to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Important Announcement!

Our Pinzgauer Project is in "Pre Launch" - Click Here to let us know what you think before the project goes live.

Photo
- - - - -

How To Adjust Hop-up & Scope

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cjennings

cjennings
  • Interests:I've been racing hobby-grade R/C cars for the past 9 years. during the last 4 years I've gotten very competetive in the 1/8th buggy class at my local track, and in other parts of the country (I take my R/C cars with me on trips). I'm preatty recently getting into airsoft, and im currently saving up to either get a Tokyo Marui VSR10 G spec. or a tokyo Marui M4A1.

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

Ive got a JG MP001.I got my scope mounted up today, ive been shooting at a stop sign for a while, and before I even got the scope I felt like I had to aim under the sign to hit it once I got more then like 50FT away, but I cant be sure because I didnít really have any sights. Now that I've mounted the scope up it feels just as bad. To hit the sign at around 75FT I have no aim nearly 1/2way down the pole (it seems to be around 6 1/2-7ft Tall) to hit the sign. It is constant though, pretty much every time I aim there it hits, so the rifle isnít a lemon or anything. This is my first gun, and I have no idea on how to adjust the hop-up ( I know whre the control is, but don't know how to get it dialed in). When I had top aim like above (1/2 way down the pole) the hop-up was at about 1/4th from normal (meaning it was in-between the middle and normal). So it's not like the hop-up is so cranked up. when I try turning the hop-up down I just cant hit the sign no matter where I aim, and I don't know how you guys do it because I have no idea where my BB's are going. All I know is when I hear a clink I hit the sign. What am I doing wrong? Is it the hop-up, the scope, or both? And how can I go about fixing it?

EDIT: HEres my scope.
http://www.airsoftgi...roducts_id=2172

Edited by cjennings, 24 June 2007 - 04:18 PM.

#2 Silent_Shadow

Silent_Shadow

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

first of all, what model gun do you have, secondly, what model scope do you have?

once you find out how to adjust the hop up, do that first. then do the scope.

but first, give the gun model and scope model.

Edited by Silent_Shadow, 24 June 2007 - 03:52 PM.

IPB Image

#3 deadeyesniper

deadeyesniper

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:52 PM

If you got a good scope you should be able to adjust that, also the hop-up can be adjusted by seeing what happens after every shot.

(thanks to The Terminator for this great sig!!!)
QUOTE (Aimfor1337 @ Dec 27 2007, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, PM DeadeyeSniper, he is a sniper rifle master.

#4 shadow guard

shadow guard
  • Interests:Umm...I am still in school, so no matter what i like that takes a lot of time. I also really enjoy football. I have played every year i can and work out int he wieght room as much as possible. But, like most kids I love video games (Socom 3 in particular) and msn. I also airsoft whenever I can, whether in my basement or in a real battling area. I know I'm not as experianced as some, I still have a lot of imput and I really want to learn a lot.

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:06 PM

Both of these articles will give you a pretty good understanding of how to set your hop-up and then just use the instructions on the scope to sight it in at a certain distance.

http://www.airsoftfo...showtopic=73843

http://www.airsoftfo...showtopic=77317

IF YOU UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SNIPER AND SNIPER RIFLE, PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. ~Bertrand Russell

#5 cjennings

cjennings
  • Interests:I've been racing hobby-grade R/C cars for the past 9 years. during the last 4 years I've gotten very competetive in the 1/8th buggy class at my local track, and in other parts of the country (I take my R/C cars with me on trips). I'm preatty recently getting into airsoft, and im currently saving up to either get a Tokyo Marui VSR10 G spec. or a tokyo Marui M4A1.

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:26 PM

Ive got a JG MP001, and the scope is linked above. I said I hgave perfect vision but I have no idea how you guys see where your BB's go. I have absolutely o idea where they went unless I hear them hit the target.

Ok heres my idea for setting the hop-up.
Im gonna try this. Set-up a big piece of cardboard around 75 ft away. Get the rifle mounted securly, and level each time, and take shots without the scope, adjust the hop-up accoriding to where the BB;s fly. THen mount the scope. The only questions I have is the dials on my scope are kindof wierd.Right now the dials on my scope both came with them tighten down all the way. So im assuming the scope is to 1 extreme, and is very far off. I don't have the manual, on the scope linked below if youve got it mounted so 1 screw is up and the other to the right (when looking through scope) which is elevation (up and down), and which is windage (left and right)?

#6 shadow guard

shadow guard
  • Interests:Umm...I am still in school, so no matter what i like that takes a lot of time. I also really enjoy football. I have played every year i can and work out int he wieght room as much as possible. But, like most kids I love video games (Socom 3 in particular) and msn. I also airsoft whenever I can, whether in my basement or in a real battling area. I know I'm not as experianced as some, I still have a lot of imput and I really want to learn a lot.

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (cjennings @ Jun 24 2007, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive got a JG MP001, and the scope is linked above. I said I hgave perfect vision but I have no idea how you guys see where your BB's go. I have absolutely o idea where they went unless I hear them hit the target.

Ok heres my idea for setting the hop-up.
Im gonna try this. Set-up a big piece of cardboard around 75 ft away. Get the rifle mounted securly, and level each time, and take shots without the scope, adjust the hop-up accoriding to where the BB;s fly. THen mount the scope. The only questions I have is the dials on my scope are kindof wierd.Right now the dials on my scope both came with them tighten down all the way. So im assuming the scope is to 1 extreme, and is very far off. I don't have the manual, on the scope linked below if youve got it mounted so 1 screw is up and the other to the right (when looking through scope) which is elevation (up and down), and which is windage (left and right)?

on mine the top is elevation and the side is windage.

IF YOU UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SNIPER AND SNIPER RIFLE, PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG

#7 cjennings

cjennings

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

Yes but if you turned your scope then it would be different. The knob on the side for you. Is it on the right, or the left? when your aiming.

Edited by cjennings, 24 June 2007 - 06:06 PM.

#8 shadow guard

shadow guard

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (cjennings @ Jun 24 2007, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes but if you turned your scope then it would be different. The knob on the side for you. Is it on the right, or the left?

On the right. It makes the words I have on it right side up so I know it is the right way for my scope.

#9 cjennings

cjennings

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:36 PM

Ok, the knonbs oin my scope are currently tighten down all the way, so im sure there set at some extreme, right? How do I get them both in their nutral position?

EDIT: Oh I didnt realize those things were dustcovers, I took them off, and the adjuster on the side appears correct, and the on the top was diagonal so I adjusted them correctly, I think?, The dial on the top is perpendicular to the way you would look through the scope (as in from above it is pointing left and right). The dial on the side when looking from the side is pointing up and down (perpendicular to the scope). Is this correct?I have pictures the top picture is the top dial, the bottom picture is the side dial.

Edited by cjennings, 24 June 2007 - 07:08 PM.

#10 Silent_Shadow

Silent_Shadow

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:56 PM

what I would do is mount the scope on the rifle. shoot maybe twice or three times. Then play with the dials. shoot again 2 or 3 times. If it is more off than before, turn the dials in the opposite direction that you did before. if it was closer but not yet on, turn them accordingly.

side note: you may ask, "why 2 or 3 shots?" well, thats to make sure that you will adjust it correctly. because of how the bb sits in the hop up, the bb can shoot differently, at any given shot. But most of the time, the shots are consistent, but to be safe, shoot it at least 2 times per scope adjustment.
IPB Image

#11 cjennings

cjennings

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

htats what im going to do. Im till setting up the hop-up but in the mean time I wanna start adjusting the scope with the settings at neutral. Is this neutral?

#12 Silent_Shadow

Silent_Shadow

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:49 PM

I would not worry about it. adjust it when you shoot.
IPB Image

#13 cjennings

cjennings

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:22 PM

Ok heres the deal, look up a couple posts and I had a whole plan for getting my hop-up set-up, and it sounded good. but now im hearing that I should be doing the test at about 160-175ft. Now that I think it does make more sence to do the test there becuase some times with hop-ups all thwe way up the BB might shoot the first 50 ft or so straight and then have a rapid vertail increase, so setting up the hop-up at 160-175 ft would be my best choice, right?

#14 cjennings

cjennings

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:16 PM

Yeah, here's the plan tell me if thereís anything askew about it. Set the Rifle up on a table, with securely mounted in a level, and straight position, so that it can be continuously shot while being aimed at the same spot. I'll set up a large piece of cardboard (so if my hop-up is way way off I still know where the BB went) about 175ft away. Iím going to take off the rifle end-cap, and set a laser pointer in there (not while Iím shooting, of course) so I can see where the BB's would hit if the rifle was shooting perfectly and put a mark on the target where the dot from the laser pointer was. Next without the scope I will make 4-5 shots with the hop-up turned all the way down (obviously the BB's should either not make it to the target or hit at the bottom) Then bit by bit keep adding more hop until the BB's are getting as close as they can to the point marked off before. Iím sure these 4-5 shots when the Hop-up was set perfectly will be pretty well grouped. Now on another piece of cardboard make a circle about 1'' in diameter. Have the scope securely mounted, and pointed in the center of that circle. Again keep fine-tuning the elevation and windage knobs until Iím getting as close to that circle consistently. And I've got a set-up rifle.

EDIT: Im gonna try and get it done tommorow. I was wondering are .25GBB's the correct wieght I heard I should be using somthing heaver like .28 or .3? And I set the hop-up for these .25GBB's and then switch to .28's or .3's I will have to re-set both the hop-up and the scope, right?

And lastly I was lloking and at least hwere I looked .3G BB's sell for around $2 more for a pack of 800 then a 3000 pack of .25's. That just rediculous I would need to spend around $55 to get the same amount of .3G BB's as a $11 pack of .25G BB's.

Edited by cjennings, 25 June 2007 - 12:02 AM.

#15 shadow guard

shadow guard

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:26 AM

Sounds like a decent set up. Do you have a gen 3 or no? That will greatly change the bb weight you need. Also reading Von Luck's "Ammo Please" may help you figure out bb weights better.

#16 cjennings

cjennings

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

It isnt a UTG M234 (is that what you were referring to by gen.3?) its a JG MP001. I would use .3's but there sooo expnesive. The best prices I;ve found is a pack of 800 .3's for around $15! Are there any places that sell .3's for cheeper. I can get a pack of 3000.28's for around $13, so thats a HUGE price increase I'm not sure im willing to accept.

EDIT: Well I found a much better dela for .3's. It's a KSC .3G 2000pack selling for $12. My only question is they claim to be the bio-degradeable type. Are they as good as regular BB's, or does KSC sell any .3G BB's that are around the same price that aren't biodegradeable? Or is there a better choice put there?

Scroll the the bottom of the page their the second to last on the list.
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/ammo.htm

Edited by cjennings, 25 June 2007 - 11:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users