to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

G&g M14 Takedown/gearbox Takedown!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Ochronic

Ochronic
  • Interests:Cars (my g35) guns (h&k usp .40 cal) and airsoft (g&g m14, tm/guarder 226)

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

Hi, Well this guide was mainly made for the guy who's buying my SOCOM16 and I had a lot of trouble the first time I took it apart, seeing as there are no other takedown guides for the G&G m14 series, so I decided to make it open to the public, so people won't have to go through the same trouble I had to.

There are a lot of rumors around that the G&G guns are not reliable and will crap out on you really fast, and etc. Well, there is some truth to these claims, but overall I've been relatively satisfied with my purchase. The only things really need replaced are the piston, and the bushings, (I have CA oiless bushings and a guarder piston).

Well, now to the takedown:

Here are the tools you need to take this gun apart:
-1 phillips screwdriver large
-1 phillips screwdriver small
-1 set of allen renches
-tube of lubricant
-1 set of tweesers

tools.

Heres a pic of the gun before takedown.

First, begin by removing the trigger unit from the gearbox/stock, pull the trigger guard out, and then lift the unit out.

Now you can slide the receiver/gearbox out of the stock. Simply lift it out of the stock, paying careful attention to the motor and wires at the rear.

Next, unlatch the selector switch lever from the selector switch, and set aside.

Now, carefully recoil the spring and rod back, remove and set aside.

Next, remove the bolt, simply slide out from the rings attached to the barrel, and set aside.

Almost to the gearbox! okay, remove the two small screws shown here that hold the receiver on the gearbox.

Now, turn the gun over, and push out the small pin shown in the pic out from this latch, set aside the spring, and unscrew the screw. (its that little latch laying on the reciever with the little spring sitting on top of it).

Remove these two screws that hold the barrel and hop up unit onto the receiver.

Pull the barrel/front section out from the receiver very carefully.

Now, with all the screws, and front section removed, you can slide off the receiver.

Slide off the top receiver cover.

Remove the screws from the gray matte colored piece of metal that holds the motor on.

It should now look like this, this parts a little frustrating, you have to work the motor off carefully, (I usually put a flathead screwdriver in to carefully pry it off on each side of the gearbox.

Hereís what it should look like when the motor is off.

Okay, now take off the various Allen wrench screws on the gearbox. (Any other type of screws, just leave em alone).

And now, I usually put a flathead screwdriver connected to the spring guide on the side of the gearbox to hold it in place, and then just slowly and carefully take off the gearbox cover, and voila there you are.

I would also like to add that when you are putting the gearbox back together, and wanting to test fire the gun before going through all the steps just to get the trigger back on, thereís a gray sliding thingamajigger (basically the trigger) and all you have to do is slide it forward to test fire.

I hope this guide was helpful in someway, I realize Iím not the best at giving directions, but at least there are pictures guiding you through the process. And it stillís better than having no guides on taking it apart like there where prior to this one.

Edited by Ochronic, 18 April 2007 - 09:58 PM.

Guns:
LMT MRP
Need help taking down your G&G M14? check out my thread. G&G M14 TAKEDOWN

#2 OWN3D!

OWN3D!

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

Very, very nice.

I like the inside-the-gearbox pics too-- alot of take-down guides don't have those.

I vote for a sticky.
Banned Member

#3 Ochronic

Ochronic
  • Interests:Cars (my g35) guns (h&k usp .40 cal) and airsoft (g&g m14, tm/guarder 226)

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

Thanks, Much appreciated, I'm just here to help.
Guns:
LMT MRP

#4 OWN3D!

OWN3D!

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:21 PM

That's a great attitude. ASF needs more helpful members like you.
Banned Member

#5 hsimoorb

hsimoorb
  • Interests:Baseball, History,

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:23 PM

Nice. I just orered a G&G M14 actualy. This'll definately come in handy. I'm a little alarmed at how little material actualy holds on the outer barrel though. It looks like it's just a 1/4'' peice of metal that gets screwed into the receiver, dosen't seem very solid for a gun thats over a meter long...

#6 Ochronic

Ochronic

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (hsimoorb @ Apr 18 2007, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice. I just orered a G&G M14 actualy. This'll definately come in handy. I'm a little alarmed at how little material actualy holds on the outer barrel though. It looks like it's just a 1/4'' peice of metal that gets screwed into the receiver, dosen't seem very solid for a gun thats over a meter long...

Nothing to worry about with this gun externally, its built very strong, very solid, so don't worry about it mang.
Guns:
LMT MRP

#7 G&GJon

G&GJon
  • Interests:Airsoft, Military, Airforce, Medical stuff, Girls, Guns, Girls + Guns. Some other less important stuff.

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:44 PM

Aww the bad memories of the alien shaped gearbox. I remeber doing that a couple of times I hate putting that bolt cover thing back on was a pain. Thats a good guide and it has everything you need to know on taking apart the gearbox, Could you add the hopup chamber dissasembly?

#8 Ochronic

Ochronic
  • Interests:Cars (my g35) guns (h&amp;k usp .40 cal) and airsoft (g&amp;g m14, tm/guarder 226)

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (G&GJon @ Apr 18 2007, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aww the bad memories of the alien shaped gearbox. I remeber doing that a couple of times I hate putting that bolt cover thing back on was a pain. Thats a good guide and it has everything you need to know on taking apart the gearbox, Could you add the hopup chamber dissasembly?

My appologies, but it has already been packed up and put in my truck to be shipped tomorrow to the person who bought it, I haven't touched the hopup, and this guide was really focousing on the main points of stripping it and getting to the gearbox.
Guns:
LMT MRP

#9 G&GJon

G&GJon
  • Interests:Airsoft, Military, Airforce, Medical stuff, Girls, Guns, Girls + Guns. Some other less important stuff.

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (Ochronic @ Apr 18 2007, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My appologies, but it has already been packed up and put in my truck to be shipped tomorrow to the person who bought it, I haven't touched the hopup, and this guide was really focousing on the main points of stripping it and getting to the gearbox.

Becuase I know its not as easy as some others, I have taken it apart before on mine and its was confusing at first but I think that if it needed to be done someone else could post it this topic should be pinned.

#10 Ochronic

Ochronic
  • Interests:Cars (my g35) guns (h&amp;k usp .40 cal) and airsoft (g&amp;g m14, tm/guarder 226)

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

I would also like to add that if anyone has any questions concerining the dissasembly, or reasembly, or even the placement of the internals in the gearbox to just PM me, I will gladly help you.
Guns:
LMT MRP

#11 Guest_McHitman_*

Guest_McHitman_*

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:19 PM

O My GAWD!!! thank you so much. this is exatcly wyhat I've been looking for. *edit* oops, didn't see the gearbox part. once again, thanks a whole heckuva ton. do you think this same method works with the AGM version? also, how did you get the trigger gaurd off?

Edited by McHitman, 19 April 2007 - 03:24 PM.

#12 Ochronic

Ochronic

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (McHitman @ Apr 19 2007, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
O My GAWD!!! thank you so much. this is exatcly wyhat I've been looking for. *edit* oops, didn't see the gearbox part. once again, thanks a whole heckuva ton. do you think this same method works with the AGM version? also, how did you get the trigger gaurd off?

your very welcome!
I'm not sure about the other brands sorry, But how you get the trigger unit off is by pulling the trigger guard out from the stock, out of its little notch and it should just come off altogether.

Edited by Ochronic, 19 April 2007 - 03:49 PM.

Guns:
LMT MRP

#13 Guest_McHitman_*

Guest_McHitman_*

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Ok, thanks. woohoo, time to upgrade my M14 now that I know how! 450 FPS here I come!

#14 Twinturbored90

Twinturbored90

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

Hey, On picture 5 from the top going down. That piece of metal that connects to the charging handel ? The rod that connects to the firing selector... Is there a spring behind that ?

#15 Ochronic

Ochronic

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (Twinturbored90 @ Apr 21 2007, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, On picture 5 from the top going down. That piece of metal that connects to the charging handel ? The rod that connects to the firing selector... Is there a spring behind that ?

yes its hard to explain, but theres a tiny spring that is on this little thing stickin out on the otherside of that view of the rod.
Guns:
LMT MRP

#16 Guest_Cam Keo_*

Guest_Cam Keo_*

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:14 PM

I.......love......you.

Seriously, thanks alot!

I can try my own upgrades now ;D

#17 Guest_Cam Keo_*

Guest_Cam Keo_*

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:09 PM

Fun Fact:

You can use AUG hop ups in the G&G M14 line.

#18 Ochronic

Ochronic

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:01 AM

hehe no problem your welcome..

if its been so helpful to these people, im suprised it hasnt been pinned yet, I mean I realize the directions aren't the best, but atleast people can follow the pictures, which arent too bad. and it is really the only G&G m14 take down that I know of..but whatever
Guns:
LMT MRP

#19 Ochronic

Ochronic

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

Sorry for doing this, but it won't let me edit it, I edited the pics so you can more easily see what I'm describing in the captions, I will redo my first post, with the new pics, if this is wrong, you can make it so this post doesn't count, Idc I'm just tryin to make this easier for people to understand.

last 2 cuz it wouldnt fit (exceded pic posting limit)
Guns:
LMT MRP

#20 fragmonkey

fragmonkey

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

my friend bought a g&g m14 a while ago, and it didn't work upon arrival. basically he was too lazy to send a $400 gun back (idk wtf he was thinking) but I ended up taking apart the gearbox because it was past warranty. the reason it didn't work was because the connectors had been reversed on the motor when it was assembled and the motor was trying to work against the anti-reverse lever. don't they usually test these things before they sell a gun? I wouldn't recommend g&g

#21 Mad Murdock

Mad Murdock
  • Interests:Airsoft, School, Work, Friends

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (fragmonkey @ Jul 28 2007, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my friend bought a g&g m14 a while ago, and it didn't work upon arrival. basically he was too lazy to send a $400 gun back (idk wtf he was thinking) but I ended up taking apart the gearbox because it was past warranty. the reason it didn't work was because the connectors had been reversed on the motor when it was assembled and the motor was trying to work against the anti-reverse lever. don't they usually test these things before they sell a gun? I wouldn't recommend g&g

Revival of a dead thread...but whatever. Looks like your buddy got a bad seed. That doesn't mean every M14 is dysfunctional....
Mad Murdock
KAFIR MilSim

TOS III/IV - OPFOR/SF
BFT/TW 08 - Northern Islanders
Op. Vengeance II - Echo 6
Op. Mountain Conflict
Op. Pine Plains I - Pathfinder- Co. B, Ranger 3
Op. Pine Plains II- Company B, Bravo 1

#22 Hunter S.

Hunter S.

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hey there,

I have a UTG M14 and plan on doing a few upgrades of my own-- but there really aren't that many guides for it. Would this guide be similar at all, or will they be completely different? Thanks for your help!

Hunter

#23 Matt22

Matt22
  • Interests:longboarding, music, baseball, and most recently airsoft

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

hey I can't get the bolt catch thing out, and I cannot get the bolt out either, it won't go out. I am just wondering if you can give me a little more detail on how to get the bolt catch out and I am wondering if it is completly nessisary to get the bolt out.

FORGET IT I see the revised version of your guide.

Edited by Matt22, 09 October 2007 - 03:56 PM.

I like bubbles

#24 M21sniper rifle

M21sniper rifle
  • Interests:Music, Airsoft, Real firearms, good books, any knowledge I can absorp and analyze

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Hunter S. @ Sep 4 2007, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there,

I have a UTG M14 and plan on doing a few upgrades of my own-- but there really aren't that many guides for it. Would this guide be similar at all, or will they be completely different? Thanks for your help!

Hunter

The UTG use a Marui style gearbox which is fundementally different from the G&G and CA gearboxes. I suggest finding a guide for the Marui ver.7 gearbox.

Sorry for necroposting!

Edited by M21sniper rifle, 25 February 2008 - 07:20 PM.

"In a World of Compromise, Some Don't" That's my policy on AEG work, if you need any repairs or work done on an AEG hit me up with a PM, I provide inexpensive, fast, and high quality work with a garuantee. What do you have to lose?

#25 CruciFICTION

CruciFICTION
  • Interests:Airsoft<br />Lacrosse<br />Video Games<br />Military<br />Military History<br />Techno Music<br /><br />other stuff I can't think of.

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:45 AM

is this the same for the full length G&G M14?
cuz I see this says SOC16

#26 Fatboy

Fatboy
  • Interests:Skateboarding, airsoft, guns, music...

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

Dang, that's one heck of a guide you got there!
I've got an M14 (loooves it!!!) and I was gonna buy a new spring for it n' what not. To be honest, I'm scared to take it apart now. Lol. Good job, though. One of the better guides I've seen before.
>>>Cyma M14(black, not brown)<<<

>>>Echo 1 M16a3<<<

>>>UTG M3 Tri shot<<<

Soldier for the Lord.

#27 Hendrix2247

Hendrix2247
  • Interests:Airsoft (no sh**)<br />Football<br />Baseball<br />Basketball<br />Girls<br />and Running

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

Ochronic, thank you for making this guide. It has helped me disassemble and clean my Soc 16 numerous times

#28 Fatboy

Fatboy
  • Interests:Skateboarding, airsoft, guns, music...

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:08 PM

Does the Cyma M14 take down the same, or no? I'm installing a new spring next week (when it gets here), and I'm planning on using this beast of a guide.

Oh, and does anyone know a guide where they show you how to put your gun back together?
That's the only thing I'd have slight trouble with, is reading this all backwards.

Edited by Fatboy, 04 July 2008 - 01:09 PM.

>>>Cyma M14(black, not brown)<<<

>>>Echo 1 M16a3<<<

>>>UTG M3 Tri shot<<<

Soldier for the Lord.

#29 Guest_OpSic66_*

Guest_OpSic66_*

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Fatboy @ Jul 4 2008, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does the Cyma M14 take down the same, or no? I'm installing a new spring next week (when it gets here), and I'm planning on using this beast of a guide.

Oh, and does anyone know a guide where they show you how to put your gun back together?
That's the only thing I'd have slight trouble with, is reading this all backwards.

No it does not.

Teardown of the gun is Similar. Same thing with the trigger assembly. Pull the trigger guard down, and rearward at the same time. It'll swing open. Then pull straight down from the stock.
There may or may not be a set screw in the front gas block assembly that you will need to loosen so it will slide away from the stock. The bolt and barrel assembly will need to slide forward and upward to dislodge from the stock.

Teardown the of bolt and barrel assembly is pretty straight forward with similar hidden screws like the CA / G&G. With a screw hidden behind the bolt catch.

If you need, I can tear mine down quickly and upload pictures to my gearbox thread.

This thread is of a AGM M14 gearbox. (Which is a TM Clone of the M14, and much closer the the Cyma).
http://www.airsoftfo...howtopic=108175

Edited by OpSic66, 09 July 2008 - 11:05 PM.

#30 thephantom

thephantom

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Ochronic @ Apr 19 2007, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would also like to add that if anyone has any questions concerining the dissasembly, or reasembly, or even the placement of the internals in the gearbox to just PM me, I will gladly help you.

I REALLY NEED HELP IN ASSEMBLING MY G&G M14!!!!! when I opened the gear box the pieces shot out and I don't know how to put them back together, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

#31 glockbot

glockbot
  • Interests:airsoft, football

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

Thank you so much!! I have searched the web for days trying to find out how to take apart my echo 1 m14 ebr. it is surprising how much is the same on the to guns

#32 ther3v

ther3v

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

hi how were you able to take out the pin out of the bolt catch? did you use a really small phillips screw?

#33 BushmanSniper

BushmanSniper
  • Interests:airsoft...weight lifting...formula 1...drag racing

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Matt22 @ Oct 9 2007, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey I can't get the bolt catch thing out, and I cannot get the bolt out either, it won't go out. I am just wondering if you can give me a little more detail on how to get the bolt catch out and I am wondering if it is completly nessisary to get the bolt out.

FORGET IT I see the revised version of your guide.

matt, I had the same problem with my AGM m14...u have to use a small allen wrench and remove a screw that is inside the bold. it is located on the top of the bolt right beside where you would put your finger to pull the bolt back. mine was very hard to get loose at first but it will come loose. I hope this was helpful to you. I fyou need a pic just send me a message and il be happy to provide one
>INSERT AN APPROPRIATE SIGNATURE HERE< P.S........use your imaginations people lulz

#34 mohead mobile

mohead mobile

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

very cool guide, but theres no info on how the inner barrel/hopup unit go? I mean thats basically what I need tio upgrade and if I follow these steps how would I then go about getting the bucking and nub in if I were to upgrade those and a new barrel?
Cyma M14 socom
*stock

G&G M14 Fake Wood version
*120% spring, G&P white piston, Systema Duracon piston head, Systema bucking, Echo 1 H-nub, JBU V3 spring guide, Prometheus 6.03mm
*Intellect NiMH 9.6v 3600MaH battery, TSD .28g bbs, Tiger Stripe paintjob, 4x32 scope

Also: 3 pistols, two spring ones, and a gas one with no mag or gas :D

#35 Guest_OpSic66_*

Guest_OpSic66_*

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

For the CA and G&G a hopup guide would be redundant. it's the same hopup as an AUG.

Either way, once you seperate the lower reciever well from the upper, the entire barrel assembly is removable. Then it's only a clip holding the barrel and bucking into the hopup chamber.

#36 1stsgt

1stsgt

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:08 AM

Do the guns actually come with a field stripping guide to take the whole thing apart?

#37 SWASS

SWASS

never hire an assassin with ADHD

• Authorized Seller Elite
  • 1,129 posts
  • Interests:Airsoft, Video games, Playing Jazz, <br />Running, skiing, golf

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE (1stsgt @ Nov 30 2008, 05:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do the guns actually come with a field stripping guide to take the whole thing apart?

No, but you shouldn't need one because of this guide. a-thumbsup.gif

And just a warning to anyone looking to open up their M14, the mechbox is not very easy to put back together, especially with a bigger spring. The spring like to push the piston/cylinder/cylinder head/tappet plate out of the mechbox, and you have to hold in the feeding nozzle at the same time, which falls out if you don't hold it, and the anti reversal latch is incredibly annoying and falls apart if you don't pay attention not to bump it.
'Sup

#38 Guest_OpSic66_*

Guest_OpSic66_*

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (SWASS @ Dec 1 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, but you shouldn't need one because of this guide. a-thumbsup.gif

And just a warning to anyone looking to open up their M14, the mechbox is not very easy to put back together, especially with a bigger spring. The spring like to push the piston/cylinder/cylinder head/tappet plate out of the mechbox, and you have to hold in the feeding nozzle at the same time, which falls out if you don't hold it, and the anti reversal latch is incredibly annoying and falls apart if you don't pay attention not to bump it.

A little bit of grease on the feed nozzle, along with positioning it's spring just right, Solves that problem. As for the main spring, Strong Fingers.

#39 trey42769

trey42769
  • Interests:Golf, Airsoft, Video Games.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

I have the G&G m14 and yesterday the spring on the anti reverse latch broke. What type of anti reverse latch does this gun have? Is it v.2/3 or is it a v.7? Any help would be appreciated.
Blood Mercs Airsoft
Tishoming County Mississippi

Guns Owned:
G&G M14
ICS M16A3 (Upgraded 400fps)

#40 Guest_OpSic66_*

Guest_OpSic66_*

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

IIRC it's a V2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users