Sign in to follow this  
Xenithar

Silicone Gel...

I'm looking for some silicone gel for my cylinder but cannot seem to find any. I can find tons of silicone oil, like the stuff I spray into my barrel to clean it, but I cannot seem to locate any silicone gel. I am looking for the gel because that is what I have read and seen used for cylinder lube. In fact the V2 mechbox upgrade videos at Mechbox.com recommend silicone gel. Where can I find some good silicone gel for my MP5A5 cylinder?

I'm looking for some silicone gel for my cylinder but cannot seem to find any. I can find tons of silicone oil, like the stuff I spray into my barrel to clean it, but I cannot seem to locate any silicone gel. I am looking for the gel because that is what I have read and seen used for cylinder lube. In fact the V2 mechbox upgrade videos at Mechbox.com recommend silicone gel. Where can I find some good silicone gel for my MP5A5 cylinder?

dielectric grease works well too for cylinders

Well I found a few tiny things of silicone grease on sites like ASGI, but the price is insane. If I am going to pay that much for a grease, I want the best. That said, what do you each consider to be the best silicone cylinder grease and why? I won't be buying until I deposit some cash monday, but I want as much info as I can get before then. Oh and currently I have only bought items from ASGI, Airsplat, and Evike. If there are other sites with the quality of those, please let me know!

You could always get a boobjob then cut out the implants. But on a serious note, silicone gel is what is used in plastic surgery and some breast enhancing bras. You don't want to be sticking that in your gearbox. Look for silicone grease at a hardware or autoparts store. Just make sure to look at the ingredients and see that there isn't any petroleum products.

I bought some silicone gel/grease the other day at my local ACE hardware store. It comes in a little white circular container and the gel works pretty well in my cylinder.

That's what I use as well. Here's a pic

4095667.jpg

I put a tad on my O ring and inside the cylinder than put a drop or two of silicone oil into the cylinder. Gives a great seal.

I highly recommend it. It's meant specifically for O rings (for faucets and what not) so it is designed to give a good seal. I like it because it's sticky, but not too sticky to where it doesn't come off. I think it's like $4 and it comes with PLENTY.

Edited by Stealthmaster14

check out RC car differential oil, %100 silicon and comes in weights from 1000 to 50,000. 1000 is excellent for cylinders in cold weather, 3000 for warm weather, and the 5,000-10,000 for gears in cold or warm weather respectively (10,000 weight for like Sahara Desert warm).

I love this stuff, and its cheap compared to other solutions. A bottle lasts a very long time if you don't over apply it.

Here is a link to what I am talking about.

If you want O-ring grease check the dive industry for pure silicon grease made for air sealing O-rings.

Edited by ArmorerKen

I had to go into town today for some boot polish so I stopped by Advance Auto Parts and picked up a tube of Permatex dielectric tune-up grease. Is this what you guys were talking about? It was $6.29 and is larger than my tube of Permatex white lithium grease. The item number on the tube itself is 22058. Can somebody verify that this will works safely in my cylinder before I open it? I can return it unopened if this is the wrong stuff. It dosn't have any ingredients on it so I don't know if it is safe either. Thanks for all of your help!

PDF from manufacturer.

It is used for an entirely different purpose, but sounds rather useful. It helps isolate electric current from the air and helps with long term oxidization, is how I read the data sheet. It does state that the material is an

Excellent rubber lubricant
(not the words I would have chosen...). But it is not made to resist mechanical friction at all so I would have to say no to that stuff for cylinder or gears. Keeping the rubber o ring lubricated so it doesn't crack vs. allowing it to move smoothly and quickly up and down the cylinder are two different requirements. Not saying it wont do the later, but its not made to do it.

It could work though, I am no chemist.

slight google brings up this:

Permatex® - Spray Lubricant -

Lubricates and waterproofs all types of mechanical equipment. Stops friction and squeaks. High silicone formula does not attract dust or dirt. Prevents binding, sticking and deterioration. Non-gumming. Will not mar paint, rubber or plastic surfaces. Waterproofs and electrically insulates.

They make something to do what you want, makes me think the product you got is not their recommendation for this application.

Edited by ArmorerKen

I'll take this back then, and see if there is anything else. I also note on that data sheet that this is only 5~15% silicone.

*EDIT*

How about "Parker Super O Lube"? I can get that, but I am not sure what makes it up, and it doesn't say on the MSDS for it.

Edited by Xenithar

Would you guys please look at the darn link! Pure silicon made for gears! and weights light enough for cylinders! cmon just take a peak... it is sooo good to my o rings. still using a 4 year old stock marui piston and o ring in an AK with this stuff. No wear, no fps loss, no question in my mind it works epic. You can even buy weights for the climate you are in fer pets sake!

I don't normally buy it online I go to an RC shop that has it. The page is just silicon differential oil google 1st link. But Mugen is the stuff I use. It is made for what we use it for, small metal gears running off electric motors at high speed and/or torque. I find the lighter weights around 500-1000 are great cylinder lubricants, though if I have a tube of CA cylinder grease I will use that first. Its just so expensive to buy the 'for airsoft' stuff I normally only by the CA grease for final builds of custom guns for others. Just so the customer is not wondering about it.

I just bought a container of Guarders teflon silicone grease on ehobbyasia and filled my old syringe for washing out my gums after wisdom teeth surgery, of course I cleaned it before filling it though. Works great and you can use it on gears too, but I use lithium grease for gears.

I don't want to order a tube of freaking silicone because the damn transportation will double the cost. I just want to buy a tube that I can plop into my hand TODAY and not wait a week and a half for something I paid double for to arrive. The nearest Ace Hardware store is about 50mi away, so none of that for me. I need something like that, that is available at places like auto parts stores or hardware stores. Heck, the nearest hobby store is an hour away.

I tried that to no avail. Everybody in this county sucks as far as stores go. You'd have to visit or live here to understand. Let me put it this way though: The state is removing all intersections where a road crosses a four-lane, divided highway because the people here are so dumb that they try to cross all four lanes at once and cause wrecks instead of crossing two, stopping, and then crossing the other two. They always want the easy way out, and due to that all I can find at every hardware and auto parts store in my county are silicone sprays with "petroleum distillates" in them. I cannot find rubber-safe silicone here.

I am talking to OpSci in private and am probably going to take his recommendation of using Green Slime for my cylinder and possibly my gears. He's been around for a while so I assume that he knows what he's talking about. I simply refuse to pay $6.00 for that CA cylinder lube and then pay $10.83 to ship it here. That is ridiculous and a tiny tube like that should not cost almost double to ship what the tube itself costs! I have a Tower Hobbies store in Fayetteville and can get there in under an hour.

Ehobbyasia.com might be a good idea. Their shipping is cheap. It usually takes a week for stuff to arrive to my house. You could purchase some lube from them and use it until you find a cheaper alternative.

The CA tubes are flipping tiny. They give you two and it's enough for a few jobs, which isn't much at all considering how expensive it is.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/gas....html?limit=all

Take your pick

Edited by Stealthmaster14

Nice, but it's too late. I already ordered the Green Slime that OpSci recommended. If I am unhappy with it for any reason, I am eying that TM grease set. If it's god enough for a TM, it should be good enough for my JG.

Those bottles of pure silicon gear oil for RC cars last forever, they are many times the volume of a tiny tube of CA cylinder or gear grease. If 1000 weight seems to thick for the cylinder on high speed/RoF setups you can get the same stuff in weight down to 150 as shock oil instead of differential oil. But its all the same %100 silicon just at different weights for different applications. The only thing different about any other airsoft specific grease is the white teflon grease, which should be available at a hardware store (in any other state then yours apparently).

It may be available in our capitol city, but Bladen County sucks! The town council has actually voted to keep stores out of our county so that the council members' stores will not have any competition. The thing is, we all just go to other counties to spend our money. For example, Walmart has been trying to put in a super Walmart here for years, but the council won't let them because they wouldn't be able to rip off people anymore. Our local government is corrupt as heck.

But yeah, if we could get some decent stores in here, I could probably find everything I need. I do appreciate all of the information provided to me on this thread though. I'll put it to good use.

One last thing though. What weight silicone grease is best for my cylinder if I'll be playing in temperatures ranging from 100deg down to around 30deg?

I use 3000 but some go down to 150 for RoF. I like it a bit heavier as it stays on the parts better. Stay under 3000 though, thats max and for high FPS setups in hot summer weather. To start go for 1000 and see how you like it. It WILL work, but you may find you want heavier stuff to put on gears, I use 5000 for gears and it stays on nicely.

Two bottles is pretty cheap still, and likely same shipping costs. 1000 and 5000 and you will be a happy man. Ideal weight is different at the ends of that range of temp but 1000 will work great and only cause maybe a slight RoF loss at lowest temps.

Edited by ArmorerKen