to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

- - - - -

Illegal To Paint Clear Guns Black?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Officer_Matlack_*

Guest_Officer_Matlack_*

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:37 PM

Clear guns don't have orange tips...so if you paint it black you're not painting the orange tip...so is it legal or what?

#2 Guest_aka Erky_*

Guest_aka Erky_*

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

If there's nothing illegal with removing an orange tip, then it's perfectly fine to paint your clear gun black, so go for it.

#3 CookieMonster

CookieMonster
  • Interests:Eating, Sleeping, airsoft, soccer, video games

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

Well, painting it black and taking off the orange tip isn't illegal, but it makes it more dangerous and even though you shouldn't take any of your guns out in public, painting it black and without an orange tip makes it more risky to be thought as a real gun.
Click this thread for more info about my AK
-CA M249 MKII
-TM AK47
-CA G36k
-AE Tac Master(WE High capa)
Hero Arms G3 Drum mag for sale!!
CA M249 MKII for sale!!!

Want to sell Classic Army M249 MKII

#4 Guest_aka Erky_*

Guest_aka Erky_*

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:27 PM

If a police officer sees a gun that looks real, orange tip or not, he WILL treat the situation as if you had a real gun. Orange tips provide a false sense of security, they do nothing.

#5 44_Magnum

44_Magnum
  • Interests:Cycling

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (aka Erky @ Jan 20 2007, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If a police officer sees a gun that looks real, orange tip or not, he WILL treat the situation as if you had a real gun. Orange tips provide a false sense of security, they do nothing.

Just so people don't get mad at Erky, he knows what he's saying. Except in California, I beleive.
PM me if you think I am the greatest thing to bless this planet.

#6 Freelanczer

Freelanczer

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:14 PM

it'snot illegal to not have an orange tip, you just need to have your gun in a gun bag
atleast that's how it is in ca

#7 44_Magnum

44_Magnum
  • Interests:Cycling

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Freelanczer @ Jan 20 2007, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it'snot illegal to not have an orange tip, you just need to have your gun in a gun bag
atleast that's how it is in ca

Oh. That's the same in the rest of the U.S. I stand corrected.
PM me if you think I am the greatest thing to bless this planet.

#8 TEN36VX

TEN36VX
  • Interests:Rock climbing, four wheelin', and of course airsoft.

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:58 AM

Actually it is illegal to remove the orange tip or paint your clear gun black in California per PC 12553(a)(1).

And yes, orange tip or no, an officer will treat it as a real gun. Last week I assisted a local agency with a felony extrication of two subjects from a vehicle after the contact officer observed the butt of what turned out to be a pellet gun. Both occupants sat with guns aimed at their face until additional officers responded and removed them from the vehicle. Moral of the story: Use gun cases.
10% luck
20% skill
15% concentrated power of will
5% pleasure
50% pain
100% reason to remember the name.

#9 Proud Soon to be soldier.

Proud Soon to be soldier.
  • Interests:I'm interested in Science alot in engineering and I plan on joining the US Special Forces, I've been training since I was 5 and I love America and the US army until death. <br />My Email is gabehofer2@yahoo.com<br />I have a Younger Brother and lots of friends in the military.<br />I've spent my entire life preparing for the SF and I won't back down. More info about me is my Step Mother and my father live in Tucson AZ my step mom works at a Hospital Trauma unit and I live here in SLC Utah with my real mother and my Grandmother and little brother. I like airsoft because it includes tactics simulated combat and team work which I feel may help in the future. I love football and I used to play for the Spartans and am waiting to go to 9th grade to join a tackle football team near me. I will be attending Highland High in Salt Lake City for high school. I will join their JROTC program. I also LOVE rock climbing.

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (TEN36VX @ Jan 25 2007, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually it is illegal to remove the orange tip or paint your clear gun black in California per PC 12553(a)(1).

And yes, orange tip or no, an officer will treat it as a real gun. Last week I assisted a local agency with a felony extrication of two subjects from a vehicle after the contact officer observed the butt of what turned out to be a pellet gun. Both occupants sat with guns aimed at their face until additional officers responded and removed them from the vehicle. Moral of the story: Use gun cases.

AS he says be very very carful with that. I advise NOT doing it. Get a gun case if you do.
We really don't want you getting hurt. At least I don't. a-famerican.gif

#10 Airsoft Monkey

Airsoft Monkey

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:15 AM

There has been so many topics about california laws...

Search for them

#11 Night Fire

Night Fire

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:47 PM

There's nothing wrong with painting it black, manufactures paint it clear just for you to be safe.

#12 Death_Swing

Death_Swing
  • Interests:-Airsofting<br />-Hanging with friends<br />-Watching movies<br />-Games :P

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

ehh I wouldnt do it mess up the guns skin but theres a reason why its clear or if the gun has an oragne tip it is illegal if you don't have what the law says then don't ask why your gun got taken away. but I know what you mean I hate the clear and oragne tip but I would leave it as it is

#13 Guest_Xhado_*

Guest_Xhado_*

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Death_Swing @ Mar 7 2007, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ehh I wouldnt do it mess up the guns skin but theres a reason why its clear or if the gun has an oragne tip it is illegal if you don't have what the law says then don't ask why your gun got taken away. but I know what you mean I hate the clear and oragne tip but I would leave it as it is

It is NOT illegal to paint an orange tip or clear body black.

#14 snakedoctor47

snakedoctor47
  • Interests:Airsoft,action movies,military history

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Xhado @ Mar 7 2007, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is NOT illegal to paint an orange tip or clear body black.

Actualy it is illegal to paint over the orange tip, but it is not illegal to replace the flashider or muzzle brake with an after market flashider or muzzle brake! If you chose to paint any airsoftgun and brandish it in public expect to be arrested or worst case shot by someone who thinks you are carrying real steel! I would follow the real steel laws as far as tranporting your guns ie: in a case and locked in the trunk of your vehicle.

#15 Guest_Xhado_*

Guest_Xhado_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

Show me the legislation where it says altering your property is illegal. If you brandish an Airsoft gun with an orange tip, the same thing will happen if you do the same without one.

#16 TEN36VX

TEN36VX

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Xhado @ Mar 23 2007, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Show me the legislation where it says altering your property is illegal.

Here's two quick ones...
QUOTE (California Penal Code)
PC§ 12090. Altering Identification Mark on Firearm
Any person who changes, alters, removes or obliterates the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice on any pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, without first having secured written permission from the department to make such change, alteration or removal shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison.

12553. (a) (1) Any person who changes, alters, removes, or
obliterates any coloration or markings that are required by any
applicable state or federal law or regulation, for any imitation
firearm, or device described in subdivision © of Section 12555, in
any way that makes the imitation firearm or device look more like a
firearm is guilty of a misdemeanor.

And there's abunch in the Vehicle Code...

Edited by TEN36VX, 05 April 2007 - 08:01 AM.

10% luck
20% skill
5% pleasure
50% pain

#17 dmtsguitarist

dmtsguitarist
  • Interests:Airsoft, Airsoft forums, Going to the local shooting range, watching Tv, learning all I can about the Army, and watching war movies.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (TEN36VX @ Apr 5 2007, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's two quick ones...

And there's abunch in the Vehicle Code...

The first one states that it is illegal to change gun markings. Like the markings on a Real Steel M16 (or at least I think).

The second one I think it would only apply to places like California. But why are these laws found in Vehicle Code?

And why would it be illegal to paint over it (change it from the orange to black) than to just take off the orange flash hider and replace it with a black one? Its the same process really.
Im so cool I don't need a sig!

#18 NY_Eric

NY_Eric
  • Interests:Live life to the fullest, regret nothing.

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (Night Fire @ Feb 2 2007, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's nothing wrong with painting it black, manufactures paint it clear just for you to be safe.

lol

You can do what you want with your gun, just don't bring it into the public.

MY GUNS // CA M15A4 // KWA USP // KJW p229 // ACU USER // CA SCAR-L // CA AK-74 Steel // KWA m1911 PTP
** ASF SELLER IDEA **

#19 TEN36VX

TEN36VX

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:04 AM

QUOTE (dmtsguitarist @ Apr 5 2007, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The first one states that it is illegal to change gun markings. Like the markings on a Real Steel M16 (or at least I think).

The second one I think it would only apply to places like California. But why are these laws found in Vehicle Code?

dmtsguitarist, if you didnt catch it I was responding to Xhado's comment...
Actually 12090 has nothing to do with Airsoft, both are applicable only to CA, and both are from the Penal Code (ref. the quote header).
QUOTE (dmtsguitarist @ Apr 5 2007, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And why would it be illegal to paint over it (change it from the orange to black) than to just take off the orange flash hider and replace it with a black one? Its the same process really.
Both are illegal; painting it would be "altering" the markings, changing out a colored flash hider would be "removing" the markings, and both "makes the imitation firearm or device look more like a firearm". See there?

None of which would be an issue if one was to play responsibly and therefore not be contacted by law enforcement, who would therefore have no knowledge of said modifications...

Edited by TEN36VX, 10 April 2007 - 04:06 AM.

10% luck
20% skill
5% pleasure
50% pain

#20 Guest_Xhado_*

Guest_Xhado_*

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:21 AM

I'm talking federal laws, nation wide regs.

Every state, county, city ect may have their own laws.

#21 The Solution

The Solution
  • Interests:airsoft (Obviously haha) Anything outdoors related, archery, gaming, music, military related stuff, cars. Pretty much it.

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(California Penal Code)

the first one mentioned was basically irrelevant. This one however only deals with the removal of required markings. It doesnt say that an orange tip is a required marking. And this also specifies state or federal laws. State laws are different practically everywhere. Is there a code saying "all replica firearms require a permanently fixed orange tip"? there may be, I might remember reading one but I cant remember it. If anyone finds it that would be appreciated.
98 Custom for trade!

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."- General George S. Patton
"Men are like steel. When they lose their temper, they lose their worth."- Chuck Norris
"As you think, so shall you become."- Bruce Lee

#22 jaren

jaren
  • Interests:airsoft, real steel weapons, movies

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:33 PM

PC§ 12090. Altering Identification Mark on Firearm
Any person who changes, alters, removes or obliterates the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice on any pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, without first having secured written permission from the department to make such change, alteration or removal shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison.

this is in relation to the serial numbers and colt/bushmaster markings on FIREARMS in acordance with the next law airsoft guns are not firearms the are imitation firearms. and look for the laws in WASHINGTON where the person in question lives not california so get the laws that apply to the question.

ok so federal codes is that the orange tip is only for importation in WASHINGTON where the person in question lives not california so get the laws that apply to the question.

-cliff

sig made by nightfire

#23 Sniper assassin

Sniper assassin
  • Location:The recent changes page on Wikipedia, looking to snag vandals
  • Interests:Dogfights (THE TV SHOW ABOUT PLANES) airsoft, and Wikipedia.

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

I'd just like to add that my friend DID paint his clear guns black. It might make the cocking mechanism on a pistol stick, as it did his. I wouldn't really do it, but as long as you keep your gun in a case and not play in your backyard, I'd think it's OK.
A hardcore airsofter is not always someone who has all the cool gear and guns, but can be someone who buys from Big 5. It all depends on their spirit. If you beleive this too, put this in your sig.
Put this in your sig if you are Wikipedian and proud.

#24 TEN36VX

TEN36VX

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:25 AM

JC, I realize that 12090 has nothing to do with airsoft, as stated...
Again, I was simply responding to Xhado's comment.

Secondly, I only bring up CA law since people constantly make blanket comments about legality without regard to state or juris.

Thirdly,
QUOTE (jaren @ Apr 10 2007, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and look for the laws in WASHINGTON where the person in question lives not california so get the laws that apply to the question.

Officer_Matlack's profile says he's in Richmond Indiana... don't think WA law would help him much either.

As far as I can tell, there is no state laws regarding airsoft in IA, exception being a bill in the works prohibiting them on school grounds or buses. If you were playing recklessly that could fall under IC 35-45-1-3(a)(1), Disorderly Conduct, fitting under the defition of "tumultuous conduct". But no regs on colorization.
I would check with your local juris, whether it be city or county for further.

Edited by TEN36VX, 13 April 2007 - 05:53 AM.

10% luck
20% skill
5% pleasure
50% pain

#25 FMGuard

FMGuard

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (TEN36VX @ Apr 13 2007, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
JC, I realize that 12090 has nothing to do with airsoft, as stated...
Again, I was simply responding to Xhado's comment.

Secondly, I only bring up CA law since people constantly make blanket comments about legality without regard to state or juris.

Thirdly,
Officer_Matlack's profile says he's in Richmond Indiana... don't think WA law would help him much either.

As far as I can tell, there is no state laws regarding airsoft in IA, exception being a bill in the works prohibiting them on school grounds or buses. If you were playing recklessly that could fall under IC 35-45-1-3(a)(1), Disorderly Conduct, fitting under the defition of "tumultuous conduct". But no regs on colorization.
I would check with your local juris, whether it be city or county for further.

Every airsoft gun I have purchased here in Maryland, I have had to sign a paper verifying that I am 18 or older, and informing me that if I alter the orange tip in any way, that I am facing state and federal prosecution.

#26 Night Fire

Night Fire

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:42 PM

Is it illegal to paint an orange tip black? No, it's not. So why would it be illegal to paint the gun black? They make it clear just like they make the tip orange, to 'make it look like a toy'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users