IceSeal

Tanaka M40a3 Project

Due to my lazzy a** this project was put on hold for quite some time. Had a spare work bench and decided to continue this project on the side at the wee hours of the night and decided to let you guys get a peek at whats been going on.

This project started off with the base gun being a Tanaka M40a1 pre ban PCS model. Funny story is I had traded this with skyler who sold/traded it to someone else who happened to be the same guy who I ended up buying it from (didnt know it was the same rifle till I started talking to him). So in the end...I was the 1st and 4th owner of this gun..small world ehh? Well anyways...who doesnt love a good m40a3 and due to me decent sucess with my USR-11 M40a3 project I decided to have a go at it with the Tanaka.

Heres whats up so far.

(click on the pics 1 time to get it larger and twice to get a HUGE picture)

My attempt at a Lit retical MST-100 (Unertl 10x)

100_2173.5b5.th.JPG

Start of the front boxy end

100_1972.cc5.th.JPG

100_1987.th.JPG

The barrel was modded to be a screw in type with a full length barrel spacer, the barrel is filled with sand to give it good weight. The L piece (holds the hop-up and barrel) was modded...holes where the pins go were drilled and tapped to hold 4 grub screws which hold the piece in much more securely.

100_2176.th.JPG

100_2175.3c6.th.JPG

The scope rail the M40a1 came with was put in the spare parts bin and I built/milled a chunck of rail to be like the BO/DDross extended rail (no cant on this one though)

100_2174.th.JPG

100_2177.th.JPG

Last night I mixed up some hard a** plaster and I "bed" the barrel from the recoil lug forward. I gave it 3 layers of blue painters tape to "free float" most of it. I put 2 pads that contact the barrel 2 inches back from the front and another from the recoil lug 1" forward. Theres no reason to really free float an airsoft rifle...its all non pressure bedded so everything is sitting as it naturaly would.

100_2179.f18.th.JPG

Cut the thumb hole thingy just behind the bolt about an hour ago

100_2178.3fd.th.JPG

And this is what she looks like as of right now...no finishing curves done and the rear end still needs to be done.

100_2180.th.JPG

This is all I got for you right now...Internals is soon to be the new King Arms VSR conversion hop-up kit and DBC 6.01 in there. As of now it has a custom hop-up nub to give it the dual point like the Gspec hop-up.

Stay tuned!

Nice work and a very ambitious conversion. :a-shocked:

In the bottom photograph, is the action seated properly?

I must say the VSR conversion is awesome and gives me excellent results. I picked up the m40a1 today and put a SGM onto a 4" square target at 45m today, first shot from a standing position. I recommend the NINEBALL hop rubber, as it gets me better results than the firefly hard I tried. I have the PDI 6.05mm 554mm inner barrel and recommend it too.

Good Hunting :a-thumbsup:

it was an easy build for the scope ..just need to work with some bondo and not be afraid of take everything and its mother apart lol. I can do it for you as well...PM me if ur interested...and u might see it on a M82...thats a project thats been in the shadows here for a while...C02 paintball internals with airsoft internals from the hop-up beyond.

As for the upgrades I orderd the nineball bucking, vsr conversion, and I have a 22" DBC 6.01 barrel so I should be good. might get a spare mag and throw it on regulated c02 later, not sure yet.

Ok, heres whats been done to it over the wait.

Ran outa Krylon flat black...

100_2185.th.JPG

This is the progress on the rear end of the rifle. The blockyness around the tang area will just be done with bondo...wont come out right if I use foam as the core.

100_2182.f4d.th.JPG

And I mounted the scope and put the bolt in for your enjoyment.

100_2187.5d5.th.JPG

I plan on workin out those rings to look like the badger ordnance ones and the Simrad cap. I have all of the real steel parts of those so getting close to spec shouldnt be too hard.

Once its all done ive decided im going to strip it all of its paint and duracoat everything...all metal will be flat black and the stock will be OD.

Yea I agree its coming out better. The VSR was my first real attempt at any significant mod other than a silencer. Ive done quite a few things different with this one and I actually have all the dimensions other than just eyeballing everything like I did with the last one. Ive also aquired a few new machines that have made a world of difference in building stuff. But like said before it was my first attempt and I was decently happy with it...but this one im in love with and probably wont sell for a very very long time.This is probably the first custom job ive done that im completely happy with so far...and that says alot as im incredibly picky about my work.

Cant wait to get the rear end done and coverd up with some fiberglass and start on the spacer system and cheek rest.

Edited by IceSeal

And heres the rear end all glued together and ready for fiberglassing.

100_2193.th.JPG

100_2195.th.JPG

100_2194.th.JPG

The yellow is a cookable clay that works really well to do odd shapes...and I can redue it over an dover unlike bondo. give it some heat and its hard as a rock. Next step is fiberglass.

the rear butsock will be filled with a "sniper fill" and be solid...no hollow spots in my stocks =)

Custom projects are great :a-thumbsup: just make sure you do it right the first time and make it extreamly durable...fixing all 1 off pieces is a :a-censored:

Glad I inspired someone though...more customs are needed!

Well not an update on the external progress but.

100_2198.th.JPG

Tanaka VSR hop-up conversion kit with nineball hop-up rubber (king arms hop-up rubber as backup) and a Dees Customs 6.01 tightbore barrel at 21" in length (can use longer...just need to sell this and pick up a longer one). If you don't know what any of that means...just know at 100-300' you arent safe.

and a pic of the LONG and boreing process that is a Ghille suit.

100_2200.th.JPG

soooooooo many strands

Custom projects are great :a-thumbsup: just make sure you do it right the first time and make it extreamly durable...fixing all 1 off pieces is a :a-censored:

Glad I inspired someone though...more customs are needed!

IceSeal,

I'm highly impressed by the work on this rifle. Very outside of the box thinking there man... I can't wait to see a finished project... I won't consider this a 'mod'.. This is artwork. Good luck mang..

-Bodie

Edited by Bodie

Im not an tanaka expert, but do you have the G&G Power-Bolt? It kinda looks like it to me, but like I said, I'm no expert.

If it is one, how is it? I am thinking of getting into tanaka's and I am doing some looking around this part of the forum to get an idea of the guns.

Pmed about the MST-100 look alike ;) you may just be able to have the one in the pics as im still unsure if I want to go with the New M40a3 style with the S&B scope, badger DBM w/long mag, and imbeded barrel rail thing by badger...or if I want to just make a new MST-100 using a more expensive scope and do the dials differently so they look closer to the real thing...and of course non illuminated ;)

And no that is not a power bolt. It is a PCS bolt which came on the earlier Pre-ban models. Im not sure on the guality of the power bolt as ive heard that it can be quite inconsistant and ive had the PCS bolt which can go up to 600fps...and I can throw it on compressed air so ive had no reason to change that out.

On another note...ive moded the King Arms VSR chamber heheh! I couldnt leave it alone could I...

mods to the chamber are as follows. A set grub screw in the very front of the chamber was placed to thold the barrel from moving forward because I cant use the endcap they provided due to the modifcations done to the barrel. and the second mod is ive taken the Flat square alluminium piece and filed the part that contacts the hop-up rubber into a V like the true VSR chambers. ive seen how it puts pressure on the rubber and its soooooo pretty! I expect this now to get better accuracy than your typical Conversion chamber kit. 300' is looking more and more consistant by the day.

There will be a post probably by friday night. Im getting the fiber glass cloth from work for almost nothing and everything is preped and sanded and smoothed for the final fiberglass coating. I will also fill the :censored2: end of the stock up with that "sniper fill" ive been talking about. All thats left after that is to do a finishing sand, paint and do the cheak rest and spacer system in the butt end!

I also have a double project going on that I havent told u guys about. I took a bar-10 made an adjustable rear end (m24 sytle) and modified the front end to look like the M24. The project is a Bar-10 M24. I figured the CA can be finiky and everyone loves a VSR setup so why not make a VSR m24. Im also going to be fiberglassing it that same day so ill throw a few pics of I in there as well.

Stay tuned! this is the good part

yep I know about that spacing. The scope I used didnt allow for me to do that. It is however the correct length..maybe 1/4 short but that would be it. The new scope I have picked out for the 2nd MST-100 build will allow me to get alot closer to the specs but not exact...I don't think ill ever be able to get perfect unless I buy one and make a mold of it =) which is hopefully in thext 2-3 years will be a reality for me. The new scope though has a large price on it...the donor scope is 90-100 by iteslf without any work done so...it will be more expensive.

Ok ladies. Started the fiberglassing process and just about finished it...just have to strengthen a few areas I couldnt back fill with the "sniper fill" which really bumbed me out. BUT as you will see..its plenty heavy already :twisted:

Its RAW weight...this is with nothing on it, just the stock itself...no cheak rest or adjuster system yet. It may kill me...

100_2203.cc0.th.JPG

A little ugly photo op.

100_2207.f34.th.JPG

100_2211.th.JPG

100_2209.th.JPG

and a pic so you can see its solid as a rock. going to fill the last inch with Devcon or Marine Tex just to give it a really sturdy ending..and so that the nut tubes (more on this later) will have a more stable mounting point.

100_2208.f3b.th.JPG

Next on my list to do:

-strengthen handle

-bondo final curves (including those bulges next to the rear tang)

-Give sanding to its final finish

-drill holes for adjustable cheek rest system

-drill holes for spacer system

-order Duracoat for guns =)

-mount bipod studs and flush cup mounts (yes flushcup mounts)

seems like alot left to do but not really. What I can see taking the longest is the spacer system as I have to find some rubber for the butt end and then cut up identical spacers. 3 of the same size and 2 of the same size.

Going to bring it out onto the field tomorrow to give her a test fire to see just how well the VSR setup goes =)

Hope your all enjoyin this...I know I am!

EDIT: and for all you King Arms VSR converions owners.

100_2212.th.JPG

yep I did it :D V hop up actuator like the VSR.

Edited by IceSeal

even after 2 layers there was a soft spot in the fiberglass...just on the pistol grip and I wasnt willing to risk it breaking that day. Still havent put a single round through it =( I need it done by the 19th though so at the very latest ull get results shortly before that...that is my deadline now.

yea I know they use the new S&B scope I just personaly like the old M40a3 look opposed to the new one with the detachable mag system and that Badger rail bedded in the stock up front. Also it is a bit easier to get a scope with the MST dimensions done than the S&B, also id have to add a fake knob and not have it break off.

Sorry for the dealy on this project guys, alot of ops have come up and I was forced to build 2 purpose rifles for myself for them before this can be finished. The only thing ive done is started to shape it up better with bondo and such

Don't know if it was a mis-spell but you said you like the old look of the m40A3, there is no old look. The MST100 was traded in with the M40A1 parts. Everything was traded in and the recievers of the M40A1's were melted down.

There is no rail up front on the USMC M40A3's... there are some private ones floating around that are clones and have the rail up front but the USMC ones do not. The Badger DM system is on half of the M40A3's. They decided to only do half of them with the DM system cause of Badger, they could not get the DM system to them fast enough so the order half with the DD ROSS. From the start of the M40A3 is they used all the same stuff (including the S&B, never used MST's) The only difference was half were ordered with DD ROSS bottom metals and half were ordered with Badger DM systems.

They use all flush cups except one sling stud upfront for a bipod. So that makes 6 flush cups and 1 sling stud.

I don't want to sound whatever about this but I am just trying to get the most accurate info out there so its not misunderstood. Many people still think a MK4 scope is accurate for the M40's. This info comes from one of the instructors at Quantico USMC scout sniper school. I am in the process of building a correct (real steel) clone of the M40A3 so I got the info direct from the horses mouth so to speak.

Good luck with the project, the scope does look good! I would love to build one of those for a tradition M40A1 setup I want to work on in the near future. Thanks for sharing the process with us!

Nice job and very inspiring. SWEET :a-laugh: Also what are the dimensions because I want to make an m40a3 out of cardboard and maybe try this only with a classic army m24?

Gordon

Edited by TOMMY GUNN

hmm...from what I was told from an armour for the marines is that they are slowly converting all to the S&B which all is just about done now and the imbeded rail over the barrel in the front is experimental on a handfull of rifles. The DMBs are all slowly going into the m40a3 system and the DD ross ones are only on there because they were transfered from the M40a1 rifles.

and the m40a3 did have Unertl/MST-100 scopes on it because I talked to one of the heads at USO (makers of the MSt-100) (bought some stuff off him too) and there are 2 sets of rings for the M40a3. One set which is somewhat of a standard set the Max in the front and the regular in the back with the 1" inserts which was ment for the MST/Unertl. The S&B however has a completely different set of scope rings due to clearance issues with the old rings. And there would be no reason for badger to make the MST ring set for the marines if they came with S&Bs right away because they use a completely different set of rings and the old M40a1 rifles didnt use the badger rings because it used the rings like Behemoth posted in the picture.

And I know for a fact the Marine Corps orderd the MST rings because I own the very first set produced for the Marine Corps contract :a-grin: also I bought those off the USO guy.

I too am building a real m40a3 clone =). So ive done plenty of research

also the M40a3 is on hold...it should be completed soon..just have to do the cheek piece and im golden. Theres a VERY good chance ill be sellling it as well. Might be converting back to spring instead of gas due to my area and the seasons my team plays in now.