to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

Well I'm tired of GG/Propane giving me incredibly inconsistent shots. So I have decided to go to a HPA/CO2 conversion. I'm moving to Texas in about 2 months and am not sure if I should go with CO2 or HPA. Since cold isn't really a factor in Texas I was leaning more towards CO2, but am still unsure. I would like to do CO2 cause I can order the coldshot(it's not that I'm afraid of tapping my mags, I worked in a machine shop for 4 years, I'm afraid of making a rig that will blow apart on me).

SO... I need some help here my 1st question is HPA or CO2, 2nd is what parts do a I need to build a rig for HPA or CO2, and what will be the general cost to build it?

Well I'm tired of GG/Propane giving me incredibly inconsistent shots. So I have decided to go to a HPA/CO2 conversion. I'm moving to Texas in about 2 months and am not sure if I should go with CO2 or HPA. Since cold isn't really a factor in Texas I was leaning more towards CO2, but am still unsure. I would like to do CO2 cause I can order the coldshot(it's not that I'm afraid of tapping my mags, I worked in a machine shop for 4 years, I'm afraid of making a rig that will blow apart on me).

SO... I need some help here my 1st question is HPA or CO2, 2nd is what parts do a I need to build a rig for HPA or CO2, and what will be the general cost to build it?

I've got a thread about this in this section already. It details the parts you need and a few of the costs. The biggest costs being the low pressure regulator and the tanks. Most HPA tank units come with a generic high pressure regulator built on that reduce the pressure to around 850psi (this is the average pressure for CO2). The size of the tank doesn't matter and those regs can be transerred from tank to tank. I've seen some pretty small HPA tanks. CO2 does not require anything like that and a raw unregulated CO2 source can be used due to its pressure already holding steady around 800+psi. The bulk of the work being handled by your low pressure regulator. The total cost will vary depending on how cheaply you can get parts and how much machining you can do on your own. $80-$250 is about average.

MagnumBB's Cold Shot kit removes most of the hassle with the tapping of the mags the only hard part. I highly recommend it to anyone would rather not mess with HPA or who does not have HPA filling sources at their fields (a common complaint).

Choice between the two gases is personal. The higher tier guns go for HPA. Its staight air, there is no chance of a safety burst disc giving way on a hot day or if left in your car, and its a uniform output. Its also more expensive, requires more upkeep, and will always be bulkier and heavier than the Co2 options (costs can vary as tiny 13ci tanks often get charged a full price per fill). Co2 requires less maintenance, is cheap, has a multitude of configuration options including very very compact ones, and can be filled at any paintball location or purchased at a local store (12gr caplets). However it is sensitive to heat and watching a tank blow a safety burst disk and vent safely is a sight to watch. In cold it will make nice puffs of white smoke like effects when it makes contact with cold atmosphere depending on your efficiency settings (albiet rare unless tuned for high volume low pressure). And finally if not setup right it can cause o-rings to freeze and crack when exposed to liquid Co2 in atmosphere (liquid Co2 under pressure isn't cold).