Zogeta

Question On Surrender Rule

So we all know the surrender rule. The exact distance varies per team, but generally anything closer than 20-15 ft the rule is to that instead of shooting you must yell "SURRENDER!" and the other person stands down to avoid being shot too close. Simple enough. Good safety precaution in my book.

But my airsoft team's been having problems with this rule lately. Either we have people who completely disregard the rule and point blank shoot people with some of the most powerful guns, or we have people who sneak up on a team and that one person forces them all to surrender. So my question is how do you propose we can properly enforce the surrender rule and how can we deal with things like one person surrendering 5 or 6 people.

We really need to get this rule right, because the people who abuse or disregard the rule are discouraging others from joinging or continuing to play with our team.

We don't use one for the reasons you've listed above. It's considered a courtesy for us. I can either switch to semi and stitch you a shot or two, or make the offer. It's understood that if you turn on me, you've agreed that I can shoot you at the distance we are at. In 5 years we've yet to have an issue with it, as once it's explained most people understand it's put squarely on their shoulders.

Hmmm... I was thinking about this very question today. This is what I would do.

You could offer alternate means for mercying:

to prevent the single stealthy person from mercy-ing 3+ people, you can only mercy people as a group if you have an equal or greater number of people that are within the mercy range.

In the case that you are a single trying to mercy a group:

Knife Kills--- being tapped by a rubber bayonnett or double tapped with a bare hand

or (as mentioned)

offer them the chance to surrender, those that don't drop their weapons quickly can be shot close range

And if your problem is simply enforcing your current rules then make punishments for breaking it. I would suspend them from the game and/or the mercy rule can now be ignored on that person. Don't let them give you that "Well I didn't know that I was within 20ft of them!" thats a loud of bull, even if you were born without an understanding of distance you should still be able to tell that someone is a bit to close to shoot.

Obviously you want your group to know all of these rules before the game starts so everything is fair

PS Im glad to see people actually using the mercy rule, I for one hate seeing when my last commrade has been encircle at a 20ft radius by 3 350+ AEG's, and not to mention the prick on our team who likes to use his M-60 SAW (400+fps) at close range on unsespecting players

Edited by Tomahwk

PS Im glad to see people actually using the mercy rule, I for one hate seeing when my last commrade has been encircle at a 20ft radius by 3 350+ AEG's, and not to mention the prick on our team who likes to use his M-60 SAW (400+fps) at close range on unsespecting players

You shouldn't need an engagement range to stop people from doing that. That's just sad.

I was thinking about it, and I think our field has a pretty good set up:

if you can tap someone on the shoulder, they are automatically out (saved us from having idiots attempting "throat slitting")

If you are within about 20 feet, and don't want to approach the person, you can call mercy.

The person may turn around without being shot, but if they make to raise their gun, they are liable to be shot.

Call mercy if a person is surrounded with no method of escape, and you have a clear shot on them within 50 feet, if you know they will be obliterated (like 5 guys all trained on the one poor sucker). Announce "your are surrounded, we are within XX feet of you (or, turn around and look where we are), you may surrender, if you do not call "I surrender/something of that ilk" and instead choose to go to cover, we will fire" Obviously you may not have time for all of that, but that is understood when someone calls "do you want to surrender"

At my field, nobody explicitly describes the surrender rule, it's just common sense and courtesy to your opponents. If people shoot each other from up close and it becomes a problem, kick them off the field for the day. Very bad things can happen when people are shot from too close. Safety first. It would be much better for someone not to play for a day than for someone to get seriously injured.

What's wrong with the idea of 1 guy taking out 5-6 guys? It's pretty doable...switch to full auto, and just hose 'em down. If they don't see you coming, you could easily take them all out in 2 seconds or so. It's just being nice to surrender them.

It's not so much about distance as having a clear shot. I surrendered someone from 50 feet or so, simply because he didn't see me. I snuck up on his flank, yelled surrender, and he turned to look at me and saw that I had a clear and easy shot at him. Obviously I was standing there long enough to yell surrender, and could have easily lit him up, so he called himself out. That's how you do it...don't argue over how many feet apart you were.

Pretty good discussion going on here. The problem's been getting better. I think the best idea so far is if you try to fight instead of surrenduring from within the 15 or 20 feet, you get shot. I used surrender on the last game, bu then I realized there was 2 of them so I had to shoot both of them from just within the surrender range. I don't know about if you have a 'clear' shot from 50 feet, but if the enemy's surrounded, sounds good to me. I just have to enforce this rule with one or two players who were absent from the last game and would rather just shoot than surrender under any circumstances.

Now I just have to worry about the people who run way out of bounds for the CQC games and ruin it for everyone.

there are some very simple solutions. You can only safety kill two people at once. Any more then that you kill two then your out. If you really need to shoot the person just put one in their gear.

*sings* Why caaaan't weeee be friends? Why can't weeee be friends?...."

Plain and simple. If you are caught doing this, you will be thrown out of a game, and possibly never allowed into any field the state has to offer again.

We do not have problems, however, because we know each other quite well.

We don't use one for the reasons you've listed above. It's considered a courtesy for us. I can either switch to semi and stitch you a shot or two, or make the offer. It's understood that if you turn on me, you've agreed that I can shoot you at the distance we are at. In 5 years we've yet to have an issue with it, as once it's explained most people understand it's put squarely on their shoulders.

That's basically the same mentality the people I play with have. It works great, because you have a choice between giving up or getting shot.

If you play on the honor system, while that is more respectable and probably safer, they still have the choice between giving up or shooting you.

Honestly it's much easier to just shoot the person in the vest than to worry about surrendering. I have no problem getting surrender kills since I use a sniper rifle and nobody wants to be shot at close range with it even though I wouldn't shoot anybody that close anyway because I know a fight would probably break out if I was on the other side of the barrel. I really don't see a need for surrender kills as you could have just shot the person way before you were within surrendering range. Sheesh just throw a bb at them if you want to be stealthy.

So we all know the surrender rule. The exact distance varies per team, but generally anything closer than 20-15 ft the rule is to that instead of shooting you must yell "SURRENDER!" and the other person stands down to avoid being shot too close. Simple enough. Good safety precaution in my book.

But my airsoft team's been having problems with this rule lately. Either we have people who completely disregard the rule and point blank shoot people with some of the most powerful guns, or we have people who sneak up on a team and that one person forces them all to surrender. So my question is how do you propose we can properly enforce the surrender rule and how can we deal with things like one person surrendering 5 or 6 people.

We really need to get this rule right, because the people who abuse or disregard the rule are discouraging others from joinging or continuing to play with our team.

why do you care? its so mutch more intense when you are being shot at / shooting at that range. unless your a :censored2: and you cant handle a bb gun hitting layers of tactical gear?