to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

National Forest

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 crossfire

crossfire
  • Interests:Airsoft, snowboarding, snowskating, trampboarding, Hunting, fishing, anything outside.

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

I sometimes play on national forest land, is this a problem or should it be ok if we are away from the public. We play miles from any public area.

EDIT: All caps removed.

Edited by Xhado, 22 March 2007 - 04:29 PM.

external links are not allowed except by paid advertisers

#2 WizKid009

WizKid009
  • Interests:Airsoft; helping noobs gain knowledge of the sport.<br />Computer Programming, mainly Java.<br />Swimming and Water Polo<br />Violin

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:49 PM

It's illegal. Expect to get a ride in a police car if you're caught.

#3 44_Magnum

44_Magnum
  • Interests:Cycling

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (crossfire @ Mar 21 2007, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I SOMETIMES PLAY ON NATIONAL FOREST LAND, IS THIS A PROBLEM OR SHOULD IT BE OK IF WE ARE AWAY FROM THE PUBLIC. WE PLAY MILES FROM ANY PUBLIC AREA.

Considering that a National Park is owned by the Gov't, it's basically open to the public. Congratuations on being illegal.

*High-Fives*
PM me if you think I am the greatest thing to bless this planet.

#4 Gecko10

Gecko10

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:03 AM

Some of you are confusing apples and oranges.

National Forest: Perfectly permissible. Unless there is some local rule, but that's not the general case. For example, during fire season access and what you may or may not do, may be restricted. Also, many National Forests have designated camp grounds. Usually, shooting within the camp ground itself is prohibited, but they will be posted. You may even carry and shoot real steel guns in National Forests.

National Park: The carry of real steel guns is strictly prohibited. So, I would presume Airsoft is also.

State Parks: It depends on the State.

Edited by Gecko10, 22 March 2007 - 05:17 AM.

#5 Von Luck

Von Luck
  • Interests:RC everything: restored 12 vintage electric trucks. 2 Nitro trucks. 1 electric Heli, 1 park flier. 2 tanks. I even modify nitro engines. <br /><br />Military History. WWII history, especially. More interested in the tactical side than operational strategy or policies. Von Luck is a historical figure. <br /><br />Japanese Animation. Miyazaki Hayao is my hero. <br /><br />I teaching myself Japanese. Good enough to read short magazine articles. 少しだけですけど、書けるも できます。<br /><br />Military miniatures. Mostly 1/35 WWII Armored Fighting Vehicles. Some modern. Some WWII fighters, some boats. <br /><br />Politics. Not interested in party politics. More interested in policies, foreign, economic, military and legal. <br /><br />Oh, yes, Airsoft.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (Gecko10 @ Mar 22 2007, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of you are confusing apples and oranges.

National Forest: Perfectly permissible. Unless there is some local rule, but that's not the general case. For example, during fire season access and what you may or may not do, may be restricted. Also, many National Forests have designated camp grounds. Usually, shooting within the camp ground itself is prohibited, but they will be posted. You may even carry and shoot real steel guns in National Forests.

National Park: The carry of real steel guns is strictly prohibited. So, I would presume Airsoft is also.

State Parks: It depends on the State.

I think you would be taking a risk. First of all, it's government property. If they decide to prosecute under any law, they don't have to ask if the land owner would be willing to go along with it. Which means if they want to prosecute for systematic littering with BBs, they can. I'm sure US attorneys don't have time to mess with kids with airsoft guns, but what if they decide to make a point? You don't want to mess with government lawyers. Who knows what other silly laws they'll find.

Secondly, hunters is one thing, but people with what looks like military equipment is entirely different. People don't call cops on hunters in national forests, but they would if they see a band of militia, practicing war games. Of course, since it's miles away, that risk is minimized, but still, all it takes is one person with a cell phone.

You may not have know that somebody was near by, but unbeknownst to you, there was a person, and you pointed your gun at him. Pretty much in all laws, that's an assault. Battery is actual contact, assault is often defined as "perceived threat," in many jurisdictions. It has nothing to do with your intention nor your capability. If a reasonable person could "perceive" that he/she was threatened, you are in trouble. Which is why it's not a good idea to play in a field where other people could just wander in. Most people wouldn't press charged against teens, but what if somebody really wants to make a point? Even if government wants to let it slide, if the "victim" insists, they have to go along with it. Far fetched? Yes, the chances of that happening is small. But do you really want to risk it?
There is nothing more unpatriotic than unquestioning patriotism.

#6 crossfire

crossfire
  • Interests:Airsoft, snowboarding, snowskating, trampboarding, Hunting, fishing, anything outside.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:08 PM

I know a fish and game officer, he said it is legal to hunt on National Forest, so airsoft is obviously legal also.

#7 Guest_Xhado_*

Guest_Xhado_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (crossfire @ Mar 22 2007, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know a fish and game officer, he said it is legal to hunt on National Forest, so airsoft is obviously legal also.

Hunting and Airsoft are two very differnt things.

#8 azoneman

azoneman
  • Interests:Wrestling, Shooting, Outdoors, Diving, Pissing on the Hopes and Dreams of Libtards

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

It may not be illegal, but still isn't the best idea in the world.
War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Heavily Upgraded Marui G36 and M16 DMR For Sale

#9 Guest_JerryAgent_*

Guest_JerryAgent_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

I have played a game at a National Forest with a team, I remember them mentioning it was hassle to play on that field.

You are littering with your bbs too. That is not good.

#10 dthug

dthug

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

It really depend son what park. Talk to the authorities, and the people who own, the park, and see if it is leagal. Sometimes they don't care, at least near me...
Danke for airsoft, Danke...
This is a great movie!

#11 azoneman

azoneman
  • Interests:Wrestling, Shooting, Outdoors, Diving, Pissing on the Hopes and Dreams of Libtards

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (dthug @ Mar 22 2007, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It really depend son what park. Talk to the authorities, and the people who own, the park, and see if it is leagal. Sometimes they don't care, at least near me...

National Forest=Government owned.
War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Heavily Upgraded Marui G36 and M16 DMR For Sale

#12 Guest_Xhado_*

Guest_Xhado_*

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (azoneman @ Mar 22 2007, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
National Forest=Government owned.

Yes but there are several .gov orgaizations.

#13 crossfire

crossfire

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

It is not a state park, and it is government owned. The person that I talked to said it is ok. End of conversation.

#14 Gecko10

Gecko10

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE (crossfire @ Mar 22 2007, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is not a state park, and it is government owned. The person that I talked to said it is ok. End of conversation.

Again, perfectly legal. What Von Luck posted is nonsense. However, you should use the same precautions as you would anywhere else, litter, starting fires, driving on approved roads, shooting around other people, ect.

Where I live I am surrounded by 2 National Forests (San Juan & Carson), 4 million acres of BLM land and 3 or 4 National Parks (Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Arches, Monument Valley). I have worked with and have several friends that are Forest Rangers, BLM Rangers and National Park Rangers. I shoot real steel 3-4 times a month almost anywhere I want to on National Forest and BLM lands, and often with these Rangers as its the only handy place for them to practice. Moreover, many Airsoft groups here use either BLM lands or National Forests to "play" in.

One final note of caution. It might not be a good thing to be there during big game hunting season (rifle or archery) unless your dressed in the orange, day-glow stuff or whatever hunters are required to wear in your state. Even then I would be leary.

Contact, fire, closing, etc information for the White Mountain National Forest, the only one in your state, may be found here:

http://www.fs.fed.us...white_mountain/

I stand by my original post.

Edited by Gecko10, 23 March 2007 - 04:55 AM.

#15 itsahak

itsahak
  • Interests:Mixed Martial Arts, airsoft, books, movies.

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

Actually what Von Luck posted is legally correct and not nonsense. The law determines the validity of assault and the connected firearms charges you could/would get by what the person that sees you "thinks" and interprets you actions to be. It really doesn't matter what your actual intentions are, it matters what a "reasonable person" would believe if they were in the viewer's same situation. That's the reason you will pull a firearms charge for using you finger inside you pocket to rob a store while telling the clerk you have a weapon, or just letting them believe you do. It puts the clerk in fear of the idea that you have a weapon, and the reasonable belief that you do.

That being said, if you've contacted the local Game Warden, and authorizing government agency, you should be okay. I would caution you and your game mates to be hyper-vigilant concerning hikers or hunters in your gamin area. You should place signs that alert those entering the general area that a military simulation game is going on and that safety equipment is required. And I most definitely would not play there during hunting season!!!!

**Edit - sent you an email from your teams website with the safety signs that BRASS uses. Hope they help!**

Edited by itsahak, 23 March 2007 - 10:41 AM.

Wil
See how easy life can be?

#16 44_Magnum

44_Magnum
  • Interests:Cycling

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (crossfire @ Mar 22 2007, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's SOOO obvious that it's legal, then why are you asking us?
PM me if you think I am the greatest thing to bless this planet.

#17 crossfire

crossfire

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

I found out after I posted it.

#18 Von Luck

Von Luck
  • Interests:RC everything: restored 12 vintage electric trucks. 2 Nitro trucks. 1 electric Heli, 1 park flier. 2 tanks. I even modify nitro engines. <br /><br />Military History. WWII history, especially. More interested in the tactical side than operational strategy or policies. Von Luck is a historical figure. <br /><br />Japanese Animation. Miyazaki Hayao is my hero. <br /><br />I teaching myself Japanese. Good enough to read short magazine articles. 少しだけですけど、書けるも できます。<br /><br />Military miniatures. Mostly 1/35 WWII Armored Fighting Vehicles. Some modern. Some WWII fighters, some boats. <br /><br />Politics. Not interested in party politics. More interested in policies, foreign, economic, military and legal. <br /><br />Oh, yes, Airsoft.

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (Whitegrass @ Mar 24 2007, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it's SOOO obvious that it's legal, then why are you asking us?

Wait, why is it so obvious that it's legal?
There is nothing more unpatriotic than unquestioning patriotism.

#19 East

East

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:23 AM

(Raising My Hand In Sarcasm) Some of the people on this forum are not a bunch of squares, naw naw.. Cause your going to get in that much trouble if you get caught playin airsoft in a National Forest where no one goes, Naw Naw.. Some People don't have to lightin up on this forum, Naw Naw.. Oh and I really care if people give me bad feed back about this, Cause im always on airsoftforum. I care if people take this message too seriously, offesive and hate me for it. Oh and I'll probable see your comments and responses cause once again always on this forum, don't have a job to go to, Naww Naww..People here don't take things too seriously, Naw Naw..This is not becoming totally off topic and you probable wont report this...Naw Naww..(Lowering My Hand In All Seriousness) For the people that know im right I love you and speak your mind and start ranting... Bye bye, wish you all a good day...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users