to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Drunk Hobo

Dumb question about gas guns

I'm getting a gas pistol and I have no idea what to buy (gas wise), how to deal with gas etc.

(Had AEGs until now)

If it says that it requires CO2, you'll need to buy CO2 cartridges, which you can find at a sporting goods store. They look like really tiny scuba tanks.

If it requires green gas, you'll need an aerosol tank of the stuff. I've never used that so I don't know where you would get that.

There's a lot of sites that sell green gas. With gas guns you can also use duster gas, or propane. Duster gas and propane is cheaper than green gas, but you have to buy a propane adaptor. Also, if you use propane, you will need to make sure you lube your gun often. Green gas is propane, but has silicone in it.

Far as my experience with gas guns goes, I'd say to avoid CO2. A lot of fields don't allow CO2 guns as a result of the potential for drastic changes in FPS. That being said, if you're using a CO2 pistol, it's almost certainly going to be using those single-serving cartridges, and you can find those pretty easily if you look.

Assuming that you're opting for more conventional gasses (GG, propane, duster, etc) then you'll most like end up with a gun that runs best on propane or GG. Personally, I have both a can of GG and a propane canister with the silicone lube and adapter. I use the propane when I play outdoors or when I'm loading up a large number of mags, and I use the GG when I want to test something inside, or when I'm too lazy to dig up and set up the adapter. I avoid taking the can of GG with me when I go to games where I know my car will be out in the sun, or when I'll be going to another state. A lot of standard GG containers are very weak, especially when compared to conventional propane fuel canisters, another reason I opt for the propane as much as possible.

Price-wise, GG is about $10/can (depending on size) and propane is about $3/can, but requires a $20 adapter to start with.

Hope that helps.

Keep in mind though that regular propane REEKS. Honestly, last year, some of the stupider people on my team decided to dual wield a KJW 1911 and a WE Silver Dragon in my dorm room. I came back from class thinking a gas line had broke and wondering why there weren't more Emergency Response people on the scene.

Evike has propane adapters with silicone chambers in them. That basically makes it green gas, but at way cheaper of a price. I use red gas in my KJW M700 for it's high power (too much power for normal pistols) but I'm switching to HPA for consistency.

Edited by NoKillsSniper