to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Guest velcrochicken17

The Definitive Answer Of "are These Goggles/glasses Safe?"

Guest velcrochicken17

Every field that uses common sense requires eye protection of a minimum requirement. There are 3 types of eye protection: Goggles, Glasses and Masks.

Goggles

Goggles are larger than glasses, and are typically most common. They are used by military and law enforcement, and give more protection than glasses without sacrificing comfort. Manufacturers of goggles are: Arena, Eye Safety Systems, WileyX, Oakley, Black Hawk Industries also produces a small line of goggles.

Note: when buying goggles, most should have a little marking on the side that says Z87, this signifies they are resistant to a 1/4" steel ball being shot at them, therefore, this will make them safe for airsoft use. Also, when purchasing goggles, do not purchase ski goggles, they are not safe for airsoft use.

If you are in question about the safety of your goggles, first look at the lenses. Does it have "Z87" imprinted anywhere? If you don't see it, then it may be that the manufacturer doesn't do that, or they're not Z87 certified. Something can be BB resistant even if it is not Z87 approved, but with the ANSI rating on it, that makes it official. If you still question the safety of it, remove the lens if possible. Is it too flexible? Is is too thin? How does it feel when you flick your fingernail against it?

Shooting your goggles is a last resort as it weakens the lenses, and how many hits it can take in the future. If you want to be positively sure, shoot it with the highest FPS gun you have from a few feet away 2-3 times. A small mark after repeated hits should be normal, however, make sure the goggles can stand up to repeated hits. This does weaken your lens however, and it is advisable to get a new lens.

NOTE: Sand Dust and Wind goggles are not safe to Airsoft use

Sand Dust and Wind goggles are military issued goggles in the 90's, they offer no ballistic protection. They are designed to prevent against the 3 elements they're titled after, Sand Dust and Wind goggles. If you really want to wear these, you need ballistic lenses that are rated Z87.1, which are rather hard to find.

Glasses

Some of the more well known safety glasses manufacturers are Oakley, WileyX, and ESS's ICE glasses

Glasses do not offer the amount of protection goggles do. Goggles provide a full seal around your eyes, not allowing anything to enter. However, in glasses there is a small gap, and it could be possible for a BB to go through the gap, or for you glasses to fall off your face. In the event you do prefer the compactness and size of glasses, the only glasses advisable to use are WileyX's climate controlled glasses with elastic bands, however, these can fog really easily. Also, for the price it would just be more advisable to get goggles instead.

Not suggested for skirmish use.

Glasses are good for target practice, in the event a BB bounces back at you, because you will not be getting shot at directly.

Masks

Also known as paintball masks, they provide full face protection. All of them supposedly stand up the impact of a paintball, so they are safe for Airsoft use. They provide the most face protection out of all of these listed, however, some do not like paintball masks as they muffle your voice and fog easily. It can be hard to see your sights using such a mask, as it prevents you from resting your cheek on the stock. Also, most paintball masks aren't compatible with helmets.

If you want the protection a mask provides to your mouth or face, but do not want a paintball mask, consider a balaclava, mouth guard or a shemagh.

MESH MASKS USERS! TAKE HEED TO THIS ADVICE!

Cheap bb's (Crossman, Infinity, .12's) and Biodegradable bb's have been known to shatter upon striking the mesh. ALWAYS wear glasses of some kind underneath mesh goggles to prevent fragments from hitting your eyes.

Bio-bb's and .12's have been banned from local fields for this reason.

DON'T SKIMP OUT ON EYE PROTECTION! YOU ONLY HAVE 1 PAIR OF EYES!

Edited by velcrochicken17

I would also like to add that the typical cheap pair of safety glasses that you can buy at walmart or the hardware store, are NOT safe for airsoft use. They may be ANSI rated, but that doesn't mean it's going to stop a bb.

Test every pair that you use with your most powerful gun at point-blank range. A sniper rifle or powerful nbb is recommended.. Better to shatter a cheap pair of glasses or goggles and have to buy another pair, than go without an eye.

An old ESS lens I had was tested at 430fps with a KJW MK1. It already had cracks in the lens. After 10-pointblank shots, the cracks were larger, but the lens still did not break. I'm thinking of shooting the lens until it cracks to see the level of damage.

Also, I think you should specify, Sand Dust and Wind goggles ARE NOT safe for airsoft. There are ballistic lenses, but they do not come in the 'normal' clear or shaded lenses.

Also, this a good link for telling people which goggles will or will not fit over their glasses:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IB..._5/ai_n15930083

Guest dlhoffman3
This is a bit old but it is a pin sooo... I was wondering if these are safe and if anyone knows anything about them. http://www.amazon.com/AS88-Survivor-Clear-...4709&sr=8-4

No, they aren't ANSI rated.

I've got a bit of my own little info to contribute here too...

Airsoft Atlanta's safety goggles are not safe for airsoft use. Here's a picture of them:

safety_goggles_jpg.jpg

Mine were cracked by just a few shots of 330 FPS with a .2 gram BB at five feet. Within twenty shots, the lenses were completely blown out of the frame.

Edited by dlhoffman3

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=29160

How are these? I found the label "Z87", but does anyone have any experience with these overall?

Just my 2 cents here from over the pond, but ANSI z87.1 is an incorrect standard to be referencing; as I understand it; this standard references the test bed as a lens only that shall withstand a 1/4" steel ball at 150fps... Who shoots at 150fps?

You should be looking at eye protection to the MilSpec (MIL-DTL-43511D // MIL-STD-662F) which is a sharpened projectile at 560fps.

And to this date, ESS are the only manufacturer to specifically develop for airsoft - ESS Airsoft

Edited by Sleepy UK

Anyone have any input on goggles that A) can be worn over regular eyeglasses and B) can take a G&G Turbofan?

I wear ESS Land OPs and they fit over my eyeglasses fine. They are specifically designed to do so.

Link

These are some great goggles that have saved my eyes countless times. If you want to buy, check ebay. I got mine for around 30 bucks and it comes with the ESS package of MOLLE pouch, extra tinted lens and speed sleeve. Something you should know about these goggles is that they are big, and stick off your face quite a bit, but this is to accommodate glasses inside. This also means that they should take a turbofan no problem.

Ill be able to answer the second part of your question on Thursday. My G&G turbofan is on the way.

I wear ESS Land OPs and they fit over my eyeglasses fine. They are specifically designed to do so.

Link

These are some great goggles that have saved my eyes countless times. If you want to buy, check ebay. I got mine for around 30 bucks and it comes with the ESS package of MOLLE pouch, extra tinted lens and speed sleeve. Something you should know about these goggles is that they are big, and stick off your face quite a bit, but this is to accommodate glasses inside. This also means that they should take a turbofan no problem.

Ill be able to answer the second part of your question on Thursday. My G&G turbofan is on the way.

two things:

1. what is/are the key difference(s) between the profile and striker models?

2. are the goggles THAT much bigger than the profile goggles?

What about revision? The desert locusts I bought have taken many a shot in the lens at less than 10 feet, no cracks or even marks!

Just my 2 cents here from over the pond, but ANSI z87.1 is an incorrect standard to be referencing; as I understand it; this standard references the test bed as a lens only that shall withstand a 1/4" steel ball at 150fps... Who shoots at 150fps?

You should be looking at eye protection to the MilSpec (MIL-DTL-43511D // MIL-STD-662F) which is a sharpened projectile at 560fps.

And to this date, ESS are the only manufacturer to specifically develop for airsoft - ESS Airsoft

How heavy do you think that a steel ball would be? Five grams?

150 fps with a five gram projectile is 5.23 Joules of energy.

That means 750 fps with .20g pellets. Think about it.

<AT> Dmitri, I think those lenses are glass.

I made a video showing what the difference between ANSI and non-ANSI glasses is, for those who don't understand the importance of having good rated goggles for playing.

Please share it around, and show others so we don't have more people losing eyes in Airsoft related accidents.

Thank you!

What were you doing where Z87.1 was considered not up to standard, and when were you doing it?

The first part of the question is relevant as far as job sites dealing with chemical hazards. Something that is z87.1 may not necessarily protect against splash or airborne particulates. The second part of the question is because the testing standards changed in 2010. There used to be "basic" and "higher" protection within Z87.1. This has been done away with in favor of z87 being NON impact rated (NO GO for airsoft) and z87+ being impact rated. Z87.1 indicates what standard of impact testing was done. It far exceeds what you're going to run into in airsoft. (Withstand a 1/4 Inch steel ball bearing going 250 FPS.)

I generally opt for MIL-PRF-31013 rated eyewear because that is subjected to even higher velocity tests and can still be had for a reasonable amount of money. That said- I wouldn't take my ESS military rated goggles into a chem lab.

Posted this on my team's website, as Airsoft is illegal in Australia, we travel to NZ to play and these are the guidelines for our players. This basically represents an entire country's eye-pro rules.

"For anyone still unsure, ANSI Eye Pro Standard is an American but the most common out there.

It has two current, relevant, civilian protection ratings
Impact Rated (Z87.1+) and Non-Impact Rated (Z87.1)

In short, YOU. REQUIRE. THE. PLUS.

These were PREVIOUSLY referred to as
high impact (Z87.1+) and basic impact (Z87.1), this is no longer the case.

The other requirement is that your Eye Pro is FULL SEAL.

No one will be allowed on-field with anything other than impact rated eye pro that makes full contact with mask area of your face all the way around the or all the way around your eyes.

TL;DR: Your EYEPRO must be FULL SEAL and IMPACT RATED.

################### Extra Info: ###################

Z87.1+ or High impact standard glasses must pass a much more stringent set of tests than the basic or Z87.1 impact standard. The bottom line is that the high impact standard (the Z87.1+) offers much better protection.

Z87+ glasses must pass the “high mass” test which consists of dropping a 500 gram pointed weight from a height of about 5 feet onto the lens.

It also must pass the test of having a ¼” (6mm) STEEL ball shot at the lens. The velocity varies by product but basically must go the distance fired in one second.

GLASSES
102 mph (164 km/h | 150fps) from a distance of 150ft (46m)
GOGGLES
170 mph (273 km/h | 250fps) from a distance of 250ft (76m)
205 mph (329 km/h | 300fps) from a distance of 300ft (91m)

"

Edited by OZ1airsoft