Sign in to follow this  
questions

Cop Pulled Me Over For Speeding, Saw My Airsoft Gun And Said Gang Members Use These

I just remembered this...About a week ago I was late for class and I brought my airsoft gun in with me (in a gun bag). The car is a hatchback with no trunk and the back was filled with junk so I put it in the back seat.

Cop pulls me over and draws his gun and gets the gun bag and after he feels it and unloads the magazine to see it shoots airsoft he told me that these are gang member weapons. He said gang members in my area go to the games to train on how to use their real guns in real life situations. I told him I'm just a college student that was going to play airsoft after a test to relieve stress and he let me go.

I just remembered this...About a week ago I was late for class and I brought my airsoft gun in with me (in a gun bag). The car is a hatchback with no trunk and the back was filled with junk so I put it in the back seat.

Cop pulls me over and draws his gun and gets the gun bag and after he feels it and unloads the magazine to see it shoots airsoft he told me that these are gang member weapons. He said gang members in my area go to the games to train on how to use their real guns in real life situations. I told him I'm just a college student that was going to play airsoft after a test to relieve stress and he let me go.

I've never heard of gang members using airsoft guns, they don't help much with real shooting. The lack of recoil can make your aim worse with a real gun.

It's a possibility, but not probable. While I can see gangs using airsoft guns for training, the cost I feel would be too much, especially for a bunch of toys

Even though you have your airsoft gun in a bag, put it as far away from the driver's seat as possible, if anything, cover the bag with a towel or cloth to avoid any attention.

Finally, and I'm sure you probably figured it out, don't speed...

I don't find it hard to believe that gang members would use airsoft replicas to train with. We use them to train our skills as Officers so there is some validity to it. However, having been a LEO for 15 years, and seeing the "ability" most gang members have in aiming a firearm, I find it doubtful that replica's are being used as a training aid. That would imply that they actually spent time learning to shoot correctly.

I doubt gang members would use Airsoft guns for training. I know for a fact gang members join the Army and Marines for training, mainly because they are paid to be training and they don't have anything better to do anyway. That is limited to some of the more hardcore gangs.

He was probably trying to scare you into keeping them at home.

Edited by D4mnit

The student ressource officer at my school cant stand airsoft guns because gang memebers are accutally taking glocks and other hand guns and putting orange tips on them and walking around with them saying they are airsoft guns

Law Enforcement also use Airsoft gun for training as well. So what ever that cop said really is out of his line and if he is trying to insinuate you being associate with gangs and I'll take his name/badge number down and I'll file a complain to his superior.

Some gangs even go to the extent of painting the entire gun orange, red or blue to match training pistols. Then they can just claim that they are fake replicas.

Gang members do use thoughs, usually the younger gangs in middle school to younger highschool. Where I use to live there would be some gang members (not a serious gang but they cause trouble) with airsoft pistols in there pants thinking its "cool". With military in my family I would never do something as stupid as that. But yes its sad. Other bigger gangs use them for smaller armed robbery thinking if they get caught they would not be in as much trouble, or just trying to steal enough money to buy a real firearm. It is very sad. But that is from what I have heard and seen. Different places different things.

Edited by 125blackfire

Law Enforcement also use Airsoft gun for training as well. So what ever that cop said really is out of his line and if he is trying to insinuate you being associate with gangs and I'll take his name/badge number down and I'll file a complain to his superior.

It's Irvine PD. They pull you over for tint and treat you killed someone since there's no crime in Irvine. I'm used to this since I drive a Honda Civic Si with stuff done to it but this is the first time I heard about airsoft and a gang connection.

that is, untill you unload the magazine full of .45 hollow points...

Please, these are gang members we are talking about. More likely .25 hollow points, and nobody makes jennings training guns anyways.

I get the feeling this is one of those rumours that "everyone knows" about, like gangs using hello kitty painted AR-15s.

I want to be a cop, and I wish that this would happen to me after I become one, so I could show my badge, say "So do we, now don't you have something better to do than bug someone for owning a toy?" Of course, they would be more likely to be interested in whatever real gun I had in the back. Not that they could really do anything about it, assuming gun laws don't go very far south in the next few years.

I want to be a cop, and I wish that this would happen to me after I become one, so I could show my badge, say "So do we, now don't you have something better to do than bug someone for owning a toy?" Of course, they would be more likely to be interested in whatever real gun I had in the back. Not that they could really do anything about it, assuming gun laws don't go very far south in the next few years.

Well, not all Police officers, just like all people, are not necessarily balanced individuals. I know at least 5 people who went to academy because they wanted respect. They can't get respect anywhere, so they chose to try to be an Officer of the Law so people would respect their badge and their gun. They're still not getting respect, but it accounts for their attitudes.

Edited by D4mnit

It's Irvine PD. They pull you over for tint and treat you killed someone since there's no crime in Irvine. I'm used to this since I drive a Honda Civic Si with stuff done to it but this is the first time I heard about airsoft and a gang connection.

Irvine PD, No wonder. You are living in a Nanny city and when you are driving a ricer Civic SI doesn't help either.

LEOs will tell you anything if they think you may know something. I ran a stop sign once with no seatbelt on, my driver's license at home, bad registration and expired insurance. Needless to say, it wasn't my finest hour.. but I was 16 and didn't know any better. Anyway, the LEO only wanted to know about some stupid local gang, so he tried to tell me that my name matched an alias in his computer, to make me talk if had actually known something about them. I actually laughed out loud when he told me this, which probably wasn't the best idea, but regardless, I basically told him "I think theres a guy named steve in that gang" and off I went without a single ticket or having my car impounded, as it really should have been. Anyway, moral of the story: Play along with him, its 100% unofficial anyway, and none of it can be used against anyone until you are marandized, which isn't going to happen for speeding. Might as well see if he will let you off with a warning.

Its usually pretty easy to tell when a LEO is trying to get information out of you, know your rights and use them to better your chances.