to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Gbb's In Cold Weather

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MikhailKalashnikov

MikhailKalashnikov
  • Interests:Airsoft (of course) - Dagorhir - Modern firearms - writing

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to make GBB's work better during winter and cold weather?
They call me Trainwreck.

#2 camoman

camoman
  • Interests:Airsoft(#1) ,Atv Riding(Honda 250 ex rules!, I love riding at pismo!),cars,video games, airplanes(favorite is the A10 thunderbolt and the F14), And Airsoft Forum(obvious)

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (MikhailKalashnikov @ Mar 7 2006, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to make GBB's work better during winter and cold weather?

hold you mag in your shirt, roll it up so that its warm, then in a few minutes put it in the gun. This is the only trick I know of to keep your gun running good in the cold. (it temporarily works too)
I currently have no signature and don't care. :D

#3 :LeprousTermite:

:LeprousTermite:
  • Interests:http://<br />http://www.extremetoaster.com/ (cool website w/ games n stuff)

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:38 AM

Use a step up of gas type, or a mixture.

Example: Gun works fine with Green Gas during the summer, use Red Gas or a Green/Red mix during the winter. Use multiple mags and limit firing to prevent seals from freezing.

Join the Boycott on Cybergun Products!

#4 DwayneDays

DwayneDays

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:05 AM

At what temperature about do GBB guns start having these problems?
SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED!
IPB Image

#5 OGACHOBI

OGACHOBI

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:13 PM

try leaving the gas tank inside when ever posssible and keep the clip at least a little warm by putting it in your shirt and try lubing the inside of the gun and clip.

#6 MikhailKalashnikov

MikhailKalashnikov
  • Interests:Airsoft (of course) - Dagorhir - Modern firearms - writing

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:25 PM

Thanks, all.
They call me Trainwreck.

#7 DwayneDays

DwayneDays

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:01 AM

for real though what temperature do they start sucking at?
SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED!
IPB Image

#8 New-bie

New-bie

I want to see how long i can make this member title thingy befor

• 1,956 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft. CS:Source. BF2.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:05 AM

I keep them im my shirt pocket for a while.

#9 Paisley Pirate

Paisley Pirate
  • Interests:Fencing Instructor for 20+ years. I teach historical period fencing and modern fencing, as well as a martial art.<br /><br />I ran an indoor Airsoft Field and Store. Now just do outside games and vending.<br /><br />US Army back in the day, NG and ROTC route... <br /><br />Current real weapons: yes<br /><br />Airsoft should be treated with respect. It can be a fun and interesting sport.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (DwayneDays @ Mar 9 2006, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for real though what temperature do they start sucking at?

Depends on the gun and the cycle rate.

Generally, tho, if you are using green gas, by about 40F you probably would want to be looking at red gas.

Same thing with R134A if you use it, consider green gas by around 40-50F, and red gas at about 20 or so.

Again, this is not hard and fast. If you like to snap off 4 or 5 shots quickly, you may start experiencing freeze up by 50 or even 60F... it is dependant on the gun, too.

The larger (heavier) the mag, the longer for the heat to bleed out of it, and so the longer before it starts having temperature issues.

Hope that helps.

(I see a possible article for me to write.... I'll have to experiment on some guns...)

Forgot something else you can do.
Get some of those little handwarmer packs from sporting goods, and keep them in your pocket with your gas mags... to keep them warm.

Edited by Paisley Pirate, 09 March 2006 - 02:51 PM.

-THE Paisley Pirate- <=== Read at your own peril
Need a Gun worked on? Fast Turn Around. Any Make. References.

#10 Guest_BattlePriest_*

Guest_BattlePriest_*

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (Paisley Pirate @ Mar 9 2006, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends on the gun and the cycle rate.

Generally, tho, if you are using green gas, by about 40F you probably would want to be looking at red gas.

Same thing with R134A if you use it, consider green gas by around 40-50F, and red gas at about 20 or so.

Again, this is not hard and fast. If you like to snap off 4 or 5 shots quickly, you may start experiencing freeze up by 50 or even 60F... it is dependant on the gun, too.

The larger (heavier) the mag, the longer for the heat to bleed out of it, and so the longer before it starts having temperature issues.

Hope that helps.

(I see a possible article for me to write.... I'll have to experiment on some guns...)

Everything Paisly said is basically correct. All of this will be covered in my pisoleer article (If I ever get a chance to continue writing it) I would like to stress though, that the numbers Paisly Pirate quoted are VERY loose.... and VERY dependant on what brand and model gun you have.

Also, in my experience... HFC 134A gas loses its punch well before 50 degrees F, even in guns designed for it (Any gbb made in Japan) And you will probably want to change to green gas before then. And with the execption of a few GBBs recently on the market that are actually designed for it... you should never use Red Gas unless its lower than 40 degrees out.\

Basically... heres the break down for GBBs and Ambient temp.

Japanese GBBs Or any gun with a plastic slide (Which are designed for HFC 134A)

60/70F+ : Use HFC 134A
40/50F thru 60/70F : Use Green Gas
Less than 40F : Use Red Gas

Most Taiwanese, Korean, Chinese made GBBs (With metal slides)

50F+ : Use Green Gas
Less than 50F : Use Red Gas

Select WE HiCappa models are designed for Red Gas at much warmer temps, but you should only use Green Gas if its really warm... just to be safe.

Regardless of what brand or model gun you have... ALWAYS make sure you keep your gun clean, dust free and properly lubricated with a silicone based lubricant between each usage. (Properly lubricated, not excessively coated with lubricant... over lubrication can be worse than no lube)

Also, the colder it gets, the slower you need to fire... as with each shot you are lowering the temperature of your magazine.... if you shoot too fast or too much.... your mag valve will freeze and crack. This is why you should NEVER use a select fire GBB in full auto mode in cool or cold weather.

NBBs are entirely different... and I don't know enough about them to give you advice in gas usage.

#11 gaijinondisplay

gaijinondisplay
  • Interests:Wilderness travel &amp; survival, Aikido, Search and Rescue, Viticulture

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (DwayneDays @ Mar 8 2006, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At what temperature about do GBB guns start having these problems?

I usually don't notice a big problem until around 30-35 degrees. Around 40 degrees you might notice a drop in FPS or a slower cycle rate but... not a huuuuuge effect until near or below freezing (unless you're on hte trigger constantly).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users