to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

Enhanced Hammer Spring In G19 = Stiffer Slide?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rhydia

Rhydia

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:33 AM

I just threw in a Guarder hammer spring into a KSC G19, (it was every bit as troublesome as people said it was). First thing I noticed was that the slide has become a lot stiffer when it catches the hammer. I fired 2 mags through it with no readily apparent problems. I'm just wondering, is the stiffer slide action normal? Also, I didn't put in a hi flow valve. But I was thinking, would I have achieved the same or somewhat close performance increase by instead opting to install a hi flow valve, instead of the MUCH harder to install hammer spring?

#2 Reclaimer

Reclaimer
  • Interests:My interests currently involve finishing up college, finding a job, a place to live, and playing airsoft. Other than that...its really just details.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

The action will be slightly stiffer due to the slide's now having to push down a much stiffer spring to cycle. The high flow valve will simply increase the amount of gas exciting the mag with each cycle. You also increased the gas released with the hammer spring. While the hammer spring is ridiculous to install I would say it's a good upgrade if your gun can handle it.
IPB Image

#3 Allizard

Allizard
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Gadget etc...

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Hammer spring have nothing to do with the slide in the first place... all it does is hitting the valve harder and allow a bit more gas release into the chamber. thus increase FPS and a stronger blow back action. totally opposit from what you describe. And only an enchanced recoil spring will make the slide stiffer.

Edited by Allizard, 11 April 2007 - 01:45 PM.

#4 Uranium238

Uranium238

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (Allizard @ Apr 11 2007, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Hammer spring have nothing to do with the slide in the first place... all it does is hitting the valve harder and allow a bit more gas release into the chamber. thus increase FPS and a stronger blow back action. totally opposit from what you describe. And only an enchanced recoil spring will make the slide stiffer.

When the slide cycles back, it catches the hammer and rotates it back so that it catches on the sear. A stronger hammer spring will increase the force required to drive it back, causing the backward motion of the slide to be stiffer. Since the stiffer spring will increase blowback force it will cancel out any extra resistance in the slide's motion. Therefore, you would only notice the difference when manually working the slide.
I'd like to point out that the sears seem to be the weakest point in the KWA / KSC glocks. I've had two KWA G19's. The first had its sear fail after about 6,000 rounds, while the second failed after about 10,000. The biggest strain on the sear is the metal on metal friction of the sear "breaking" from the hammer, so a stronger hammer spring will very likely reduce the life of the sear. As you've already taken the mechanism apart to upgrade the spring, a sear replacement is likely within your ability. The most dificult part is actually finding a retailer that will sell you one. You might want to buy a couple while you're at it. If you look at the sear you'll see how poor of a design it really is.

#5 Rhydia

Rhydia

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

Since hammer spring releases more gas by hitting valve longer, and hi flow valve releases more gas by being more ported out, they both achieve the same end results more or less? Thinking that valve + hammer spring upgrade might be overkill. Maybe I should have just done the valve and saved 2 hours of my life wrestling that sear and hammer back into place after installing the spring...

Thinking on the design of the sear, it does indeed look weak as compared to the hammer it has to hold back, especially now since I threw in a stronger spring. The trigger arm doesn't look all that strong either. =/ If it fails, I'm not putting in a spring into the new one, doing it once is enough trouble for a lifetime.

Edited by Rhydia, 11 April 2007 - 03:52 PM.

#6 Allizard

Allizard
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Gadget etc...

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Uranium238 @ Apr 11 2007, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When the slide cycles back, it catches the hammer and rotates it back so that it catches on the sear. A stronger hammer spring will increase the force required to drive it back, causing the backward motion of the slide to be stiffer. Since the stiffer spring will increase blowback force it will cancel out any extra resistance in the slide's motion. Therefore, you would only notice the difference when manually working the slide.
I'd like to point out that the sears seem to be the weakest point in the KWA / KSC glocks. I've had two KWA G19's. The first had its sear fail after about 6,000 rounds, while the second failed after about 10,000. The biggest strain on the sear is the metal on metal friction of the sear "breaking" from the hammer, so a stronger hammer spring will very likely reduce the life of the sear. As you've already taken the mechanism apart to upgrade the spring, a sear replacement is likely within your ability. The most dificult part is actually finding a retailer that will sell you one. You might want to buy a couple while you're at it. If you look at the sear you'll see how poor of a design it really is.

Maybe on the KSC Glock's design. I certainly don't notice any stiffer slide on 1911/2011 style gun.

#7 sachiel9051

sachiel9051

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

You should.

#8 Guest_hkssr20det_*

Guest_hkssr20det_*

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (sachiel9051 @ Apr 11 2007, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should.

Yeah I certainly do feel the effect of a stiffer recoil spring. The only time I didn't was a guarder spring in my M1911 and that was because I don't think it was stiffer than stock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users