to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo

G&p 30mm Aimpoint Replica

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kicjow4116

kicjow4116

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:20 PM

G&P 30mm Military Style Aimpoint Replica

The red dot, the Army, the legacy. The legacy that is the Aimpoint Red Dot is known of by every airsofter. It seems that one must have a red dot to make their gun look more "special forces" or "cool", and I'd say that's an understatement. WARNING: Lots of pictures ahead.

Background

Here's a little background on the real Aimpoint: It is called the Aimpoint ML2, which is the military version of the scope. It was the only model certified by the Army after rigorous testing, such as dropping from 12 feet, waterproof to 75 feet, and boasts a 5,000-10,000 hour battery life. That's right, you just read that. You could leave the real one on for a YEAR and still have battery power to spare.

The Airsoft version

Now on to the airsoft version, I bought the G&P 30mm Military Style Aimpoint Replica. I know it's a mouthful, but I decided to include it's full name. It is also simply known as the "G&P Aimpoint" for short. I bought it off of Redwolfairsoft for $53 shipped, it costs $33 without the shipping. I ordered on Sunday, it arrived on Thursday. It really was Wednesday, but there was nobody at my house at 10:30 A.M. I ran through the rain after school just to come see this thing.

I got home, and saw a FedEx package on the floor inside my front door, and immediately went up to my room and ripped it open. Here's what I saw:

No indication of the packaging of what's really inside. When I picked the box up, it felt heavy and was bigger than I expected. I tenderly opened the box to see the following contents:

It includes the Aimpoint fully assembled (with batteries in and everything!) and an allen wrench for removing the mount from it if needed. I immediately opened the plastic bag and picked up the Aimpoint. Here's a picture of what it looked like:

Construction and Build Quality

I first noticed the full metal construction, this thing felt like a solid piece of kit! It is big and hefty, weighing a fairly heavy and solid amount. I felt like I was holding a real Aimpoint in my hand, it felt nearly indestructable. Almost the same feeling I had when I first held my Surefire flashlight. It has a nice matte black finish, kind of similar to a real USP slide. It has a metal mount that is a quick detach style, just screw it on. It comes with two flip-up covers pre-installed, and I'd have to say they're nice quality. They flip up when you flick them, due to spring loaded action.

Function

Well, enough about how it looks and feels, but how well does it work? I found that the knob facing me adjusts the brightness. Clockwise makes it brighter, counter clockwise makes it dimmer. The dot has 5 brightness setting, with the last being "super-bright". It's very easy to see in dark lighting on 1 and 2, 3 should be fine for general indoor/outdoor use, 5 being for when there is a lot of sunlight. Here's a picture of the dot (can't remember what setting):

Usefulness

Every penny of my $53 was definately worth it. This thing considerably reduced aiming time and target acquisition (from my own bedroom) and I can use it with both eyes open. Definately a positive, no more aligning iron sites and closing one eye. The dot also stays in the same place wherever you more your head (called no parallax) and where the red dot is, the BB should go. I haven't had a chance to use this in the field, but I'll update after Saturday's game and let you guys know. The dot can also be adjusted by using a screwdriver.

Mounting

I have a Tokyo Marui M4A1, and decided to mount it right away. All I had to do was take off the carry handle and put the red dot on there and tighten the mount. The mount will fit on any standard 20mm rail. And after I tightned the fit on the rail (the rail itself) there was no wobble and it was absolutely solid. I love aiming with this thing, it brings a smile to my face. I can definately say this has a place in my heart. Here's a picture of it mounted to my M4:

Pros and Cons

This is a great red dot. I am in love with this thing. Here are my pros and cons of this nifty little sight:

Pros:
Full metal construction
Durable, feels like a rock
Cheap for such a good replica ($53 shipped from HK, $110+ in US)
5 brightness settings, visable dot
Easy to mount and remove
Easy to find batteries
Flip-up covers definately a plus, don't get in way either
Can be mounted to almost any gun that has a 20mm rail
Easy to aim, very easy
Best addition to any M4/M16 rifle
Dials can't be lost thanks to the rubber holding them together

Cons:
Flip-up covers may fall off (due to tiny metal rod holding them to the sight
Lense MIGHT be able to get damaged by BB (simple $10 BB mesh/net found on websites can cure this)
Red glare from sun might give you away in the forest
Doesn't clear the front sight......

Conclusion

This is a great value for a great sight. I would definately recommend it to any M4/M16 owner. Adds a great deal of "coolness" to your rifle. I can see it will help in the field and will be my most used accessory. Here's some awesome pictures to finish off:

Thanks for reading!

Edited by kicjow4116, 09 March 2006 - 08:20 PM.

THE WESTERN ARMS XCELERATOR HYBRID IS SOLD

IPB Image
This has to be an oxymoron "Best quality materials (made in Taiwan)" from AirsoftAtlanta
IPB Image

#2 spetz316

spetz316
  • Interests:Airsoft<br />import cars<br />football

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:00 PM

great review, you had everything needed to write a great review with alot of detail.

it looks cool on your m4, does the reddot have a selection between red or a green dot? that would be great, because some of the reddots have a selection between red or green. and it seems that green dots come out better outdoors, its alittle bit clearer than the red dot

Edited by spetz316, 09 March 2006 - 06:02 PM.

#3 dandadude102

dandadude102
  • Interests:I like paintball, airsoft, hunting , outdoor sports, SOCOM3, airsoftforums.com!

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

I have to get something like that cause my red dot sucks.
IPB Image

#4 kicjow4116

kicjow4116

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (spetz316 @ Mar 9 2006, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great review, you had everything needed to write a great review with alot of detail.

it looks cool on your m4, does the reddot have a selection between red or a green dot? that would be great, because some of the reddots have a selection between red or green. and it seems that green dots come out better outdoors, its alittle bit clearer than the red dot

Well, you are in luck. G&P just made a red/green dot version for this. I just opted not for it because I heard it didn't have as many brightness settings, it has 2 for each color. Mine has 5, and I really didn't need a green dot. Here is the red/green version from Redwolf:

It's called G&P Military Type 30mm Red / Green Dot Sight

It's probably the first or second thing under sights/scopes.

I think that the red would be fine for outdoors, it has a super bright setting that is VERY bright. It should be fine outdoors, but I'll let you know once I field test it.

Only problem is it sits too low, so I'm trying to take the front sight off, because it's in my way.

IPB Image
This has to be an oxymoron "Best quality materials (made in Taiwan)" from AirsoftAtlanta
IPB Image

#5 kicjow4116

kicjow4116

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:39 PM

UPDATE

Adjusting

Here is a picture of the Aimpoint with two of the adjustment screws taken off. It is very unique and handy that the rubber strap is there, it allows unscrewing of the dials and keeps them hooked together so when you unscrew 1 or 2, they still stay on the gun. These dials are turned with a flathead screwdrive, the one on the side is for horizontal adjustment and the one on the top is for vertical adjustment. Turn the horizontal one clockwise and it moves the dot left, and the opposite is true for turning it counter-clockwise. Turn the vertical adjustment know clockwise and it moves the dot up, opposite for counter-clockwise.

Another interesting feature is the o-rings that are at the base of the threading for the dials, which makes the scope virtually waterproof. The o-rings keep out water and secure the fit. The batteries are located in the third knob the rubber is attached to, and they are spring loaded. Two lithium, tiny, circular batteries are in there. Overall, I am very impressed with the adjustment. It clicks nicely and adjustment is easy. I just zeroed it today for about 100-120 feet, very nice. The third setting is very visible in the day, I would suggest 1 or 2 for night. Also, the sight's dot sits barely above the front sight. I just look at the dot and un-focus on the sight, so it basically seems that only the dot is there. I'd like a higher mount, but currently do not have the funds.

IPB Image
IPB Image

#6 DevilsFox

DevilsFox
  • Interests:Airsofting, Freeriding

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:06 PM

someone keeps telling me that the L mount sits too low to properly use it on your m4. Is that true? Seems like it should be about the right size
A flag... A symbol, a meaning that is worth more than its materials or any amount of money. The U.S. flag is no different. The flag stands for more than 50 states and 13 colonies. The lives lost to protect it, the bullets spent to preserve its peoples and meanings. The Red... the White... the Blue... no one should forget what they mean, what they represent. Give us your poor and your hungry. For we are Strong. As a nation, we should never forget what that grand old flag represents. When ever you see that flag, take your hat off, salute, remember. Never forget those whom have fought to keep what you stand on free.
IPB Image

#7 Guest_TriChrome_*

Guest_TriChrome_*

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:14 PM

It's kinda true. When using the stock mount it comes with, your regular sights will line up in the middle of the red-dot (or maybe even a little higher). Most people like their sights to be in the lower 1/3rd of the aimpoint viewing area; and you'll need a new mount which has a riser to get them like that (or forget about that and get flip-up sights).

#8 kicjow4116

kicjow4116

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (TriChrome @ Mar 14 2006, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's kinda true. When using the stock mount it comes with, your regular sights will line up in the middle of the red-dot (or maybe even a little higher). Most people like their sights to be in the lower 1/3rd of the aimpoint viewing area; and you'll need a new mount which has a riser to get them like that (or forget about that and get flip-up sights).

Yeah, Trichrome is right, on my gun my red dot has been adjusted so it basically sits on top of the post for my front sight, a little to the left. I would prefer a higher mount, but I don't exactly have any money now. I remedy this by just looking straight at the red dot and focusing on that, and it basically fades the front sight entirely out of my view, I barely notice it.

P.S. Is this ever going to be moved into the proper section? Instead of just sitting in the application section?

IPB Image
IPB Image

#9 Guest_TriChrome_*

Guest_TriChrome_*

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:56 AM

Approved and Moved.

#10 kicjow4116

kicjow4116

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (TriChrome @ Mar 16 2006, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Approved and Moved.

Thanks TriChrome.

IPB Image
IPB Image

#11 Hammerchop

Hammerchop
  • Interests:Kickin them ol boots up, and airsofting

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:56 PM

where would u get a higher mount for this scope on a m4?

IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image

#12 Conrad

Conrad

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (Hammerchop @ Apr 11 2006, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
where would u get a higher mount for this scope on a m4?

I bought a 3/4" riser from Brownells for $33. It works perfectly. The riser helps to use the Red Dot when wearing Goggles. With a face mask, you still can't get down low enough to look through the site.

BTW, I bought a TruGlo Red Dot for $59. In my opinion, it is a better buy than a Chinese made knock off.

#13 kicjow4116

kicjow4116

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

I'm back and with some updates. I was right about being worried about the thin metal rod that holds the protective caps on, one of them fell off and now I can't have the flip up cover on the back on there anymore. I took it off and I'm fine with just having the front one.

Battery life is better then I expected. I accidentally left the red dot on after Monday's game a-nonod.gif . It is three days later and I just discovered it was still on and working. The dot looks faded and not as strong on the lower levels but is still fine on the highest setting. So the battery life is good, I'll be looking for more batteries soon though.

IPB Image
IPB Image

#14 Mofomilitia

Mofomilitia
  • Interests:Any kind of history but especially military history. Economics and sociology, the modern military, firearms and firearms technology. Also backpacking/hiking and similar outdoor activities, wrestling,

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:01 AM

Just want to add you can buy a scope mount on for on top of the rear iron-sights for 7.00 on airsoftatlanta, shorty, or probably most sites. I have one and it is perfect.

But hey, is there a way to not have the front site on your gun without permanantley destroying it?

#15 weee

weee
  • Interests:Military<br />Airsoft<br />Milsim<br />Airsoft replicas<br />Real steal firearms<br />Vehicles<br />Patriotism

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for a great review, I will certainly buy this when I get some money.

Thanks again, great review. a-thumbsup.gif
IPB Image

#16 NOSintake

NOSintake
  • Interests:playing football, video games, and now airsoft

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

yes, im def looking into this. only thing holding me back is my paintball mask. I cant exactly line up my sights with the paintball mask on. I would hate to spend the money on this sight, and not be able to fully use it until I get goggles, and helment
Current Loadout: G&P M4A1, KWA G19
Storage Weapons: TM M9, WE 3.8 Hi Cappa

IPB Image
IPB Image

#17 solizone

solizone
  • Interests:I am a Christian, I'm chinese but was born in new york and only left the country to Canada. I would want my future career to be a Law Enforcement Officer, possibly with Seattle or Bellevue Police. I love Glocks, Scars, Sniper Rifles, and the Rifle.<br />Video Gaming:<br />Usually First person shooters with the exception of Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter. Platform and games includes Battlefield 2 on the PC and Ghost Recon advanced warfighter and Rainbow Six Vegas on the Xbox 360.<br />Airsoft Of Course:<br />I collect airsoft weapons only because I don't know any airsoft fields or airsoft players other than me in the area and I don't have the proper equipment, time, or AEG's.<br />Television:<br />Some of my favorite shows are 24, American Idol, Friends, , Mythbusters, Futureweapons, Animal planet, and many more. Also, and my number one favorite, Whose Line Is It Anyways!<br />Other Hobbies are:<br />sleeping, sometimes eating, I'm also very slim.

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:14 AM

To solve your scope's height problem, try this mount. it's a rail that goes on top of the carry handle. You can get that almost every where. They have some at airsoftgi.com shortyusa.com and at most if not all firearm dealers. costs around $15 to $20. Also, I'm getting a G&P aimpoint red dot from ehobbyasia when it arrives (it's been like 10 days now! and it still hasan't arrived). The M4 is the Dboys full metal M4A1

Edit: I just found out how old this thread is. a-thumbsup.gif

Edited by solizone, 27 December 2007 - 04:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users