95 members have voted

1. 1. What disorder do you have?

• None.
    • Autism/Asperger's.
    • ADD/ADHD
    • Down Syndrome.
    • Birth defect.
    • Seizure disorder.
    • Other (Please specify if comfortable).

I myself suffer from high-functioning Autism and a mild seizure disorder. I want to find out how many others like me with some sort of disorder play airsoft. I realize I may be getting too personal for some, and I know that some people may take offense to this poll entirely, but I want to see if there are others like me in the airsoft community. And I swear to G0D that if anyone makes fun of anyone else in this thread YOU WILL BE REPORTED IMMEDIATELY! I WILL NOT TOLERATE ignorance in this thread. I've put up with it on several occasions in my day to day life, I don't need that bull :a-censored: online too.

I've got ADHD. At times, I'm actually glad of it, because while it's hard for me to get stuff done, I'm able to think on my feet really quickly.

And the attention thing isn't all the time. In fact, if I get really into something, I can actually become so focused on what you're doing that its nearly impossible to think about anything else, which is actually a symptom of ADHD.

I've got ADHD. At times, I'm actually glad of it, because while it's hard for me to get stuff done, I'm able to think on my feet really quickly.

And the attention thing isn't all the time. In fact, if I get really into something, I can actually become so focused on what you're doing that its nearly impossible to think about anything else, which is actually a symptom of ADHD.

same here. whenever I'm playing I hyper focus on staying in and any pain I feel is dramatically reduced from normal.

Can we include disabilities in this thread?

I lost a good portion of my hearing when I was younger. This makes it very difficult for me to use headsets/radios.

Oh crap, I forgot about that kind of stuff. Yeah, put those under other. And so far I'm seeing more people than I actually expected to have a similar situation to me. I'm glad for the turnout so far and hope that others on this site with any sort of disorder or disability will come forward.

I don't have any, but we have this fan/light thing on our cieling and its about 27 feet higher than the dinner table, so the shadow it makes is big when the light is on the table, and we had the fan and the light on at the same time and I looked down at the table and it was just this huge swirling shadow on the table and I was lost in a trance, had a seizure, then I just passed out.

My list:

-ADD

-Mania

-Genetic Depression

-Hyperfocus Disorder

-Loose Temper

My list:

-ADD

-Mania

-Genetic Depression

-Hyperfocus Disorder

-Loose Temper

That sucks. And come on people, not everyone can just come into this poll and vote "None." I'm wondering how many do have some sort of disorder or disability. And the fan seizure thing sucks too. My seizures are usually like that where I just pass out. A lot of times I throw up too.

Edited by Bronco5150

I marked none because I techincally don't have any disorders/ etc.... but sometimes I find I can loose my attention quickly in certain matters. And I think I could have the hyper focus because like when im playing airsoft, or building model cars, I get so into it that the only thing rolling through my head is mathamatical equasions to determine how I should adjust my scope for windage, elevation, and range..... I focus in on every little detail, movements, noises, ranges, surrounding, everything..... but hyper focus isnt a bad thing really.

While I have none, a lot of people I play with aren't so lucky. While a lot of people make fun of them, they can sure kick some :censored2:, glad to have them on my team.

That's the kind of ignorance I'm talking about. I feel like a lot of people are just :a-censored:holes because they feel that having a disability or disorder makes someone inferior. But I'm glad to see you have an opposite attitude! :a-thumbsup:

yes:

tourette's syndrome

ADHD

Bi-polar disorder

Obsessive compulsive disorder

Obstinate defiancy disorder

severe recurrent depression

it's quite a shopping list, I know. let's put it this way, I had an interesting childhood ;)

it doesn't really affect my playing ability. I've been rolling with the big dogs for years now.

I have nothing that I know of.. I would hate to be eplectic tho, it would ruin my carear I am planning in the military. I do get anxiety (ftw) attacks every so often, such as when I am in a class I hate and I know my teach. wont let me leave. also, long plane rides on smaller jets.

Edited by Trevahhhhhh

Guest Classic-Ill
I have nothing that I know of.. I would hate to be eplectic tho, it would ruin my carear I am planning in the military. I do get enziety attacks every so often, such as when I am in a class I hate and I know my teach. wont let me leave. also, long plane rides on smaller jets.

LAWLS. anxiety*, Ftw.

The seizure thing sure is difficult. or was, its pretty well taken care of now -- with meds. I do get migranes alot though.

Ye its sad when I see people with disabilities get made fun of..... I try and stop it to... I meet one autistic boy, and I have to say he was the nicest person you could ever meet..... I just don't see how people can have the heart to make fun of someone just because of the way they look or the way they behave, its sad. Also my friend has the seizures when he sees blood, very scary thing.

LAWLS. anxiety*, Ftw.

The seizure thing sure is difficult. or was, its pretty well taken care of now -- with meds. I do get migranes alot though.

Same situation here. My seizures are anxiety induced, usually preceded by migraines, and under control for the most part with medications. And I xoxide2, I suppose I'm lucky because my Autism is pretty low key, and classified as high-functioning. But I am extremely fortunate because it could be so much worse. And Smeethinator, nice job handling the OCD! :a-thumbsup: There really is a larger turnout for this then I expected, so keep the responses coming. I'm glad to see the airsoft community accepting and embracing us with disorders/disabilities, and glad for us for getting involved in this great sport!

I'm very fortunate to not have any disorders. Although my eyesight is horrible (my contact perscription is something like -5.75)... I think it one of the most horrible things when people with disorders get made fun of. It makes me cry on the inside and just wonder how people could be so heartless... One of my best friends has some sort of disorder, I'm not sure what it is but I think its Autism. Anyways, I really hate it when people that are disabled get made fun of.

Story time: Once, I met this kid who was Autistic, but he had one thing that he could do and he could do it very well. He liked baseball cards. He had a massive collection and he memorized every stat of every player of every year. For instance, I could ask him "How many home runs did Alex Rodriguez hit in 2004?" and he would respond "2004? In that year he hit X home runs and had X RBI's and had an X batting average..."

It was one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed.

Oh crap, I forgot about that kind of stuff. Yeah, put those under other. And so far I'm seeing more people than I actually expected to have a similar situation to me. I'm glad for the turnout so far and hope that others on this site with any sort of disorder or disability will come forward.

In that case, I'm highly allergic to pistachios too for some reason hahaha. If I eat just a few I'll probably throw up.

Well Let's see. My son has DOwns, However I myself have a mild case of ADD, I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and recently was diagnosed with Agoraphobia. So It takes a great deal of effort to go out to play, but I try hard.

I am extremely fourtanate that I have no disabilities. Altho in middle school I was an aid for the special needs class and I gained a tremendous amout of respect for those teahcers and how well they handle there students. I also agree making fun of people who are diffrent is probably one of the most curel things a human being can do. Just my 2cents

If I get too hot or overdo it, I'll white out(sorta like black out but you see white, and its less severe)

I just have to be careful during summer months and keep myself very hydrated.

I'm Bi-polar.

I did not know that Aimfor, I know many Bi-polar people.

I myself have no metal disabilities but I do have many physical diabilites I have had two kidney surgeries, and broken around 30-40 bones and probably have a small case of radiation exposure due to the amount of x-rays, Cat Scans, and Radiation tests done on me.

I did not know that Aimfor, I know many Bi-polar people.

I myself have no metal disabilities but I do have many physical diabilites I have had two kidney surgeries, and broken around 30-40 bones and probably have a small case of radiation exposure due to the amount of x-rays, Cat Scans, and Radiation tests done on me.

IDM, you can't just go around saying I broke 30 bones without a story. lets save a post and have you just tell us now..

as for me, no disabilities.

slightly off topic, but as I learned more about genetics in bio, I've realized how likely you are to pass on a disorder.

Guest Classic-Ill
Same situation here. My seizures are anxiety induced, usually preceded by migraines, and under control for the most part with medications. And I xoxide2, I suppose I'm lucky because my Autism is pretty low key, and classified as high-functioning. But I am extremely fortunate because it could be so much worse. And Smeethinator, nice job handling the OCD! :a-thumbsup: There really is a larger turnout for this then I expected, so keep the responses coming. I'm glad to see the airsoft community accepting and embracing us with disorders/disabilities, and glad for us for getting involved in this great sport!

The only down side I really have with my seizures even at this point in my life, is the way it effected my early years.

I was on Depakote:

You may have thoughts about suicide while taking this medication. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, or if you feel agitated, hostile, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

(http://www.drugs.com/depakote.html)

I was also using Tegratol for a decent portion of the time. Which has similiar warnings about depression, and other fun stuff.

What should I avoid while taking Tegretol?

Tegretol can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of Tegretol, and can also increase your risk of seizures. Avoid exposure to sunlight or artificial UV rays (sunlamps or tanning beds). Tegretol can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and sunburn may result. Use a sunscreen (minimum SPF 15) and wear protective clothing if you must be out in the sun. Cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, other seizure medicines, and medicine for depression or anxiety can add to sleepiness caused by Tegretol. Tell your doctor if you regularly use any of these other medicines.

So lets face it, middle/high school was a depressing time, kids were hard on me which only made things worse. I became obese, didn't want to take care of myself. I had to literally move from CT to FLORIDA with my girlfriend, to get my life together.

The only down side I really have with my seizures even at this point in my life, is the way it effected my early years.

I was on Depakote:

(http://www.drugs.com/depakote.html)

I was also using Tegratol for a decent portion of the time. Which has similiar warnings about depression, and other fun stuff.

So lets face it, middle/high school was a depressing time, kids were hard on me which only made things worse. I became obese, didn't want to take care of myself. I had to literally move from CT to FLORIDA with my girlfriend, to get my life together.

Oh my G0d I was on Depakote for a while too. That stuff actually made my seizures worse and I was being wheeled out of school knocked out from my latest seizure nearly every day. I've never gone back to the POS doctor who prescribed that crap to me. Now I'm on Celexa and have had no seizures in high school. And that sucks about all the kids being hard on you. I've had some experience with that as well.

Oh my G0d I was on Depakote for a while too. That stuff actually made my seizures worse and I was being wheeled out of school knocked out from my latest seizure nearly every day. I've never gone back to the POS doctor who prescribed that crap to me. Now I'm on Celexa and have had no seizures in high school. And that sucks about all the kids being hard on you. I've had some experience with that as well.

I tried that for bipolar. It didnt work good.

Not me, but my oldest boy plays with me on occasion. He is epileptic and has ADHD. His meds have slowed his seizure frequency, but so far hasn't stopped them. Trileptal, Lamictal, and Kepra haven't worked. Currently he's on a mix of Lamictal and Kepra. And just last month my 4 year old was diagnosed with epilepsy after having several seizures in a week.

Don't let it hold you down or keep you back! Push forward into what you'd like to do. Within safety reasons of course....