to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
meancivicsi

G&g Full Metal Pm5-a4 Ver. 3

AEG: G&G (Guay & Guay)

Model PM5-A4 (MP5)

Real Steel history! Who cares but if you want it, it's on Wiki. Go here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP5

Specifications.(from ASGI)

Specifications:

Gearbox Type: Ver. 2

Hop-Up: Adjustable

Weight: 2,500g

Length: 680 mm

Barrel Length: 225 mm

Accuracy: 100 feet

Muzzle Velocity: 380 fps

Magazine capacity: 200 rounds

Battery Size: large 8.4v battery pack

Features:

Full Metal Upper Receiver

Metal One Piece Outer Barrel

Realistic Field Stripping

Push Pin Body Pins

Adjustable Metal Sights

Low Profile Scope Mount

Quick Detach Flash Hider

Functional Cocking Lever

200 Round High-Cap Magazine

Functional Bolt Catch and Cover

Fixed Stock for Large Battery

Cost and place of purchase.

I bought this gun from Airsoftgi.com for $255 USD. It was $250 but the extra 5 bux got me a battery, charger, and 4000 madbull bb's.

Intro/First Impressions.

The box was well presented and the gun was well packaged. You can tell right off the bat that G&G wants to present this thing as a quality, long lasting piece. The styrofoam packaging has a G&G logo stamped on it.

IMG_5192.jpg

Picking the gun up, it was a bit lighter than I expected, but the looks and feel were so solid and well finished. Especially the plastic, which is all fiber reinforced.

I haven't felt a more solidly built AEG in my hands since the KWA M4a1. I mean just rock solid. It really puts my Classic army and G&P guns to shame. You could literally train with this thing.

Looks.

Since this gun comes with a full stock, the forward handgrip mimics the realsteel size since it wasn't designed to hold a battery. It has to be the most realistic looking MP5 AEG out on the market.

IMG_5200.jpg

The magnesium receiver is hard-coated with a very durable black finish. The plastic pieces are very rigid and up to the task of heavy skirmishing.

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

The butt stock battery cap is VERY secure. It would not come loose during a skirmish unless you threw the thing against a rock. The sling mount is also very realistic as it is actually two pieces like the real one.

IMG_5202.jpg

The receiver is all magnesium to include the front cocking lever and barrel set. The only plastic parts are the same plastic parts on the real gun and the plastic is very rigid, strong, and real looking.

On top of all of this bad assness, G&G had to go and give this thing a functional bolt catch. And yes, it is all metal as well! Not to mention that you can actually perform the "H&K SLAP" all you want as the cocking knob does not impact against anything, and will not snap off like CA and TM AEG's.

The bolt that goes back is a more gray/steel color to offset it from the black receiver unlike Marui which is black on black and doesn't look real at all.

when you pull back the cocking knob, the bolt retracts and reveals the hop up adjustment.

IMG_5201.jpg

This is one item I had a gripe about. The hop up adjustment seems very "loose" like it may come out of adjustment if bumped. you can see later that I added a strip of electrical tape to remedy this. The design is still much better than the external lever on Marui's design.

The gun comes with a few hundred PSBB .20g bb's, A metal QD flash suppressor, and a low profile scope mount.

The flash suppressor is a nice touch as it is not painted orange. It mounts to the three lug mount system which is blaze orange but is covered up when using the flash suppressor.

IMG_5195.jpg

The Low pro scope mount was very nicely designed. An allen key is included for mounting it as well. The four latching claws are actually attached to the mount which makes removing and installing it a snap. If I ever need a low pro mount for my other MP5/G3 guns, this will be the unit I get. So much nicer than the many other designs I have used.

IMG_5196.jpg

Edited by Aimfor1337

INTERNALS!

I don't usually care about internals since I usually upgrade my guns right off the bat anyway. But some people do care about this. If you are one of those people THIS IS THE GUN FOR YOU!!!!!!

Holy SH*T I didn't think I could be more impressed by this gun. read on...

Take Down

2 PINS! 2 PINS! that is all you need to remove to reveal the hop up , barrel, gearbox!

If there was one thing I just could not stand about Tokyo Marui Mp5's was the takedown process. what a PITA! This thing breaks down in seconds.

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5241.jpg

here are some parts I that bought to add to the G&G gearbox. NONE OF THESE WERE NEEDED! I used the prometheus barrel and bucking and thats it.(still didn't need them but damn, I didn't want to waste my money=() these parts will have to go on another gun that may actually need them(like a classic army haha)

IMG_5242.jpg

To get to the motor you have to remove two screws just like any other mp5 / m16/4 style motor grip. However the screws that hold the motor plate on screw into brass fittings! Not the plastic like every other brand! This is the same on the RK series as well! Way to go G&G for going the extra mile!

IMG_5245.jpg

The selector switch is quite reinforced and has a very positive feel to it thanks to the spring and nipple set up it uses. Very well built piece.

IMG_5244.jpg

The motor is well made and has some stiff magnets. nothing special about it really. It turns the stock spring with no issues at all.

IMG_5243.jpg

The piston head!

Very kool vortex type design maximizes o-ring expansion and decompression. It also has ball bearings. The O-ring supplied is a bit thin though, I added a #14 one from home depot for a better seal.

IMG_5250.jpg

The Piston!

Made of stiff Polycarb and LOOK AT THIS! The 2nd tooth is already removed!

IMG_5254.jpg

Spring guide

Typical reinforced ball bearing spring guide.

IMG_5252.jpg

Gears

All metal and has a very sturdy sector gear which has a machined inner gear. Very nice set of gears to get as stock.

IMG_5253.jpg

Gearbox

covered in a very strong , very slick paint. No need to polish this box as it is already slick as can be.

7mm bearings

Yes bearings. :) These bearings seem to be on par with my prometheus 7mm bearings. MUCH better quality than the CA 7mm bearings I have used. PLUS they are already secured in the gearbox! no need for super glue!

IMG_5248.jpg

Cylinder head

It's polycarb with a funneled brass nozzle. It also has a very large rubber impact cushion which will extend the life of the ver II gearbox it resides in.

IMG_5255.jpg

Nozzle

The nozzle resembles Guarder brand nozzles in shape and size. It also has internal o-rings for an awesome airseal.

Tappet plate and spring

Both very nice pieces as well. Tappet is quite beefy and the irregularly pitched spring is also of great quality.

IMG_5251.jpg

Barrel, hop up, and bucking

The barrel Is great! It is crowned in the same manner as Promethues barrels and it has a 6.035mm inner diameter.

The green bucking included has a great airseal. The locking ring on the hop up holds Very tightly and there is a 4-5mm long brass stabilizing ring . Great setup here all around.

The outer barrel is a solid cast peice of metal very solid

IMG_5246.jpg

IMG_5247.jpg

Trigger Switch

It is nickel or silver coated and the solder joints are the best I have seen. Better than KWA even! Look...

IMG_5256.jpg

Comes with a high capacity magazine that feeds great. I have also tried MAG and STAR brand magazines which feed great also. The STAR mags fit a bit tightly, but then again, they are brand new.

The gun chronoed at 365-370fps originally and now with the prometheus, it crones at 385fps. I will post video results of ROF and FPS chrono results soon.

Accuracy.

Accuracy is great once you get the hop up adjusted. I will post more on this soon.

Any Upgrades you have installed.

I bought a Deep Fire piston, Area 1000 piston head, Area 1000 cylinder head, Prometheus barrel, and Prometheus bucking. I only installed the barrel and the bucking. The accuracy didn't change much from this, only the fps bumped up.

I also rewire the thing with 16AWG wire and a Active braking mosfet.

More performance results soon

PROS

- Awesome externals-

- Metal Body (magnesium)

- Awesome internals

- Tightbore barrel

- only $250

Cons

- hop up adjust seemed loose( at least on mine)

- Full stock only (this may or may not be a con for some people including myself)

- your china clone wielding friends will constantly get owned to the point that they won't want to play with you anymore =( (LOL)

- no trades (so what?)

IMG_5212.jpg

Conclusion.

For 250 bux how can you go wrong? You get so many amazing parts for the price. Just a quality gun.

Even if you upgraded every part in an Echo -1 mp5 it wouldn't hold a candle to this gun. And to even get it close, you would have to spend a mint.

The quality of the craftsmanship and uniqueness of the design are a testament of G&G's determination to satisfy the customer. I have to give it to them. They really do listen to the customer input and put it to use in their design process.

Update? stay tuned!

Edited by GoLgo 13

Great review, just got this gun a few day ago as well,

ASGI crono'd mine at 350 which was a little dissapointing but w/e

Also my hop-up adjustment is solid, even after 3k rounds through it, it hasnt budged.

Great review, just got this gun a few day ago as well,

ASGI crono'd mine at 350 which was a little dissapointing but w/e

Also my hop-up adjustment is solid, even after 3k rounds through it, it hasnt budged.

Just noticed but I couldn't edit my previous post, my gearbox isnt black like yours is, its also the version 3 of the pm5.

If your hop-up is loose, remove the barrel/hop-up assembly and put some loc-tite on the nut that holds the adjustment lever in place.

Edited by xmtgx

Really? That sucks

Also, what kind of pins are those (referring to the "2 PINS!")

It sucks but at the same time it doesn't because the fore grip is narrow like the real steel one. It is also rock solid unlike so many other battery grips.

Because there is no reason to space save, the barrel is also fully encased in a magnesium block. Not exposed liek on marui or others. again ROCK SOLID!

If you are good with wiring and stuff, you will be able to fit some nunchuks and lipos in the grip if you really wanted.

The two pins are shown in the initial take down photos. One behind the magwell and one on the stock.

Hm, I think my question was a bit vague.

What type of pins are those in the picture? Do they have a hole for a screw or is it a one piece "push out" pin?

I'm a bit curious because I want to minimize the amount of screws needed to take apart my mp5. I take off my stock so much that I replaced the pin with the foregrip's push out pin. Unfortunately, it does not go through all the way, but it is as effective as the other pin.

I own the G&G GR16 carbine and I have got to agree that the internals are absolutely amazing.

my hopup is very secure and never moves.

I think the best part about G&Gs is the enternals, especially the tight-bore barrle.

the accuracy- awsome!

renforced gearbox, I think the internals are gonna last a long time.

I think I couldn't have bought a better AEG with the money, I don't understand why people buy CA and other brands that cost the same as G&G instead of a G&G.

to think that I almost bought a CA myself! yuck!

good review man!

Guest BLUNT OBJECT

How has the gun held up thus far? Anything prove to be a nuisence? I have been looking for a "GOOD" review on this gun since it came out, and I must say that yours is easily superior to any others ive read. I have been a marksman for my sqaud for years and I have always perfered mp5's as a secondary... recently someone stole my ICS mp5a4... :a-censored: ... so im looking to replace it. Would you say the gun has fairly good groupings at about 75ish feet?

Also... dumb question... but is the front sight removable? cause I don't think my red dot sight will be able to see over the front sight...

Edited by BLUNT OBJECT

Mine came and chronoed at 335, also had a silver gearbox. Seems odd since they advertise 400 and the gearbox for the reviewer here and someone on youtube where both black.

Guest Cerberus87

I am saving up for this gun and today when I looked on ASGI they changed the price! :a-nonod:

The gun only is still $250 but the Basic package (PM5 A4, 4000 madbull bb's, and 8.4 1700mah battery)

is now $265, a disappointment but still not a really bad deal.

What I recommend buying if you have the cash:

Basic package $265 and 3 bags of Systema 0.2G 3000 bbs. $48

SUBTOTAL: $313

Price is high but you can get the ASGI discount code (300off) which lowers the price to $288 (plus free shipping)

and look at what you’re getting:

13,000 polished high grade bb’s

G&G PM5

8.4 1700mah Lipo battery and charger

TOTAL: $288

OH MY, I want that MP5. Time to get rid my Marui. Those internals look amazing. Did you shortstroke the piston? Also, it looks REALLY dry, did it come like that or did you dry everything off? Great review. Looks like a solid gun.

I just bought another one of these Mp5's. It chronoed at 340 fps according to asgi. I will rechrono tonite to confirm the fps, I will then do typical airseal improvements only and then rechrono and post results.

This one also has an unpainted gearbox. I will confirm that the internals are the same as well.

To the above poster, I tried to clean the internal parts for the photos in this review. I wanted to readers to see the actual part and not alot of grease. The stock lube job was quite acceptable, but it is something I always redo to my specs, along with shimming and airseal.

Golgo,

Thanks for posting this! How long does it take you to go over a new gun and make all the necessary adjustments (e.g. shimming, air seal, etc.)?

This is something I'd like to learn as it seems that any AEG is susceptible to a number of issues and the only way to counter that is by going through the entire gun.

Anyway, this looks like a great choice for a MP5. I like this better than the RIS version because it seems the foregrip is a tight squeeze for batteries.

I go through gearboxes very quickly because I am quite experienced with them. Some1 new at gearboxes may take longer. The amount of time it takes depends on how much skill you have. Don't be afraid to take your time and get to know things and get it right.

I used a 9.6v 2000 mah from battle packs .com it is smaller than an 8.4v large but larger than mini's

To all who get this gun, this is the screw that caused the loose hop up. Simply add some loc-tite and snug it up and your good to go.

I go through gearboxes very quickly because I am quite experienced with them. Some1 new at gearboxes may take longer. The amount of time it takes depends on how much skill you have. Don't be afraid to take your time and get to know things and get it right.

I used a 9.6v 2000 mah from battle packs .com it is smaller than an 8.4v large but larger than mini's

To all who get this gun, this is the screw that caused the loose hop up. Simply add some loc-tite and snug it up and your good to go.

Thanks.

Re: screw, I don't see a pic?

Thanks, I figured it out once I took it apart. Applied some BLUE loctite and it's better than new.

Hmm, my G&G mp5 has the same problem. My only issue is that I have no clue how to remove the hop up and barrel unit from the top receiver! Can any of you guide me on how to remove it so I can loctite my screw. Thanks!

Hmm, my G&G mp5 has the same problem. My only issue is that I have no clue how to remove the hop up and barrel unit from the top receiver! Can any of you guide me on how to remove it so I can loctite my screw. Thanks!

If your gun came with instructions, it will show you how to field strip it. Otherwise, look here:

Great review!

You are a great salesman -- I have gone from the desire to purchase a JG Sig 552 to this. And I think I will stick with this purchase.

I would, however, like to see some accuracy testing. I wonder how much range this is good for; I'm interested in playing CQB (which I assume this would be wonderful for), but I will probably be primarily playing Woodland areas.

If your gun came with instructions, it will show you how to field strip it. Otherwise, look here:

[/quote

Ah yes, I've seen this video before... The above video does show how to remove the frame from the top receiver and gear box, but not the barrel and hop up unit. The included manual does not show hop up unit/barrel removal either. Lots of pretty pictures and packaging though. Can anyone help me out?