be right under 400. I just understood that correcting AOE was a good thing and that sorbothane was the way to do it.

Edited by wrx_fella, 18 June 2017 - 08:57 AM.

#4 Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

Okay...you have some misconceptions.

Before you "fix" something you need to know if it's even broken.

The last Ares mechbox I cracked open did not require any pads...it had near ideal AOE.

Helical Gears are "difficult" to shim in Airsoft.  I would stick with flat gears.  If your pinion gear is chewed up...just replace that with a new one.

Trigger I under stand...its just for looks.  But, bear in mind the Ares mechboxes uses micro switches.

Compression seals is not the part.  its what you do to the parts.  leave it stock and seal it up for a lower cost with new o-rings and teflon tape.

I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

#5 wrx_fella

wrx_fella

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

Sounds good. What about the air nozzle then? Would it be better to replace the stock one with an o-ring one? And should I leave the spring guide as well?

#6 Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:27 PM

Another misconception that its an upgrade if you install a nozzle with an o-ring.

Note:  This is Airsoft...things are not made to specs.  Things are made to guidelines.  New parts can sometimes be a downgrade.

In your case...do you even know if you have a nozzle leak?  Air pressure takes the path of least resistance and with that it seldom goes "back" behind the tube to escape...it goes forward.

Many makers have perfectly good tolerances between nozzle and cylinder Airtube - TM, G&P, VFC...only the sloppy makers use nozzle with o-rings to compensate for shoddy componentry.

And in many cases dropping in an o-ring nozzle can "retard" smooth nozzle movement...which is a bad thing.

#7 wrx_fella

wrx_fella

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:39 PM

Well this is great to hear. Thanks so much for your help! It will definately save me time and money!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users