Sign in to follow this  
skylar

Gear Noise

Adjust the motor height until it is perfect, shim your gearbox perfectly, fix compression, and add a sorbo pad. (if the compression is better, the piston won't hit the cylinder head as hard, thus reducing noise)

Those are the basics, but some people cover their gearbox in foam and such.

^Not really. My helical gears are more grindy sounding than flat cut gears.

Also you can get a silent piston set, and if your body allows it, use Dynamat/foam to fill the areas around the gearbox.

^ that only really works with AUG or P90 bodies. Most guns don't have enough room around the gearbox.

^ that only really works with AUG or P90 bodies. Most guns don't have enough room around the gearbox.

Not to mention that it doesn't allow heat to dissipate and if you use that around the motor, you are really screwing yourself.

Proper shimming and a proper height of the motor are the two best ways to eliminate noise. Silent heads can help, and occasionally a foam filled silencer will change the noise that the person at the receiving end of the gun will hear.

Guest Whorify

I used to be a believer of helical gears being quieter, but I disproved that to myself over 3 years ago. In a 400 FPS setup with systema super torque up helical gears and systema torque up gears flat gears (currently still using), the flat gears are quieter in my gearbox. For 3 years now, I haven’t built any guns with helical gears.

I was wondering how I can reduce my gearbox noise?

Systema makes a padded piston head and nozzle which lowers the sound significantly.

foam filled silencers help alot, I have one design for how to place the foam that I have found to be alot more effective than silencers you buy pre filled with foam.

Silent head sets are fine, but the best way is to get propper shimming and motor hight.